forum

When is it late to start playing osu! ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Year2020
deleted
Harmony11
Though the percentage of which will always be debatable, the "average" new player jumps in HDDT farming because they see their idols HDDT farm, and they know that it's the fastest way to rank up in this game's competitive leaderboard. The problem is osu! has no real tutorial or guideline for new players on "the right way to play" other than PP and Global rankings, so any player with a competitive streak to them will focus on those two things. I've heard in osu!'s early years star rating capped at 5 no matter what, so of course the mapping meta pre-2014 was totally different, there was no incentive to map in a way to maximize star rating/PP like there is today and "playing a difficult map" back then meant something totally different than it does today.

Speaking of meta, every competitive games has one as well as a horde of less-skilled players treating it like a freaking Bible or a Law of Nature. Look at a game like Overwatch, you have a lot of players in Bronze (the lowest tier) who insist on 2 Tank-2 DPS-2 Healer compositions even though at that rank what often wins is an individual's comfort with a given Hero. But to Bronze plyaers, they see pros going 2-2-2 and insisting on 2-2-2 at Grand Master level and internalize it as "that's the correct/only way to play". Replace "2-2-2" with "HDDT TV-size" and you get osu!.

That said every player has their own motivation and playstyle, even if they're less common. I assure you along with the multitude of new HDDT players there are players who shoot for SS on every map they play, or players who want to be the next EZDT player like -GN. They're less likely to be noticed due to multiple reasons, but they exist.
ManuelOsuPlayer
You play HDDT if you want, no one force you to play it.
- e - v - b-
You don’t have to play dt to rank up lol

My top 10 ranks consist of nomod and hr and I’m about top 400
DeletedUser_6869432
Humans by nature always pick what benefits them in the short term if given a choice. They do have fun at first seeing their ranks go up, but then they hit a point where they actually have to improve. Most players quit when they get to the first skill barrier and it's sad considering they would never have quit and would have had more fun if they just played it normally. And I wouldn't put the blame all on the top players either. It's a mix of PP abuse and mappers. PP is absolutely broken atm, its inflated to levels unimaginable when it was first created. Measures are being taken to fix it and after osu lazer finally releases we will probably see a huge overhaul on it. The second part of the problem is mappers like SoyTrash who are lesser humans going around making "maps" by smashing their keyboard against their genitalia. DT is also overwigheted af.

Game would be so much better if pp was just removed tbh.
Kondou-Shinichi

kacper124 wrote:

lol it ain't this simple
this is a competitive game
if you remove the competitiveness how would the playerbase react

u guess
Endie-
Just let people play how they like. There is no right or wrong way in osu!. If someone likes playing HDDT on some 30 sec farm map then great for them.

And as -e-v-b- stated earlier

- e - v - b- wrote:

You don’t have to play dt to rank up lol
DeletedUser_6869432

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

kacper124 wrote:

lol it ain't this simple
this is a competitive game
if you remove the competitiveness how would the playerbase react

u guess

They would still keep playing?
Osu wasn't always a competitive game and even now it really isn't. Gaining pp isn't competitive at all it's just doing what you do normally (usually). If you are actually playing this game for competeion then you should probally go play something like LoL where competition actually exists.
Endie-

kacper124 wrote:

Osu wasn't always a competitive game and even now it really isn't. Gaining pp isn't competitive at all it's just doing what you do normally (usually). If you are actually playing this game for competeion then you should probally go play something like LoL where competition actually exists.

osu! is a highly competitive game for a lot of people and removing PP would make the playerbase search for other ways to compete (kind of like how people farmed score before pp). They obviously won't migrate to a MOBA since people play this game for the satisfying feel of clikcing circles. LoL doesn't give that.
I don't really get your argument about how gaining PP isn't competitive. You farm to get PP. Just playing the game or "doing what you normally do" doesn't give anything.
DXPOHIHIHI
you are never late

except at school lol
VinZentVanDough

szkiller wrote:

you are never late

except at school lol

Late and forgot to bring your laptop to play osu! with your weeb friend at school
DeletedUser_6869432

Endie- wrote:

kacper124 wrote:

osu! is a highly competitive game for a lot of people and removing PP would make the playerbase search for other ways to compete (kind of like how people farmed score before pp). They obviously won't migrate to a MOBA since people play this game for the satisfying feel of clikcing circles. LoL doesn't give that.
I don't really get your argument about how gaining PP isn't competitive. You farm to get PP. Just playing the game or "doing what you normally do" doesn't give anything.

Well if you actually deserve the pp then yeah you can get it by playing normally. 80% of my top plays including my highest one was done first try as a sight read. And I'm not even that good at the game is if I can do it then so can everyone else. If you think that's it's not possible to gain pp by just playing the game normally then your way overanked or just trash.
DXPOHIHIHI

ChaosZeroDelta wrote:

szkiller wrote:

you are never late

except at school lol

Late and forgot to bring your laptop to play osu! with your weeb friend at school

Rood
Tokarin Katori
ik it's hard,but everything will be change if u playing this everyday :v
mulraf
idk i really hope new people find this game enjoyable. i know pp didn't exist when i started and it was really enjoyable tbh and when i came back after a long break suddenly there was pp and i started farming (without hddt but nevertheless) but i still enjoyed it. idk. i just find clicking circles to the beat fun. and it never gets not fun. new maps bring in more fun than 2008 maps imho. so i agree: it's never too late. if it's not fun for you then maybe a rhythm game just isn't what floats your boat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UMofuwMofuU
It's never really too late to start playing, take me for example. I joined in May of 2017, stopped playing for ages, then started again in October and I'm still going. You can just play whatever you like really, just don't ask me how I managed to get to 170k with only 68 hours of playtime and no PP farming. I don't know either.
Semaphia
I joined last year but only really started playing consistently a few months back. I don't think I was too late at all, but then again I did manage to avoid falling into the DT farm mentality (yet ironically my top score is a DT play - I gave it 3 attempts for a laugh & FC'd each time with 88>93>97% acc).

Game is just fun. For me, I found the best thing to do was to download as many maps as possible, select 4-4.99* maps, and hit F2. If it's a map I've not played before, I'll play it a few times & try to get an A on it. If it's a map I have played before, I'll go for a score increase/FC.

Having a lot of fun this way, although I do still go back & look to improve specific scores on accuracy/PP maps. Those 1x100 runs are tilting me, but I know better than to put in another god knows how many attempts chasing an SS.

Feels like I'm improving anyway, and yeah, I'm enjoying the game. It's all good - Definitely not too late.
Maggot9
Depends on what particularly is fun for you.

For me its just improving myself with HDHR and play multiplayer and try to FC it.

I find it fun for now but maybe later I will lose interest and will go away