forum

Add a short 2 or 3 second break after unpausing.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
JO3-M4K
I know that this is a thing that some other rhythm games do but adding a short delay to allow the player to be ready after pausing in an awkward spot. It's happened to me a lot where I have needed to pause and then when I unpause, I usually end up failing. I feel adding a short delay where the music plays 2 or 3 seconds before the hit circles come up when you paused the map. Idk would probably need a bit of tweaking within the timeline of the map. I will try to get an example of this. Might help other players too. Just a thought.
- Zuramaru -
The potential problem with this is that it can be abused by being able to reposition your cursor during the few seconds of delay to avoid potential misses. It's why the current unpause system requires you to have your cursor where it was when you paused and for the unpause to be immediate in order to help prevent any pause buffering abuse.
Topic Starter
JO3-M4K

Krypto wrote:

The potential problem with this is that it can be abused by being able to reposition your cursor during the few seconds of delay to avoid potential misses. It's why the current unpause system requires you to have your cursor where it was when you paused and for the unpause to be immediate in order to help prevent any pause buffering abuse.

Ye I can see that this would probably get a lot of abuse from this without any tweaking to the cooldown delay before the player can pause the map again so yeah fair point. Plus it would probs mess up and look weird when looking at it on the replays too.
Edgar_Figaro
This wouldn’t be a bad system for Taiko, CTB, or Mania though as it would allow players to reposition their hands after hitting the unpause button.

For STD I think it has to remain as it is due to the potential abuse for aim.
Topic Starter
JO3-M4K
Standard will have that problem and I agree that it would be necessary to add this in for the other modes as I think players will need it when they need to recover stamina in the middle of really high intensity sections of maps. Not everyone will agree to this I think but it could be changed and tweaked if it was to be added to the game but it really depends if it would be of any use to players.
Full Tablet
The fact that players can pause in osu!mania to recover stamina is already controversial. Giving a further advantage to people who pause in the middle of plays wouldn't be a good idea.
Topic Starter
JO3-M4K

Full Tablet wrote:

The fact that players can pause in osu!mania to recover stamina is already controversial. Giving a further advantage to people who pause in the middle of plays wouldn't be a good idea.

Thing is that most players with really good stamina probs won't even need to exploit this but I can see this being exploited with those that don't have good stamina but can still do well on the map. Problem is most players with bad stamina may begin to rely on this which could be a problem for them further down the line in their progression.
Tris-
How about just tweaking the current system? Leave the part where you are required to click the orange circle but add a countdown after you click it, if you move your mouse off the circle before the countdown ends then the countdown stops and is reset. This could be an togglable option.
abraker

MuppetBoi wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

Thing is that most players with really good stamina probs won't even need to exploit this but I can see this being exploited with those that don't have good stamina but can still do well on the map. Problem is most players with bad stamina may begin to rely on this which could be a problem for them further down the line in their progression.
I consider stamina as part of the gameplay and part of the challenge a map gives. I believe for every varying aspect of difficulty, there must be a mod which allows the player to set and adjust said difficulty aspect. Pausing allows the player to rest and regain stamina, which lowers the map's difficulty from stamina. Therefore, because stamina is one of the aspects of difficulty that can vary, and pausing allows to decrease the difficulty of a map due to recovery of stamina, the ability to pause should be a mod.
Topic Starter
JO3-M4K

Tris- wrote:

How about just tweaking the current system? Leave the part where you are required to click the orange circle but add a countdown after you click it, if you move your mouse off the circle before the countdown ends then the countdown stops and is reset. This could be an togglable option.

This could be a possible way around being stuck in an awkward spot and still have the chance to hit the circle after the 3 second countdown finishes. This would need testing of course to make sure that this works properly if it is to be added to make sure that the exploit can't occur. Players will still always be quick enough after seeing the hit circle though before and then pausing on awkward timing.

Maybe the 3 second countdown after the orange circle is clicked could work as long as the map resumes straight from where you paused it.

I agree with moving the cursor from the orange circle should stop the countdown and reset it once the orange circle is clicked again it probably will fix the exploit of preaiming onto circles before the countdown is finished.
charmfox
pause in breaks. ----> √ or X
if its √ then when everyone clicks ready again, starts map?
show more