forum

[Proposal] Spread requirements based on song length

posted
Total Posts
show more
Toy

Loctav wrote:

ah, this entire "all or nothing" attitude is horrible. So the only solution you guys managed to find was to draw shitty red lines of where stuff is either "too long to have an beginner difficulty at all" or "not long enough so map a full beginner difficulty".

I'd like to repeat what I repeated on other places already, but please somebody explain me why you guys think that "all or nothing" is the only approach that you actually were able to go with?

You say "Hey, look, we get it, mapping a 5 minutes Easy is awful and boring to everybody, it's stale and uninteresting" and then you deduct "SO DON'T MAKE THEM AT ALL!" instead of "Make an Easy that has a 1 minute of drain time, that's enough!"

It doesn't make sense. Sure, for some shitty reason or another, making beatmap sets with varying drain times between difficulties is frowned upon to heavens. (I don't know why, but ok). Also there is this one rule that prohibits you to use less than 80% of the song or something. Fair enough, but why must this be adhered to in all difficulties? Why does the rule not say "If you never use more than 80% of the song in any of the difficulties, then you can't rank it, because you should cut the song, since you never use a huge chunk of the song in any of your difficulties, but if you use 80%+ of the song in at least one or two or whatever amount of difficulites and you can do whatever length on the easier ones, then be my guest".

What I am proposing instead is to keep beginner difficulties mandatory as prior the change and as we are used to it, however, allow people to map easier difficulties of shorter drain time, so they keep getting created for beginners to enjoy, but still don't make mappers vomit the same copypaste pattern into a 5 minute map, where even the untrained monkey from the basement would fall asleep at playing it.
Just curious why you're so upset at a change that's meant to allow mappers more leeway in what they want to map and possibly have more interesting content in the ranked section? The same way you don't understand why people are so against different drain times in varying difficulties I don't understand why you're advocating so vehemently on keeping beginner diffs at all. Certain songs simply don't reflect them well, and I only see this change being a positive thing in making more interesting ranked content, not a laziness thing.

There's SO many more Easy/Normal difficulties. Like actually a metric fuckton. Literally over half of all ranked maps for standard are under 3*. That's not an exaggeration.

Let mappers rank harder stuff. If newer/lower ranked players want to have an experience at all, maybe it can be a challenge to work up to in order to play a map they want. They'd have to do that for marathons anyways and I don't see anyone complaining that their favorite Mazzerin map doesn't have a beginner diff.

I DO however like the idea of varying drain time IN ADDITION to the proposed changes to the RC. While I still think forcing beginner diffs is a bit silly, giving the mappers an option to map it or not with a lower drain time could lead to some interesting ranked mapsets in the future.
quila
[deleted as part of purging my old post history]
hi-mei
loctav, how can u see this working on practice? say, you got an easy with less drain required, so you gonna ignore intro or outro? like, it completely doesnt make any sense. when you map a song, you shud cover the entire thing to make it completed as a thing, otherwise it will look like a joke to be honest.

how can you ignore some part of song and map another one? lets say its some DnB map, so all you do is map drop part without introduction? LOL its just a terrible idea to allow drain time manipulations depending on a diff name. as i can see it working in some cases like infamous 30 second CBCC or w/e when the introduction is cut and all the player does is retry till he gets the concept of the map such as patterning and the rhythm.

not to mention that we already have this in place, some people put breaks in lower diffs, nobody cares. so yeah leave it as it is now since its the most healthy change in rc for a while.
DeletedUser_1981781

hi-mei wrote:

nobody cares. so yeah leave it as it is now since its the most healthy change in rc for a while.
Healthy? ... Try to think like a responsible adult, please... How healthy is making rules that serve for the only purpose of encouraging mappers to be lazy and ignoring the need for new content for beginners in the ranked section?

