forum

Why "play more" is the definitive answer to improving osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kondou-Shinichi
That's because osu is a skill-based game, and like 99% of other skill-based things in thr world, you have to train more of it to be better at it.

You could aruge you need a good tool to improve, but in my opinion, not having enough skill to fully ultilize the potential of a tool is just a waste of time (tool in osu as in keyboard mouse tablet and stuff related to that)

If playing more doesn't work for you, either you just didn't put the effort into it (like every other things in the world, if you don't put the effort you're just wasting your own time), or you have played too much and you've burnt out of it (taking a break would be the best soultuon), or, rarely, you have a muscle related sickness (in which it's very unfortunate)

Playing more is a long progress, and not a shortcut to heaven. Don't open a thread just asking why playing 100 hours doesn't suffice enough to improve much (100 hours is just an example, not the line)

These are just my own opinion, feel free to correct me if I made a mistake.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play more is the most stupid thing, brainless players answer due to don't understand nothing, or just the opposite, to much to explain and hard to do it to a less skilled player, so they say it, but isn't true. Players who played more than anyone else, are not the best.

If you are playing only 27* maps or only 1* every day, and you ask how to improve at forums, they are going to watch your profile, see your rank and play time and tell you to "keep trying" a.k.a play more. When you're wasting your time.

Play more isn't usefull if you don't play right things.
Play more isn't usefull If you already play a lot.
Play more isn't usefull If you repeat same map using muscle memory.
Play more isn't usefull If you play tons of maps without pay attention to nothing.
Play more isn't usefull if you don't put effort into it.
Play more don't tell you where are you worst and what you should improve.

Let the meme die, it's the most non sense answer.
Get a work and buy better hardware it's a better advice.
Slowly improve from easy to hard maps it's a better advice.
Go sleep and stop caring so much about the game, stress is not going to help you at all. Good advice.
Do more sports. Good advice.

Play more? '--
- e - v - b-

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play more is the most stupid thing, brainless players answer due to don't understand nothing, or just the opposite, to much to explain and hard to do it to a less skilled player, so they say it, but isn't true. Players who played more than anyone else, are not the best.

If you are playing only 27* maps or only 1* every day, and you ask how to improve at forums, they are going to watch your profile, see your rank and play time and tell you to "keep trying" a.k.a play more. When you're wasting your time.

Play more isn't usefull If you play tons of maps without pay attention to nothing.

Go sleep and stop caring so much about the game, stress is not going to help you at all. Good advice.

Play more? '--

Except playing more is literally how to improve.
There is a very very important thing that almost all top players have in common and that is that they have played a metric shit ton. Some didn’t even try to improve but did anyway simply because they play so much.
Speaking from experience, I just aimlessly played random ass aim intensive maps for like a year and guess what?
Now I can almost fc 7-7.5*+ aim maps, isn’t it neat what playing more does?

edit:formatting
ManuelOsuPlayer
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/playerranking/?m=0&s=1&r=&q=&f=
Here you can find players worst than you at 99% of maps, what have played 5 times more than you.
You just say it. It's effort what matters, not number of keys pressed, times played, number of songs...

Would you recommend to a player who played 5 times more than you, to play more, or to tryhard more?
MBmasher

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Here you can find players worst than you at 99% of maps, what have played 5 times more than you.
You just say it. It's effort what matters, not number of keys pressed, times played, number of songs...

Would you recommend to a player who played 5 times more than you, to play more, or to tryhard more?
Just because you and other people are an exception, doesn't mean that it's a bad tip

For 99% of the playerbase, they all played for fun or for pp or for whatever and they IMPROVED, me included.

If you don't have fun and play the game then you won't improve, simple as that.
- e - v - b-

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Most of the time when someone is told to just "play more", the person being told to play more has very little playcount/is very new to the game.
At that level of play, simply playing more is all that they need to do.
Just as MBmasher said, there are obviously exceptions in which case sure, give them different advice I guess.

As an aside, most of the people in the top ~100 of the score leaderboards are actually really good/consistent players.
ManuelOsuPlayer

MBmasher wrote:

Just because you and other people are an exception, doesn't mean that it's a bad tip

For 99% of the playerbase, they all played for fun or for pp or for whatever and they IMPROVED, me included.

If you don't have fun and play the game then you won't improve, simple as that.
Why am i an exception? I wasn't talking about me.

- e - v - b- wrote:

As an aside, most of the people in the top ~100 of the score leaderboards are actually really good/consistent players.
Ofc they are amazing players. But not the ones who played the most are the best of them. And i'm not talking about PP farming. I talk about skill. People say play more to people what have +1k H playing and can't beat 5* maps xD.
VirtualMuffin
By saying play more you could be telling them anything.

Play 1.5 stars for 10k plays.

DT 6 stars when you've just started.

Play fl on everything.

!r to tillerino. getting the maps people are more easily achieving thus having a very limited skillset.

Play more makes no sense.

It's like a teacher telling a Kid 'revise more' when they have a question about their work.
KupcaH

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

no u

No one's saying that if you played more than some particular player you'll be better than him.
It's just common sense. You play the damn game => you improve. That doesn't mean that you should "play more 1-2* maps". But c'mon, people are dumb if they don't understand that they need to push their limits and play maps above their comfort zone to improve.

