forum

[Archived] Disappearing Mapsets & Faulty Verification Methods

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iaport
H E L L O T H E R E ! Okay, so here's the problem

Around 200+ maps disappeared from my beatmap library for what seems like no reason. To make matters worse, this is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to me since December! I really could use assistance on this soon!

So, basically what happened was: my dad and I were attempting to install a portable microscope on the computer. When prompted to reset, I allowed it to reset. However Upon logging in, and realizing the computer wasn't compatible, I decided to relax and play Osu, as per usual. But, for some reason, the reset seemingly corrupted my shortcut to that osu. I say "that osu", because I have a backup on a flash drive; however, it was last updated about 4 months ago (it claimed I had not played osu in 4 months). I can still redownload, but I have some maps I made that weren't submitted (about 10-15), and I don't know any way to get them back! It says I'm on the Stable version of osu, but that would mean those maps would be there! I can still play on line, thankfully. If you think you know what the issue is, please post soon!

Thanks,
iaport
Death
Do you remember what the file path was for your original install? Even if the shortcut somehow got messed up, that doesn't necessarily mean the entire game is gone. If you didn't change the file path originally, it will probably be located in one of these directories (depending on when you installed the game and your operating system):
  1. C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!
  2. C:\Program Files(x86)\osu!
  3. C:\Program Files\osu!

It is possible to have more than one osu! installation on a computer. Scores, songs, etc are all stored locally and contained within their respective osu! folder. The exe you run will determine what appears in-game. As you've said, your flash drive osu! backup hasn't been updated in 4 months, so it makes sense that you are missing the maps you've created/downloaded in that time on a separate installation if you ran the executable from there. Version number does not link them, so simply being on Stable doesn't necessarily mean your beatmaps will be there.

If you find your old installation, you can run the executable in its folder/create a new shortcut, and upon doing so you should see your "missing" maps appear in-game once again. Alternatively, you can open the "Songs" folder and copy the missing maps them from the installation on your computer, to the backup on your flashdrive, and continue running the game from your flashdrive.
Topic Starter
iaport

Death wrote:

Do you remember what the file path was for your original install? Even if the shortcut somehow got messed up, that doesn't necessarily mean the entire game is gone. If you didn't change the file path originally, it will probably be located in one of these directories (depending on when you installed the game and your operating system):
  1. C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!
  2. C:\Program Files(x86)\osu!
  3. C:\Program Files\osu!

It is possible to have more than one osu! installation on a computer. Scores, songs, etc are all stored locally and contained within their respective osu! folder. The exe you run will determine what appears in-game. As you've said, your flash drive osu! backup hasn't been updated in 4 months, so it makes sense that you are missing the maps you've created/downloaded in that time on a separate installation if you ran the executable from there. Version number does not link them, so simply being on Stable doesn't necessarily mean your beatmaps will be there.

If you find your old installation, you can run the executable in its folder/create a new shortcut, and upon doing so you should see your "missing" maps appear in-game once again. Alternatively, you can open the "Songs" folder and copy the missing maps them from the installation on your computer, to the backup on your flashdrive, and continue running the game from your flashdrive.

The maps DO tend to return after a few weeks, but I don't know why my osu backup isn't updating. The strangest part is that these missing mapsets are actually in the songs folder currently in use, yet they're not on the map selection screen. Any ideas why?

Also, my dad and I installed a USB 3.0 reader on our computer, but now osu is treating like it doesn't recognize the device I am currently using, even though I have done online osu on this PC for 6 months. It says that won't be an issue if I verify it's me, but the osu team sends an email saying that it can't prove it's me, asking me to try again. I am not sure if osu did backup emails in July 2013, but if it did require one, that account was deleted by Yahoo, and my current one wasn't created until August 2013. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your time,
iaport
Death
You can change your email from either of these pages:
https://osu.ppy.sh/home/account/edit
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=reg_details

If it asks for verification when you try to change, send an email to accounts@ppy.sh explaining your issue.

I'm not really sure why you think your backup will automatically update to be the same as the local version of osu! on your computer? osu! does not have this function, are you using something else to automatically backup?

If your songs are inside your osu! folder but they are not appearing in-game, try hitting F5. Make sure you are not grouping by anything at the top right of the song selection screen, and make sure you haven't messed around with this setting:

You can also try moving the file "osu!.db" outside of your osu! folder while you have the game closed. This will force your maps to reprocess after you open the game again. Some side effects of this is that all of your maps will be marked as unplayed, and you will lose local settings you have on any maps, like offset. As long as you don't frequently group your maps by recently played you aren't losing too much.
Topic Starter
iaport
It asks for verification upon the changing attempt, but the verification always fails.

I made sure not to group anything, and I did not mess with that setting; I never messed with that setting even once.

That last piece of advice, however, I did not try yet and will try it soon.

Still offline,
iaport
Death
Send an email to accounts@ppy.sh for your verification issue.

It's entirely possible you accidentally hit the slider for displaying beatmaps within a certain star range while scrolling through the options menu. If the last possible solution I provided does not work, double check even if you don't specifically remember changing it.