forum

[Archived] "Stutter" Performance issue Information gathering

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dntm8kmeeatu
Recently a surge of the user base has been experiencing issues with osu! in which the game "Stutters" Or Teleports back and forth rapidly for a second or two, obviously harming the flow of the game.

This thread is a request for anyone who has fixed this issue, to please provide your fix, or anything that helped in regards to this issue. If you have not personally fixed it, but had a friend or saw a thread or guy on reddit fix it, please provide the steps or what you remember helped fix it.

I'd like a few bits of information;
1) How severe were the stutters?, how often did they happen?, How long did they last?
2) What did you do to fix them, or reduce their frequency?
3) What Operating System & Update version are you using?

This information at the least will help me understand potentially what causes this issue consistently, or alert me of new, or the most effective ways to deal with this issue. This is a personal request for this information, not for any dev stuff or anything like that. Nothing in osu! has changed that would cause these issues, so it's 90% likely it's an issue with Windows, a Windows service, or how some of you have your computer set up.

If you came to this thread looking for a fix; that's not what this post is originally for, but the comments may have some ways to help (if any exist). I personally suggest closing or disabling all background programs and processes as a start. Things like Anti-virus are known to cause issues, so try temporarily disabling that too at your own risk (always remember to turn it back on!)

Thanks for providing potential information in regards to this issue. If someone has already posted the same fix, please make another reply either saying that worked too, or saying it again. This will help me judge how effective a "fix" is. Please try to keep nonsense or off topic comments in this thread to a minimum, just so things are easier to track. I may have to delete unwanted replies.
Tobias Leander

Fixes regarding audio/visual stuttering

1. Restart your computer, this will fix the issue in most cases.

2. Reinstall your audio and video drivers. (do not skip this)

3. Open task manager and check if anything is using up a lot of recourses and close some of the programs using the most recourses.

4. Turn off superfetch/sysmain "How to disable Superfetch" This fix is only temporary.

5. Go to task manager, right click osu and click go to details, right-click osu.exe and set priority to RealTime.

6. Update/Reinstall your Game Ready drivers from Nvidia if you use that.

7. Check if you have at least 3-6gb storage available on the drive you have installed osu on.

8. Make sure your computer isn't overheating 80c and up.

9. Disable overlays u might have on examples, Discord game overlay, MSI afterburner overlay, any fps overlays, ect..

10. Do a virus scan as you might have a virus using up your recourses, would suggest doing a virus scan with Malwarebytes.

If nothing above worked, there has been some issues going around with Antimalware Service Executable making people lag, this is only affecting a very small amount of people as far as I'm aware, if you want to know if you have the problem, open task manager, if you see this happening, then you probably have that issue, if you don't see that happening I do highly suggest not doing this.
How to disable Antimalware Service Executable

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run Dialog Box.

2. In the Run Dialog Box, type regedit and click OK to open the Registry Editor.

3. In the navigation panel on the left, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender.

4. If you find a registry entry named DisableAntiSpyware, double-click it to edit it and set its value data to 1.

-If you do not see a registry entry named DisableAntiSpyware, right click on Windows Defender and select New > DWORD (32 bit) Value.

-Double click on the newly created Then name this new registry entry as DisableAntiSpyware and set its value data to 1.
denox8
I am experiencing random stutters while playing as well.

I didn't manage to reliably fix it. It's a gamble of restarting osu for me. Some sessions don't stutter at all, others every few seconds. It's pretty frustrating because of it's randomness which makes it impossible to predict when one stutter may occur and ruin your FC.

I tried the following fixes:

-Disabling SuperFetch
-Disabling Shader-Cache in NVIDIA Controlpanel
-Disabling Fullscreen-Optimizations
-Reinstalling osu
-Using different osu builds
-Clearing Standby-Memory
EDIT: Tried the Solution of Mr_Shiro_ - Even with my Ethernet-Adapter disabled I get random stutters.

I'm running Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.165

Hardware:
i5 2500k @ 4GHz
GTX 770 4GB VRAM
8GB DDR3 RAM
Mr_Shiro_
I asked my dad about this stuttering thing, and he told me that it could be caused by wifi interrupting the CPU by sending information while playing. He told me to download this thing called Wireshark, which keeps track of information sent and received by my computer while it's on. Using this, I noticed that whenever osu sends info to osu.ppy.sh, the slight stutter happens. A temporary fix is to just play with wifi off, but as it says, it is a temporary fix. Hope this helped.

