forum

Beginner Roadblocks

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Owlteeth
I have noticed that I am hitting a block in terms of my progression. Let me start off by saying that osu is the first rythm game i have played in years, and i only have like a week of practice.

Alright, on to the important part. When i first started, i would fail maps at or below 1* pretty routinely. But after my first day i was pretty consistently hitting a C grade on 1* maps. After day 2 i could routinely hit S or SS ranks on 1* maps and i could get an A through about 2.3* maps. Now I am stuck getting C ranks or failing on 3.2* or above, and it feels like i am not making any progress at all. I can do sliders pretty well and hold my combos on some faster maps, but it feels like a coin toss as to wether or not i even pass. I have noticed that i fail any time there is a double or triple tap on really any speed.

I use a mouse, but i did know to bind click to my keyboard and only use mouse for aiming. I dont know if i am using the wrong technique but i always end up dropping my combos and panicking when i see a double or triple tap come up. Usually this leads to me mashing my keyboard and failing the map. Does anyone have tips on what technique to use or maps to practice? Is this just me trying to move too fast through the difficulties? I dont really know what to do to fix this yet. I dont want to just keep practicing the wrong technique either, so I am hesitant to even practice these until i know what i am doing wrong.
Sandy Hoey
You’ve only played for 10 hours. THats nothing, and considering that your progress has been good. If you feel a map is too fast or overwhelming. Move to a slower map, then come back to it later. But most importantly for new players, get a lot of maps and play them all
DeletedUser_6869432
Star rating difficulty is exponential not linear. 10 star maps aren't 2 times as hard as 5 star maps, I would say 4 or 5 times.

Play more.
MBmasher

kacper124 wrote:

Star rating difficulty is exponential not linear. 10 star maps aren't 2 times as hard as 5 star maps, I would say 4 or 5 times.

Play more.
4 or 5 times is a massive massive understatement
VinZentVanDough

MBmasher wrote:

kacper124 wrote:

Play more.

4 or 5 times is a massive massive understatement

Dadadada Which is 10 stars is about 15-20 harder (or even harder) than Pretender or Cycle hit. I guess?
ManuelOsuPlayer
8* is already 10 times hardest than 7*.
Pass from A nomod to D nomod or C Halftime xD.
RedONI
Spend a little more time in the 2* range while you learn the mechanics better. When you can FC higher 2* songs, you can make the jump to Hard.

Also, make sure you're playing and downloading at least 1 or 2 new beatmaps. The more variety in maps you have, the more you can develop skills independent of a specific map.

Good luck, btw! Welcome to Osu.
kai99
omfg i am fucking at a ROADBLOCK hHELP
Kondou-Shinichi
theres no roadblock if you dont think there is one