forum

EU article 13 copyright - Could it affect osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bobbylux
The EU are going to decide on letting this new rule through which will maybe ban memes. But not just memes, basically anything that you don't own and is copyrighted could be blocked. Doesn't that mean that a lot of osu! beatmaps will be removed? Or maybe not because osu! doesn't come from europe?
Zekks
taiga wya?
Topic Starter
bobbylux

[ - Zekks - ] wrote:

taiga wya?
eh what
Serraionga
Flanster
For now it was rejected by the EP so we good.
KatouMegumi
osu's under peppy, who is under australia/japan, who would give zero fucks about eu laws
abraker

KatouMegumi wrote:

osu's under peppy, who is under australia/japan, who would give zero fucks about eu laws
Well actually osu servers are U.S. based, but the would give zero fucks too, so we are in the clear either way
ColdTooth

abraker wrote:

KatouMegumi wrote:

Well actually osu servers are U.S. based, but the would give zero fucks too, so we are in the clear either way
but remember that us's internet is getting fucked too
B1rd
Abolish the EU
abraker

B1rd wrote:

Abolish the EU
EU makes countries that were at war each other cooperate. The more inter-dependence there is, the better
B1rd

abraker wrote:

EU makes countries that were at war each other cooperate. The more inter-dependence there is, the better
Economical inter-dependence happens with or without the EU. The EU is a threat to national sovereignty and creates a supra-national bureaucracy that isn't accountable to voters.
Flanster
I dread when my country switches its currency to euro.
abraker

B1rd wrote:

Economical inter-dependence happens with or without the EU. The EU is a threat to national sovereignty and creates a supra-national bureaucracy that isn't accountable to voters.
Both are perhaps true, however the advantages I see in it are more diplomatic than economic because EU provides an incentive for European countries to work together and provide assistance to each other when needed.

Flanster wrote:

I dread when my country switches its currency to euro.
How come?
TeeArctic1

abraker wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Abolish the EU

The EU is far from perfect, from a mostly undemocratic and unrepresentative leadership unknown to the common man, to the vast amount of regulations, some of which are completely unnecessary.
The Euro is heavily dependent on the continued economic success of all countries which use it, which becomes a problem when situations like the one in Greece happens and you get a financial crisis that impacts every other country in the union. Inter-dependence isn't always necessarily good. And in times of war, it would be NATO, not the EU that makes countries cooperate, as they're sworn to do so.

That being said, the EU is the best european trade system currently avaliable as there is no viable option to replace it. Thus every european country needs to be a part of it to some extent or another, whether that means full membership or a modified trade deal. That also means it would be in everyone's best interest to try to improve the system rather than abandoning it completely, leaving Europe in a weak economic and non-competitive state.

Make reforms
abraker
^ I think this is the post I was looking for
B1rd

TeeArctic1 wrote:

The EU is far from perfect, from a mostly undemocratic and unrepresentative leadership unknown to the common man, to the vast amount of regulations, some of which are completely unnecessary.
The Euro is heavily dependent on the continued economic success of all countries which use it, which becomes a problem when situations like the one in Greece happens and you get a financial crisis that impacts every other country in the union. Inter-dependence isn't always necessarily good. And in times of war, it would be NATO, not the EU that makes countries cooperate, as they're sworn to do so.

That being said, the EU is the best european trade system currently avaliable as there is no viable option to replace it. Thus every european country needs to be a part of it to some extent or another, whether that means full membership or a modified trade deal. That also means it would be in everyone's best interest to try to improve the system rather than abandoning it completely, leaving Europe in a weak economic and non-competitive state.

Make reforms
It's empirically false that the EU is necessary for economical prosperity. Switzerland isn't in the EU and it's the most prosperous countries in Europe. There's nothing the EU does that can't be done by simple trade deals and treaties.

It's inherently dangerous and illiberal to have such a centralised bureaucratic entity superseding the democratic political institutions of each country. And there is no means to reform such a system when there is such a large gap between ordinary citizens and the EU hierarchy. The impetus for a reform could only come from the political class itself, which has its own self-serving interests and won't simply bring about comprehensive reforms because it's the right thing to do.