Edit: I think why turning Superfetch off works is because Superfetch randomly downloads/uploads data because windows wants to "Maintain" and "Improve" without you knowing so.
Exty
I was experiencing this for a week until someone told me to turn SuperFetch off, the stuttering was very often. This seemed to have fixed it until today, Superfetch is still off yet the stutters have returned. Superfetch seems like a temporary fix atleast?
Mr_Shiro_

Exty wrote:

I was experiencing this for a week until someone told me to turn SuperFetch off, the stuttering was very often. This seemed to have fixed it until today, Superfetch is still off yet the stutters have returned. Superfetch seems like a temporary fix atleast?

Try playing with your wifi off.
DarknessAUS
ive tried everything people have said to do. this has never happened to me only today it started happening.
zharga_Lolz
whats superfetch?
also did you stutter for like a secons when you start a map? (just making sure were talking aboutt the same thing)
Exty
If you're stuttering only at the beginning of maps, check your universal offset settings in osu!, when too high/low it can cause that stutter. The issue i believe this thread is about is an issue where the game will constantly stutter throughout playing, and it's like the map/song get rewinded for a second when it does it.

For an update on my previous comment; My driver needed updating which has fixed the issue for me, so I think turning off SuperFetch (and disabling it to stop it from automatically starting again next time you turn the PC on) seems to be a fix, it pre-loads apps that you use often, so if you play osu! everyday it will set it on preload to "load faster", along with any other apps you use alot. Wondering if it can be having a conflict somewhere with the game?
Aerath

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

Superfetch randomly downloads/uploads data because windows wants to "Maintain" and "Improve" without you knowing so.

Superfetch preloads files from disk into memory, because it thinks you will soon use them (it can detect for example that you open your mail app every morning, and many other patterns, simple or complex).
So Superfetch only affects disk performance. However it's usually a bad idea to disable it, because you will have to load these files anyway, resulting in delays and disk and memory usage bursts rather than loading things progressively.
Some cases may train it in a wrong way, making it load lots of useless stuff. It may be the case here, considering the enormous amounts of files osu! uses, and the fact they almost change on every use (except if you're always playing the same beatmaps and not scrolling through the list, making it not load other background previews).
I hope that also answer your question, zharga_Lolz.

The services mainly involved in downloading for "improvement" are BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and Delivery Optimization.

By the way CPU interrupts often have close to no effects (but sometime do) on CPU performance. Rather than using a network sniffer (there is too much noise, a newcomer can't find anything with that), look in "Processes" tab of your Task Manager for the line "System Interrupts". If it's under about 5%, it's certainly not the cause of lags.
Zoochie

zharga_Lolz wrote:

whats superfetch?
also did you stutter for like a secons when you start a map? (just making sure were talking aboutt the same thing)

For me this issue starting occurring when I launched osu! today, the first song I played I noticed the map stuttered. (I did not change any settings from when I played the night before, when it was running fine)

Secondly I noticed the rest of the song is noticeably out of beat, and remains that way. Even when watching a replay, the song stays out of beat with the map. (tested many ranked maps, the issue occurs consistently)
Topic Starter
Dntm8kmeeatu

Zoochie wrote:

zharga_Lolz wrote:

whats superfetch?

For me this issue starting occurring when I launched osu! today, the first song I played I noticed the map stuttered. (I did not change any settings from when I played the night before, when it was running fine)

Secondly I noticed the rest of the song is noticeably out of beat, and remains that way. Even when watching a replay, the song stays out of beat with the map. (tested many ranked maps, the issue occurs consistently)

Your universal offset is wrong, Set it to 0 in the options menu. This is not the same issue.
CleanlyWolf
I have tried several fixes. Disabling superfetch reduced the amount of stutters but the I still had the game stutter once or twice in a map. Repairing the game did nothing. Turning off shader cache did nothing and removing osu!.db from the osu folder and restarting the game did hardly anything (some times making it worse)
ShizuVoice
I'm having heavy performance issues on my PC after Windows update (from Fall Creator's to April Update) which is not present from the previous build. And I can't help it bear the lag when I click outside from my fullscreen osu! monitor to my second monitor which it takes 2-3 seconds according to the FPS counter. It also stutter when I was playing yesterday 2 times in a row with the 2-3 second lag. And, doing some software changes like SuperFetch didn't do anything because my PC is fast.

