forum

How do I learn how to play DT?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast
I'm more looking for a "tried and tested" method to improve at DT, instead of just saying the obvious "play dt" which I'm already doing of course

I'm just looking here if there's some sort of way to speed up the method instead of just looking at a map I can play and put DT on it.
unless that's the method
Implojin
Find a bpm that you're comfortable at and play that for a bit, then move up

But really though don't play DT to get better at DT, play harder star nomod. Then you can come back and get free pp on the easy patterns because your reading will have improved.

At least, that's my experience, but I'm still terrible at clicking circles.
Wishes
To speed up the process, play not just DT farm maps, but maps which are actually challenging to play with DT. Not sure which you are playing but yeah.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast
I've been playing challenging DT maps, not farm maps.

Also

Implojin wrote:

Find a bpm that you're comfortable at and play that for a bit, then move up

But really though don't play DT to get better at DT, play harder star nomod. Then you can come back and get free pp on the easy patterns because your reading will have improved.

At least, that's my experience, but I'm still terrible at clicking circles.

Ever since the beginning I've always played things too hard for me, idk, it's just what I find fun, to have a struggle and overcome it.

I can't speak for certain but I probably can read 6-7* patterns better than most people at my rank
ManuelOsuPlayer
DT was the hardest mod to me to get into, due to sound really bad in my head.
Focus more on reading instead music helpped me to be able to play it.
Try learning to read hidden may help you to play DT.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast
I know how to read hidden already, well ok-ish atleast

Other than that, do you have any specific map that was useful for you to learn DT?
deletemyaccount
play more dt :^)

Ok, serious answer; think about what makes a dt map a dt map; is it the faster approach rate? the increased bpm?

Find what you're actually struggling with and work on that.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

mashedpopoto wrote:

play more dt :^)

Ok, serious answer; think about what makes a dt map a dt map; is it the faster approach rate? the increased bpm?

Find what you're actually struggling with and work on that.
It's definitely the higher BPM, I can work with AR 10 without many problems, but if bpm is higher than 210-220 well it becomes too fast for me.

I guess the only way to improve is to play higher BPM maps, which I do, but I'd appreciate if there was some kind of BPM roadmap I could follow so I could play maps at those bpms accordingly

Right now all I'm doing is playing 4.5* with DT and NF, where they aren't too fast that I'm just spamming, but its still very challenging for my current skill level due to my lack of speed
D_Loomz
4,5* with DT is 6* STOP, if u want to be good at DT just practice them on lower diffs first. If you want to be a good pilot, you must first learn the basics of flyin. A pilot won't be a good one if he/she start to fly a Boeing right away and do it again and again. What about 3* DT first, that's 5*, still big but I don'T mind now.
Endaris
Play more nomod.
No, really.
Hard-Diff+DT does not reach the complexity of an Insane diff of equal SR as the patterns are always simplified to a degree. There are nomods just as trivial as Hard+DT but there are more that aren't.
The desirable and admirable thing with DT is being able to play Insane difficulties with DT that are not completely trivial.
However, reading complexity is very difficult to improve on if you only play DT. The conclusion is to set yourself challenges in the nomod area as well instead of playing fulltime DT.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play where you're able to get 99% acc.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

Endaris wrote:

Play more nomod.
No, really.
Hard-Diff+DT does not reach the complexity of an Insane diff of equal SR as the patterns are always simplified to a degree. There are nomods just as trivial as Hard+DT but there are more that aren't.
The desirable and admirable thing with DT is being able to play Insane difficulties with DT that are not completely trivial.
However, reading complexity is very difficult to improve on if you only play DT. The conclusion is to set yourself challenges in the nomod area as well instead of playing fulltime DT.
I'm kinda tired of playing nomod, tbh I only play nomod when I wanna try those fun 7-8* maps, even if i'm absolute dogshit at it, it's fun, so i keep doing it. So i'll focus more on DT.

(Of course I also play 5*'s, which is my comfort difficulty, but whatever)

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play where you're able to get 99% acc.
I tend to play DT maps I can pass with 80% acc or more, right now most 3.5* maps give me 90% acc while higher 3.8* give me 80% acc
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play easier stuff then, speed increase faster at maps where you get 99% acc. than spaming faster maps what you can't do perfectly.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play easier stuff then, speed increase faster at maps where you get 99% acc. than spaming faster maps what you can't do perfectly.
But am I really getting faster doing 2* maps with DT? Because I definitely see 0 progress doing that.
ManuelOsuPlayer

UnnamedBeast wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

But am I really getting faster doing 2* maps with DT? Because I definitely see 0 progress doing that.
Ofc you do
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast
I can't see how, I'm not challenging myself in anyway, it feels slow even, even if its a high bpm song
DXPOHIHIHI
If your singletapping is too slow then try switching to full alt whenever you play with dt
ManuelOsuPlayer
If it's that easy why you have only 6 SS archived? xD
You can't run without know how to walk.
KupcaH
If you want to get good at DT play more nomod as Endaris said.

