forum

I'm stuck...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
altbleak
I've been playing osu! seriously for about 4 months now - not really seriously considering I have just about near 75 separate beatmaps in history... I guess I've been playing in a wrong way because now when I try 4 star maps which my "rank" apparently should... I can't without hr (and possibly hd) because without I start to wander with my pen because there is "too many" circles in sight. But I can't play them even in hr because the circle size turns so small that I can't play them without missing a note every so often or my reaction speed isn't just good enough for the ar... Do I just keep going with 5 stars in which I miss "a lot" because of too long jumps or streams and try to get past that.

Is it even normal to be able to play nomod 5 stars easier than 4 stars... I guess I have always liked maps where I can react instead of read the map. Wth even is reading in like... essence?
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play at 1* maps no mod halftime, when you SS consistenly go to 2*. Then 3*. Then play old maps.
Soo bin
just play 4 star maps that are AR 9 lol. Just group the songs by difficulty of 4 stars and search "ar=9"
I define reading as knowing in your head exactly what keys to press and when to press them and executing that action with minimal accuracy loss instead of just smashing/fumbling the keys when you hit the notes.
RamenBucket

mmmisHmasH wrote:

not really seriously considering I have just about near 75 separate beatmaps in history...

Get more beatmaps.

mmmisHmasH wrote:

when I try 4 star maps which my "rank" apparently should... I can't without hr (and possibly hd) because without I start to wander with my pen because there is "too many" circles in sight.

Don't play with any mods and stick with 4 star maps. 4 star maps have lower approach rate, and that's the reason there are "too many circles". Lower ar is a crucial part of the game, both in gameply itself and improvement.

mmmisHmasH wrote:

Is it even normal to be able to play nomod 5 stars easier than 4 stars...

That's what you think, but have you truly played any difficult 5 stars? You won't be able to do so unless you have mastered easier maps.

There is no right or wrong way to play the game, but there are better paths. The star system is not just for show. Play easier star levels before moving on to harder ones. Also mods. Mods are a drastic alteration of the original game that will hider your speed of improvement.

Gl and plz enjoy game.
Topic Starter
altbleak

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play at 1* maps no mod halftime, when you SS consistenly go to 2*. Then 3*. Then play old maps.
guess I'll start there

RamenBucket wrote:

mmmisHmasH wrote:

not really seriously considering I have just about near 75 separate beatmaps in history...
Get more beatmaps.

mmmisHmasH wrote:

when I try 4 star maps which my "rank" apparently should... I can't without hr (and possibly hd) because without I start to wander with my pen because there is "too many" circles in sight.
Don't play with any mods and stick with 4 star maps. 4 star maps have lower approach rate, and that's the reason there are "too many circles". Lower ar is a crucial part of the game, both in gameply itself and improvement.

mmmisHmasH wrote:

Is it even normal to be able to play nomod 5 stars easier than 4 stars...
That's what you think, but have you truly played any difficult 5 stars? You won't be able to do so unless you have mastered easier maps.

There is no right or wrong way to play the game, but there are better paths. The star system is not just for show. Play easier star levels before moving on to harder ones. Also mods. Mods are a drastic alteration of the original game that will hider your speed of improvement.

Gl and plz enjoy game.
First time seeing most of those tips... thnx
Topic Starter
altbleak

Soo bin wrote:

I define reading as knowing in your head exactly what keys to press and when to press them and executing that action with minimal accuracy loss instead of just smashing/fumbling the keys when you hit the notes.
but isn't that reacting. I remember from somewhere that those are separate attributes in playing osu! or was reacting something where you react to singular circles and reading is like... remembering jumps,+ doubletaps, tripletaps, streams, double streams, stream-doubles, etc. and a specific reaction to those in combination* with the beat of the map

*edit: in sync
RamenBucket
My definition of reading is the recognition of certain patterns and rhythms within the game and the ability to then process and execute those patterns with minimal latency and mistakes.

Reading low approach rate is hard because there are many different patterns on the screen at once. Playing easier maps (aka lower approach rate) will improve the recognition of those patterns, and it will allow you to recognize those patterns on harder songs.