Case in point: many countries in the EU have been bough to ruin by EU initiative of mass immigration.
abraker

B1rd wrote:

The impetus for a reform could only come from the political class itself, which has its own self-serving interests and won't simply bring about comprehensive reforms because it's the right thing to do.
What are those self-serving interests that prevent them from bring about those reforms?
B1rd
Typically it's money from business and lobbyist groups. I can't be bothered doing a detailed analysis at the moment though.
Green Platinum
I'll wait until I actually see this enforced. I've only ever seen people people say it's a ban on memes and no proper legal interpretation. Seems like the actions of old out-of-touch politicians.
Feelteeth
Well there are tons of maps that are already disabled to download.
Also, being "community driven" helps a lot in this situation.
Topic Starter
bobbylux
Update: I think we’re fucked
Refills
update: don't bump old threads reee
johnmedina999

Luxembourg wrote:

Nice username
Quibbly

Luxembourg wrote:

Hello you seem new to OT. May I interest you in not f*cking bumping old posts so there is less trash being posted on? Thanks.
Refills
would quote quibbly but has trashipitus

yeah don't bump old threads you dumb shit
Serraionga
ColdTooth
There was never hope for this, there will always be people in the internet wanting to completely fuck over you, and if they're banning the internet in the usa, and banning memes in the eu, we're probably going to be fucked no matter what in the next 5-10 years, guranteed
[LS]PositoniX
sorry
Quintax
boys we're know officially fucked
abraker
Governments orgasm when they have the means to control its population in any way. Have the people not voice their opposition loud enough?
Aiseca
So, this is the start of the freedom apocalypse for everyone......
Too bad for the future....
ColdTooth
F
levesterz
F
Vuelo Eluko
knew it would happen, europe is perma vassalized and subservient to their brussels overlords. Bye guys, I will enjoy gaining the rank-ups due to european inactivity 8-) 8-)

abraker wrote:

Governments orgasm when they have the means to control its population in any way. Have the people not voice their opposition loud enough?
that's not how serfdom works fool

Axel Voss wrote:

When asked whether filters will be sufficient to keep Youtube users from infringing copyright, Voss said, "If the platform's intention is to give people access to copyrighted works, then we have to think about whether that kind of business should exist." That is, if Article 13 makes it impossible to have an online platform where the public is allowed to make work available without first having to submit it to legal review, maybe there should just no longer be anywhere for the public to make works available.
This is how european overlords see the people, as dangerous elements to be controlled. And this is nothing anyone there can do about it except invoke Article 50 (while it's still there) or civil war.

What do you expect from a governing body that legitimately sees "populism" as a bad word?

Europeans nationals should be terrified.
NeXt4r_
just use VPN looool

Honestly, it's not just Osu! that got affected on this, look at what will happen to twitch, youtube, facebook, ETC.

If the EU really want to protect the artist and other copyright stuff, they should've done it more correctly and more justifiably, if their original attention was just to remove any other copyright content (even if they show a small portion of it) and Don't know what is fair use, then they shouldn't have control the EU in the first place

(haha this thread is gonna be dead because of me)
abraker
Eventually osu! will get heat from EU and ppy will have show what they do to remove unwanted content and convince that the way they do that is the best they can do given their resources

afaik there are three things that can result from this

1) osu! is blocked in the EU. Players start using vpns to bypass
2) osu! carries on but a lot of the content that is owned by major record labels and other copyright owners that are likely to strike is purged
3) osu! carries on, nothing happens

It might be a while till that happens (a few years maybe?). I think there are bigger fish to pick on before attention is turned to osu!. If by then the featured artist list is increased ten fold or more then maybe option 2 will be more likely if not 3.

https://osu.ppy.sh/legal/terms also these two are going to have very big issues with Article 13

We assume no responsibility as to whether objectionable content has been uploaded.
We assume no responsibility over whether users have the rights to distribute uploaded content.
Vuelo Eluko

faiswusuf wrote:

If the EU really want to protect the artist and other copyright stuf
their goal is utter censorship and control. It cannot be more obvious.

abraker wrote:

Eventually osu! will get heat from EU and ppy will have show what they do to remove unwanted content and convince that the way they do that is the best they can do given their resources

afaik there are three things that can result from this

1) osu! is blocked in the EU. Players start using vpns to bypass
2) osu! carries on but a lot of the content that is owned by major record labels and other copyright owners that are likely to strike is purged
3) osu! carries on, nothing happens

It might be a while till that happens (a few years maybe?). I think there are bigger fish to pick on before attention is turned to osu!. If by then the featured artist list is increased ten fold or more then maybe option 2 will be more likely if not 3.

https://osu.ppy.sh/legal/terms also these two are going to have very big issues with Article 13

We assume no responsibility as to whether objectionable content has been uploaded.
We assume no responsibility over whether users have the rights to distribute uploaded content.
It's not like they can drag Peppy to court internationally, they will merely block osu!.
Tad Fibonacci
Vuelo Eluko
by the way it was renamed to article 17
show more