I'm all against this new change even though I don't agree with Loctav in the idea we should go back to these times where you had a 3:10 insane and a 0:50 Normal, but beginner diffs should be mandatory...
The "marathon" with one diff rule kinda made sense because they were like "boss songs" (try to think of them as if they were in a official rhythm game) even though they were a lot of them that could've easily had a full spread judging on how their rhythms allowed easy charts on them.

Also the increasing number of Marathon maps is a problem, maybe not in osu because you have a lot of BNs, but in Taiko, Catch and Mania the thing works really different... The most worrying case being the Taiko one where currently there are times when you find the QF section with 4 marathon and 2 sets.

Is it really ok for you to forget the core of games are PLAYERS? I don't want to brought some unrelated issues to this into this discussion, but this always comes on point when discussing about changes: You are ignoring what is better for players every time you make decisions as BN/QAT.

There is so much yet to say in this discussion, but the whole "give more ease to mappers" argument is not helping the community at all, if anything, nobody is asking you to rank maps. If you want to rank maps, then just put a bit more of effort and map lower diffs, isn't it simple?
hi-mei
Give me an example of how I should map multilayered Neuro song that cant be simplified to 1/1 rhythm on easy? or deathmetal etc?
The rule change is completely okay, nobody restricts you from mapping low diffs, go ahead if you want. But from my perspective its just a waste. The low diffs on hard songs are usually low quality because nobody cares about them, everyone knows it as a "filler diffs".

I am fully against spreads as a thing since it just kills any enthusiasm of people who puts lots of effort in their maps (I usually spend 200-300 hours on each map i make to find fitting patterns and keep the structure at the same time), and there are lots of people with the same mindset.

I got so many these 4:30 min songs that I could bring into this game but when I think about how much time it will take, I choose to better not even start mapping them.

So the only argument I see here is "b-b-but new players...." Well fuck. There are literally millions of low diffs you can evolve from. I basically got into this game by not being able to pass End Game so I started tryharding and eventually got better.

I only see this as a positive change since there will be more content in ranked, not the opposite.
Smokeman
LIf you think you are a good mapper then you should be able to map lower diffs on any song of w/e quality of a mapper you are. Being lazy is not a good reason to deliver an unfinished product

But overall good changes for the general public of mappers. Will destigmatise those naughty 4:55 min songs and we will finally see more attempts on those.
Dusk-
only thing I can see going wrong with these new rules is that there is a likelihood of there being a shortage of maps for players who are new to the game since I've noticed that many people want to map songs that are 4 minutes, so since a lot of mappers are lazy, they wouldn't make anything for new players
Toy

ARGENTINE DREAM wrote:

Healthy? ... Try to think like a responsible adult, please... How healthy is making rules that serve for the only purpose of encouraging mappers to be lazy and ignoring the need for new content for beginners in the ranked section?

Is it really ok for you to forget the core of games are PLAYERS? I don't want to brought some unrelated issues to this into this discussion, but this always comes on point when discussing about changes: You are ignoring what is better for players every time you make decisions as BN/QAT.

_DUSK_ wrote:

only thing I can see going wrong with these new rules is that there is a likelihood of there being a shortage of maps for players who are new to the game since I've noticed that many people want to map songs that are 4 minutes, so since a lot of mappers are lazy, they wouldn't make anything for new players
There are 30,000 ranked maps for osu!standard under 3*. That's over half of all ranked maps. There are also 2,500 maps above 5.5*. That's less than 5%.
There's plenty of content for new players. Higher ranked players are still players, and fundamentally make up more time spent on the game than anyone new.
Teky

Toy wrote:

There are 30,000 ranked maps for osu!standard under 3*. That's over half of all ranked maps. There are also 2,500 maps above 5.5*. That's less than 5%.
There's plenty of content for new players. Higher ranked players are still players, and fundamentally make up more time spent on the game than anyone new.

