forum

How to determine osu! playstle?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Laggy
I am trying to determine the style in which I play. I feel like it changes every day and I have to constantly change my settings accordingly. I haven't really been in the community that much, and i've only played the game, so I'm not sure what all the play styles are. I personally believe I am a sight reader most of the time, but I might be confusing that will something I don't know the name of. What are all the play styles? What determines them? Can you train yourself to be a different type of player? Should I not even pay attention to any of this and just play maps? PROS HELP PLS

P.s. I'm not talking about styles as in keyboard/mouse/tablet/touchscreen ect if it wasn't obvious lol
Deva
Just do what's the most comfortable for you. Play more.
Topic Starter
Laggy

Deva wrote:

What's comfortable for me one day is uncomfortable for me the next. It's like im a different person every day.
Deva
What do you even mean by play style? I don't even know what a sight reader is. Please give more info if you want actual helpful advice.
Topic Starter
Laggy
Play style. How you play. Cookiezi has a playstyle different from WubWoofWolf, and different from Rafis. If YOU don't have any actual helpful advice, don't reply, and let someone who actually has answers reply.
Tamako Lumisade
It's not "uncomfortable to you", you are just tired from a previous gaming session. Continue that "uncomfortable" style and play it a lot. So much, that it naturally becomes more natural.
Frikandel

Laggy wrote:

Play style. How you play. Cookiezi has a playstyle different from WubWoofWolf, and different from Rafis. If YOU don't have any actual helpful advice, don't reply, and let someone who actually has answers reply.
That Deva guy is just a troll.

Your playstyle is something I think develops naturally. You'll subconsciously find what is best for you. But, you can also try literally copying some players for a while. You don't have to restrict yourself to the absolute best players. If you know somebody's playstyle you could try it out for yourself to see if it feels comfortable. But don't expect it to feel good right away. Takes a while.
Topic Starter
Laggy

Husky wrote:

It's not "uncomfortable to you", you are just tired from a previous gaming session. Continue that "uncomfortable" style and play it a lot. So much, that it naturally becomes more natural.

>only play osu for a week
>each day when I start playing, i have to change the settings/sens/tablet area to something different

it's not that i'm tired it's just that i'm inconsistent with my style. I want to find the playstyle that I like most and train to get used to it. But thanks i'll continue to play the uncomfortable style to get better, i guess that'd make me an all around player? lol

Frikandel wrote:

Laggy wrote:

That Deva guy is just a troll.

Your playstyle is something I think develops naturally. You'll subconsciously find what is best for you. But, you can also try literally copying some players for a while. You don't have to restrict yourself to the absolute best players. If you know somebody's playstyle you could try it out for yourself to see if it feels comfortable. But don't expect it to feel good right away. Takes a while.

I don't mean to copy top players, I was just giving examples. RN i just play any map i get from random, but i've been told that doesn't make you get better. And on top of that, I don't even know all the play styles haha.. so yeah i'm a big noob.
Oh Hyuk
*this is hella long* :P

I do not compeletely understand(langauge thing) but I would like to give some input.

when you say that your "playstyle" changes everyday and you change accordingly; I feel like this inhibits you from improving as a player because each time you change your settings it changes yours muscle memory just a little bit so you have to adjust.(just a note)

In terms of your definition of playstyle, I believe sight reading is a type of play style... for example your way of playing is jumping into new maps or diffs blindly and performing well some examples of this would be; being very very accurate or being very inaccurate, ability to read low AR etc.

Other examples I beleieve are playstyles is playing strictly with certain mods such as flash light or hidden or more specificly EZ(some players play with only this mod and its their playstyle, what they are comfortable playing with, or what they deem as fun)

Another example of playstyle would be how you hold you mouse? or pen. the fingers you use to press the keys... ive seen some people alternate or single tap with their pointer and or their ring finger. Another example of this is how Hvick holds his pen(lol)

What determines these playstyles is purely up to you, theres no rule book on how to play the game.

Of course you can train yourself to be a different type of player... Not everyone is good at Hardrock or Doubletime, not everyone is good at hidden, and no one plays flash light or EZ. If you want to set the difference, then be good at something no one is good at I.E playing with flash or ez. If that isn't within your ball park than go with something like no-mod or hd, hr or the combination of both.

Experiment with how you use your peripherials, find a playstyle you are comfortable with and STICK with it.

