forum

Decide for me on what I should buy

posted
Total Posts
show more
Valentiino
Don't buy either, buy decent headphones and seperate microphone, combinations suck.
Vish024
Buy me a car.

or

Pokebis wrote:

Save and invest.
Be somewhat intelligent and do what he said^
Zelmarked
Your are only 17. Save up your money. If you must, and you don't already have a good rig, save up for a new gaming rig. $800-$2000 (USD), will bank you good parts to last years.

But if you are determined, the headset for it's general use. Unless you REALLY want to do better at Osu!. Buying a peripheral for one use/game is something I can't advise. The headset. I have a G35. It's awesome. 7.1. And it makes 2 channel sound like surround.

But saving up for a new rig/ saving up period. A new rig is a good longterm investment.
Haseo_old
Definitely go for the headphones. Tablets are awesome, but meh.
dNextGen
+1 headphones and +6 for savin up the money
silmarilen
between headphones and tablet go for headphones, but only if your old ones broke. no reason to buy new things if the old still work.
flow
Go for the headphones, overall a better sound experience can really make a huge difference with anything you do.

Grab headphones + an attachable microphone.
Reasons why to avoid "gaming" headsets and above all else, USB:
- flimsy, break easily
- adjusted treble/bass which can be achieved with an equalizer
- generally uncomfortable to satisfy aesthetics
- so many more but not bothering

I could also go on how you shouldn't pickup surround sound/5.1/7.1 headsets but I'll just say it's terrible and not worth getting.

As for what you should choose(though i haven't been keeping up with the latest headphones) would be something along the lines of:
Audio Technica AD-700/900's(Open) or A-700/900's(Closed)
AKG500/700(Not sure the exact models, correct me if I'm wrong)
Sennheiser HDX00 series(again, not sure but a simple google search will tell you)

And grab a desktop microphone or a Zalman clip-on.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

flow wrote:

Go for the headphones, overall a better sound experience can really make a huge difference with anything you do.

Grab headphones + an attachable microphone.
- flimsy, break easily
- so many more but not bothering

I could also go on how you shouldn't pickup surround sound/5.1/7.1 headsets but I'll just say it's terrible and not worth getting.

As for what you should choose(though i haven't been keeping up with the latest headphones) would be something along the lines of:
Audio Technica AD-700/900's(Open) or A-700/900's(Closed)
AKG500/700(Not sure the exact models, correct me if I'm wrong)
Sennheiser HDX00 series(again, not sure but a simple google search will tell you)

And grab a desktop microphone or a Zalman clip-on.
Well at where I live, finding a good and quality headphone + mic is really hard. Since a lot of the stuff sold here are cheap knockoffs :<
Faust
Give a portion of it to charity.

Treat your friends and yourself to a nice dinner.

Save the rest for another time.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

Faust wrote:

You made my day in a good way. I'll do that in my 2nd pay or something like that.
flow

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

Well at where I live, finding a good and quality headphone + mic is really hard. Since a lot of the stuff sold here are cheap knockoffs :<
To an extent it depends on how much you're willing to spend, something <$80 could warrant just a generic "gaming" brand and still have the same quality as the $100+ "gaming" ones, just without the useless features/lights/voice changers and aesthetics.
Zelmarked

flow wrote:

- flimsy, break easily
That I agree with to an extent. I'm sending back a G35 just recently because the right earpiece broke off. Luckily they replaced mine b4 I had to send the broken one back. That's Logitech's policy anyway.

flow wrote:

That's not a reason to avoid gaming headsets, but I do understand your trying to say the same effect can be accomplished with headphones.

flow wrote:

I find it snug. I wear it even when not listening to anything. Blocks out sound from the outside.

flow wrote:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/devices/5095

logitech site wrote:

No, thank you.
There may be times when you don’t want surround sound. You can turn surround sound off completely by flipping the switch on the left ear cup.
Cost should have been one of your reason to avoid, perhaps.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

flow wrote:

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

To an extent it depends on how much you're willing to spend, something <$80 could warrant just a generic "gaming" brand and still have the same quality as the $100+ "gaming" ones, just without the useless features/lights/voice changers and aesthetics.
Well my target for headphones/headsets are about <$80 anyways.
flow

Zelmarked wrote:

Forgot to make that the key-point.
Just to reiterate then:
Studio headphones have better value in terms of the ratio in pricing to quality.
You can get a $150 headset, i.e. the G35's or some AD700's $140 and the difference between the two is substantial.
Note: Prices for Aus, so just generalising over how it's perceived in our stores.

