forum

Catch The Coloured Beat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
I'll try to keep the explanation short, since some of my previous posts have been too long for some people. ;) :P This request is an updated/different version of my original request that was posted in the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2886&hilit=+colour

ok, here goes... :)

1) The playfield is divided into 32 sections of equal length, and each of the 32 sections is assigned a fruit. This will be invisible to the player, but visible to Osu.

2) Instead of fruit being generated in sequence as it falls onto the screen (apple, orange, pear, grape... etc), the horizontal position of the object will determine what fruit it becomes (see image above).

3) Instead of catching the fruit with an ordinary plate, the player will hold down a key on the keyboard to change the plate colour so that it matches the colour of the fruit that he/she is trying to catch.

4) If the plate colour doesn't match the fruit colour when catching, then the player misses the fruit.

YoshiKart
I like how the fruits are assigned to a column, but what happens to non-linear sliders?

And I hope changing colors will be based on color combo on the actual beatmap, because it would be awfully hectic to change colors every half a second.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

YoshiKart wrote:

I like how the fruits are assigned to a column, but what happens to non-linear sliders?
Only a sliders start position would determine what fruit it becomes. So it doesn't matter if the slider moves left or right on the screen, it will stay as the same fruit until the slider is completed.
awp
Won't that require excessive button mashing for deathstreams
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

awp wrote:

Yes, most likely. :P

At the moment some of the difficult beatmaps will be near impossible to do with this mod/feature. However, most of us are playing Osu! every day, and are improving our speed and accuracy every day too. So, it's entirely possible that there could be players on here in a few months time, who will be able to complete the most difficult button mashing deathstream beatmaps. ;)

Think .. "FUTURE PROOF!" 8-)
Echo
Could work. I think it'll be pretty interesting.
xerxes_oli
this sounds liek fun! im all for it
Ekaru
Good idea, except for one thing...

...Changing the color of the plate? How are you going to do that?

1. The plate is part of the sprite. No really, it is.

2. Custom skins.

This means you can't just change the plate color, and you can't just program a selected area to change (which would not be the neatest thing ever though).

Yeah... That's the only issue I could find. You would need a different way of letting the player know the color they have selected. Other then that, sounds like fun!
Echo
@ekaru that could easily be solved by just having an overlay for the plate
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
A small icon could be added to the bottom left of the screen to let the player know which fruit he/she is attempting to catch. Most people wouldn't need this icon when playing, however, it would be useful for players who may be colour blind, and can't tell the difference between the plate colours.

Either that, or have 5 different plate designs for each of the following:

1 = White / Neutral (no key held down)
2 = Purple / Grape
3 = Green / Pear
4 = Red / Apple
5 = Orange / Orange (Duh!)
awp
It actually sounds a bit like my proposed method for the Guitar Hero approach
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
We could do this instead, since it would be less confusing than using the fruits and coloured plates. However, this idea really depends on whether keeping the fruit theme for this game mode, is important or not.

1) Replace the falling fruits with blocks with arrows on them.
2) Replace the character holding the plate with a moveable receptor block.
3) The player moves the receptor block to the location of a falling arrow and presses the arrow key on the keyboard when the falling arrow block is in the center of the moveable receptor block.
4) The player gets judged on both timing and placement accuracy.
Chaos Anime X
I think this is a great idea

9 out of 10 on this idea

On a related note: we need custom characters already!
Metroid

adamskii_uk wrote:

awp wrote:

Yes, most likely. :P

At the moment some of the difficult beatmaps will be near impossible to do with this mod/feature. However, most of us are playing Osu! every day, and are improving our speed and accuracy every day too. So, it's entirely possible that there could be players on here in a few months time, who will be able to complete the most difficult button mashing deathstream beatmaps. ;)

Think .. "FUTURE PROOF!" 8-)

Pure evidence is DJ MAX LOOK AT PEOPLE INSANELY SMASHING BUTTONS ON THOSE SONGS!!!
(O2 max also has massive button smashing)
Ekaru

Echo wrote:

@ekaru that could easily be solved by just having an overlay for the plate
Except you can skin a character without a plate (although you should have something in place of the plate, it doesn't necessarily have to be a plate). =P And characters have different dimensions, to make it funner. So if someone skinned a character without a plate or plate overlay, oops!

...Yeah, the fact that fruit mode is skinnable (which I like, I like having Johnny catch ladies!) is what makes this difficult. And the icon idea would be inconvenient and make it difficult. And the 'different plate designs' would be a bitch to skin, among other things.

And the block idea doesn't sound fun. It wounds like a harder version of Stepmania with the keyboard, and when you consider that this game generally has less notes coming at you then Stepmania keyboard songs, it's... eh. Heck, other games like that have been made. What makes Catch the Beat so fun is that you're catching beats to the music.

...I'm just overthinking this, aren't I? =P
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
But they won't skin fruit mode and not skin the plate-overlay, because the skin will not be complete. So they HAVE to skin it.
dumpsterdiver
What you are suggesting is Ikaruga, only with 4 colors instead of two, and instead of simply dodging the bullets that aren't your color, you're forced to change colors to catch it.

Last time I checked, Ikaruga was hard enough.