Hope this answers your questions, if not then so be it.
Wishes
Newsflash: osu doesn't have "playstyles" the way you're defining it. It's not a strategy game, stop overcomplicating, click circles. That's it.
Topic Starter
Laggy

Wishes wrote:

Newsflash: osu doesn't have "playstyles" the way you're defining it. It's not a strategy game, stop overcomplicating, click circles. That's it.

Any game has playstyles. Are you stupid, Wishes?

Oh Hyuk wrote:

*this is hella long* :P

I do not compeletely understand(langauge thing) but I would like to give some input.

when you say that your "playstyle" changes everyday and you change accordingly; I feel like this inhibits you from improving as a player because each time you change your settings it changes yours muscle memory just a little bit so you have to adjust.(just a note)

In terms of your definition of playstyle, I believe sight reading is a type of play style... for example your way of playing is jumping into new maps or diffs blindly and performing well some examples of this would be; being very very accurate or being very inaccurate, ability to read low AR etc.

Other examples I beleieve are playstyles is playing strictly with certain mods such as flash light or hidden or more specificly EZ(some players play with only this mod and its their playstyle, what they are comfortable playing with, or what they deem as fun)

Another example of playstyle would be how you hold you mouse? or pen. the fingers you use to press the keys... ive seen some people alternate or single tap with their pointer and or their ring finger. Another example of this is how Hvick holds his pen(lol)

What determines these playstyles is purely up to you, theres no rule book on how to play the game.

Of course you can train yourself to be a different type of player... Not everyone is good at Hardrock or Doubletime, not everyone is good at hidden, and no one plays flash light or EZ. If you want to set the difference, then be good at something no one is good at I.E playing with flash or ez. If that isn't within your ball park than go with something like no-mod or hd, hr or the combination of both.

Experiment with how you use your peripherials, find a playstyle you are comfortable with and STICK with it.

Hope this answers your questions, if not then so be it.

Thank you so much Hyuk :) I have recently stopped changing my settings and that has helped a lot to improve and i've been making better scores than I have in the past few months. I'll definitely start playing more mods and improving on peripherals and such :)
Wishes
Playstyles of course there are. There's tablet or mouse or touchscreen. Then you said in the OP that's not what you mean. Don't call me stupid when your dumb question didn't even make any sense to begin with.
Topic Starter
Laggy

Wishes wrote:

Playstyles of course there are. There's tablet or mouse or touchscreen. Then you said in the OP that's not what you mean. Don't call me stupid when your dumb question didn't even make any sense to begin with.

Ok, i didn't mean to call you stupid, i apologize. But there are styles of play aside from what you use to play the game. It's not what you play with but how you play with them and the skills you posses. Leave the thread now cus you haven't had any real feedback to the question.
KupcaH

Laggy wrote:

I am trying to determine the style in which I play. I feel like it changes every day and I have to constantly change my settings accordingly. I haven't really been in the community that much, and i've only played the game, so I'm not sure what all the play styles are. I personally believe I am a sight reader most of the time, but I might be confusing that will something I don't know the name of. What are all the play styles? What determines them? Can you train yourself to be a different type of player? Should I not even pay attention to any of this and just play maps? PROS HELP PLS

P.s. I'm not talking about styles as in keyboard/mouse/tablet/touchscreen ect if it wasn't obvious lol
Stick to one setting. You're not going any far by changing settings every while. Even if you feel quite uncomfortable, stick to it.

And what the hell do you mean by "playstyle"? Sight reader? What? Everyone does sight read maps.
Wishes
Writes vague and poorly worded questions >> attacks people for trying to make sense of it and tells them to stop posting.
Great job being toxic!
*clap*clap*
Fxjlk
Its ok to change your play style, you are probably going through growing pains and so your style will change with it. Different styles work better at different levels of play and differ from person to person so copying someone else's style wont always work but it can sometimes.

Good luck
Topic Starter
Laggy

Wishes wrote:

Writes vague and poorly worded questions >> attacks people for trying to make sense of it and tells them to stop posting.
Great job being toxic!
*clap*clap*
How did i attack you, you came in here and started acting like a cocky know-it-all with a smug snarky remark. If youre not gonna be king to someone then don't get depressed over someone not being nice back, you absolute loser.