I remember someone up in the thread stating that we recommend newer players to play newer maps rather than older ones because mapping improves over time so they are usually more inuitive for players and gets them into the harder difficulties in the current meta. Ofcourse, we shouldn't hinder this proposal in favour of something like this at all as it doesn't seem like it'll affect players for now, like you said they aren't running out of maps to play any time soon, but atleast it's something to think about while developing the RC in the future.
bossandy
If one day I only map an easy diff with a fast song like Road of Resistance it would be funny xD
DeletedUser_1981781

Toy wrote:

How are higher ranked players being affected negatively by mappers also mapping easy diffs? What. Your post doesn't really make any sense.

bossandy wrote:

If one day I only map an easy diff with a fast song like Road of Resistance it would be funny xD
Late to the party! Sorry.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1240759
Izzywing
re: "How are higher ranked players being affected negatively by mappers also mapping easy diffs? What. Your post doesn't really make any sense."

Pretty much the entire point of this proposal is under the theory that there is a theoretical amount of potentially quality Insane+ diffs of songs that are at the 4:15 or 3:30 thresholds that were not ranked because of the requirement of mapping lower difficulties for them. The idea is that with the proposal, those maps can now be ranked.

TBH personally I don't really hate Loctav's suggestion but I was thinking about some of my own maps and how I would map 1:30 or whatever maps out of the full 3:30 songs and in some cases it would just end up being really weird lol
Okoratu
ok even more clarification because people keep flipping out:

- the current wording on the RC page is active and in effect (it's rules being made more liberal and doesnt require anything that wasnt previously the case) with a 6 month trial
- this draft was not denied or whatever, it was moved back to debate the point of having something about having two difficulties at least in a beatmap set on the Ranking Criteria

--

Naxess point is fair it's a confusing clusterfuck to read for that case
ARGENTINE DREAM: Toy's point was that hard maps on long songs oftentimes get made first and then neglected because lower difficulties are required to get them ranked
the change loctav proposes ignores the years of debate that has taken place prior to this thread becoming a thing so im not quite sure what to do with it - the suggestion doesnt seem like a middle ground between any of the previously discussed ideas or the core idea of this change

---

also for some reason the mania rc from like 2012 or whenever mania was introduced now lists that you must have 2 difficulties
which is hilarious but also conflicting information that we should clean up whichever way we go
Smokeman
I wouldn't worry about mapsets with no lower diffs too much. It can be a great motivation to get better to play those maps especially when the lowest diff is a Hard which is like a month of playing osu!.

Let's just remind us that at the moment barely any of these songs are being mapped and when they do it's a set full of GDs (which isn't a bad thing imo). But it does show us quite clearly how mappers handle making such a set: "outsourcing" difficulties to other mappers. Diversity is all fine and good but with every GD you risk getting a subpar quality map especially when most of the experienced GDers don't want to map a 4:30 normal diff and you get yourself someone less experienced risking the integrity of your set.
"why not map the whole set yourself", in that time your could map 3 other sets.

Same for modders.

The only thing this will do is promote those mapsets by reducing the absurd workload. It's pretty good
DeletedUser_1981781

Smokeman wrote:

The only thing this will do is promote those mapsets by reducing the absurd workload. It's pretty good
"Absurd workload"... Lol, mapping is something you do for fun...

Judging by all the replies so far in this thread this new ruleset's reason of being is to encourage lazyness of mappers.

""why not map the whole set yourself", in that time your could map 3 other sets." ... Are you seriously telling me you want 3 sets from the same mapper being ranked quickly? You have LOTs of good mappers who aren't being taken on consideration because the current status of the BN is so unregulated only BN's friends and known mappers get their stuff ranked easily... I'm pretty sure if you check now the unranked section there are plenty of good full sets potentially rankable.

Also every reply in this thread is taking on account only osu gamemode. So if that "unnecessary" is it for you guys just make the rule apply for osu! and leave the other 3 gamemodes exempt of it.