Edit: In relation to my point about the treble/bass/overall sound, you can grab something much cheaper and achieve the same result as say, a G35.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

flow wrote:

Zelmarked wrote:

Forgot to make that the key-point.
Just to reiterate then:
Studio headphones have better value in terms of the ratio in pricing to quality.
You can get a $150 headset, i.e. the G35's or some AD700's $140 and the difference between the two is substantial.
Note: Prices for Aus, so just generalising over how it's perceived in our stores.

Edit: In relation to my point about the treble/bass/overall sound, you can grab something much cheaper and achieve the same result as say, a G35.
Also I know how much 60$ (US) would cost here since I always look at the currency converter. So I just need something good.
ychao

flow wrote:

Just to reiterate then:

QFT right there. Gaming headsets are just cheap gimmicks to attract naïve consumers. For a better audiophile experience, full-fledged 'phones w/o all those extraneous functions is the way to go.

If you're willing to spend for a tablet, why not spend as much for at least a decent pair of cans? Depending on how much you invest, you get what you pay for, if not more. If you're determined on getting a half-decent headset and are not fussed about SQ then just get what you have in mind and be done with it - save that extra income, all the better.

Also, where in Malaysia do you live in? This is a little presumptuous but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a shopping trip to KL every once in a while now would it? Unless of course you are in Sabah/S'wak lol, but even then!
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

ychao24 wrote:

flow wrote:

Just to reiterate then:

QFT right there. Gaming headsets are just cheap gimmicks to attract naïve consumers. For a better audiophile experience, full-fledged 'phones w/o all those extraneous functions is the way to go.

If you're willing to spend for a tablet, why not spend as much for at least a decent pair of cans? Depending on how much you invest, you get what you pay for, if not more. If you're determined on getting a half-decent headset and are not fussed about SQ then just get what you have in mind and be done with it - save that extra income, all the better.

Also, where in Malaysia do you live in? This is a little presumptuous but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a shopping trip to KL every once in a while now would it? Unless of course you are in Sabah/S'wak lol, but even then!
Well I live in West malaysia so going for shopping in KL is a no biggie.

Also I've been looking at Zalman's clip on mic. If it's really good I'll put it in my buy list. By then I just need a good headphone.
Elysion
'sup. Superlux HD-662 + Logitech mic + Bamboo Pen CTL-470K <---- You don't need to spend more than that.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

Elysion wrote:

'sup. Superlux HD-662 + Logitech mic + Bamboo Pen CTL-470K <---- You don't need to spend more than that.
Not willing to buy a tablet since I'll just use it for osu! anyway.
IppE
Superlux HD 668 B or HD 662 F (depending on whether you want a open or closed headset) and a cheap $5 mic.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

IppE wrote:

Superlux HD 668 B or HD 662 F (depending on whether you want a open or closed headset) and a cheap $5 mic.
What's the difference between closed and open headphones?

Also planning on buying Zalman's clip on mic
Jarby

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

IppE wrote:

What's the difference between closed and open headphones?

Also planning on buying Zalman's clip on mic
Simply put; open headphones sound better, but closed headphones offer isolation.

By isolation I mean in terms of both sound leaking out from the headphones, and sound leaking in.
Unless you need isolation you should consider open models. You can get closed headphones that sound as good as open models, but generally the closed model will cost more.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

Jarby wrote:

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

By isolation I mean in terms of both sound leaking out from the headphones, and sound leaking in.
Unless you need isolation you should consider open models. You can get closed headphones that sound as good as open models, but generally the closed model will cost more.
Well I don't need isolation that much but I'll keep that in mind.
Mara

Faust wrote:

QFT.

