forum

How do you get better at Osu! besides just "Playing more"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
amiel1124
I definently believe that playing more improves your skill, I know from first hand experience. However, over the past 2 weeks or so I've been platuing at around 3.5 to 4 star maps. I've tried different skins that say they help but I just do better with the default skin. Is there any skin or specific latency that helps you improve? I'm on a mouse btw.

EDIT: so just checked and turns out I never actually completed a 4 star map. still capping at 3.5 and slightly above though.
DeletedUser_6869432
I'm calling bullshit unless your an offline player, your top play is a 2.5 star map that you got a C on with terrible acc, there is no fucking way you are doing 4 star maps.

Second, with 12 hours of playtime playing more will benefit you more than anything else will.

Switch to a clean skin like shige HDHR or anything else than the default skin, you will have to get used to it. Play a wide variety of maps. Don't retry maps more an once or twice. Don't farm maps for PP. don't play anything by Sotarks or Monstarta. That's all there is I think.
Topic Starter
amiel1124

kacper124 wrote:

I'm calling bullshit unless your an offline player, your top play is a 2.5 star map that you got a C on with terrible acc, there is no fucking way you are doing 4 star maps.

Second, with 12 hours of playtime playing more will benefit you more than anything else will.

Switch to a clean skin like shige HDHR or anything else than the default skin, you will have to get used to it. Play a wide variety of maps. Don't retry maps more an once or twice. Don't farm maps for PP. don't play anything by Sotarks or Monstarta. That's all there is I think.

ok thanks for the advice. Also, I never said what grades I was getting on said maps, so there is no "Bullshit" to be called.
buny
get good
Buster
play more

hope this will trigger you
Ninonuko
Don't avoid farm map for whatever reason, play everything, those farm maps included.
pp farming itself is a skill, it basically says you have a good aim.
Guess what kind of players said "don't play farm map" or anything like that? insecure low ranked pp farmer.
SnixWasTaken
Play more and be patient, let time do it's job.
If you ignore that advice, don't expect to make any progress :-)
Realmas
Play a bit of everything, try to not retry too much, and you can farm from time to time, just don't do as your primary occupation on the game if you want to improve, and you'll be fine. You only have 13 hours of playtime, so at this point, you don't need specific advices to get better.

EDIT :

kacper124 wrote:

don't play anything by Sotarks or Monstarta
And don't do that. Monstrata is a great mapper, and if you're interested in mapping, you should definitely check some of his maps and especially the ones on his userpage, he's done some really awesome and creative maps, and is the creator of some masterpieces. And anyway if you enjoy them, play them.
For Sotarks tho, you can play his maps but there's nothing interesting or especially creative in his maps.
Akanagi

Realmas wrote:

Play a bit of everything, try to not retry too much, and you can farm from time to time, just don't do as your primary occupation on the game if you want to improve, and you'll be fine. You only have 13 hours of playtime, so at this point, you don't need specific advices to get better.

EDIT :

kacper124 wrote:

And don't do that. Monstrata is a great mapper, and if you're interested in mapping, you should definitely check some of his maps and especially the ones on his userpage, he's done some really awesome and creative maps, and is the creator of some masterpieces. And anyway if you enjoy them, play them.
For Sotarks tho, you can play his maps but there's nothing interesting or especially creative in his maps.

Sometimes less is more. Sotarks maps don't stand out for anything other than being clean and giving a lot of pp.
The good thing about him is that he doesn't put random SV changes or slider "art" in there that ruins your combo because of overshoothing or missing a scorepoint.

Also, no boring long sliders that serve no other purpose than stretching the drain time to 5 minutes so mappers get away with mapping only 1 diff. (Hello 90% of Camellia maps)

Sotarks maps are fine. The entire hate about his maps is just one big stupid reddit circlejerk. Even if he was gone, then we're back to farming Slayed, Lust, Monstrata, Bearizm, Kibbleru etc etc. maps.