EDIT:

hi-mei wrote:

Give me an example of how I should map multilayered Neuro song that cant be simplified to 1/1 rhythm on easy? or deathmetal etc?
The rule change is completely okay, nobody restricts you from mapping low diffs, go ahead if you want. But from my perspective its just a waste. The low diffs on hard songs are usually low quality because nobody cares about them, everyone knows it as a "filler diffs".
In these exceptional special cases the mapper should prove their point on easier diffs not being mappable then the BN in charge would ask for QAT input on whether the set is rankable without easy diffs.

That would solve your issue a lot better without pushing rules that promote lazyness.
Mordred

ARGENTINE DREAM wrote:

Smokeman wrote:

"Absurd workload"... Lol, mapping is something you do for fun... This doesn't change that it's still a lot of work

Judging by all the replies so far in this thread this new ruleset's reason of being is to encourage lazyness of mappers.

""why not map the whole set yourself", in that time your could map 3 other sets." ... Are you seriously telling me you want 3 sets from the same mapper being ranked quickly? it's more free content for the game so I don't see a downside to that You have LOTs of good mappers who aren't being taken on consideration because the current status of the BN is so unregulated only BN's friends and known mappers get their stuff ranked easily... obviously someone who is well known in the community can rank their maps a lot easier than some random no name mapper, it's like that in a lot of communities I'm pretty sure if you check now the unranked section there are plenty of good full sets potentially rankable. probably, and those sets will get ranked sooner or later if the mapper wants to push them

Also every reply in this thread is taking on account only osu gamemode. So if that "unnecessary" is it for you guys just make the rule apply for osu! and leave the other 3 gamemodes exempt of it. I personally don't care about other modes, but this could help the already rather dead ones to be a little less dead

EDIT:

hi-mei wrote:

In these exceptional special cases the mapper should prove their point on easier diffs not being mappable then the BN in charge would ask for QAT input on whether the set is rankable without easy diffs.

That would solve your issue a lot better without pushing rules that promote lazyness. Then the qat would be spammed by tons of people that don't want to map low diffs for pretty much anything that isn't super simple anime, do you really think that's a good idea?

people also seem to forget that this change only applies to songs that actually reach 3:30 drain. plenty of songs are shorter than that, so all of those would still require full spreads, and even in case they exceed 3:30, the set would still need a hard difficulty
SparkNights
Oh? the rule has been newly added?
Xinnoh
still a bit concerned about not being able to have breaks in some situations.
regardless of the difficulty of the song, some low intensity parts quite simply should not be mapped

example https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1367351
the total drain time is 4:17 without any breaks.
because of spread rules, someone following new spread rules would be required to map the preview point due to drain rules. I would even argue that doing so would be harmful to the map, a break is the only thing that can express the song well at that point.

there is no benefit in that situation for drain being enforced rather than length. using breaks can also be a stylistic choice in some cases, having the rc state that some styles are unrankable just doesn't make any sense.

using song length as the spread requirement + 80-90% of the length must be drain is a much better solution imo
-Mo-
So my biggest concern with killing the 2 diff thing are the silly mapsets this now allows.

The point of this change was so that we'll be able to have more 4 minute Insane+ maps ranked. But removing the 2 diff thing now allows us to have a 3:30 single Hard set or even a 0:30 single Easy set, which let's be honest isn't contributing to the ranked section in any meaningful way (in most cases) and seems counter-productive with what the changes are trying to improve.

Consider also that a typical TV size spread is maybe 6 minutes of drain. This change now allows us to have 4 minute long songs with maybe 8 minutes of drain. That's reasonable enough. But now it also allows sets with 3:30 minutes of drain, or even less (I realise you could've already made EN spreads in the past, but I'll get to that in a sec).

This change was put in place so that newbie players stuck to their shorter songs since those are typically easier, and experienced players had more access to longer songs. So why are we allowing sets with only low level difficulties?

I wouldn't put it past people to try and rank a song with only a Normal diff or something along those lines. It's even been done in the past for 5m+ songs. This would be favourable for beginner mappers, especially those who's only goal is to get something, anything, into the ranked section. Instead of learning to build a full spread, those mappers will just try to push their single difficulty Normal into ranked.

