forum

How to play old maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NeKroMan4ik
Hi. You know that old maps are another world of mapping and they are very differ from modern maps. I can't feel rhythm between circles and the song and it seems they don't follow music at all. Any tips?
Implojin
click the circles
Akanagi
Biggest problem for you is probably just the AR and linear patterns. All that helps is getting acclimated to lower AR so that one of these problems is already alleviated.
Reading linear stuff comes over time, so does reading lower AR.
All you can do is to play more of them, but it's worth noting that you shouldn't start with old maps that are on the same SR as the maps you usually play. Try to go down like 1*, or try to find just slightly older maps that are a bit more modern maps but feature low AR so you can work on one issue at a time.

Try to remember the mappers of maps that you can play and look for more of their stuff, as they tend to just use their mapping style over and over.
ManuelOsuPlayer
They totally follow music, better even than modern maps what have tons of patterns more based on rhythm than music.
Put autoplay mod and listen carefully. Also some of them have really bad offset so you will have to adjust local offset to play them well.
You may also need shorter hitsounds. Use AR circles to overlap music beats.
Tamako Lumisade
Download a whole back of 1-100 beatmap packs and play them one by one. By time, you will start to feel it.
Nattsun

Rayne wrote:

Biggest problem for you is probably just the AR and linear patterns. All that helps is getting acclimated to lower AR so that one of these problems is already alleviated.
Reading linear stuff comes over time, so does reading lower AR.
All you can do is to play more of them, but it's worth noting that you shouldn't start with old maps that are on the same SR as the maps you usually play. Try to go down like 1*, or try to find just slightly older maps that are a bit more modern maps but feature low AR so you can work on one issue at a time.

Try to remember the mappers of maps that you can play and look for more of their stuff, as they tend to just use their mapping style over and over.
I second this. Also keep in mind that you shouldn't just jump into the cold water and start with <2009 mapping. Pick some 2010 AR8 maps and learn those first. You will get positive feedback way sooner and the transition from AR8 2010 maps to <2009 stuff will feel easier.
Deva
What everyone said but I'd like to add you should be careful because while most of old maps follow the rhythm better than modern maps you have some that are just plain bad and maybe you should consider avoiding them unless you are a hardcore masochist.

I'm glad that there are more fellow masochists who enjoy old maps
mulraf

Implojin wrote:

click the circles

to the beat!
worst fl player

NeKroMan4ik wrote:

You know that old maps are another world of mapping and they are very differ from modern maps.
Don't play new maps then