Specs:
i5-6400
GTX 1060 6GB
8GB DDR4 RAM

Mr_Shiro_
well, I noticed that whenever i start playing a map, osu forced the settings to turn on Vsync, so i just turned on Vsync and it seems like that fixed the problem for me. Getting around 0.5 ms and no stuttering.
Topic Starter
Dntm8kmeeatu

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

well, I noticed that whenever i start playing a map, osu forced the settings to turn on Vsync, so i just turned on Vsync and it seems like that fixed the problem for me. Getting around 0.5 ms and no stuttering.

That's impossible.

Vsync forces your framerate to be that of your refresh rate, so 0.5ms is literally impossible. You are mistaken.
Unexpected
Started these lag spikes about 13 days ago after turning my PC on. Previously windows wanted to update to build 1803 but every time it tried to go through the update procedure, it would just restart the PC mid update and corrupt my windows directory. There is no malware, there is no faulty hardware and I have tried running the update without any drivers but nothing works, it always corrupts my windows copy no matter what.

I'm still on build 1709 but i get the same exact issue everyone else is getting. Which is really strange. Also windows update managed to re-enable itself but without prompting an install for the 1803 build which was REALLY strange to me. It updated many other things except windows. Even after those driver updates, (and ones I performed second hand) I still get the same issue. This issue doesn't just happen on osu either, it happens systemwide at random times.

As ram increases to build up usage, the stutters get worse. So I thought it could be a page file issue but even then it didnt fix it. What minimized the amount of stutter I got was moving osu to my HDD (I have windows on a 120gig SSD) the stutters till happen randomly but the frame times are more consistent. I suspect this is due to the fact that windows processes are not interfering with your game, giving it more consistency.

i7-2600
GTX-1050ti
8GB RAM
120gig SSD
1TB Western Digital Blue

(social security number if requested Kappa)
Mr_Shiro_

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

That's impossible.

Vsync forces your framerate to be that of your refresh rate, so 0.5ms is literally impossible. You are mistaken.

0.9ms, my bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMF0QTmAwE
The video shows 1.2 ms, but that's because i was recording. The stutters in this were only in the recording, i didn't see it when i was recording.
Topic Starter
Dntm8kmeeatu

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

That's impossible.

0.9ms, my bad.
The video shows 1.2 ms, but that's because i was recording. The stutters in this were only in the recording, i didn't see it when i was recording.

Vsync is not working, otherwise you would be at 16ms. It's possible it's being overridden by your GPU Driver settings, please check those. You shouldn't be using Vsync anyways though however.
Mr_Shiro_

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Mr_Shiro_ wrote:

That's impossible.

0.9ms, my bad.

Vsync is not working, otherwise you would be at 16ms. It's possible it's being overridden by your GPU Driver settings, please check those. You shouldn't be using Vsync anyways though however.

These are my NVIDIA control panel settings:
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: Off
Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
Antialiasing - Setting: None
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
CUDA - GPUs: All
DSR - Factors: 4.00x (native resolution)
DSR - Smoothness: 33%
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off
OpenGL rendering GPU: Auto-select
Power management mode: Optimal power
Shader Cache: Off
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample opti...: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On
Threaded optimisation: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: Off
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1
------------------------------------------
Can someone try to copy these settings and see if it fixes the problem?
EDIT: The problem is fixed for me, btw. Just don't know what fixed it. Sorry
EDIT2: The problem is not fixed, just randomly started stutturing again.
Topic Starter
Dntm8kmeeatu
Change Power Management settings to Performance, or something similar (I have AMD so I don't know what NVidia has exactly)
FuZ
I have constant micro stutters
Compatibility mode and "Reduce dropped frames" reduce the stutters a bit but they're still here, they're not that big but very annoying when playing mania and ctb
I have everything at default in the nvidia control panel
Superfetch doesnt change anything

