forum

I have been playing osu! On my laptop for 2 years now OWO

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pronet12
Yeah, i think the title can explain this situation. So after playing on my laptop for 2 years now(i'm now 36k), i'm starting to think that this is going to give me some hard time improving. I want to buy a computer, but i'm like 15... and my parents thinks that video games are a waste of time, and because my laptop is starting to lag, i'm thinking about buying a new one.

The point is, i need some help to know which laptop is good for gaming, but not too expensive...
maraa
I would look for anything with Intel I9 or I7
kai99
im on my laptop too, for a year and a half now oyyyy
macs are the best :^)
just kidding, what about just asking your parents for a desktop so that you can "study" on it
ManuelOsuPlayer

pronet12 wrote:

Yeah, i think the title can explain this situation. So after playing on my laptop for 2 years now(i'm now 36k), i'm starting to think that this is going to give me some hard time improving. I want to buy a computer, but i'm like 15... and my parents thinks that video games are a waste of time, and because my laptop is starting to lag, i'm thinking about buying a new one.

The point is, i need some help to know which laptop is good for gaming, but not too expensive...
They are right.
Topic Starter
pronet12
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it
Paneiru

maraa wrote:

I would look for anything with Intel I9 or I7
Uuuuuuh, this guy got no clue whatsoever... do you think the higher number that follows the "i", the better the pc?
So for some clarification, if you want to go on a low budget, there is no need to get an i7. An 8th generation i5 would be enough. The biggest benefits you will get from same gen i7 over an i5 is generally a slightly higher clock speed and the function of hyper-threading. Hyper-threading mostly benefits actions like video editing and rendering and won't have an impact on gaming, especially on osu! which is a single threaded game (correct me if I'm wrong about this). To begin with, osu! does not require heavy computation from the cpu. Osu! does however require a decent gpu (graphics card) to draw as many frames as possible to lower your input delay (because the game is currently single threaded, the game refreshes inputs for every frame that is drawn, which is why it's highly recommended to play osu! with frame limiter set to unlimited). Most cheap laptops don't really have a gpu and are therefore bad for gaming as they have to run on cpu integrated graphics.
That being said, if you want to get yourself a decent laptop for gaming, the most important specs you should look for are cpu, gpu and storing device.
Cpu: try to aim for an 8th generation i5, but make sure it got the "HQ" suffix and not "U" suffix. As an example: i5-8250U, the letter U at the very end here stands for ultra-low power and are mostly used for notebook laptops. HQ stands for high performance graphics, quad core.
Gpu: anything would be fine really, just make sure your laptop got one at all. some common ones are NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M, GTX 960M or GTX 1050 (ti).
Storage device: if possible, try getting a pc that got an SSD (Solid-state drive) as a storage device. Something even better would be an M.2, but it's quite expensive. If it's just a normal mechanical hard drive, it's completely fine, but make sure you don't get a laptop with an SSHD (not to be confused with SSD or HDD). I myself used to have an SSHD installed on my laptop, and it was honestly terrible.

As a last note, if I missed something important or gave incorrect information, feel free to correct me.
Nattsun
Any PC can run osu!. Since you are on a tight budget, you should get something used that you can upgrade with saved money.
MwaCestTom
Well, if you only play osu!, save your money and buy a cheap laptop . If you wanna play other games, work hard so your parents may accept giving you money
Whirled
Usually if you say it's an investment into the future parents would buy that stuff. To be honest though in the future getting a good PC is going to be pretty important, for college and what not.
AniBoi07
my laptop has an i5 and the Geforce gtx 940 mx and it runs osu fine
Akumace1

AniBoi07 wrote:

my laptop has an i5 and the Geforce gtx 940 mx and it runs osu fine
It’s taking me so much strength to not start flaming this dude.
JBHyperion
Please don't necro 3 year old threads, thanks.
show more