KupcaH wrote:

Stick to one setting. You're not going any far by changing settings every while. Even if you feel quite uncomfortable, stick to it.

And what the hell do you mean by "playstyle"? Sight reader? What? Everyone does sight read maps.
Yeah, i stopped changing my settings and i'm seeing improvement. When I knew that sooner. Also yeah, everyone sight reads the first 1-3 times they play a map, but a sight read player is someone who if they can't do it the first 1-3 times, they move onto another map [i believe, that is what i was told] But there's other styles to play the game. Like people who only play small cs maps, people who only play hd, only dt, only ez, people who play one map over and over until they score, people who play the same song but different beatmaps, ect i can't think of many examples but there's a whole lot more and that's the reason I posted the thread is to ask what they are and how to play them.

Deva wrote:

Well yeah, that's obvious, but thanks :)
ManuelOsuPlayer
I think the maps you chose to play and what you try to archive on them is mostly what define your playstyle at long term.
For.example, if my goal is pass hardest and hardest maps, yours is farm PP, and fc things and other dude goal is be able to play everything at a good level... Our ways to play and our skills evolved will be really different.
Keeping the same example, if we 3 players meet at a multiplayer match, and play 3 maps:
4* map with jumps, 5* tech map, and 7* stream map.
You will be the winner at the 4* map since you spend more time at those maps what are going to give you PP if you get 99% acc fc. The overall player would always be close to you getting fc and 98% acc. I may get a 97%-99% acc with some miesses because i didn't stop enought time to improve my performance at those.
At 5* tech map the overall player would win because is usted to tons of different patterns and have consistence at them all. You might be able to play the map, but will be long for you, since you're used to 3* DT maps, what give you speed, but no stamina and/or patterns knowledge. I would perform confortable but without get a good score.
At the 7* stream map you would be unable to play it, since you're used to triples after jumps and few short streams, but you usually don't play long stream maps, since jumps are easier and more rentable to win PP. The overall player will do pretty well, with maybe some chokes since didn't expecd tons of time on those maps, but enought to feel confortable. And i obviously would win since i'm usted to practice and spend my time at similar stuff. So i have the stamina, speed and consistence need to perform well.

Who is the best player of the 3? You can't actually know, since the 3 players have evolved their own playstyle to be able to performance better at other scenarios.
My hand would be on a possition where i can get more speed, yours in a possition where you did find more control, and the other player would be able to adapt better to any possition or find a possition where he find control and speed.
I would have more stamina and consistence aiming, you will be faster and quicker, the other player will be fast and consistent.

At the end the playstyle will adapt to what you try to do. And how you do those things.
If you find follow the followpoints keeping the flow the best way to farm PP jump maps this may lead on a flow aim at other patterns. If you find snipe the more consistent way to play patterns, then your aim will be more precise.
It's imposible to determine a playstyle since it always change at small things and you also will be learning new and more efficient ways to do things while you are playing more and more maps and improving the performance at them.
Wishes
Alright, I'll explain what I meant since you don't seem to have a single clue why your OP doesn't make any sense. This is what you wrote:

Laggy wrote:

Players in osu certainly don't change their styles on a day to day basis. In the first place, what you seem to think of as playstyles are simply players' strengths. For example if you say "Player X is a DT player", that doesn't really make it his playstyle; that's just what he happens to be best at. It doesn't mean he can't play anything else. A playstyle is by definition differing approaches players of a game can take to achieve the same in game objectives. For example if I'm spectating in counter-strike, I can say "this player is very aggressive, this player is passive, this player is a flanker, this player is a camper". They take very different approaches to achieve the same goals, which is to get frags and win the game. If I throw the same osu map at two different players they will need to make the same movements and tap at the same times to achieve the same results. There is nothing else they could have done.

So trying to find your "playstyle" is meaningless. You will have stuff you're good at, and stuff you're not. That's just life. You don't wake up one morning and think "I'm going to be a fast player" and two days later "Nah I'm going to be good at streams". So no, you can't train yourself to be a different type of player, and you should not pay attention to any of this and just play maps. You literally said it yourself in the OP, and that's what I was trying to say in my first post:

Wishes wrote:

I may have come across as "cocky", "smug" and "snarky" to you but I was simply trying to be succinct. And I'm not apologizing for that. Take it however you want.
DXPOHIHIHI
Play with singletap, it's a great technique used by many players