The reason why mods are discouraged among lower ranked players is that it affects the pattern recognition (reading) of those who have yet to master it.

A good osu player uses a combination of reaction and reading to get the best results.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Just do what i said. You're used to react. You going to stuck if you play 4* because you're going to react to it and missread.
Didn't took me more than a week (playing a lot each day) to reach 3'99* getting 99% acc at every single map i had.
That made me able to start reading old maps. And as my skills improved i start being able to read almost any pattern. Play streams, etc.
Also once you understand how to play low AR it's something you will be able to do for ever. Even if you start spaming HR at 6* maps.

Once you get used to read low AR your rhythm sense will improve tons. What make you able to 99% 4* and 5* maps what you have speed for consistenly.
cydence
Try practicing the things you're bad at and and you'll slowly get better. Find maps with jumps and practice with NF until you can consistently hit them.
Topic Starter
altbleak
this is awful... I tried mouse just for fun and I have like 10 times better accurancy with it even though I have played osu only about 1,5 months with mouse... And I've been playing with/using pen for 5-6 months...

Could be because I've been playing games like 13 years of my 18 year old life with mouse and kb. But I want to play with pen :cry: ... still this is just... f%&?$€ck
ADelicateOrange
Getting frustrated is a great thing because it shows that you care, but if you're literally not having fun at all when playing: Take a Break. OSU! will be there when you get back from that break.

Also, I checked out your account and acc is a little low (even for 1.5k). What I did to get better was go into those songs I know that I could 100% FC and fixed the accuracy on those songs. Then, I went into the mid-range difficulty A's and fixed those (to the best of my ability). Slowly, I got better (still not 4 digit good enough), but that really helped me learn patterns and improved my accuracy. I went from 92ish percent to where I am now 97.10 and steadily climbing. YOU can do it.

No really though. If you're having no fun. Take a break. There are other great games out there.
ManuelOsuPlayer
You have a shit tablet or shit playstyle if after that amounth of time you still can't play.
Topic Starter
altbleak

ADelicateOrange wrote:

Getting frustrated is a great thing because it shows that you care, but if you're literally not having fun at all when playing: Take a Break. OSU! will be there when you get back from that break.

Also, I checked out your account and acc is a little low (even for 1.5k). What I did to get better was go into those songs I know that I could 100% FC and fixed the accuracy on those songs. Then, I went into the mid-range difficulty A's and fixed those (to the best of my ability). Slowly, I got better (still not 4 digit good enough), but that really helped me learn patterns and improved my accuracy. I went from 92ish percent to where I am now 97.10 and steadily climbing. YOU can do it.

No really though. If you're having no fun. Take a break. There are other great games out there.
It is still fun. Mainly just because it's cool to find new music to listen to besides the mainstream Spotify drake bs. It's just kinda frustrating to get a good score on a map and, next day you try it jff and... well... doesn't go so well anymore :lol:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You have a shit tablet or shit playstyle if after that amounth of time you still can't play.
yeah my tablet isn't exactly made for osu! Very large area huion for digital artwork. And the past Vacom cth/ctl tablets seem to have disappeared into a mist... or cost just way above what they originally did. As you have been scrolling through my posts I think you remember me complaining about my tablet area. I used to play on like 2/1 inch area that was reduced to that size via the osu!'s own tablet area control settings. Now I'ts a bit smaller than the "full area" players setting, and I've been playing with that for bit over a week... I might need to reduce it again just because of my small hand size :|

And yeah osu! sens is now 1.0 because I had the time to get the ratio "math'd" out in the driver because Huion doesn't have force proportions checkbox.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Pick an area where you can do back an forths from corner to corner. Stick with it. Get a better tablet. Or just back to mouse.
I'm playing mouse and i'm happy with my aim.
Topic Starter
altbleak
wtH? You play with mouse and you think you had the authority to question my tablet skill/improving rate with set amount of practice time, without any personal experience to reference? Goddangit.

whatever... I need to get some jump maps
show more