If you aim for improvement => you play stuff out of your comfort zone (not 8* maps) => playing more => you improve.
Endie-
You'll improve as long as you play a shit ton and push yourself while doing that. Those who play for score don't do that, which is why they don't get any better
loveleft
i disagree. improvement entails playing more but playing more doesn't entail improvement on its own. and playing more is not definitive at all because it's too general, it's a starting point from which everything else is derived, not an end goal.

there's never a definitive answer when it comes to improving at a multifaceted skill like playing osu because it's too complex and circumstantial to be reduced. 'play more' works as a general guide, and that's all it is. it's the bare minimum, there's nothing conclusive, definitive, or insightful about it. it's not wrong, but it's comparatively poor advice. and it obviously doesn't explain differences in skill between players with equal play time.
Flying Deer

KupcaH wrote:

But c'mon, people are dumb if they don't understand that they need to push their limits and play maps above their comfort zone to improve.
...And yet, "play more" typically comes bundled with the typical sermon of "Go back to playing 2 stars, you have much to learn there." and survivalists are seen in a bad light because "If you can't pass 3.5 stars with 95% accuracy, you're not ready for 4 stars."

I notice a trend among the regulars who grant their advice to the common folk, where they seem to think that Osu is a mystical, esoteric way of life, a path that few can take without dedicating months of meditation, while playing more, to gain the wisdom needed to understand on a deeper level and achieve progress. "It's far too early for you to use a custom skin, stick to the default. It may be awful, but it's a wonderful learning experience to a simple peasant such as yourself."

My personal wish is that, besides "play more", people would get a habit of suggesting variables that can help. Dimmed background, dual tap, skin, hitsounds off, higher mouse sensitivity, remapping buttons, retries, mods, hand position, to name those that come to my mind. I wish a stickied post would name them all and explain why they deserve consideration even if some of them might not apply to the reader. I'd do it myself, but I don't have enough prestige.
RedONI

Flying Deer wrote:

My personal wish is that, besides "play more", people would get a habit of suggesting variables that can help. Dimmed background, dual tap, skin, hitsounds off, higher mouse sensitivity, remapping buttons, retries, mods, hand position, to name those that come to my mind. I wish a stickied post would name them all and explain why they deserve consideration even if some of them might not apply to the reader. I'd do it myself, but I don't have enough prestige.

Don't at least one of the stickied threads at the top suggest things like that?
Flanster
Flying Deer
I don't think so... If they do, it's too well hidden for me.
t/187364
t/99612

In the second one I see a small part advocating for hitsounds, but no mention to why one would wish to play without them, which would be more helpful since nearly everyone uses hitsounds anyway so nobody bothers to try without.

Flanster wrote:

(a 5 sec video and nothing else)
- e - v - b-

loveleft wrote:

i disagree. improvement entails playing more but playing more doesn't entail improvement on its own. and playing more is not definitive at all because it's too general, it's a starting point from which everything else is derived, not an end goal.

there's never a definitive answer when it comes to improving at a multifaceted skill like playing osu because it's too complex and circumstantial to be reduced. 'play more' works as a general guide, and that's all it is. it's the bare minimum, there's nothing conclusive, definitive, or insightful about it. it's not wrong, but it's comparatively poor advice. and it obviously doesn't explain differences in skill between players with equal play time.

I’m sorry that you’re too mentally deficient to understand that when someone says play more; they are implying that you push yourself and continue to play maps that involve the skill which they want to improve at.
Yolshka
talent
dung eater
Pay more. It will help improve osu.
Topic Starter
Kondou-Shinichi

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play more? '--
1. everybody improves at different speed. even if your playtime is higher than other people but still worse, thats because everyone learns stuff in different speed. lets say youre studying in school. even if you spend more time than others, its not a guranteened advantage to everyone else. thats because other people might only need lesser time to do what you can with a longer time. what you can guranteen, is that you will improve in one way or another, compared to your old self, theres no fucking use comparing to other people when everyone is improving...

2. "27* and 1* only" common sense buddy

3. I can kinda agree to this, because im always trying to tell people to play a larger variety of maps

4. its not a meme, its an answer which everyone can take in, and the most effective way to improve.
better hardware doesnt always means higher skill as explained in the original post
slowly improving from easy to hard maps isnt always a good advice for everyone, and its basically a shortened form of "play more 1* until you can play 2* then move on to play more 2* until you can play 3*" kind of play more loop
sleeping is a rather general advice for your life, not osu
do more sport too, they make you healthier and thats it

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

5. explained in 1.

6. Yes obviously, would you ask one to play less to improve?
winber1
hey have u guys realized top players never post on the forums
DeletedUser_6869432

winber1 wrote:

They must be offline forum posters
Fxjlk
enjoy game > play more
DXPOHIHIHI

kacper124 wrote:

winber1 wrote:

They must be offline forum posters

Nah, I think they're just scrubs who don't go or don't go to the forums at all
Barusamikosu

winber1 wrote:

This can't be true because winber is here
DXPOHIHIHI
Play less
buny

winber1 wrote:

play more
Haita

buny wrote:

winber1 wrote:

play more
no more
gogofrance4
playmore playmore play more play more play more grief osu lobby grief osu lobby grief osu lobby play more play more grief play grief hi hi hi hi hi hi hifactsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts facts
Zelzatter Zero

umaruta4 wrote:

playmore playmore play more play more play more grief osu lobby grief osu lobby grief osu lobby play more play more grief play grief hi hi hi hi hi hi hifactsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts factsfacts facts
Neropost with spam...
just... why...?
show more