I understand that some songs wouldn't benefit from forcing harder difficulties into the set where a single Normal would probably suffice (see: R3 Music box), but it's not reasonable to relax the rules to the point where we could get upbeat anime openings with only a single Normal on them.

Therefore I propose this guideline:

Guideline wrote:

The highest difficulty of a mapset should correspond to the general feel of the song. An upbeat anime opening should have an Insane or Expert for the highest difficulty, while a calm piano piece can have a Normal as the highest. This is to ensure that the most popular difficulty of a mapset will properly represent what the song offers.

It's a guideline since we can't really draw solid lines on what is upbeat and what isn't. The wording is open for discussion too since I don't know the music theory word for the 'feel' of a song (I was thinking 'timbre', but I think that's for individual sounds and not a song).

I think this is a reasonable compromise to killing the 2 diff rule, since it'll stop people pushing single Normal sets when the song can clearly support an Insane, while not forcing the people who do make higher difficulties for long songs to add low effort difficulties.
-Atri-
I agree what mo said, it gives a risk of mappers pushing single diff tv size for ranking

However, the main point i want to bring is that the proposal itself is meant to encourage mappers to push full sized song as there's isn't much players play full sized low diffs, which this phenomenon isn't clearly happening when it comes to tv sized maps (at least compared to full size). So it's reasonable enough to remove 2 diff rule for full version songs (>4:15) but not in tv sized maps (mostly referred to 2:30 if counting rhythm game size and anime TV size songs, but it this case, it's referred to songs shorter than 3:30). And removing 2 diff rule is still unfair to full size mappers because mappers can map a tv size calm song (e.g. R3 music box) with only 1 normal or easy diff, rendering they can rank single diff mapsets with (more than) half of the drain/play time then full size mapsets.

So besides what mo has proposed (to prevent abusing this rule by ranking low diff approval while the song is upbeat), i would like to propose the guideline in another way to prevent this happening so tv size mappers should map almost the same drain time as single diff full version maps:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If the drain time of a beatmap is...
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal and should include 2 or more difficulties, regardless of how the song feels.
Because osu!mania does not have a difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria yet, an osu!mania beatmapset's Normal difficulty is defined as a difficulty below 2.00 stars. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes’ lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
While i felt that songs with between 3:30 and 4:15 probably stays on the grey zone, since some "full sized" songs with that size (especially between 3:50 to 4:15, from my experience) and "Hard" isn't exactly lands on either "low diffs" or "higher diffs" but stays on between. So it's hard to desire should we allow a map that sized can be ranked with one diff or not.

Sorry if it's hard to understand, my English is quite bad and i am not good at explaining things
Smokeman
Just make an exception that maps under a certain length need more than 2 diffs, ez.
If single diff set and sr[diff] <= minimum required then add one more diff' with sr[diff'] < sr[diff] (assuming mappers map the highest diff first and then filter out on lower diffs)

Sets with 2 diffs on short and slow songs have been a thing in the past so ya, if that chill slow song is 4 min now you wont end up with 2 diffs.
Evening
Reference: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria#rules

Wording amendment

Old
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal.
New
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode must be Normal or easier.

Old
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
New
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode must be Hard or easier.

Old
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
New
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode must be Insane or easier.

