forum

Metroid Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Philoslother
Any and all Metroid thoughts, comments, wishes or whatever. Drop 'em here.
Roddie
I just wanted to say that Metriod Fusion is my favorite Metroid game that I've played. My second favorite is Metroid Prime.
Behon
Okay, my thoughts: First one is dated, never played Metroid II on Game Boy, Super Metroid's awesome, Fusion is good, Zero Misson's great, Prime 1 & 3 are really good, Prime 2 is meh, and I will admit to finding Other M pretty good despite the near-universal hate for it. Haven't played the pinball game or Hunters on DS either.
bomber34
I love all Metroids :D
Metroid Prime is my favourite game ^^
The first one doesn't fit in any way in this modern gaming world xD
2 was ... idl where i have to go.
Super Metroid is nice.
GBA metroids never played.
DS Hunters is pretty good multiplayer fun ;D i hope they do something like that for 3DS
I wanna play Metroid other M because it is a 50 - 50 thing either you hate or like it.

The only metroid i finished 100% is Metroid prime 3.
My favourite song from the games is "Phendrana drifts" Metroid prime 1.
It is also my favourite location next to skytown.
Metroid Prime 2 is cool too but the beginning is terrible until your first suit.
Zelmarked
It was worth playing the GBA metroids not long ago. And I have a rig capable of much better things then emulation of old portable games. Just goes to show how great they were. Gameplay > Graphics.
Mianki
Played Metroid Fusion, Prime 3 and Other M. They're good~
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Roddie wrote:

I just wanted to say that Metriod Fusion is my favorite Metroid game that I've played. My second favorite is Metroid Prime.
Exactly. Other M is quite excellent as well. MP2 is crap though
Dieathan

Philoslother wrote:

MP2 is crap though
I found it to really good actually. I just hated the Boost Guardian boss.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Dieathan wrote:

Philoslother wrote:

MP2 is crap though
I found it to really good actually. I just hated the Boost Guardian boss.
The game had great potential, I just hated how un-streamlined it was. It seemed somewhat haphazard compared to the other Metroid titles. And like everyone else, I despise having to use "beam ammo". Quite ridiculous
Soaprman
I've been a big fan of the series for a long time... Prime and Super are my favorites. I still haven't given Other M a try yet for some reason... heard very mixed opinions on it.

And yeah, I'm in the "Echoes was great" camp. The beam ammo was never an issue to me... it's so easy to get. In fact, it's a good thing in a way because it gives low% players another thing to worry about. :P

Boost Guardian is an asshole. Would have been much easier if they had placed the fight a little later in the game than they did.
awp
LOVE Super Metroid. I've got Other M, but I hear nasty rumours about not being able to skip cutscenes, and if you can't skip cutscenes, I might actually NOT PLAY IT. Unless someone's developed a mod/patch which skips them.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Soaprman wrote:

I've been a big fan of the series for a long time... Prime and Super are my favorites. I still haven't given Other M a try yet for some reason... heard very mixed opinions on it.

And yeah, I'm in the "Echoes was great" camp. The beam ammo was never an issue to me... it's so easy to get. In fact, it's a good thing in a way because it gives low% players another thing to worry about. :P

Boost Guardian is an asshole. Would have been much easier if they had placed the fight a little later in the game than they did.
I just despised the unwieldy dimension hopping system. Boost guardian was never an issue for me. kinda easy actually

awp wrote:

LOVE Super Metroid. I've got Other M, but I hear nasty rumours about not being able to skip cutscenes, and if you can't skip cutscenes, I might actually NOT PLAY IT. Unless someone's developed a mod/patch which skips them.
Funny. I never had those problems. No idea what I hit to skip them though. something like - i beleive. I just hit all the buttons until it skipped
Wojjan
Other M is a terrible game. A terrible, terrible game. Even if you can skip the cutscenes don't play it. Burn the disc, save a life.
Stefan
Metroid: Meh.
Super Metroid: <3
Fusion: <3
Zero Mission. :0
Prime: Okay.
Hunters: <3
Other M: Bought and never played. :P
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Wojjan wrote:

Other M is a terrible game. A terrible, terrible game. Even if you can skip the cutscenes don't play it. Burn the disc, save a life.
Other M is excellent. The only thing i didnt like was that the transistions between first and third person werent as smooth as i would have liked
mathexpert
Super metroid and prime 3 are my favorites, fusion was also pretty good as well. ^^

fun fact: samus was my first video game crush :p
Pimpi
Metroid Prime all three gamecube games are cool, Hard diff is fun.
Metroid Fusion is very good but saddly, it only has Hard mode on jp version.
Metroid Zero Mission is one of my favorites too.
Metroid Other M is not so bad, the problem: it really is marketable stuff.
mosluv
Why do people like MP3? It was so linear compared to the other 2. It took away the isolation you always felt in basically every Metroid title. All the guns were just reskins and had something to do with the grapple. Bosses were all in domes instead out in the open waiting to be discovered.

