forum

[osu!std] 04/22/18 Memme - Avalanche by byfar Vote/Discussion

posted
Total Posts

Should Memme - Avalanche by byfar be Loved?

Yes
95.83%
No
4.17%
Total votes: 240
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Toy
Memme - Avalanche by byfar
Captain's Description (by Kaifin):
In one word, I’d describe Avalanche as gigantic. The set sports 16 difficulties, 8 of which are extras, all mapped by various notable mappers who each bring their own twist to this instantly iconic classical remix from Pump it up Prime. Basically every diff is a hit here, especially rrtyui’s (as should be expected at this point). With over 250 favourites, this is honestly the definitive mapset of Avalanche, and if you haven’t checked it out then you’re really missing out!

Please use the space below to discuss why you believe this map should (or should not!) enter the Loved Category.
The poll will run for 7 days. Revoting will be enabled for the sole purpose of changing your answer in the case that the discussion sways your vote otherwise after submission.

Link to this week's main thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/735996
Kynan
And another one
Fujiyama Panic
Looks like 95% of the votes are for any kind of map that is being released anyway.

Anybody care to tell me why there is a loved section to begin with? I mean the voting option? Did any map ever actually fail to be granted the loved status or is this just a free pass to getting a score board?
Feels like featuring a map equals passing the map.

Kinda boring and hmmm... well yeah, just what's point?
huu

Fujiyama Panic wrote:

Looks like 95% of the votes are for any kind of map that is being released anyway.

Anybody care to tell me why there is a loved section to begin with? I mean the voting option? Did any map ever actually fail to be granted the loved status or is this just a free pass to getting a score board?

The point is to give deserving maps a leaderboard that the community deems "worthy". It's why we have voting opposed to the old Star Priority system that was in place. If the community truly doesn't want a map Loved, they will simply vote "No". There were multiple cases of this happening in past Captain's Pick votings & you can check that on the spreadsheet (said maps are blacked out with the note of "Denied.")

Yeah, it may seem like a free pass towards giving a map leaderboards, but it's the community itself that chooses to do so. If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine, but if the community itself wants it - then who are you to judge?

Or would you honestly rather have said Captains automatically put maps into the category without any community voting? That would be very counter-intuitive if that were the case!
Topic Starter
Toy

Fujiyama Panic wrote:

Because a ton of people support this mapset and very much want to see it with a leaderboard. There have been maps that have failed to be given Loved status. It may seem like everything gets a free pass because Loved is still in its early stages and there's a plethora of fantastic maps that are all deserving of Loved status in the community's eyes.

So the point is to celebrate maps that receive mass support from the community, and I'm happy you're sharing your opinion on the map, but it seems to be outweighed by the larger portion of the community. I understand not liking a map, but it seems strange to criticize the system behind it for letting it pass.