forum

[Archived] Help about PP

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
J Vtol

Hello friends, welcome to my second forum post (A big milestone!)

After playing Osu! for about 2 months, one thing I've always found appealing is grinding for PP. The satisfaction of improving and being able to dominate beatmaps is what makes Osu! fun for me :D. However, I noticed that I've peaked in gaining about half a month ago and now my PP gain is slow as hell :(. To put it into perspective, I would gain 1-2 PP points every 2-3 days. And if I'm lucky, I would get around 10-15 from one beatmap every few days. Progress like this gets frustrating ya know for someone who gains PP for fun. As of this post, I have around 1,100 PP and I can complete 4 star maps and low 5 star maps (Usually 85-93% accuracy with As/Bs). Now since you guys know my situation, here are some questions. My first question is about PP gain itself; What determines the amount of PP gained from a beatmap? Is it accuracy? Amount of mods? Letter grade? My second question is basically asking for advice, what are some tips to gain some PP again for someone in my situation? Would I try to FC 4 star maps? Try to get better scores on beatmaps that I already completed? Or start trying to get good scores on 5 star maps (not necessarily FC'ing them). What would you guys do if you were in the same cirumstances as me? I've looked around already and I've seen an ungodly amount of people say that you should just play more if you want to get better. I already know that though ;). People are here to learn new things, and I'm one of those people (sadly). Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks and hope you guys had a wonderful time here
Death
Here is a wiki article on performance points: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Performance_Points
There is a section on how it is calculated right at the top. The actual algorithm used is also available on GitHub: https://github.com/ppy/osu-performance

Generally, misses and low accuracy have a substantial impact on the amount of pp you will gain for a song. Therefore, going for Full Combos and scores with high accuracy on maps right within your skill level will net you more performance points than playing a map slightly above your skill level and getting a couple misses. It's still good to play both types of maps though.