forum

What's with circular avatars nowadays?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rizumu Tenshi
First, I have no idea about how to deal with the new forum layout as much, as I haven't been frequenting osu! lately so I may get something wrong with the new layout. Also I don't know if the search was altered as I got results for avatars in general without any mention of circular or square, so I don't know if this was discussed somewhere else on this domain, but let's get to the point if this wasn't discussed before...

Just like the title says, what's with circular avatars nowadays? Tonnes of sites and services have shifted to it, but I don't see a reason to do it unless the core design of the service will be enhanced with it, such as this osu! and to an extent Discord, but stuff like Twitter TOTALLY do NOT NEED it.

osu!, for example, has been all about circles, so avatars the "odd one out" had to be altered to fit the design theme as well as the rest of the project. Discord was from the beginning designed where icons are circular, so changing avatars to square will result in "design inconsistency", but why do other services like Facebook and Twitter and LINE and Google do it if it's unnecessary design-wise? If there's anything I just don't get about circular avatars outside the scope of the design, do tell me. And please be logical; only HTML5 and CSS3 eased the functionality of circular avatars on websites so square was the standard and I feel that the shift was too sudden.

Discussion open unless rejected by the GMT or forum moderators.
Masternolen
lmfao what
Shohei Ohtani
uh maybe they like it
Mogsy
you're on a website about clicking circles

now click circles to make friends
Sandy Hoey
Are you a circle hater?

Why are there circles? My world has turned upside. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Topic Starter
Rizumu Tenshi
Wow you guys
I did not mean circles in general, did you even read
Let circles on a beatmap, design game logos circular as you wish, but it feels...strange if the avatar is circular, like yours at the top of any osu! page, or top-right to be specific
At least I can see why in osu! so this one's okay but some others' don't make sense a la Facebook

lrn2read, also this is General Discussion not Off-Topic
Shohei Ohtani

Mogsy wrote:

yoooo my man mogsworth
Mogsy

CDFA wrote:

Mogsy wrote:

yoooo my man mogsworth
who now
abraker
Topic Starter
Rizumu Tenshi

abraker wrote:

Here you go: https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/56730/why-are-the-profile-pictures-rounded-nowadays

But it still doesn't make it better to remove the corners and make an rl photo circular for a better focus on the centre object which is focused on, because you'll still be able to figure when you look at and focus on the centre disregarding the corners
- Incarndine -
OwO
Joeynator3000
When will sites start using triangle avatars?
Husa

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

First, I have no idea about how to deal with the new forum layout as much, as I haven't been frequenting osu! lately so I may get something wrong with the new layout. Also I don't know if the search was altered as I got results for avatars in general without any mention of circular or square, so I don't know if this was discussed somewhere else on this domain, but let's get to the point if this wasn't discussed before...

Just like the title says, what's with circular avatars nowadays? Tonnes of sites and services have shifted to it, but I don't see a reason to do it unless the core design of the service will be enhanced with it, such as this osu! and to an extent Discord, but stuff like Twitter TOTALLY do NOT NEED it.

osu!, for example, has been all about circles, so avatars the "odd one out" had to be altered to fit the design theme as well as the rest of the project. Discord was from the beginning designed where icons are circular, so changing avatars to square will result in "design inconsistency", but why do other services like Facebook and Twitter and LINE and Google do it if it's unnecessary design-wise? If there's anything I just don't get about circular avatars outside the scope of the design, do tell me. And please be logical; only HTML5 and CSS3 eased the functionality of circular avatars on websites so square was the standard and I feel that the shift was too sudden.

Discussion open unless rejected by the GMT or forum moderators.
I agree!
Topic Starter
Rizumu Tenshi

Joeynator3000 wrote:

Hello, you're in the wrong topic.

Or rather, have I been wrong to ask this in osu! and not Stack Exchange...? Considering most of osu! players here "like anime" or however it goes (not saying that word), circular avatars are not needed here, and while it may "ease the view" of the face or however that expression goes, it's not to a level where it's the trend...and personally if I want to use an avatar in multiple sites where some set it square and some others circular, it's an extra burden in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever to make sure you get the right visuals in the circular area and still keep it square.

I guess it was a mistake to post this in General Discussion given this community. abraker was one to give something that contributes, but the rest? I wonder :thinking:
DXPOHIHIHI
Flat avatars are better (lenny face)
beachTurkey
heres my attempt at making one
Ganbatte_old_1

Joeynator3000 wrote:

What did you say about triangles?? Triangles are the superior shapes of them all! Have you heard about Pythagoras? Yeah, he all about triangles, not squares!
ColdTooth

Ganbatte wrote:

Joeynator3000 wrote:

What did you say about triangles?? Triangles are the superior shapes of them all! Have you heard about Pythagoras? Yeah, he all about triangles, not squares!
johnmedina999
It's just an aesthetic choice. Kind of like everyone started to use flat logos for their sites around the time ios7 came out. They're trends.
Topic Starter
Rizumu Tenshi
OK kinda feels better this is in Off-Topic. Good Lord you guys. I’ve asked a sincere question about avatars and why the circular trend and I get just shitposts, huh, except abraker and johnmedina.

Did I forget that not all avatars are assumed to be faces for this trend? If you take pure illustrations which show not necessarily a human face, still kinda better with circular avatars?

Oh well. Calling Nathanael.
show more