forum

New multiplayer mode.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
dlovan
Hi,

I was recently thinking about Osu in general and how it is becoming really popular lately. However, when I think about Osu tournaments or multiplayer games there seems to be some element missing making it very boring to watch. Furthermore multiplayer games and tournaments just don't seem to be very popular for people to play.

But when you look at other games like shooters or RTS games, they seem to be really exciting to watch and it's really popular! Now why is it that games like RTS games and shooters are so interesting and exciting for people to watch as opposed to Osu?
It is because of the interaction between the players. Everything a player does effects the other and vice versa. Players can be nearly dead and still make a comeback and win the game with the usual effect of awe. Why not implement a multiplayer option Osu to make multiplayer games exciting like this?

There are many ways you could do this and I personally thought of the idea of earning counters during a match. Tetris for example also allowed for players to give each other handicaps. If you were to implement this into Osu For example: Imagine you are playing 1 VS 1 in a multiplayer game, and for each let’s say 30 300's you hit you get 1 counter, now you could click a button on your mouse or keyboard to use the counter and it will give a mod to the enemy player. Imagine 1 counter giving the enemy 5 seconds of hidden, or if you save up 2 counters it would give hardrock or 3 counters giving the enemy double time and 4 counters giving him flashlight for a few seconds. The mods do not necessarily have to be the regular ones, a few other ideas could be blurry screen mods, or cursor lag mods.

This will create a lot of interesting gameplay and WTF and LOL moments, like when you are winning but a sudden flash light makes you break your combo and the other player catches up or when a player gets flashlighted and still manages to hit all notes and wins the match creating that effect of awe. There are of course many other ways to make multiplayer more interesting I am just giving a few ideas.

I think it would be great fun with friends to be able to play a mode like this and it would also be a lot more fun for spectators to watch! And Osu tournaments would have a lot more depth to them, tactics will eventually be used for when to use what mods on specific maps etc.
Low
osu =/= first person shooters
Kyshiro

Jacob wrote:

osu =/= first person shooters
Thank you captain obvious.

However, this seems to be a really nice idea, it's a bit guitar hero-like online gameplay.
Would be epic to have this added to Osu!

Edit: Would also be nice to have a new ranking system just for this, like wins/loses, otherwise it'd ruin your accuracy big time
Vinolyte
This would make multiplayer more challenging and it would me more of a competition which will make things even more interesting.
I say, yes!
Ayu
Well, If I remember good EBA has also a bit the same thing when playing multiplayer.
Since OSU! is a little bit based of the same principe, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea.
HappyStick
Great idea to implement things that make it more interesting to watch as a whole, giving people the option to make it even less individual of a game :)
ychao
This does actually sound pretty interesting indeed. The ability to screw with your fellow competitors (or perhaps even aid your teammates) sounds like a great twist to the conventional mp mode.
those
DT and HR wouldn't work, but HD and FL certainly would.
Topic Starter
dlovan

dlovan wrote:

The mods do not necessarily have to be the regular ones, a few other ideas could be blurry screen mods, or cursor lag mods.
ychao
Or maybe even add crazy flashes to induce epilepsy \o/
Or how about perhaps a timed (I dunno, e.g. 10s) mute phase? Not sure how hard/possible it is to implement this though.
Jenny
i'd just use HD of the regular mods but that stuff like blurry screen sounds nice - something like a... let's say a voidzone around the cursor (meaning you don't see anything), like a counter-FL or a bleach mode & stuff; that'd come unexpected & stuff while not being that much of "LOL WHY IS THERE FLASHLIGHT, AAAAAAAARGH I'M DEAD"; i hope you get what i mean by that, i'm kinda... weird today \:D/

anyways, that's a nice idea but that's a thing very hard to "balance" - these "countermods" should not fuck the game/map/play as a whole, just add a surprising or unexpected element all of a sudden and not just kill you because the map is totally changing at once (yes, FL and HD change the maps feeling totally.)

Some suggestions:

- bleach mode
- (cursor-centered) voidzone
- disappearing combo numbers & followpoints
- pulsing/rotating (approach-)circles
- something with the BG (like glowing, increasing contrasts or stuff - well, stuff like many SBs have)
- suddenly changing "enemies" skin (or elements) (that'd require a selection of... let's say 5 skins per player [the one using the countermods would pick his "skins" for the enemy player but that'd require a DL first - ofc the skin's information wouldn't get displayed during that time])
bomber34

ychao24 wrote:

wow ... that is not fair for people who have epilepsy 0,o!? cruel
@dlovan: do you mean stuff like this
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3525&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ?
Topic Starter
dlovan
Oh i didn't realise there was already a post about this :/
ychao

bomber34 wrote:

ychao24 wrote:

wow ... that is not fair for people who have epilepsy 0,o!? cruel
Tbh I was half-joking when suggesting that :D

Anyway yeah what happened to the suggestions made in that thread? This thread pretty much ties to it, though that thread seems quite dead to me.
Topic Starter
dlovan
We can still keep on voting here though ^_^
eddieee
lose FL mod and go
Michi
I really like this idea. :)
Jenny
just adding: that'd be an unranked (or like a "PvP-rated") aditional multiplayer instead of replacing the existing one, wouldn't it?
Topic Starter
dlovan
A special rank for this mode would be awesome :)
Topic Starter
dlovan
Imagine playing for points vs players and having a special ranking/ladder for this mode! :D
GladiOol
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3525&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I think this thread should be bumped. I never knew a thread like this existed, but it seems to have tons of ideas already.
Also, YESSSSS on the idea because this is awesome /o/
Gabi

GladiOol wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3525&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I think this thread should be bumped. I never knew a thread like this existed, but it seems to have tons of ideas already.
Also, YESSSSS on the idea because this is awesome /o/
THIS!!!!! I was just about to go look for it

OP, thanks for bringing this idea back to life, this would be pretty awesome to implement.
CXu
Ahh yes.
MonoCholor
Good idea OwO
Topic Starter
dlovan
Still KEEP voting!
S o r c e r y
that's a good idea ,I support! i hope osu can develop a multi-player mode that is liked your example!
Mesita
vote yes!
Vish024
Not a bad idea actually, though it has an effect on gameplay that can be compared to Mariokart's effect on racing, it diminishes or reduces the factor of skill. This is both a good and bad thing.
-Athena-
MULTIPLAYER MAKEOVER!!
Imagine the possibilities omg :3
warwolf
awesome idea. would love to see this through.
kriers
this would be really interesting
Sander-Don
Voted yes.
Mitsuneko
Yes! This needs to happen..
nanashiRei
Well what i think is this: In rythm games you compare final scores. If you mess with the map while going throught it you just end up ruining the goal of this game. If you want 1 on 1 matches go play Battlefield or whatever...
Come[Back]Home
I vote for yes
show more