--
Reason for change:

It's easier to answer the question what is the lowest difficult I can go. The current one makes you do a double-take
Okoratu
I agree with mo, just maybe dont force Extra if the song suggests expert difficulties

I have no idea what Firis is trying to get across, because you say you propose something and then quote the RC and dont propose things? i dont know
Teky

Okoratu wrote:

I agree with mo, just maybe dont force Extra if the song suggests expert difficulties

I have no idea what Firis is trying to get across, because you say you propose something and then quote the RC and dont propose things? i dont know

The quote was his proposal; he proposed that songs higher than 3:30 should be extempt from the 2-diff rule, while TV size songs and any thing less than 3:30 should still have atleast 2 diffs; it seems like his proposal of solving the issue of people ranking a single easy diff of R3 music box 30 seconds, for example.
-Atri-
^ That's what i want to propose
-Keitaro

Mohab500 for Firis' explaination wrote:

he proposed that songs higher than 3:30 should be extempt from the 2-diff rule, while TV size songs and any thing less than 3:30 should still have atleast 2 diffs;
I don't think this would fix it, that would make a lot of lazy sets with a single Hard diff, as what mo said.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If the drain time of a beatmap is between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
then if a song can actually support a Hard difficulty, the song should support lower diff or higher diff like Normal and Insane, too, so there shouldn't be any extempt of two diff rule for set higher than 3:30 length.

so my propose of this is adding a new rule that clearly states to have at least 2 diffs inside a set with <5:00 length.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Mapsets must have at least 2 difficulties. With an exception if the drain time of a beatmap is longer than 5:00.
lenpai
Applying the minimum 2 diff rule for <5:00 sounds like a step in the right direction
Cheri
um gonna stay out of this but i do have 1 thing to say... u do realize that was the old rule right? how is it the step in the right direction if it really just taking a step back...

anyways the rule just got implemented and there is more songs gonna still have 2 diffs for sure and even if some/few people is gonna abuse it (which they would abuse anything either way), you guys aren't even giving it a chance. lets test the waters out and see if this really is a problem which is why there is a 6 month to evalute to begin with (I think that is still a thing from 1 of oko's posts?)
lenpai
“ima stay out”
steps in anyway

jokes aside, a step back can still be a sound decision in the right context.

i dont mind waiting to see how the current ruling plays out in 6 months but i would still prefer the 2 diff rule maintained in conjunction with the lowest diff depending on length thing going on rn
Okoratu
But what Mo is proposing is an actual compromise, i dont think it's a step back to add this to avoid single diff easies on 3:30 upbeat anime songs being acceptable
ZiRoX
The problem with Mo's proposal is that it can be taken to the other extreme: a beatmap being forced to require 3 or 4 diffs (from Normal to Insane/Extra), more than the not-so-long-ago required 2. But the idea of considering the song in the condition upon which the guideline can be broken could be used in my previous guideline proposal. This would cover Oko's objection with my proposal that a mapper could break the guideline just by saying "I don't want to map a 2nd diff".

So something along these lines could do:
Single-mode mapsets should include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties when the song allows for it density and feel-wise. As an example, a calm piano piece could have a single diff.
Ascendance
anyone who thought removing the two diff rule was a good idea should be removed from any decision-making body regarding RC
-Mo-
@ZiRoX The proposed guideline shouldn't be broken with just a simple "I don't wanna" since now the mapper should exhaustively explain why an extra difficulty wouldn't improve a mapset.

Your proposal could be interpreted as "my new Hitorigoto map has an Easy and a Normal. That's reasonable enough spread."
ZiRoX

-Mo- wrote:

@ZiRoX The proposed guideline shouldn't be broken with just a simple "I don't wanna" since now the mapper should exhaustively explain why an extra difficulty wouldn't improve a mapset.
I was referring to my guideline proposal, not yours. In any case, it would be good if you let Oko know that "I don't want to" is not a proper reasoning:

-Mo- wrote:

Your proposal could be interpreted as "my new Hitorigoto map has an Easy and a Normal. That's reasonable enough spread."
Yeah, my proposal allows for a EN spread on Hitorigoto, but so did the old rule about having a minimum of 2 diffs. Basically, my idea is to rollback to the minimum 2 diffs, but giving the possibility of doing a single diff on songs that do not give much space for significant differences in density between diffs (hi, R3!).