Well, not a truth - but you should do that. Just sayin'.
xsrsbsns
Both of these items aren't too expensive, especially since you said the headset is cheaper. (Tablet is only 300MYR)
Assuming you still work after this, I don't see why is there a problem getting them both.

I do not care about my country ranking anymore. I have more important things than osu
ok
IppE
Yeah don't buy a tablet, buying tablet solely for osu! is mindboggingly idiotic. (hi lewa)
-Athena-

IppE wrote:

Yeah don't buy a tablet, buying tablet solely for osu! is mindboggingly idiotic. (hi lewa)
Unfortunately, I could see myself doing that some day.... osu! Is like life support orz
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

xsrsbsns wrote:

Both of these items aren't too expensive, especially since you said the headset is cheaper. (Tablet is only 300MYR)
Assuming you still work after this, I don't see why is there a problem getting them both.

I do not care about my country ranking anymore. I have more important things than osu
ok
My pay isn't that much. And I'm saving the rest of my money for something else (To be precise, for cosplay costume and a short trip to SG)
xsrsbsns
Cool. I'm sure you'll do fine since you said you're only using a portion of the pay, which is a wise choice.

Just get the headset first, and then take the tablet only when you really feel like spending it. Like someone mentioned, there's no guarantee that you'll like the tablet (or vice versa).
ychao
Since you're not stressing on isolation I highly recommend getting at least a decent pair of open cans. The sound-stage you get in those is amazing >> all those 'surround sound'/5.1/7.1 shit advertised in 'gaming' cans.
Closed 'phones, due to their nature, tend to have more a prominent/boomier bass (with subjective quality). Also, my ears tend to get rather hot and sweaty after their prolonged usage. I'd imagine it'd be worse under the typical Malaysian climate.

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

My pay isn't that much. And I'm saving the rest of my money for something else (To be precise, for cosplay costume and a short trip to SG)
Off-topic but that sounds cool. May I ask what character this might be?
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

ychao24 wrote:

Since you're not stressing on isolation I highly recommend getting at least a decent pair of open cans. The sound-stage you get in those is amazing >> all those 'surround sound'/5.1/7.1 shit advertised in 'gaming' cans.
Closed 'phones, due to their nature, tend to have more a prominent/boomier bass (with subjective quality). Also, my ears tend to get rather hot and sweaty after their prolonged usage. I'd imagine it'd be worse under the typical Malaysian climate.

Off-topic but that sounds cool. May I ask what character this might be?
Rather undecided on what character. My choice are either Jericho Swain (From LoL) or Rinnosuke (From touhou)
jjrocks
I actually enjoy my G35 headset throughly. It's not for the sound quality but the added features (I never knew how useful it was to have three buttons on the side of the controller until I used these things). So far the only wear that they show is just a dash of the foam seems to be cut. Otherwise it's like it was brand new. While they are not the best than a lot of the headsets out there I would buy these again just for the added features it has and highly highly recommend them for use. I mean these things are so comfortable that you can sleep on them (which I have done many many many times).
xRayne
go for the headset.. :3
YodaSnipe

IppE wrote:

hi Yoda.
Jarby
Buying a tablet for the sake of competitive play in osu! makes me want to strangle someone. Simply for the sake of fun, on the other hand, is a different story.
YodaSnipe

Jarby wrote:

Buying a tablet for the sake of competitive play in osu! makes me want to strangle someone. Simply for the sake of fun, on the other hand, is a different story.
prepares for strangling.
xsrsbsns
Competitive and fun aren't mutually exclusive. It's more fun if you can play better.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry
Well anyways. I got my pay. And I am correct to be choosing to buy a headphone + separate mic. I will be doing more research about the headphones and try to figure out what kind of separate mic I should buy :<
ychao
This may help with your headphone selection. As for a mic probably any half-decent one should do, if all you do is just VoIP.

I can offer some of my personal opinions if you'd just pm me but that should keep you going for a while.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry
Hello people. I managed to buy a 5$ mic and it worked just as well. And today I have received my Superlux HD668B. Satisfaction level increased. And I'm glad I didn't buy "gaming" headphones.

Thanks everyone.