meh
bomber34

Nexy wrote:

Why do people like MP3? It was so linear compared to the other 2. It took away the isolation you always felt in basically every Metroid title. All the guns were just reskins and had something to do with the grapple. Bosses were all in domes instead out in the open waiting to be discovered.

meh
But it had SKYTOWN ^-^
Also the first fight against Ridley was epic.
Overall it wasn't your generic Metroid. New fresh things are mostly strange first but i really liked it.
This thing about the Hypermodus and the fact that you had to fight other bounty hunters made this game good for me.

But i can totally see your point. This is the metroid i finished really quick.
awp
I found Metroid Prime 3 to be an incredibly immersive experience.

The downside to that is Metroid Prime's setting is "a bunch of barren, lifeless, dull planets" so I felt like I really WAS exploring lifeless, dull planets, and it just wasn't that fun for me.
Cuddlebun
I loved Prime 1 and 3, Echoes can go eat a dick.

I have Other M but I don't have access to a Wii at school and I never go home for more than like two days so I haven't played it yet ;~;

awp wrote:

I found Metroid Prime 3 to be an incredibly immersive experience.

The downside to that is Metroid Prime's setting is "a bunch of barren, lifeless, dull planets" so I felt like I really WAS exploring lifeless, dull planets, and it just wasn't that fun for me.
"these planets have no sentient life, just lifeforms that want to kill you as soon as you enter their range because fuck you". The actual occasional interaction with sentient beings was what made Prime 3 kinda nice, even if half of those sentient beings later wanted to kill you as soon as you entered their range.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Nexy wrote:

meh
MP3 provided a much more immersive experience then any other of the other titles, thanks to the wii's motion tracking technology. Kinda makes you feel like you're actually Samus. Kinda. I also enjoyed the little bit of interaction with other sentient beings.
mosluv
I can see all your points, but still couldn't get into it all that much. I LOVED the isolation you had in MP1 and 2 and was way more immersed in them.

Oh well, thanks for the responses.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

Nexy wrote:

I can see all your points, but still couldn't get into it all that much. I LOVED the isolation you had in MP1 and 2 and was way more immersed in them.

Oh well, thanks for the responses.
I did love the mysterious element in MP2. It had the darkest feel and I loved the way you had to figure out what had happened through logs and the little mini-movie thing from the trooper Captain
Dieathan
I found Other M to be good for the most part. Its just the story that was the issue. That and the final boss wansn't really a final boss. I died so many times since it took me a while to find out that you didn't need to kill the enemies but really aim the cursor over the centre of the screen for a few seconds while keeping them out of the way.
awp
MP1 was isolated but the planet itself felt much more alive/rich/interesting. There was more to discover.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

awp wrote:

MP1 was isolated but the planet itself felt much more alive/rich/interesting. There was more to discover.
Very true. I kind of liked the desolation of MP2 though. It was interesting. Other M was too...eh...linear for me to get much joy out of discovering anything other than the usual power ups. MP3's whole traveling-back-and-forth-between-worlds thing was quite excellent, kept me on my toes.
Dieathan
I liked MP3 but I found it rather easy. I think I only died once or twice in the entire game on my first playthrough.
Not to mention, since it was possible to get the locations for the expansion power-ups in-game, it was a sinch to get the full ending.
awp

Philoslother wrote:

Other M was too...eh...linear
NAIL IN THE FUCKING COFFIN MOM is linear? Man that's a buzzkill to hear. One of the things that made Super Metroid one of the best games of all time was its level design and ability to perform sequence-breaking manoeuvres. MOM was responsible for carrying on that legacy D:
Lybydose
Most, if not all of the Metroid games after Super Metroid are designed to be linear. If you play by the rules, there's generally only one place you can go. You're supposed to collect items in a specific order.

It's just that you can abuse bugs or level design oversights that allow you to skip around. Metroid Prime had a ton of things you could abuse to break sequence. You could tell that most of these bugs were not intentional on the developers' part because they fixed many of them in later releases of the same game. Then Prime 2, which used the same engine, had even more things fixed.
Topic Starter
Philoslother

awp wrote:

Philoslother wrote:

Other M was too...eh...linear
NAIL IN THE FUCKING COFFIN MOM is linear? Man that's a buzzkill to hear. One of the things that made Super Metroid one of the best games of all time was its level design and ability to perform sequence-breaking manoeuvres. MOM was responsible for carrying on that legacy D:
It may be linear, but I'm a sucker for a good story and some melee combat. Still loved it.
show more