forum

quitting osu for one year

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_SkyFall
Perhaps from July I'll have to quit Osu! for about one year. How do you think it will affect my skills? I mean, I quit osu twice, the first time for one month and the second time for about 20 days and of course after returning to Osu! my skills decreased but in about three days I was able to regain my skills and even play better than how I did before quitting (you can actually see it in my profile lol). But of course one year is far longer than 20-30 days so how much time do you think I'll need to regain my skills? Have you ever quit osu for such a long time?
HeyImNik
20 days is not much at all, 3 days is a reasonable amount of time to recover the skill.
1 year of no osu? will take you a couple of weeks to get back into track, but you will definitely have hard time getting back to the highest level you reached to (when you were at your best) and improve from there.
Topic Starter
_SkyFall
Well, thank you for your answer ^^
Bobbias
I'm going to contradict xnix here. 20 days for me is a pretty substantial amount of time to be away from the game. For me, it can sometimes take 2 weeks to a month to recover from something like that. Now, I'm an extreme case, and most people will take less time than me, but I'm giving you an example of how this kind of thing varies from player to player.

I took a year off of 7k, playing only 4k for that year. It took me several months to get back to around my previous skill level in 7k, and I was still playing mania through that whole time (just not playing 7k). Taking a year off of playing entirely can make you VERY rusty.

The only good thing is that once you get back to your old skill level, you might just keep on improving and blow right past it, but that's not guaranteed either.
Topic Starter
_SkyFall
Thank you. It's nice to have different opinions and points of view. Hopefully I won't have such a hard time like you had and hopefully I'll recover soon lol
HeyImNik
It depends on the person.
Like Bobbias said in the end of the first paragraph, it varies from one person to another.
To some people it will take a lot of time, and to some it will take little to no time to "clean the rust off" the skill they used to have.
Bobbias
I consider myself an extreme example of a worst case scenario, to be honest. My point was mostly to illustrate how different it can be for people. Most people learn much faster than I do, but it can be helpful to see an example of just how different it can be for some people.

It's taken me many years to get as good as I am, but I've seen people who spent less than a year on mania with no previous experience blow right past me in skill. The thing is, even if you ARE someone like me who learns slowly, it's still possible to get pretty good at the game with enough time and dedication.

Returning from a break can be really depressing and hard to accept, if you've gotten really rusty, but if you keep playing, you should be able to shake off the rust quicker than you expect based on your first few sessions.
Sorc
Been gone from OSU! Mania for 3 years almost and I can feel that it’s not easy to read as it was before, I just returned back to OSU! But it’s still hard to be able to read the notes.

After I got back to it I was able to play better than I did before, and I did another 1 week break after that and now I’m back to have a hard time reading the notes again..

But I would say start by the FC map that you can and move to faster/harder maps after that, it will take some time I can feel that myself but the sky is the limit of your skills, not the ranks.
-Andrei-

Lord Ainz wrote:

Been gone from OSU! Mania for 3 years almost and I can feel that it’s not easy to read as it was before, I just returned back to OSU! But it’s still hard to be able to read the notes.

After I got back to it I was able to play better than I did before, and I did another 1 week break after that and now I’m back to have a hard time reading the notes again..

But I would say start by the FC map that you can and move to faster/harder maps after that, it will take some time I can feel that myself but the sky is the limit of your skills, not the ranks.
uhhhh this is from 4 years ago
Haengsyo
damn necroposters