forum

Having problems with spinners as a lefty

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blikkbokser
Hello, everyone! As the title say, I'm having problems to complete spinners. I am left handed, but have always used a mouse with my right. There are no problems with the circles, or hitting them (at least not on the level I'm at currently). But I just don't have the fine movements needed for spinners in my right. So when I try to play a beatmap on a faster pace, it causes a lot of problems, and I'll fail the spin or everything will fall apart after. I would buy a tablet and use my left, but I can't afford one.

Does anybody know any tips that would help?

Thanks!
OsuToothbrush
pick a direction, and stick to spinning in that direction. Generally if using right hand you should spin counterclockwise and left would be clockwise.

getting faster or smoother with spinning just comes with practice, the more easily you can control your cursor the more easily you'll be able to spin.
Wishes
I had the same problem as you when I played with mouse. I'm the opposite as you, mouse left-hand but I'm right-handed. As said above the direction you spin can make a difference, but other than that you just gotta practice.
I believe the reason that it's ridiculously hard to spin fast with your off-hand has more to do with the lack of muscle memory rather than any strength issues. Because your main hand has insane amounts of muscle memory doing circular movements for example writing stuff like the letter 'o' and the number '0' it is easy to adjust those movements to spinners in osu.
Because your off-hand is lacking in the muscle memory you should practice on spinner maps to get faster. I did this thing like a year ago where I would practice on the spinner map once every day for about 3 weeks, and at the end of which my speed increased by about 50 RPM. So it works, you just gotta put in the time, not insanely much time just 5 minutes everyday to do it, but you gotta do it every day, no random breaks.
Here's the map I used btw: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/74081
Oh and one last thing I found useful, when you are spinning try holding down both mouse buttons (even if you have mouse buttons disabled), this helps you keep your grip tight on the mouse and I always do it when I play mouse to spin just a bit faster.
Topic Starter
Blikkbokser
Thanks for the replies! Very good points from both of you. I've been a bit frustrated with them, and tried several different ways. I do spin the oposite way of what you OsuToothbrush wrote, but since it's the natural way for me to do it, I guess it would do more harm than good to try to revert it.

And thank you for that spinner map, Wishes!! I'll be sure to keep at it :D I do click with my mouse as well, cause I also play tetris quite a bit, and I position the pieces there with my right. So clicking keys is no worry of mine 8-)

Again, thank you to the both of you :D
Wishes

Blikkbokser wrote:

Thanks for the replies! Very good points from both of you. I've been a bit frustrated with them, and tried several different ways. I do spin the oposite way of what you OsuToothbrush wrote, but since it's the natural way for me to do it, I guess it would do more harm than good to try to revert it.

And thank you for that spinner map, Wishes!! I'll be sure to keep at it :D I do click with my mouse as well, cause I also play tetris quite a bit, and I position the pieces there with my right. So clicking keys is no worry of mine 8-)

Again, thank you to the both of you :D
No problem. Hope it goes well for you! :D