I don't know any DT players that became good by playing only DT so early without being average on nomod. Also, there's no reason to play Hards with DT unless you just play to improve speed because patterns are pretty simple in Hard unlike insanes.

So, if you REALLY want to learn on how to play DT, forget about DT for now and play nomod more.

Also, don't play 2* maps with DT. There's absolutely no reason in doing that.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

szkiller wrote:

If your singletapping is too slow then try switching to full alt whenever you play with dt

I full alt already, singletapping speed isn't an issue because I never singletap

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

If it's that easy why you have only 6 SS archived? xD
You can't run without know how to walk.

Because I don't play maps that I can SS easily, they're boring, and useless even in obtaining rank.

KupcaH wrote:

If you want to get good at DT play more nomod as Endaris said.

I don't know any DT players that became good by playing only DT so early without being average on nomod. Also, there's no reason to play Hards with DT unless you just play to improve speed because patterns are pretty simple in Hard unlike insanes.

So, if you REALLY want to learn on how to play DT, forget about DT for now and play nomod more.

Also, don't play 2* maps with DT. There's absolutely no reason in doing that.

Speed improvement is my endgame, so I'll keep on.

I've only been doing 3.8-4* with DT, and have had noticeable improvements in speed. Nomod for the most part until 6* isn't an issue, but I could have better accuracy on it.
KupcaH

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Nomod for the most part until 6* isn't an issue, but I could have better accuracy on it.
I doubt it. You're getting B and C ranks on farm maps. How the hell it's "isn't an issue" for you?
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

KupcaH wrote:

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Nomod for the most part until 6* isn't an issue, but I could have better accuracy on it.
I doubt it. You're getting B and C ranks on farm maps. How the hell it's "isn't an issue" for you?
shit acc, lol, and mostly because I never replay farm maps so whatever acc it lands on, whether its completely dogshit or an S, is what is there.

I could, probably have better accuracy on most things if I gave one, but most of the times I'm playing for fun, so if I have a shitmiss here or there I keep playing.
KupcaH
Except that you have zero S ranks on 5*+ maps in your top plays. Also, you don't need to retry to get good acc. If "nomod for the most part until 6* isn't an issue" you would get fullcombo's and good acc plays on farm maps on first plays without a need to retry.

You're just bad at nomod. And you need to get good at nomod to be able to play Insane maps with DT.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

KupcaH wrote:

Except that you have zero S ranks on 5*+ maps in your top plays. Also, you don't need to retry to get good acc. If "nomod for the most part until 6* isn't an issue" you would get fullcombo's and good acc plays on farm maps on first plays without a need to retry.

You're just bad at nomod. And you need to get good at nomod to be able to play Insane maps with DT.
You're right, but I don't need to be able to FC 5* maps do be faster at the game, and as I said before, besides playing DT itself, my endgame is on being faster.

Being able to FC 5* doesn't mean you're good at DT.

The only way to practice something is to do it, not just do something related to it, of course, it helps being better at the "base game" but my focus is being faster, and I don't see any improvement in my speed, even comparing the same map in a span of a week or 2, usually not improving much at speed.

I get better at nomod, that I do, but at DT any improvement is minimal.
D_Loomz

UnnamedBeast wrote:

KupcaH wrote:

You're right, but I don't need to be able to FC 5* maps do be faster at the game, and as I said before, besides playing DT itself, my endgame is on being faster.

Being able to FC 5* doesn't mean you're good at DT.

The only way to practice something is to do it, not just do something related to it, of course, it helps being better at the "base game" but my focus is being faster, and I don't see any improvement in my speed, even comparing the same map in a span of a week or 2, usually not improving much at speed.

I get better at nomod, that I do, but at DT any improvement is minimal.
It's not minimal, it just takes time, as everything in this game and for some reason so many people want to skip this time, what KupcaH meant i guess was play entirely nomod first and not for weeks, but for around 3500-4000pp, seeing good results won'T happen in days, and this are said from people who are actually good, DT too.
Topic Starter
UnnamedBeast

DLoomz wrote:

It's not minimal, it just takes time, as everything in this game and for some reason so many people want to skip this time, what KupcaH meant i guess was play entirely nomod first and not for weeks, but for around 3500-4000pp, seeing good results won'T happen in days, and this are said from people who are actually good, DT too.
The reason is because everyone wants instant results.
show more