forum

Decide for me on what I should buy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry
I've been working for almost a month now and my paycheck's coming soon. But right now I am scratching my head so hard because I cannot decide on what to buy.

So far I have only two options right now. Between a tablet and a headset. There are of course pro's and cons if I buy either one of this

Tablet - I will solely use it for Osu! only. not for art or what not. Costs a plently
Headset - I use it for both music and comms like mumble or vent and stuff. And of course doesn't cost as much as a tablet.

So help me Osu! people. Decide for me ;w;

EDIT : I see that people are confused that I might spend tons of money on one stuff. But I'm only going to use a fraction of my pay (More like 10~15% of it) while the rest are for savings.
those
I see "Half-retired player" in your sig. Go for the headset.

Also, it's osu!, not Osu!.
ychao
It depends I guess:

1. Tablet: Since you're not looking to use it for anything else other than osu!, how often do you plan on playing the game? Your sig appears to be against this option.
    Also do keep in mind that you may not like the experience at all and will possibly have to revert back to using the mouse like some here did.

2. Headset: Cheaper and will probably be more frequently used - this looks like a no-brainer.
Niko
If you just want to get a bit better at osu!, buy a bamboo. Otherwise, go for the headset. If I was you I'd buy a headset :V.

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

Headset[...]And of course doesn't cost as much as a tablet.
A good one costs about the same =\.
Pokebis
Why do people spend their money as soon as they get it?
Save and invest.
Lucy-Kaede
I have a headset an no tablet :o
Go for the heeeadset!
Valentiino
Don't buy either, buy decent headphones and seperate microphone, combinations suck.
Vish024
Buy me a car.

or

Pokebis wrote:

Save and invest.
Be somewhat intelligent and do what he said^
Zelmarked
Your are only 17. Save up your money. If you must, and you don't already have a good rig, save up for a new gaming rig. $800-$2000 (USD), will bank you good parts to last years.

But if you are determined, the headset for it's general use. Unless you REALLY want to do better at Osu!. Buying a peripheral for one use/game is something I can't advise. The headset. I have a G35. It's awesome. 7.1. And it makes 2 channel sound like surround.

But saving up for a new rig/ saving up period. A new rig is a good longterm investment.
Haseo_old
Definitely go for the headphones. Tablets are awesome, but meh.
dNextGen
+1 headphones and +6 for savin up the money
silmarilen
between headphones and tablet go for headphones, but only if your old ones broke. no reason to buy new things if the old still work.
flow
Go for the headphones, overall a better sound experience can really make a huge difference with anything you do.

Grab headphones + an attachable microphone.
Reasons why to avoid "gaming" headsets and above all else, USB:
- flimsy, break easily
- adjusted treble/bass which can be achieved with an equalizer
- generally uncomfortable to satisfy aesthetics
- so many more but not bothering

I could also go on how you shouldn't pickup surround sound/5.1/7.1 headsets but I'll just say it's terrible and not worth getting.

As for what you should choose(though i haven't been keeping up with the latest headphones) would be something along the lines of:
Audio Technica AD-700/900's(Open) or A-700/900's(Closed)
AKG500/700(Not sure the exact models, correct me if I'm wrong)
Sennheiser HDX00 series(again, not sure but a simple google search will tell you)

And grab a desktop microphone or a Zalman clip-on.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

flow wrote:

Go for the headphones, overall a better sound experience can really make a huge difference with anything you do.

Grab headphones + an attachable microphone.
- flimsy, break easily
- so many more but not bothering

I could also go on how you shouldn't pickup surround sound/5.1/7.1 headsets but I'll just say it's terrible and not worth getting.

As for what you should choose(though i haven't been keeping up with the latest headphones) would be something along the lines of:
Audio Technica AD-700/900's(Open) or A-700/900's(Closed)
AKG500/700(Not sure the exact models, correct me if I'm wrong)
Sennheiser HDX00 series(again, not sure but a simple google search will tell you)

And grab a desktop microphone or a Zalman clip-on.
Well at where I live, finding a good and quality headphone + mic is really hard. Since a lot of the stuff sold here are cheap knockoffs :<
Faust
Give a portion of it to charity.

Treat your friends and yourself to a nice dinner.

Save the rest for another time.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

Faust wrote:

Give a portion of it to charity.

Treat your friends and yourself to a nice dinner.

Save the rest for another time.
You made my day in a good way. I'll do that in my 2nd pay or something like that.
flow

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

Well at where I live, finding a good and quality headphone + mic is really hard. Since a lot of the stuff sold here are cheap knockoffs :<
To an extent it depends on how much you're willing to spend, something <$80 could warrant just a generic "gaming" brand and still have the same quality as the $100+ "gaming" ones, just without the useless features/lights/voice changers and aesthetics.
Zelmarked

flow wrote:

- flimsy, break easily
That I agree with to an extent. I'm sending back a G35 just recently because the right earpiece broke off. Luckily they replaced mine b4 I had to send the broken one back. That's Logitech's policy anyway.

flow wrote:

That's not a reason to avoid gaming headsets, but I do understand your trying to say the same effect can be accomplished with headphones.

flow wrote:

I find it snug. I wear it even when not listening to anything. Blocks out sound from the outside.

flow wrote:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/devices/5095

logitech site wrote:

No, thank you.
There may be times when you don’t want surround sound. You can turn surround sound off completely by flipping the switch on the left ear cup.
Cost should have been one of your reason to avoid, perhaps.
Topic Starter
UtsukimiJerry

flow wrote:

Crimson_SoulZ wrote:

To an extent it depends on how much you're willing to spend, something <$80 could warrant just a generic "gaming" brand and still have the same quality as the $100+ "gaming" ones, just without the useless features/lights/voice changers and aesthetics.
Well my target for headphones/headsets are about <$80 anyways.
flow

Zelmarked wrote:

Cost should have been one of your reason to avoid, perhaps.
Forgot to make that the key-point.
Just to reiterate then:
Studio headphones have better value in terms of the ratio in pricing to quality.
You can get a $150 headset, i.e. the G35's or some AD700's $140 and the difference between the two is substantial.
Note: Prices for Aus, so just generalising over how it's perceived in our stores.

Edit: In relation to my point about the treble/bass/overall sound, you can grab something much cheaper and achieve the same result as say, a G35.
show more