forum

[invalid] Higher .osu beatmap name character limit

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mijkolsmith
So I tried uploading my beatmap to osu, and nobody could play the chart.
I didn't get why; so I backed up the map and downloaded it from the site, and it apparently deleted my difficulty and replaced it with an empty 'audio.osu'.
I tried dragging the original file back, and it gave me the error file name too long.
Why is there a limit on how long an .osu file can be?

The metadata of this song is extremely big: "Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing ft. TJ Davis (Cash Cash vs. Jun Senoue Remix) (mijkolsmith) [Try to keep your feet right on the ground]" (139 characters).
This time, shortening the difficulty name is obviously the easiest and obvious option.
But what if the metadata name is so long you can't even upload the chart because of it?

That brings me to my point: Remove the character limit or make it something like double what it is now (it's somewhere under 139 right now).
Bakuretsue
add pls
Death
The error you saw is not the result of a limit placed on .osu file names. Windows file paths have a length limitation of 260 characters. If someone has their osu! saved in appdata (the default installation location), the full path to your map would be something like: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\osu!\Songs\780976 Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing ft TJ Davis (Cash Cash vs Jun Senoue Remix)\Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing ft. TJ Davis (Cash Cash vs. Jun Senoue Remix) (mijkolsmith) [Try to keep your feet right on the ground].osu" which is well past the limit.

Windows 10 Version 1607+ already allows you to remove this max path length limitation on common Win32 folders, although you need to opt-in (change some registry key). Maybe one day this will be the default behavior on Windows. There may be some weird workaround to save files past the 260 character limit I mentioned, but for now I think that's largely unnecessary if one exists at all and if it's even possible to implement.
Topic Starter
mijkolsmith

Death wrote:

The error you saw is not the result of a limit placed on .osu file names. Windows file paths have a length limitation of 260 characters. If someone has their osu! saved in appdata (the default installation location), the full path to your map would be something like: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\osu!\Songs\780976 Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing ft TJ Davis (Cash Cash vs Jun Senoue Remix)\Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing ft. TJ Davis (Cash Cash vs. Jun Senoue Remix) (mijkolsmith) [Try to keep your feet right on the ground].osu" which is well past the limit.

Windows 10 Version 1607+ already allows you to remove this max path length limitation on common Win32 folders, although you need to opt-in (change some registry key). Maybe one day this will be the default behavior on Windows. There may be some weird workaround to save files past the 260 character limit I mentioned, but for now I think that's largely unnecessary if one exists at all and if it's even possible to implement.
Thanks for your in-depth reply! So it's not osu related at all.
That solves my question and deletes the point of this request.