forum

On the variables Affecting Performance with the greatest Coefficients

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47
I'll state my way of thinking again.
Improvement isn't as simple as "play more". If that's the case then there shouldn't be people who are better than you even though you've played the game more than they have. If you're not improving, it's not because you're playing less, it's because you're thinking less. If you can't overcome a plateau, then you simply don't know how to improve further. If you don't know how to improve further, it's because you lost patience. That's why you're asking why you're not improving in the first place.

With my perspective aside, today I'm going to list the variables described in the title according to my experience so far.

1. Yourself
Of course. Without the determination to improve, you will not get better. It's not just about your mindset, it's also about your body. Consider cutting your playtime into 30-minute sessions, not staying up late at night, and having some actual exercise specially with your hands. Cookiezi didn't sell his soul to the devil.

2. Equipment
"About half of being good at osu! is what equipment you have.". —Cookiezi
Even if you're the most determined osu! player out there, sometimes you simply can't reach the top. A dream is a dream, after all.
This is why it's impossible for me to reach the top 100. Let me elaborate on the next variable.

3. Friction
This has everything to do with your mouse pad and your mouse. A DIY mousepad would serve me better; a better mouse costs me money. Once you get past all that, you then have to deal with cable resistance (the cord connecting your mouse to your PC; both its friction against the desk, and the reaction force exerted against your hand). If you can adapt to it in time, great. If you're not one of those lucky people, you limit its effect instead. Having higher mouse DPI is one such method, allowing for higher sensitivity without sacrificing accuracy, meaning you move your mouse around less, meaning less cord drag. I don't have the money to buy that, but if you're one of those lucky people, great.

Well, that's all. I can elaborate on the first variable, but I see no point as you'd find them yourself if you have the determination anyway. I'd appreciate hearing your problems in the game, both solved and unsolved; if you solved it, that'll help me out once I have the money to start playing this game professionally; if you haven't, I might be able to help you find the solution.
Wishes
90% of people blaming their equipment are not being limited in any way by their equipment. Because it's just the easiest thing to say/think. Imo the "variables affecting performance with the greatest coefficients" are simply: 1.) Play time. 2.) Talent.
Anything else is largely an excuse.
- e - v - b-
Unless you’re on a laptop from the 90’s and using one of those stupid ball mice. Your equipment is quite honestly, fucking irrelevant.
dung eater
Cord drag sounds like you have too short cord or have it set up improperly. If the whole cord gets stressed when playing, that's no good. Setting up a point just after mousepad that relieves stress from the rest of cable and can give and take cable depending on need is nice (and easy to achieve by sacrificing desk space).
Realmas

deemoplayer47 wrote:

once I have the money to start playing this game professionally
lol

I don't like to say that but just play more before starting to speculate about the fact that it's impossible for you to reach the top, just play more and stop blaming your equipment, because the "it's impossible for me to reach the top 100 because of my equipment" sounds ridiculous. Right now you only have 37 hours of playtime and your top plays are 2* maps : you barely know the game, or at least experienced it by yourself, and at this point, by simply playing more you'll get better, yes. Even with a shitty equipment you can reach the top if you try hard, not even talking about 6 digits ranks. Sure equipment also matters, but not as much as you think it does.
If you want to improve, just play a lot of different maps from every style that are challenging to you (or not sometimes) while being aware of what you're doing, and you'll improve a lot. Later, when you'll be able to play harder maps, there will be other things to consider if you want to improve, but right now, just play more, really.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, that wasn't my intention c:
ManuelOsuPlayer
You're totally wrong. Less you think, better you play.
DeletedUser_6869432
The problem with people looking at cookezi as a god is that they forget he is human too. He was obviosuly making a sarcastic statement, no top player believes that it's the equipment that makes you a better player (touchscreen is a different story, and if you want to bring that up keep in mind it gives half the pp. Even if he wasn't joking, it's stupid to think that somebody is better just because of their equipment.

You are the only one holding yourself back.
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47

Wishes wrote:

90% of people blaming their equipment are not being limited in any way by their equipment. Because it's just the easiest thing to say/think.

To be honest, I didn't blame my equipment at first either. Who cares if I'm using mouse, doesn't mean I can't surpass tablet players. In fact I wanted to reach the top with mouse instead of tablet, because that's the ideal image I had of myself: someone who does things his own way.
I know I can reach a pretty high level with what I currently have... but certainly not the top.

