forum

How to get good at mouse + keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IkuKazumi
I've been playing osu! for almost 6 months now, but I'm stuck to the point where I'm not able to pass higher maps anymore or move up the ranks. I'm using an iMac and a Mac mouse and keyboard. Do I need to change my playstyle? Sensitivity? Gear?

I really want to get good at this game so, I'd appreciate any help or advice. :)
Death
This thread is a little bit more suitable in Gameplay & Rankings so I've moved it for you.
maraa
I use mouse/keyboard. I think you should have no problem gaining more skill as long as you keep challenging yourself. I can still feel myself getting better all the time, its very slow progression though. There's many people in the top 50 who use mouse, even in the top 10. So there's always room for growth.

Also I feel like my biggest limiting factor right now is not my cursor control, but my keyboard click speed/rhythm. I feel like my mouse control can outpace my keyboard control at the moment.

My gear:
Mouse: Razer Deathadder @ 6000 DPI
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow blue switches
honque
I feel like these will be some useless tips, however:
Sometimes, my finger drags on my mousepad, so I occasionally use different surfaces.
Sensitivity is key for me, I'm currently adjusting to higher and higher sensitivity to make less mouse movement.
I haven't tried this much yet, but listen to the song first, do the beatmap, and wherever you are struggling, tap out the rhythm without playing the beatmap. Don't know if that helps, but it does a little for me.
Back to the first point, I seriously recommend using different surfaces. If it's your desk, the it may have a buttery feel to it, and maybe that suits you. Maybe you're shaking too much, so use a more restricting surface. I don't know, just try it.
As I said, these may be useless, however they mostly work for me.
Topic Starter
IkuKazumi

Tabello wrote:

I feel like these will be some useless tips, however:
Sometimes, my finger drags on my mousepad, so I occasionally use different surfaces.
Sensitivity is key for me, I'm currently adjusting to higher and higher sensitivity to make less mouse movement.
I haven't tried this much yet, but listen to the song first, do the beatmap, and wherever you are struggling, tap out the rhythm without playing the beatmap. Don't know if that helps, but it does a little for me.
Back to the first point, I seriously recommend using different surfaces. If it's your desk, it may have a buttery feel to it, and maybe that suits you. Maybe you're shaking too much, so use a more restricting surface. I don't know, just try it.
As I said, these may be useless, however, they mostly work for me.

My main problem though is that during a beatmap, I would do so good, but then I would have to physically pick up the mouse to move it back to its original position. I've maxed out sensitivity but I still have to pick up the mouse.

Any tips on that?
maraa

IkuKazumi wrote:

My main problem though is that during a beatmap, I would do so good, but then I would have to physically pick up the mouse to move it back to its original position. I've maxed out sensitivity but I still have to pick up the mouse.

Any tips on that?

-Yes, you shouldn't ever be lifting your mouse during a game of Osu! Do you have mouse acceleration turned on? Turn it off, its terrible. Though if your used to mouse accel, turning it off you might as well restart your Osu! career as of day 1

-Also, you shouldn't ever be messing with mouse sensitivity. Leave it at 1.0 and click use raw input. Only DPI should be adjusted and that comes straight from your mouse. I can elaborate on why but frankly i've done it so many times so i'll just explain if your curious.

-If your mouse doesn't have adjustable DPI, get a gaming mouse.
show more