forum

Splitting Overall Difficulty. [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zerostarry
Split the Overall Difficulty into 4 separate settings:

* The speed at which notes fade in
* The harshness of the hit window (accuracy)
* The difficulty of spinners
* The Speed of approach circles

These could go in a "Advanced Settings" tab in the Difficulty window.

What do you guys think?
YoshiKart
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
mattyu007
I like this idea~
adamskii_uk
I like this idea too. :)
ash
isn't this already on the to-do list? i remember suggesting this like months ago and getting a "will be done in the future" response

Download: Falcom Sound Team JDK - Ernst (bmin11) [Sample].osu
oboewan
And then you can have a "difficulty square" kinda like the "difficulty pentagon" in Stepmania!

I like it!

I OFFICIALLY SUPPORT THIS REQUEST.
Topic Starter
Zerostarry
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
m980
This would do wonders for Authentic mapping.
Kitty McWittles

Zerostarry wrote:

I really want this added.
It's not added but it's in the Completed Requests subsection? o.O

And to avoid spam... I'm not much of a mapper myself, but I understand how useful this could be and support it too.
mm201

m980 wrote:

This would do wonders for Authentic mapping.
Shh, peppy has a vendetta against authentic mapping, and if he sees this, it will never get added! D=

IMO, it would be enough to split Overall Difficulty into Approach Rate (time the circles spend on the screen before you click them and the speed at which approach circles move) and Hit Window (error tolerance margin for scoring a 300/100/50 on a note). Spinner Difficulty might also be fair, seeing how on Authentic Easys, spinners tend to be pushovers but the hit window is just as mean. *still doesn't have an S on Walkie Talkie Man [Breezin']*

There are times when you want the circles to move in very slowly, but you don't necessarily want the hit window to be a pushover. Sometimes, slower approach circles can even make things harder and more confusing. *cough*JJF*cough*
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

There are times when you want the circles to move in very slowly, but you don't necessarily want the hit window to be a pushover. Sometimes, slower approach circles can even make things harder and more confusing. *cough*JJF*cough*
Agreed.

+1 support.
Gens

Samurai_X wrote:

It's not added but it's in the Completed Requests subsection? o.O

peppy wrote:

Feature requests will automatically be moved to the "resolved" subforum after 28 days.
And... Yes, I like this Feature. :)

kideddie1501
Topic Starter
Zerostarry
Kitty McWittles

Gens wrote:

peppy wrote:

Feature requests will automatically be moved to the "resolved" subforum after 28 days
/me fails :(
Topic Starter
Zerostarry
Bump (and moved out of completed)
Derekku
+Support.

I always love more customization options. Plus it adds the ability for more creativity :)
KawaiiLily
mm201
Bump.

Just think of the possibilities:
  1. Slow approach/small hit window for JJF-style confusion.
  2. Fast approach/sane hit window for Cheergirls goodness without necessarily hitting 100s everywhere.
Gabi

Zerostarry wrote:

* Approach Rate (Fading, approach circles)
* Hit Window
* Spinner Difficulty
hit window should not be messed with

setting a super short spinner which you can 2000 easily is just odd

that leaves approach rate, which you can already set.

also this will most likley confuse new mappers even more.

i do not support this
Starrodkirby86
If new mappers get confused from it, why are they even looking in an 'Advanced' tab? :roll:
They can still set the Overall Difficulty like always, it's just for the people that want to tweak particular aspects of the song with some Advanced Settings.

Looking at this, how would the peppystars be handled? o:

I have some faint support here.
CheeseWarlock
I'd like to add something but I don't think there's any more to say. +1 support.
mm201

Gabi wrote:

hit window should not be messed with
Explain. Please consider playing Music Hour on Insane (approach rate IS authentic) before replying.

Gabi wrote:

setting a super short spinner which you can 2000 easily is just odd
Of course, every new worthwhile feature has abuse potential, but there are many benefits to be had as well. (And BTW if peppy adds this, you can be sure that there will be reasonable restrictions on the settings.)

Gabi wrote:

that leaves approach rate, which you can already set.
Not directly. You can only set a combined approach rate/hit window setting, which brings us back to point (1).

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Looking at this, how would the peppystars be handled? o:
Average Approach Rate and Hit Window to calculate Overall Difficulty?
Gabi
its just like you said, any new feature can be abused, which is why we dont need to have 3 more things in the overall difficulty getting abused. i don't really care about the "authentic" maps. this is not Oendan/EBA, it is based on it though.

have a super small hitbox with super fast/slow circle approach would just feel retarded (IMO idk about how you feel during game play) and having a super large hitbox with super fast/slow would just be abusing the system giving everyone easy SS's. having it "inbetween" would just be like it is now.

as of spinners, im kind of neutral on this actually. however i DOUBT peppy would make spinners easier then they can be on the easiest overall difficulty, thus leaving us with 1/4 maybe 2/4 shorter spinners then the rankable ones

also if this feature would be implemented wouldn't it kind of affect the already ranked maps? or would all settings be exactly set to the correct settings?

You can only set a combined approach rate/hit window setting
i stand but what i said that THIS compliment each other well already and does NOT need any more features.

again these are my oppinions, if you think they are stupid go ahead and ignore them.
mm201
The point is, as it is now, when the approach rate is set really high, the hit window becomes impossibly small, such that even the best player will hit 100s all over the place. (Note the lack of SSes on that map and all the FC Bs in the top 50.)

Even though the far right two settings for Overall Difficulty correspond to playable approach rates, they do not correspond to playable hit windows. The mapper should be allowed to pick these approach rates but still use a more sane hit window.
peppy
What about changing the hit window for the highest two settings rather than splitting this out?
anonymous_old
Gabi
Derekku
After reading over this thread, I really don't see any point in this request :/
m980
So what happened with this request?
Topic Starter
Zerostarry
o.o

It died, though I'd still like to see this added
mm201
It went where every good feature request related to mapping goes. =/
Torran
+Support
Sleep Powder
Mystearica
Kitsunemimi
moar support gogogo
show more