Realmas wrote:

Right now you only have 37 hours of playtime and your top plays are 2* maps : you barely know the game, or at least experienced it by yourself, and at this point, by simply playing more you'll get better, yes. Even with a shitty equipment you can reach the top if you try hard, not even talking about 6 digits ranks. Sure equipment also matters, but not as much as you think it does.

2.6-2.8* range is currently where I can comfortably FC with 96+% acc, it's just that pp calculation isn't exactly reliable... I mean I don't know why my ANiMA [Normal]+HDHRSS is #2, nor why asphyxia [Easy] DTHRSS is #5; as for the Septette [Normal], it's my second try, so it gave more pp. The only plays I'm proud of are Classical Insanity [Allegro] and Marigold [Hard], one ~3* and the other 3.27*.

kacper124 wrote:

The problem with people looking at cookezi as a god is that they forget he is human too. He was obviosuly making a sarcastic statement, no top player believes that it's the equipment that makes you a better player

"About half of being good at osu! is what equipment you have, I’d say. For instance,
if I ditched my mechanical keyboard and went back to my rubber dome keyboard
now, I would not be able to Double Time anything above 160 BPM. Same goes for
tablet/mouse. There are, of course, players with mice who do amazing things, so
that’s why I say half."

(https://puu.sh/36sP, Page 6)

I appreciate the motivation you're giving, but I don't want to gamble my efforts on such a distant goal rn, much less sacrifice everything else for it.
Wishes
You're so far far away from the top (I am too, and most people on this forum), that it is useless to think about reaching the top or any such nonsense. Just play the game. Cookiezi's quote, while somewhat true, only starts to apply once you reach 6-7 star maps and the speed, stamina and aim required really starts to push your physical limits. Let's take running for an example. If I tell you to walk at a leisurely pace, it really doesn't matter if you're walking in the best running shoes known to man or bare-feet, you're not going to be hindered in your walking speed. If I tell you to sprint 100m and I'm timing you, you're definitely going to want to go with the running shoes. Same with osu. Right now you're still at the crawling stage, so no equipment in the world will make much difference. It's only when you're pushing the limits of what you are physically capable of and not limited by your mental capacity to read notes or follow rhythm or whatever that any difference of equipment are relevant. The top players are constantly at this limit. You are not. So stop worrying about it completely.
- e - v - b-

Wishes wrote:

You're so far far away from the top (I am too, and most people on this forum), that it is useless to think about reaching the top or any such nonsense. Just play the game. Cookiezi's quote, while somewhat true, only starts to apply once you reach 6-7 star maps and the speed, stamina and aim required really starts to push your physical limits. Let's take running for an example. If I tell you to walk at a leisurely pace, it really doesn't matter if you're walking in the best running shoes known to man or bare-feet, you're not going to be hindered in your walking speed. If I tell you to sprint 100m and I'm timing you, you're definitely going to want to go with the running shoes. Same with osu. Right now you're still at the crawling stage, so no equipment in the world will make much difference. It's only when you're pushing the limits of what you are physically capable of and not limited by your mental capacity to read notes or follow rhythm or whatever that any difference of equipment are relevant. The top players are constantly at this limit. You are not. So stop worrying about it completely.

Basically what he said, personally I am just now reaching a point where I think my keyboard might be affecting my speed and I have played more than 20 times as much as you. You don't need to worry about this stuff yet.
kai99

deemoplayer47 wrote:

1. Yourself
Of course. Without the determination to improve, you will not get better. It's not just about your mindset, it's also about your body. Consider cutting your playtime into 30-minute sessions, not staying up late at night, and having some actual exercise specially with your hands. Cookiezi didn't sell his soul to the devil.
ok this is tru

2. Equipment
Even if you're the most determined osu! player out there, sometimes you simply can't reach the top. A dream is a dream, after all.
This is why it's impossible for me to reach the top 100. Let me elaborate on the next variable.
ahh ok ok so i cant get better with my laptop keyboard, alright
oh what about my osu on mac that runs on wine
i'll never improve sry
:(

3. Friction
This has everything to do with your mouse pad and your mouse. A DIY mousepad would serve me better; a better mouse costs me money. Once you get past all that, you then have to deal with cable resistance (the cord connecting your mouse to your PC; both its friction against the desk, and the reaction force exerted against your hand). If you can adapt to it in time, great. If you're not one of those lucky people, you limit its effect instead. Having higher mouse DPI is one such method, allowing for higher sensitivity without sacrificing accuracy, meaning you move your mouse around less, meaning less cord drag. I don't have the money to buy that, but if you're one of those lucky people, great.
tell that to flyingtuna or funorange. or, buy a mousepad.
or buy a mouse.
if you like this game and believe equipment is key, go ahead~

