forum

What Makes a Good Anime?

posted
Total Posts
show more
MickX
Hmm, it's a tough cookie.

Theoretically an anime that appeals to a wide audience is in my view a seemingly good one. Personally it grabs my attention so as long as the story remains consistent to it's initial point, the characters are meaningful and well developed and the pacing is fitting. Original plots and settings spread among unequally structured episodes tend to suck me in very easily.

For example, I love animes like Clannad and Angel Beats since their setting, characters and story were all unique and touching, leaving always a desire to watch the next episode every time it ended. Then there's Star Driver, which was a mix of cool and fun with "WTF what how?" (How did the main character obtain that giant mecha anyway?) and clichéd (the battles seemed too, I don't know... easy for the hero? Too quick? Too many 'last minute life-savers'?).

Generally, if the anime leaves me thinking (or even dreaming!) beyond what was given by the authors, it did a good job! If otherwise it interrupts itself too much with this or that weird detail, the flow gets off, leaving the person watching a bit more annoyed than amused, I guess. ^^;
Bakario
pokemons
Dafydd

Bakario wrote:

pokemons
ditto
Princess God
insprition and passion
Vish024
Matter of opinion. For me, as long as it's hilarious and not trying too hard to be funny I like it.

Slice of life is something I always enjoy.
Shohei Ohtani
Characters like Mio-sama >w<~.
-Athena-
characters like Athena or Taiga sama :3
lol romance is sort of a must for me, doesn't matter how small the amount as long as it's there
comedy as well
K a Y e
Hmmm.... The plot should be interesting! But, mostly, it all depends on the interest of the watchers :P
silmarilen

mathexpert9981 wrote:

In my opinion, a good anime is one that gets you thinking even after the credits of the last episode roll. Or even better, after each episode. For example, a select few animes like Clannad, Madoka, and School Days got me thinking for the rest of the day about what happened and I even analyzed the charachters, plot elements, conflicts, etc. in my head. In Clannad's case, I actually longed for more episodes (even though the story was escentally over) so much that I entered emo mode for about a week xD aka dark times in my life xD

Dramatic elements in the plot will always be #1 in an anime. An anime like K-ON! is fine for entertainment, but only dramas can really give me the effect of "this is why I watch anime". Also, fanservice can make or break an anime; It can add to the "enjoyment factor" as long as it isn't present every fucking five seconds and comedy is nice because it just adds some lightheartness admist all the drama. For me, animation quality is extremely inportant (for better or worse) because an anime with bad art is just hard to watch. This can be bad though, because I rarely watch pre-2005 animes due to difference in animation quality. OP and ED can really contribute how the anime affects me in the long term, a memmerable OP will remind me of how good/bad the actual show was but is just a nice addition.
Also:
Seinen > Shoujo > Shounen.

TL;DR:
Has to be memorable, have a good (dramatic) plot, a little fanservice, comedy, decent animation.
couldnt have said it better
thelewa
I would love an anime about a bunch of pseudohikikomori talking in Tinychat (or an alternative thing) at nights and playing games, also they would never depict the characters during the day, all of the story would take place at night when they're talking to each other and playing games, the series would have preferably more than a couple hundred episodes and the plot would deal with important things in their lives, like paying the bills and how the sales clerk touched their hand when they were paying for their groceries.

no romance like in Welcome to the NHK, shit like that isn't realistic and in the last episode the characters would've aged by a couple of years and they would just state that "Damn, life sure is depressing." and the series would end, leaving many fans waiting for OVA's and sidestories.
silmarilen
i dont really know what makes an anime interesting for me, but sometimes i just have the feeling like "i want to keep watching this anime forever"
MMzz
loli
Valentiino

ragelewa wrote:

I would love an anime about a bunch of pseudohikikomori talking in Tinychat (or an alternative thing) at nights and playing games, also they would never depict the characters during the day, all of the story would take place at night when they're talking to each other and playing games, the series would have preferably more than a couple hundred episodes and the plot would deal with important things in their lives, like paying the bills and how the sales clerk touched their hand when they were paying for their groceries.

no romance like in Welcome to the NHK, shit like that isn't realistic and in the last episode the characters would've aged by a couple of years and they would just state that "Damn, life sure is depressing." and the series would end, leaving many fans waiting for OVA's and sidestories.
Well, shit. You just described the best anime. Ever.
vizzy
Great characters, character development, pacing, plot and music.
Topic Starter
mathexpert
what makes a good anime -
SPOILER

(via commie subs)
Unblessed_old
ONE WORD! Zombies and big boobs!!
Cara_Legal_old
a little of anything
California
something that doesn't have too much fanservice
YodaSnipe

-hys wrote:

something that doesn't have too much fanservice
No. Just no.

