forum

OSU STD: Mechanical keyboard or not ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IKEkomori
Hello,
I'm trying to get my skills back after some times away from this game and I wanted to know if "to improve" I must absolutely get myself a mechanical keyboard of if a membrane keyboard can do the work ?
Note that the last time I used a membrane keyboard I broke all the keys because of intense smashing, so is a mechanical keyboard life span higher for its price ?
It would be nice of you if you can state me the pro and cons of both types.

Sorry if this question have been posted countless times already.
And Thank you to anyone replying to this post ! (ノ^∇^)
dung eater
no you don't need a mech keyboard.

you will probably break the mech keys, too.

buy a <75 dorrar/euro one, or pay more if you want bling
kai99
i use laptop
kai99
also keycap span matters on the material, so its not a difference in keyboards, and if you smash it hard anything will break tbh. good thing about mech would be you could buy new keycaps if you broke them
bjlly
if you want me to be 100%, I've played with Blues, Reds, Browns, Romer-Gs, Speeds, Membrane, Mecha-Membrane, and Blacks (I like keyboards), but I'd say if you have the money and you're confident that you want Light Switches (Silent // Linear) Speeds*Silver*, and Reds are the way to go, how ever if people don't care if you're loud, Blues are REALLLLLY satisfying to play on (ULTRA LOUD THOUGH) and a little bit heavier then browns and reds. I'd suggest just trying to find out the style you've like to play at. Because I couldn't play properly with Stock Keycaps on my Corsair board, but the ducky Keycaps were delish, and well as my numpad that has speeds, Keycaps play a good roll on how I preform, that may very for you quite a bit, but I just thought I'd put my two sense in, but I'd recommend getting a mechanical keyboard if you're not tight on money, but if you are, there are plenty of people who are really good with Membrane keyboards.

I'll link the only stuff I really can get behind.
Everything will be in www.amazon.com as I am in the United States

Mechanical Boards

Ducky Shine 6 RGB (Full Sized) Price: $159.00

Cooler Master MasterKeys S Non LED (TKL) Price: $79.99

Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M RGB (TenKey) List Price: $149.99 (Goes on Sale frequently)

Membrane // Mecha-Membrane Boards

Razer Ornata Expert Green LED (Full Sized) Mecha-Membrane List Price: $79.99
Razer Ornata Chroma RGB (Full Sized) Mecha-Membrane List Price: $99.99 (Legit Same Board, just if you really need the RGB, there ya go.)

Cooler Master MS120 (Full Sized) Mecha-Membrane List Price: $89.99

CORSAIR K55 RGB (Full Sized) Membrane Price: $47.99

I think that's the best I can do for now, sorry if I wasn't of much help /:
Topic Starter
IKEkomori
Thank you for your replies !
I forgot to say I'm on laptop too but I just bought it and I don't want it to die so soon, sooo (⌒▽⌒")

@bjlly I don't blame you, some are really good looking + the typing sound ❤ like the Ducky shine you linked but the price tho it broke my kokoro.. :'(

At fist I was aiming for the "Cooler Master MasterKeys S" but finally I’m going for a mech keypad with cherry mx red, it will be easier for me to carry around + i’ll be able to use it in other games to.

Have a nice day/night guys !
The Gambler
You don't have to splurge on a full keyboard if you can help it. A little bit of work, and you can get one of these beauties just for osu! alone

4x4
http://www.40percent.club/2018/01/4x4.html

2-Key
http://www.40percent.club/search?q=2+key

4-key
http://www.40percent.club/2017/07/4-pack.html

Literally found this guy while browsing through some interesting keyboard designs. You do need soldering and a bit of computer savvy to program this (You will be using stuff like dfu-util and avrdude), but these are truly osu-only keypads by any stretch of the imagination.

The gerber files (the design files) are on his github page. You can send them to guys like JLCPCB to get them made for quite cheap actually.
kai99
^ saw this dude's (i think) two key keyboard at a keyboard meetup here, solid, can confirm
MrGarebear2000
I use a water-resistant Corsair K68. Perfect for when you get sweaty and pretty cost effective at about $80 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit-Resistant/dp/B0716Q4932