Well, that's all. I can elaborate on the first variable, but I see no point as you'd find them yourself if you have the determination anyway. I'd appreciate hearing your problems in the game, both solved and unsolved; if you solved it, that'll help me out once I have the money to start playing this game professionally; if you haven't, I might be able to help you find the solution.
put about 300 more hours into this game my little boy
Akanagi

Wishes wrote:

only starts to apply once you reach 6-7 star maps and the speed, stamina and aim required really starts to push your physical limits.
If we're talking about human limits: Just no. Take a good look at the 6-7* maps out there and you'll see they aren't even close to reaching that point. They appear so fast and inhuman when you play them because it is related to your reading and makes those maps feel way faster than they actually are.

ILY is already a 7,4* and that map is perfectly doable for everyone who put enough time into the game, and there are more than enough nomod players who actually have to farm 6-7*. It's not that these people are gifted or some magical bs, they just spent more time than you and have better reading. I don't think human limit starts even at like 10* maps, unless its some 340BPM stream or smthn.
Aim and the speed of it shouldn't be a problem at all since lower areas can easily counteract it.

99% of the time the reading of players is just too bad, and not actually their equipment, speed or whatever.
dung eater
Tapping is pretty much the same on any keyboard. Aiming is a lot about reading and depending on how you use mouse and later tablet the physical aiming can be very similiar, too. Going from low sens mouse to large area tablet felt very effortless, both relying heavily on arm for most movement.
Piefayth
It's kind of ignorant to act like equipment is irrelevant. When input is only polled per frame, the difference between 60 fps and 500fps is massive, and I think "computer" is part of equipment. A 144hz monitor can help you read. Or like, you can fix minor gameplay problems. I kept losing my grip on my pen after about a minute, which is obviously unsustainable, so I got a rubber grip that slides on my pen and immediately improved. Or how about the new tablet drivers, do those count? Those helped me a ton. I even think "friction" is a good point. I use tablet and drag, so switching from the slippery default nibs to the higher friction flex nibs made a difference.

Equipment isn't ever going to replace practice and talent, but I think making your setup as comfortable as possible is a huge boon.
-Makishima S-

deemoplayer47 wrote:

I'll state my way of thinking again.
Improvement isn't as simple as "play more". If that's the case then there shouldn't be people who are better than you even though you've played the game more than they have. If you're not improving, it's not because you're playing less, it's because you're thinking less. If you can't overcome a plateau, then you simply don't know how to improve further. If you don't know how to improve further, it's because you lost patience. That's why you're asking why you're not improving in the first place.
Improvement is done by playing more and it is simple as this. You miss crucial fact - it is 2D clicker with aim component, there is nothing complex in this. As this game contain aim component, it require you to actually think what are you doing and watch where are the objects. Still, there is nothing complex in this and there is nothing magical to help you with this.

deemoplayer47 wrote:

1. Yourself
You forget one thing - there are people talented and there are people who work out. People who work out will never be better than talented players. It is simple as that. Both type of people, at same time, with same play time - talented person will improve 2-3 or more depends on dedication than someone who is working his ass down. This is already proved fact. Search for Railey2 post about this.

deemoplayer47 wrote:

2. Equipment
SiLVia was playing with a 5 bucks mouse, rubberdome keyboard, 59hz 4:3 industrial garbage monitor. What he done with this? Being considered as one of the best mouse players in history of this game. No, equipment helps but it is not what will hold you back. I got tablet @ 1k/1,1k pp. Mech keyboard @ 3k pp. Till this time I was playing with Razer Naga 2014 which is one of worst possible mouses for this game and old, barely working rubberdome keyboard.

Point - I am type of player who works out shit in hard way. I have literally zero talent and dedication to this game, not to mention physical condition (eyes problems are biggest problem here which I also overcome).

