forum

[Archived] Fix for unsmooth/choppy gameplay on high Hz monitors

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
William_Valdez
Posting this in General since im not sure where else to put something like this

So ive had this problem on and off since I got my 144hz monitor, and it was starting to get more noticeable as I played higher AR songs and got into DT.
By "this problem" i mean having osu! running on Unlimited and still feeling like i had tears, choppiness, and just an overall lack of smoothness to the game.

(I know this can be fixed by simply turning on V-Sync, but without a G-Sync enabled monitor you have a preety noticable amount of input lag introduced, and no one wants that)

I tried looking at other posts from other people with the problem, but the problem never seemed fixed, never had the solution told, or just pointed to the osu!.cfg without giving much explanation, so i figured i make this little how to on how i fixed it for those that might still have the issue or come across it in the future.

First, your going to want to find your osu! folder. Easiest way to do this is to go into 'Option' in osu! and hit the 'Open osu! Folder'

(Would post a pic of it, but you dont need it.....right ?)

Second, find the file osu!.(user).cfg (in my case, its called osu!.Valde.cfg), and make a back up of it just in case anything happens

Third, youre going to want to open it and view it in notepad or your choice of text editor. You can do this one of three ways; M2 + 'Edit', M2 + 'Open With...' and choosing notepad, or choosing the 'Open' option in the file eplorer

Fourth, find 'RefreshRate', 'CustomFrameLimit', and 'OverrideRefreshRate'. Quickest way is Ctrl+F and searching 'refresh'
Set the first two to your monitors refresh rate. Ive OC'd my monitor so mine is at 149, then set 'OverrideRefreshRate' to 1

Then just save and exit and that's it! You're well on your way to becoming an osu! rhythm champion!

But seriously, hopefully this fixes the issue for some of you, and if not then just pray to peppy for a fix or reinstall/quit outright.

If you somehow encounter more issues from this then just delete and replace with the back up from earlier.

I also cant help with any sort of problems anyone might have, since I barely know what im doing myself, so sorry.

Edit: Pics arent showing up for some reason so heres a link to the imgur album https://imgur.com/a/YhEaRae
Anemic Witch
If you have NVIDIA adapter there is an certain option in NVIDIA control panel called "fast sync". It allows GPU to render all frames but prevents screen tearing by not sending all of them to display, thus preventing input lag.