forum

EU article 13 copyright - Could it affect osu?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Quibbly

Luxembourg wrote:

Update: I think we’re fucked

Hello you seem new to OT. May I interest you in not f*cking bumping old posts so there is less trash being posted on? Thanks.
Refills
would quote quibbly but has trashipitus

yeah don't bump old threads you dumb shit
Serraionga
ColdTooth
There was never hope for this, there will always be people in the internet wanting to completely fuck over you, and if they're banning the internet in the usa, and banning memes in the eu, we're probably going to be fucked no matter what in the next 5-10 years, guranteed
[LS]PositoniX
sorry
Quintax
boys we're know officially fucked
abraker
Governments orgasm when they have the means to control its population in any way. Have the people not voice their opposition loud enough?
Aiseca
So, this is the start of the freedom apocalypse for everyone......
Too bad for the future....
ColdTooth
F
levesterz
F
Vuelo Eluko
knew it would happen, europe is perma vassalized and subservient to their brussels overlords. Bye guys, I will enjoy gaining the rank-ups due to european inactivity 8-) 8-)

abraker wrote:

Governments orgasm when they have the means to control its population in any way. Have the people not voice their opposition loud enough?
that's not how serfdom works fool

Axel Voss wrote:

When asked whether filters will be sufficient to keep Youtube users from infringing copyright, Voss said, "If the platform's intention is to give people access to copyrighted works, then we have to think about whether that kind of business should exist." That is, if Article 13 makes it impossible to have an online platform where the public is allowed to make work available without first having to submit it to legal review, maybe there should just no longer be anywhere for the public to make works available.
This is how european overlords see the people, as dangerous elements to be controlled. And this is nothing anyone there can do about it except invoke Article 50 (while it's still there) or civil war.

What do you expect from a governing body that legitimately sees "populism" as a bad word?

Europeans nationals should be terrified.
NeXt4r_
just use VPN looool

Honestly, it's not just Osu! that got affected on this, look at what will happen to twitch, youtube, facebook, ETC.

If the EU really want to protect the artist and other copyright stuff, they should've done it more correctly and more justifiably, if their original attention was just to remove any other copyright content (even if they show a small portion of it) and Don't know what is fair use, then they shouldn't have control the EU in the first place

(haha this thread is gonna be dead because of me)
abraker
Eventually osu! will get heat from EU and ppy will have show what they do to remove unwanted content and convince that the way they do that is the best they can do given their resources

afaik there are three things that can result from this

1) osu! is blocked in the EU. Players start using vpns to bypass
2) osu! carries on but a lot of the content that is owned by major record labels and other copyright owners that are likely to strike is purged
3) osu! carries on, nothing happens

It might be a while till that happens (a few years maybe?). I think there are bigger fish to pick on before attention is turned to osu!. If by then the featured artist list is increased ten fold or more then maybe option 2 will be more likely if not 3.

https://osu.ppy.sh/legal/terms also these two are going to have very big issues with Article 13

We assume no responsibility as to whether objectionable content has been uploaded.
We assume no responsibility over whether users have the rights to distribute uploaded content.
Vuelo Eluko

faiswusuf wrote:

If the EU really want to protect the artist and other copyright stuf
their goal is utter censorship and control. It cannot be more obvious.

abraker wrote:

Eventually osu! will get heat from EU and ppy will have show what they do to remove unwanted content and convince that the way they do that is the best they can do given their resources

afaik there are three things that can result from this

1) osu! is blocked in the EU. Players start using vpns to bypass
2) osu! carries on but a lot of the content that is owned by major record labels and other copyright owners that are likely to strike is purged
3) osu! carries on, nothing happens

It might be a while till that happens (a few years maybe?). I think there are bigger fish to pick on before attention is turned to osu!. If by then the featured artist list is increased ten fold or more then maybe option 2 will be more likely if not 3.

https://osu.ppy.sh/legal/terms also these two are going to have very big issues with Article 13

We assume no responsibility as to whether objectionable content has been uploaded.
We assume no responsibility over whether users have the rights to distribute uploaded content.
It's not like they can drag Peppy to court internationally, they will merely block osu!.
Tad Fibonacci
Vuelo Eluko
by the way it was renamed to article 17
Radiohead
if they block memes in the eu i am going to die alive, even if i don't live there, its still unfair :(
Wuxo
it got just got passed. the EU is doomed
Cyrotron

Wuxo wrote:

i hope you're joking rn
Wuxo

Cyrotron wrote:

Wuxo wrote:

i hope you're joking rn

i wish ....... but no, i am not joking https://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-article-13-vote-article-17
NyarkoO
Welp.

:crab: FREE SPEECH IS GONE :crab:
Wuxo
this is the only time im glad my trashy country isnt in the eu... but this will sadly eventually affect the entire internet
TeeArctic1
Welp, been nice knowing you all
Achromalia
Yikes.
Vuelo Eluko
lol
Pemlory

faiswusuf wrote:

just use VPN looool

Honestly, it's not just Osu! that got affected on this, look at what will happen to twitch, youtube, facebook, ETC.

If the EU really want to protect the artist and other copyright stuff, they should've done it more correctly and more justifiably, if their original attention was just to remove any other copyright content (even if they show a small portion of it) and Don't know what is fair use, then they shouldn't have control the EU in the first place

(haha this thread is gonna be dead because of me)

i heard in china they banned VPN , it's probaly possible that EU try to ban vpn as well, sad tbf, better spend your 2 years of freedom of internet.

imo China censorship is insane , EU is pretty much most likely want to ban everything involve internet while some citizen are so unaware that the articles has been approve,when they suyddenly realize and it's too late....adios .
Aiseca
I am glad I'm in Asia....

Jokes aside, this law is just plain stupid, like they could have been talking and taking measure on some more impactful laws for the greater people; not to secure thier political asses against meme assaults.

Again, I say, this law being passed is stupid as fk.
Tad Fibonacci
Imo people would still use VPN even if it's banned. There are still VPN users in China.

And I don't think the law is stupid either. It seems stupid but it's a quick cash grab for them. Imagine you could copyright claim anything on the internet.
Pemlory

Tad Fibonacci wrote:

Imo people would still use VPN even if it's banned. There are still VPN users in China.

And I don't think the law is stupid either. It seems stupid but it's a quick cash grab for them. Imagine you could copyright claim anything on the internet.

even more messed up imagine if you have to pay like 60 bucks just to open a news site and it's just 1 page only

Aiseca wrote:

I am glad I'm in Asia....

Jokes aside, this law is just plain stupid, like they could have been talking and taking measure on some more impactful laws for the greater people; not to secure thier political asses against meme assaults.

Again, I say, this law being passed is stupid as fk.

the law has good intention to minimilize piracy and make the copyright more tight but it's just clearly not even well executed
TheLegendaryHD
now i have to draw my memes, fuck
abraker
I'll copyright my imagination

everything I can possibly imagine is now off limits
Radiohead
im happy that im in the us, and yes i draw good so this won't be too bad for me but it still sucks.

you have to pay to do anything in the next 2 years
abraker
hmmm at least we can pay for freedom
Radiohead

abraker wrote:

hmmm at least we can pay for freedom

good enough :thonk: