forum

Tapping style problems

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Artros
So since I started playing this game, I've been steadily improving, and am now up to 4.5-5.5* maps. But a huge problem I've been recently having is that tapping has become really hard for me. For example, since I have a MX Red keyboard, I miss a note during slower jumps due to lack of tactile feedback from bottoming out the keys. There's other problems, like freezing up on triplets, and to combat those, I've been trying out different tapping styles. My normal tapping style is index and middle finger, with index for single tapping and alternating sliders between both fingers. Fingers are curled, and wrist is on desk surface.

1. So first there's Cookiezi's style, which really helps with singletaps and adds a lot of stability to jumps under 180 bpm, but it really screws up fast triplets and streams. I played with this style for a while, thinking that I could switch, but it's really hard to get used to (and I have a double jointed thumb so I couldn't even do it properly in the first place fml)
  2. Additionally, I tried playing with fingers flat instead of curled, which makes it much easier to bottom out the keys, but also removes a lot of definition from jumps. This style was more playable than Cookiezi's one, but it takes a while to get used to to play precisely.
  3. Also, I tried to switch from middle finger to ring finger, and this style was surprisingly responsive, considering that I never used the ring finger before. It still takes a while to get used to, and my original style was much better for higher diffs.
  4. As an experiment, I also tried switching my singletapping finger to my middle finger, and it was pretty stable and able to do jumps a bit better, but there's less control over it since I haven't really done too many jumps with it.
  5. Lastly, I tried alternating. Alternating was really good for fast singletapping maps, and 170 bpm jump maps, but doing triplets with it was almost impossible without actually alternating from the first time you play.

Hopefully people can get some useful information out of this or something (if you want to try out another style or something idk), and if anyone has another tapping style that I could try out that would help me with my shitmisses, please tell me for I would greatly like to know. Also, I know I have, like, half the hours that other people my rank have, so if you tell me to play more, you're probably right.
Wishes
Everyone seems to think linear switches work the best for osu but it was never the case for me, as you mentioned the lack of tactile feedback at the actuation point is a problem. I have a feeling that MX browns would be better than MX reds, however I've never used either (my keypad was Gateron clears). Now I literally use my actual mouse buttons to click while I use tablet on the other hand and although this sounds like a ridiculous setup I've found that the buttons are a lot more clicky and activate so much faster that I've improved somewhat since the switch.

Besides changing switches or whatever though, there's things you can try:
1.) Try both floating hand and having the wrist planted. Not sure what you play like now, but there's three ways you can support your tapping arm, one: have the wrist planted and using wrist/finger tapping; two: have the elbow planted (say on an arm rest) and using the arm itself plus wrist/fingers; three: some sort of hybrid where you have part of your arm on the desk. Each of these have their benefits and drawbacks and I think you should try them to see for yourself.
2.) Tap keys lighter. Instead of bottoming out, learn where the activation points of the keys are and sort of bounce (jiggle?) them up and down around that point. I've found that this works well for streaming especially, and done right will save stamina as well as increase speed. Hard to explain. Also it helps with single tapping speed since you single tap.
3.) Practice single tapping with both fingers. Switch it up. I know you mentioned you've done this, but I think it can really improve your finger control overall if you keep doing it and even switch it up multiple times during a song.
4.) Try starting patterns on the other finger. You mentioned freezing up on triples, so I think this one could work for you too. Watch a replay of yours and see which finger you are starting the pattern on, and the next time you do the map/pattern, force yourself to use the other finger. It could be you're messing up because you have a preferred finger you always start on, and when it's not ready yet, you falter and mess up the pattern.

Additionally:
You shouldn't switch to alternating if you don't feel comfortable with it, it's not even the objectively better style.
Don't play with fingers flat, curled offers more control and more pressing strength/stamina.
Don't play with ring finger, I've played with it before (in fact I played with it more than any other fingers), but it just doesn't have as much stamina as middle finger nor control. Streaming speed may benefit slightly though, I'm not entirely sure why but that's my experience.
Nattsun
I used both, MX browns and reds (currently using browns) and browns feel better to me, but there is no difference in my performance.
Celine
????