forum

What is overreading/overstreaming and whack a mole?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KevinL337
I decided to google some stuff because I'm absolutely horrid at the game and came across the terms overrading/overstreaming and whack a mole. There were probably some more that I didn't know but these are the only ones I can rememebr off the top of my head. But I can't find out what they actually mean so I can't tell if I'm doing any of these.
- Zuramaru -
I don't know what overreading is, but misreading is when you think the pattern of circles is one pattern when in fact it is another. For example, you think there's two circles stacked on top of each other when it's actually 3, so you end up missing a note. Overstreaming and understreaming happen when you stream faster than what is required at that bpm and understreaming is the opposite. Overstreaming and understreaming cause you to get 100s or in extreme cases 50s or misses. If you're new, you won't have to worry about streams for awhile. Whack a mole is a term used for when players are unfamiliar with either high AR (approach rate) or high BPM so they just click without any timing and hope they hit the note in time. It's like when you play whack a mole and you try to hit the moles in time while they come up at high speeds giving you little time to react. All these problems can be solved with a lot of playing and practice.
Wishes
I think overreading is referring to when you read too far ahead to circles that just appeared and miss what you should be hitting right at that moment.
DXPOHIHIHI

Wishes wrote:

I think overreading is referring to when you read too far ahead to circles that just appeared and miss what you should be hitting right at that moment.

Yeah, means that your a bit far ahead
LostLunar
overreading=read too far that you aren't actually concentrating on hitting the ones that you're meant to hit at the moment

overstreaming=streaming faster than the bpm you are required to. Often results in a row of 100, 50s or even a miss.

whack a mole= when a map's ar is too high that you can't actually catch up to the beat so you just swing your cursor around and mash z & x, in the hopes of hitting a note.
VinZentVanDough

LostLunar wrote:

Whack a mole= when a map's ar is too high that you can't actually catch up to the beat so you just swing your cursor around and mash z & x, in the hopes of hitting a note.

New mod. AR 12 Randomized circle soon? (similar to mania random mod)
- e - v - b-

LostLunar wrote:

overreading=read too far that you aren't actually concentrating on hitting the ones that you're meant to hit at the moment

overstreaming=streaming faster than the bpm you are required to. Often results in a row of 100, 50s or even a miss.

whack a mole= when a map's ar is too high that you can't actually catch up to the beat so you just swing your cursor around and mash z & x, in the hopes of hitting a note.

to add to this, whack-a-mole can also be when you are only good at jumps and have horrible accuracy but great aim