In my opinion I'd say:

Intriguing plot - This does not mean it has to be deep, but something that keeps the watcher interested.
Great characters - I'm not watching an anime regardless of how great the plot is without great characters to support.
Memorable music - I think the best example of this for me personally would be K-ON!, Angel Beats, and Guilty Crown.
Romance, Action, Comedy - I would argue that the best of the best anime have at least a little of each of these three elements.
-> Romance and Comedy, Action and Comedy, Action and Romance are often found together, and that is *good* but having all three I think makes it better. Again simply my opinion

Things that DO NOT affect how *good* an anime is:

Fan service - I love fan service, but if it's gone I'll live, if it's everywhere I'm happy.
Art style - I personally have difficulty watching many anime due to the art style, however, that does not indicate the anime to be *bad*.

Well there's my opinion take it as you will ^^

Edit: I forgot to mention that Mio makes everything better, she should be in every anime <3 my waifu is so awesome
SereneMidnight
Interesting and very deep plot: I cannot stress this enough.
A fantastic music track.
A small hint of fanservice is good depending on the setting of the anime.
A great anime should avoid cliches AT ALL COSTS.
Deep and interesting characters.
Unless you're going into further seasons, anime should have all loose ends and questions tied up.
emonite
The ones that compel me to watch all the way without stopping.A straight :arrow: all the way.
Marifune-kun
cute girls and nice story also good drawings
yojiexo
The History and the music, The other whatever e.e
Mogsy
A well-constructed plot, well-written/developed characters, and appealing presentation. Of course, an anime can still be enjoyable while still being shallow, having stereotypical characters, or unappealing voice acting/art/animation/music, but really, most great anime tend to have a combination of all of these.

I also personally prefer a story with truly relatable characters and genuine emotion instead of something calculated for emotional impact. Passion from the creators is also appreciated (since nobody likes or should like a half-assed cashgrab). An anime that makes me think is more likely than not to be something I appreciate more and appreciate discussing more.
Defacer
­
adam2046

Defacer wrote:

after decoding this piece of messed text above, recommend me some animes I may not have watched.
Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or watch the OVAs.
nirvashzero
cool action scene
Xylem Beer
Tsunderes.
10nya
good story, good plot , good character designs , good seiyuus , good fanservice_____
Magicphoenix
The feeling of being stunned after watching a season and you don't forget it for weeks 'cause it was epic. Like Guilty Crown which i just finished a week ago and i still have a heavy feeling in my stomach, like you lost a dear friend or sth :D
Oreiora
^Guilty Crown was a great but it had ALOT more potential. The art from GC was awesome (Gj Redjuice) and the soundtrack was amazing as well (Ryo + Egoist). Anyways, when judging anime I generally think of the following criteria in order of most important to least important:

Artwork
Character Design
Character Development
Soundtrack
Storyline
Capricore
Unexpected plot twists.
Artwork.
Plot development.
Well developed character persona's ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ
loqueses57
a good story! like steins gate =D
eIohim

Oreiora wrote:

^Guilty Crown was a great but it had ALOT more potential. The art from GC was awesome (Gj Redjuice) and the soundtrack was amazing as well (Ryo + Egoist)
100% agreed. To me it had some major plot holes though, specially in the three last episodes.
In the end I'm sure all I'll remember from it will be:

1 - Animation, just top notch.
2 - Bios (Specially MK+nZk Version, at episode 19)

A good anime is made by the combination of the both listed above (animation, music) and, I won't say an awesome plot, it just needs any plot. Although I notice most are just happy with anime having fan service, and their favorite seiyū regardless if the plot makes any sense. But that's just a matter of tastes, I guess.
Mizou-kun
Story and lolis \o/
kitkattt_old
Captivating characters and relationships(not necessarily romantic), a consistent and well written-plot, an atmospheric and fitting soundtrack, interesting art style and no or minimum amounts of fan service.

Add some cute traps and it's perfect. 8D
antibiotik
Art and story.
- Rikkukun -
Adrenalin!
Omnatus
ecchi Ahem, For me its how solid the story and characters are and how its drawn strangely enough, anything which is out of the ordinary scores bonus points too, but usually the characters are that way.
Toki Hakurei
A protagonist that's...not wimpy and/or has ADHD.
show more