@TE
Just play a large variety of maps. The biggest denominator you see with the most consistent and well rounded top players is that they all played like 3-5k hours and have a large playcount with a decent ranked score. (Toy, WWW, Cookiezi, Rohulk etc)

So go ahead and do just that.
Don't neglect "farm maps" though. Just play everything, meaning old maps, farm maps, tech maps yadayada
Actively avoiding farmy / jump maps is just as silly as dedicating your entire time farming jump maps. They're part of the game, they have their own mapping style and patterns, and it's important to learn those, too.
DeletedUser_6869432

Rayne wrote:

EDIT :

kacper124 wrote:

Sotarks maps are fine. The entire hate about his maps is just one big stupid reddit circlejerk.

They are all the same. There is no other pp mapper out there that can speed rank clones of the same map every other day. And even pp mappers try to make some effort of disctinciton, but sotarks is content with doing the bare minimum. I agree that you should play a wide variety of maps, but there's no point in playing random anime ops that aren't even mapped to the music.
Flying Deer
Tap with the keyboard instead of mouse buttons.
Dim your background 100%.
Disable the storyboard.
Get used to alternating between two buttons as soon as possible.
Get a clean skin that shows some transparency and/or just doesn't distract too much.
Pay attention to the approach circles because they help a lot, but don't focus on them too hard either, they are a tool.
Try to find the rhythm of the map, and let it guide you a little instead of relying too much on your reading ability. I read enough to know if the next circles will be on the beat or if they will be half beats, but I don't read enough to see exactly when I need to click the half beats, because I assume the timing by the music.
And when they say play everything, it includes lower and higher star ratings too.
And play a LOT of different maps because star rating is far from a perfect indicator of difficulty.
But don't waste your time with maps that are so hard that you just flail your mouse and try to catch the circles, that's pointless.

And an advice for later when you will be playing 4* maps, gradually increase your mouse sensitivity. Keep making it slightly too high for comfort and you will get used to it, and then raise it again a little too much for comfort again. I use a basic cheap mouse and my sensitivity is 1.85 and that's enough for the maps that I play. I have increased my sensitivity by jumps of 0.5 or 0.7, at least 5 times, probably more.
It's only important when you start playing maps where there are too many things going on in different areas of the map and need to go be quick, or when a map has long distance jumps.

I'm a survivalist like you, I like to play maps that are hard or too hard for me. Thanks to that, when I play in multiplayer, I usually get ahead during difficult or complex parts, but I usually get behind if the map is too simple because I get stupid misses and they don't. I should practice lower star rating maps more, and you should keep that in mind... But I suggest that you keep pushing yourself the way you are doing, because 4 star maps are really the best place to be. The maps are usually of higher quality, they are more fun, and there are plenty of them.
Akanagi

kacper124 wrote:

They are all the same. There is no other pp mapper out there that can speed rank clones of the same map every other day. And even pp mappers try to make some effort of disctinciton, but sotarks is content with doing the bare minimum. I agree that you should play a wide variety of maps, but there's no point in playing random anime ops that aren't even mapped to the music.
They're all the same, yes. However they're still mapped to the music and rhythm. Mapped + song choice is obviously for max pp, but it still reflects the music.
There's definitely a point to playing random anime ops, which is that they make up like what feels 70% of all maps in the 4-6* range and this pp mapping trend will only continue.

If you actively avoid these, you're missing out on something. And it's not just Sotarks maps. A lot of modern mappers use a style similar to Sotarks' for their maps. Bearizm and Armin for example use the same 1-2 jump patterns and similar angles on their jumps, so if you don't get any practice on these patterns, you'll suck on them.

Anyway, Flying Deer already covered most stuff, even though I don't agree with that sensitivity part. You can do perfectly fine with just one DPI / Tablet Area. Just try to stick with it.
B1rd
>I'm plateauing
>155 PP

KYS.