forum

[Proposal] Minimum slider duration

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Currently, there are no limits regarding the slider duration time because mappers have been using sliders with sufficient lengths. For the past few years, the usage of shorter lengthed sliders seemed to be increasing, and I personally felt the need to define in which degree the shorter lengthed sliders should be allowed.

There is a score meter for hit error, and every circle and slider get a hit burst based on that ranged chosen by the map's overall difficulty. Given the nature of a slider, if the slider ends before the hit error range, it gives a miss even the click was done inside the range.

Thus, situations mentioned above may occur when the chosen overall difficulty for the map is too low, or the length of the slider becomes too short. Even if you click the slider within the 300 hit error range, it results as a miss. Having a minimal slider duration to assure a fair gameplay experience regarding overall difficulty would be the point of this suggestion.

My proposal for the minimum slider length is to a length that is at least longer than what the 300 hit error range offers since it gives a fair hit burst for the setted overall difficulty of the map and regulating the full hit error range would be too restrictive in rhythm composition.

To elaborate, if "300: +-31.5ms", the minimal duration for a single slider must be at least 32ms.

Sliders must be long enough to the point where it grants a complete hit error range for 300. Having a slider too short in length may result in an unfair gameplay experience.
* I'm not 100% sure about the gameplay terms in English, so please let me know if the wordings are incorrect.
abraker
From another perspective, this is a creative way for a mapper to have variable OD less than the actual OD in the map.

However, a 32+/- ms hit error is probably hard enough, and imo tight hit error is not fun. I think it's more fun to have some freedom to spam around than be confined to a strict window.

Also the player wouldn't be able to tell the OD of such slider apart from other hitobjects. The player would need to know to hit early and would go wtf when random miss.

So I agree with this proposal

Some minor edits,

Sliders must be long enough to the point where it grants a complete hit error range for a 300 score mark. Having a slider too short changes effective OD, which may result in an unfair gameplay experience.
Nao Tomori
i feel like this would simply result in people setting very high od. in which case you're better off wording it in a way where slider length and od line up at the 300 mark.
abraker

Nao Tomori wrote:

i feel like this would simply result in people setting very high od. in which case you're better off wording it in a way where slider length and od line up at the 300 mark.
Wait you have to explain how this would prompt people to set high OD. From what I know, older maps have high OD and we since then left that meta because it was too harsh. Much like the meta of most maps being CS4 now. Why aren't there more CS6 maps?

Note I am talking about 3* - 4* maps. I have no idea what's going on in extreme diffs, but higher OD sounds pretty justified there.
jas
This is a good idea from a players perspective, but there are some cool maps with cool concepts that are dependent on this minimum slider duration thing. If this were to be part of the ranking criteria, I think this should be a guideline instead of a rule.

Basically only use it if it supports the song. And with the whole "it has to be 32 ms minimum" I dont think most mappers will go out of their way to find out if they follow this, so how about this;

Avoid sliders with small hit windows.A slider with a 1/16 hit window changes effective OD, which may result in an unfair gameplay experience.

obv something along these lines would be good but language arts is my worst subject so that writing of that rule prob succs
abraker

CraEZy wrote:

A slider with a 1/16 hit window changes effective OD
Make it 60 bpm, that turns to be 62.5ms positive hit window (positive = late hit), which well encompasses a 300 score mark for any OD. So that statement is false.

Refer to this OD chart:

jas

abraker wrote:

CraEZy wrote:

A slider with a 1/16 hit window changes effective OD
Make it 60 bpm, that turns to be 62.5ms positive hit window (positive = late hit), which well encompasses a 300 score mark for any OD. So that statement is false.

Refer to this OD chart:

well it does say on the criteria that all rules apply to a tempo of 180 or smth like that
abraker

CraEZy wrote:

well it does say on the criteria that all rules apply to a tempo of 180 or smth like that
Rhythm related guidelines apply to approximately 180 BPM maps with 4/4 time signatures.
Guidelines are not rules
niunnn
jas

abraker wrote:

CraEZy wrote:

Rhythm related guidelines apply to approximately 180 BPM maps with 4/4 time signatures.
Guidelines are not rules
well i did say that it would be better as a guidline imo
anna apple
I don't really like this idea, I think this is a fault of the game itself and I think adding this into rc could result in limiting mapper expression.
Rhyth8
Here's my idea: AI mod should list when it happens.
pishifat
is this going anywhere?
pishifat
i suppose not. make a new thread if you want to promote this idea later