So no - Play More - is still one and only valid advice.
Someone who works out shit can just give you idea what to play to improve but for sure will not tell you how to grip, how to tap etc.
ManuelOsuPlayer
I use 200€ laptop what had windows vista, 7€ mouse, 5€ laptop keyboard,4€ headset and a really old osu! version. I feel hardware or software isn't limiting me to improve. Ofc if i get a 3000€ setup my performance will increase in no time, but that's not the most important thing.
I see it like play piano. Dosn't matter if the piano is worth 300€ or 30.000€, you need to be really good at it to make it sound good.
If you want be good at piano it's stupid to spend money at a new piano unless they keys are stucked or whatever.
Fxjlk

deemoplayer47 wrote:

3. Friction

Disagree with this variable, in a zero friction environment more force is required to stabilize or slow your cursor. This makes it harder to snap which is also why mouse players typically have less issues snapping to notes since mouse has more friction than tablet.
Nattsun

deemoplayer47 wrote:

1. Yourself
+1

deemoplayer47 wrote:

2. Equipment
That's not true mate. Axarious has proven that you can become a VERY relevant top50 player with very bad equipment. He was/is one of the fastest improving players the game has witnessed. Let that sink in.

deemoplayer47 wrote:

3. Friction
Azerite (and me) taped the mouse cable behind the monitor. I assume you can afford tape and own a monitor :p
High DPI is also more counterproductive than you may think. You sacrifice consistency and precision in a game where everything that matters is clicking ALL circles. In fact, most good mouse players use low DPI, usually resolution>DPI.

deemoplayer47 wrote:

How can someone play osu! professionally? It's a circle clicking game where you can get a few hundred bucks when you win the OWC.
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47
*sigh* You guys really make me doubt myself...

Fine.. I'll try.
Wishes

Rayne wrote:

Wishes wrote:

only starts to apply once you reach 6-7 star maps and the speed, stamina and aim required really starts to push your physical limits.
If we're talking about human limits: Just no. Take a good look at the 6-7* maps out there and you'll see they aren't even close to reaching that point. They appear so fast and inhuman when you play them because it is related to your reading and makes those maps feel way faster than they actually are.

ILY is already a 7,4* and that map is perfectly doable for everyone who put enough time into the game, and there are more than enough nomod players who actually have to farm 6-7*. It's not that these people are gifted or some magical bs, they just spent more time than you and have better reading. I don't think human limit starts even at like 10* maps, unless its some 340BPM stream or smthn.
Aim and the speed of it shouldn't be a problem at all since lower areas can easily counteract it.

99% of the time the reading of players is just too bad, and not actually their equipment, speed or whatever.

No, I'm not talking about so called "human limits" that any arbitrarily good player will run up against, I'm talking about the physical limits of the average player as he/she is improving through this stage. And this is based on my personal experience of what I am finding taxing on my stamina and speed. I can read most of these maps, but sometimes I just can't move my fingers fast enough. That's a physical limit, obviously one that will be improved upon with time, but you get what I mean.
Xayah_DELETED

Rayne wrote:

ILY is already a 7,4* and that map is perfectly doable for everyone who put enough time into the game, and there are more than enough nomod players who actually have to farm 6-7*. It's not that these people are gifted or some magical bs, they just spent more time than you and have better reading.
I couldn't agree more. That is exactly how you described a player like me. I do have to admit though, I've gotten my first ever mechanical keyboard a week ago and my performance dramatically increased, as my old one had a habit of ignoring/eating inputs. However, that Aspect never held me back THAT much. I spent quite a bit of time learning some EZ and play reading heavy maps as well as some HR only for high AR/OD practice.

However I am more than comfortable saying that this keyboard will make it alot easier for me to learn streaming which is my next goal.
ManuelOsuPlayer

-Xayah wrote:

Rayne wrote:

ILY is already a 7,4* and that map is perfectly doable for everyone who put enough time into the game, and there are more than enough nomod players who actually have to farm 6-7*. It's not that these people are gifted or some magical bs, they just spent more time than you and have better reading.
I couldn't agree more. That is exactly how you described a player like me. I do have to admit though, I've gotten my first ever mechanical keyboard a week ago and my performance dramatically increased, as my old one had a habit of ignoring/eating inputs. However, that Aspect never held me back THAT much. I spent quite a bit of time learning some EZ and play reading heavy maps as well as some HR only for high AR/OD practice.

However I am more than comfortable saying that this keyboard will make it alot easier for me to learn streaming which is my next goal.
At your skill level learn to stream is as simple as put Hidden and play stream maps letting aim hand dead while reading/tapping each circle 1by1 ignoring music and hitsounds, focus on click each circle as they had AR circles a.k.a. circles timming.
Xayah_DELETED
First off, I'm overranked as fuck, you can't determine my skill level by looking at my filthy top plays and amount of PP. I do appreciate your input, thank you, but I've always learned the most effective by just spamming stream maps like Save Me, Uta and if I feel frisky Ascension to Heaven or any Dragonforce maps. I have a clear goal and know how to achieve it, my point earlier was to make clear that it's getting alot easier to reach it with my new keyboard.