In any case, requiring additional diffs is up to the BN. Personally, if I think a map should have one or two additional higher difficulties and the mapper doesn't want to add them, I just skip the map.
Okoratu
Having a guideline to say "you should map two diffs" but it not being required would make reasoning among the lines of "I dont need two difficulties" exhaustive.

Making it a requirement again is probably forcing difficulties that are either just dupes of existing things (aka this is the easy but harder) or altogether chore-difficulties for the sake of their existence and not for the sake of fitting music
ZiRoX

Okoratu wrote:

Having a guideline to say "you should map two diffs" but it not being required would make reasoning among the lines of "I dont need two difficulties" exhaustive.

Making it a requirement again is probably forcing difficulties that are either just dupes of existing things (aka this is the easy but harder) or altogether chore-difficulties for the sake of their existence and not for the sake of fitting music
Having a guideline that says the top diff should correspond to the feel of the song would be equally affected by a reasoning like "I don't think it needs a higher diff", but somehow you're way more open to that idea.
Okoratu
I'm way more open to that idea because it makes more sense than what you propose in context of what i want to avoid, yeah

a single diff on a really slow song makes more sense than forcing two in

If you have an Insane as the easiest required difficulty and map a normal as a second optional difficulty you cant really go with a 1 diff normal for this sort of thing. this guideline would require you to add an insane to fill that in so you can't really bs around with it that much

People are usually way more in agreement of whether or not a song supports an Insane / Hard than whether or not representing it with a single easy difficulty is fine
pishifat

-Mo- wrote:

Guideline wrote:

The highest difficulty of a mapset should correspond to the general feel of the song. An upbeat anime opening should have an Insane or Expert for the highest difficulty, while a calm piano piece can have a Normal as the highest. This is to ensure that the most popular difficulty of a mapset will properly represent what the song offers.

i'd clarify that this cuts off at hard diffs instead of insane+. hards usually cover rhythm closely enough without butchering it through simplification like e/n

with insane+ as the limit, i can imagine lots of cases where hard diffs fit "the feel of the song" fine, but an insane diff is possible through buffing spacing/activerhythms, so people will think it's needed (example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1710521 guideline makes me think this needs an insane when it doesn't)

with hard as the limit though, it would be more reasonable to figure out what fits. if normal is the highest diff and it's simplifying every rhythm (as most normals do) the guideline here would tell them to make a hard diff. if it's a calm piano song or an r3 music box, rhythms on a normal wouldnt be simplified, so uhhhhhh you get my point

there's some dense songs that hards would be simplifying, though they're rarer and harder to nail down, so i'm not sure it would be appropriate for the rc

The highest difficulty of a beatmapset should correspond to the general feel of the song. Easy/Normal difficulties can be used as the highest difficulties of a beatmapset if their rhythms are not oversimplified. A Hard difficulty or beyond should be the highest difficulty otherwise.

that should solve the concern of unnecessary 1 diff baby sets getting ranked because 2 diff rule is gone
Teky

RC wrote:

The highest difficulty of a beatmapset should correspond to the general feel of the song. Easy/Normal difficulties can be used as the highest difficulties of a beatmapset if their rhythms are not oversimplified. A Hard difficulty or beyond should be the highest difficulty otherwise.

I still feel like limiting it to a difficulty name such as 'hard' 'insane' etc.. is too contreversial/limiting.

What about something like:

RC wrote:

The highest difficulty of a beatmapset should correspond to the general feel of the song. It should not have oversimplified rhythms and object placement should correspond to the sounds in the music.

Ofcourse it's pretty dumb right now since I don't know how to really word it, but you get the point; someone with experience in RC stuff can rewrite it to get the point across easily.
Okoratu
i think it isnt too limiting, the scenarios where you'd run into this is when you're making easy / normal only on medium sized songs - provided people were hammered in the face for nominating these in the past i don't think this limits you at all - conversely with Mohab's wording someone could claim the songs supports an Ultra and demand an Ultra

and i dont think that's gonna end well
show more