i5 2500K
8GB ram
GTX 1080

I had the same problem with my old HD 5870
louisevaliere
for me, the game is forcing vsync on, because I get 17ms response time. I'm not sure if this problem is related though. (absolutely unplayable. It feels like playing with a mouse underwater lmao) It only ever happens when I start the song. In the menu, the frames aren't limited. The stuttering interval is between like .5 - 5 seconds.
InFish
I can confirm that disabling the superfetch service resolved the seemingly random but very heavy stuttering issue on my end :D
fiftyframes
I started getting the random stuttering issue around a couple months ago - thought it was strange since I'd never seen it before. It would stutter about every 5 seconds or so, which made it pretty unplayable at that point. One thing I noticed, though, was that even while sitting at any of the menu or song select screens the track that plays in the background would skip the exact same way.

I checked drivers to make sure they were good. I also used Sandra to run some diagnostics and make sure my hardware was consistent. Everything checked out, so I tried closing out other programs and browser tabs (I always have a lot of tabs open for pages or videos to check out later) and that cleared up the stuttering issue for me - mostly. I still get a single stutter here and there while playing, but it's rare - maybe once or twice over a few hours.

It seems strange since I've got pretty good hardware. I may have to try the Superfetch tip if it happens to get really bad again.

i7-4960X 3.6GHz
32 Gb Ram
GTX 1080 Ti
Windows 10 Pro
Rajeevan123
Pls Help me Osu lag in the menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxCyHud7_4I

FIX: I Disable Anti-Virus SONAR-Protection
Lull
a
Mr_Shiro_
Yeah, i just checked again. For me, being connected to the Wi-Fi causes the stutter. I haven't stuttered once when i'm not connected to wi-fi. As soon as i reconnect, i start stuttering again. I don't think it's osu doing this, but more like Windows 10 starts doing something with the internet and just causes the whole computer to stutter, but osu is affected by it the most.
I did a bit of research on this stuttering thing and people get it on other games as well, since the April 2017 update for Windows 10 or something.
EDIT: My audio also stutters at the same time, and produces a short low buzz sound.
M00s
stutter after osu! update, anyone knows how can i fix it?
Kathovamid
Nothing worked so far
In this case, sound works flawlessly. Picture is the problem.

Hardware diagnostics didn't show anything suspicious. GPU, CPU and memory usage remained constant below 30%.

Win10 64
GTX 1080
i7 8700K 3,70 Ghz
2 x8 GB RAM 2666MHz

Full screen, letterbox

Nvidia Control Panel

slow-mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgY1HhgV5jQ
Xiah
My problems mirror what others in this thread are experiencing. Lull's video replicates exactly what i'm experiencing. It seems to only happen sometimes, some sessions are normal while sometimes it's unplayable. It's possibly related to fast startup, but I'm not entirely certain as I have that disabled, but I think windows updates turn it on. Will have to test it for certain.
Sl4yerKing
I believe completely uninstalling Discord and reinstalling it COULD be a possible fix, and it's probably worth testing out. It may have solved an issue I had similar to this (discord will save the servers your are a part of so you don't have to worry about losing them)
To uninstall it simply go to control panel -> Programs -> uninstall a program, and then find discord.
Unexpected
Video posted by Kathovamid accurately demonstrate my exact issues with the stutters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgY1HhgV5jQ
Pituophis
disabling superfetch does nothing for me. please come up with a fix soon
Darkstryk
I've tried all the fixes listed here none of them worked for me, I managed to fix it for a while by capping the fps to 240 instead of unlimited, but now the stutters have come back and are more consistent. Here's a video of the lag/stutter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgziupS0y94
Ulquileon
I just came back to the game and was really surprised to experience stutter while playing because none of my settings changed and they worked fine back at the time.

I tried a lot of things :

-Tweaking Nvidia control panel
-Removing osu and getting it back
-Tried every settings possible IG
-Close everything while i play
-Turn off Wifi
-Check for GC update

Nothing fixed it, i have like 2 or more times per song, this thing lasts for maybe 0.5 sec and i see an fps drop right when it's happening. My CPU never goes off 40% and i really don't know what to try next...

im running on :
- Windows 10 64bit
- 8Go of RAM
- Intel Core i5 3GHz
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
- 1920x1080 60Hz screen
- Osu in fullscreen

If you need anymore info pls ask me :)
Thanks for your help !
show more