forum

Are A grades even worth it ? cause ain't sure..

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MikuHatsune
Yo! : ) so I have a question which might be weird .. a little.
So I usually.. well.. mostly do maps which I can S or SS because I don't see any sense in getting let's say an A in 4-4,5 maps because even S grades on em' don't give me much if even pp.
so my question is:
is it even worth getting A grades on 4-5* maps ?? I'm 75k rank but Can't fc s stupid 4,7-4,8* ~ 5* maps..
I'm a bit worried :L
Thanks!
abraker
This is std, right? The gamemode in which players can get a C full combo as top pp?
Endie-
No need to be worried ^^
What rank you get just indicates how well you did on that map. It doesn't mean anything, really.
Just play how you like and enjoy the game
DXPOHIHIHI
you need good grades to make your momma prouds
Topic Starter
MikuHatsune

Endie- wrote:

No need to be worried ^^
What rank you get just indicates how well you did on that map. It doesn't mean anything, really.
Just play how you like and enjoy the game

Ohh ^p^ right.. I was just worried a bit.. ^^'
I was focusing on pp rather on gameplay :L
ehehe
Hosthan
I don't understand how people have fun when caring of accuracy.
You're 45k rank ahead of me and still you haven't pass 6 star (When you probably are able to).
If i was you i would try to improve in harder maps so as you say, yes it is worth, since those A will eventually be S and stuff.
I swear i have 0 envy of your acc. -91.35%.
Harmony11

Hosthan wrote:

You're 45k rank ahead of me and still you haven't pass 6 star (When you probably are able to).
If i was you i would try to improve in harder maps so as you say, yes it is worth, since those A will eventually be S and stuff.

I don't know about others, but for me it's a combination of things.

First, I hear a lot of warnings against "building bad habits". Though I admit I may be drastically overthinking things, I consider accuracy as one of them, even at my low skill. I also play easier maps to de-rust after a long break and when I'm trying to improve something specific in how I play- such as right now I'm focusing on where my eyes are looking and forcing myself to not read too-far ahead.

Secondly, I simply have more fun getting high accuracy/combo on a relatively difficult song (again, for my low skill) than pushing myself towards a 85% C clear on something harder; the latter legitimately feels bad to me as anything other than "a starting point".

Thirdly, I don't play for rank too much. I admit I tend to look at it more than I'd like (it is one of those things where you can't unsee it once you know it's there) but mostly I like improving old scores, especially ones with bad accuracy, and enjoy seeing the +RANK more as a confirmation that I'm improving than anything. If I cared more about rank and PP, then yeah hurrying through to harder star ratings where the PP potential is much higher makes sense, but that's simply not for me.
ManuelOsuPlayer
You're not going to get good doing what everybody says, because not everybody is good. Do what you think you should do, be wrong, learn, be right learn.
VirtualMuffin

Hosthan wrote:

I have for the longest time been a fan of accuracy because to me it's a sense of completing that map. And to you clearing a map is probably also a sense of achievement. But you need a mixture of both to improve, which I have been neglecting for a long time now. So I have been warming up with jump and stream practise maps to strengthen other areas of my play.

If you rely on luck and determination to only pass maps of a high star rating there's likely going to come a time when you are going to hit a wall that is extremely hard to budge without revisiting basic fundamentals of this game. But as I said, both approaches have their places as long as you mix them together. I only started doing this at 60k playcount and have risen 400pp in the meantime.

But this isn't all. You can also be too reliant on pp mapping. Maps that although may not be built for this result on purpose, can exaggerate one's ability. Give me 'can you understand me' which is low-mid 5 stars and I have a chance to fc it. Give me a streamy low 4 stars and it's possible I only get a B and a possible fail.

The only 6 star I get close to passing is Get Jinxed [Challenger]. Everything else I'm too slow for or can't read any of the patterns. But there's still a ton of 5 stars I can't read. And even some 4 stars. Yet my highest pass is 5.93. That pass in itself doesn't mean that I can't improve some aspect of my play from easier difficulties.

A tournament example of this would be onoken - p8107

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/192137#osu/457061 - Mid 5 stars and it was a tie breaker for a world cup a couple of years back.

All of the tournament's players were probably doing well on 6 stars at this point. But the star rating doesn't tell you anything. It's an incredibly tough map to do well and acc

And you may ask what am I getting at if you yourself don't care about acc? Well, if you're playing this game as a single person then the only other people you are relying on are mappers to give you the maps and the developers to keep the game running. However other people are enjoying/playing the game does not affect you one iota. You don't need to understand how they enjoy it, you can only suggest another way they may enjoy. It's like me getting exasperated over how someone likes watching darts. The 'sport' is mind numbingly boring to me but if that's what floats someone's boat then fair play to them.

However if you want to go into a team scenario, in a tournament. Then acc is very important and that approach needs to at least be taken to an extent in order to succeed. Of course your approach may need to be taken every now and again to raise the limits. But the acc approach is what polishes the edges.

TL;DR - Chill, Have fun, There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Barusamikosu
Getting A ranks on those higher star maps "matters" in the sense that grinding those maps will make it easier to farm lower star maps with better consistency, which is eventually worth doing if that happens to be your playstyle.

It's not something you have to force yourself to do, though. Everyone has their own way of having fun in the game.

If you happen to be worried about tanking your accuracy with more difficult maps, try score v2 or playing offline (or just quitting at the end of the map). No need to submit a score you don't like.

Also I like your waifu choice and tribute

Hosthan wrote:

Different people enjoy different parts of the game.

It feels good for me personally when I put in the work and can SS faster or more difficult maps/streams/patterns than I could before. Time for me to go pray to KeigoClear and SyeruP for my next scores.
kai99
As are only worth if you 1 miss near the end