forum

Will a better PC Reduce input lag in Osu!?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Liyuu
I have a budget oriented computer circling around the G4560 and was wandering if i upgrade it will it reduce lag? so does it?
I don't even know why i put this here i just got curious and saw no other people on forums asking the same. :D
Piefayth
My understanding is that the granularity of osu!'s input is determined by the time to draw a frame. That is, the higher your FPS, the more precise your inputs will be, as osu! can only process an input when it draws a frame. If you were running at 1 FPS, you wouldn't be able to hit more than one note per second.

I notice a SIGNIFICANT difference in my ability between 240 FPS (4.2 ms draw time) and Unlimited FPS (for me, between 0.3 and 0.6ms draw time).

So, yes, probably. But not by more than a few milliseconds, unless your current FPS is quite poor.
Implojin
It's technically possible to reduce latency/stutter with a better CPU/RAM/GPU, but if you have something marginally better than a toaster you'll never notice the difference from upgrading these, unless your system is loaded down with a bunch of malware or something.

Most of the work you can do to reduce i/o latency comes from peripherals: You can get a 144hz/240hz monitor (Asus VG248QE, Benq 24__z, etc.) and a good keyboard with minimal latency+debounce+1000hz USB polling (pretty much any keyboard that advertises cherry switches + NKRO + 1ms USB). [But remember: You don't *need* expensive peripherals. Plenty of players use 60hz monitors and do fine. With slower hardware, you just adapt to expecting a few more ms of latency and it doesn't change much.]

You can reduce the latency it takes for your system to process tablet input by using hawku's custom driver: https://github.com/hawku/TabletDriver

If you're on an older version of windows, you can also disable windows aero to save yourself 2 frames of framedraw buffer latency, but I'm not sure if that trick still works on windows 10.
Topic Starter
Liyuu
Ok thanks guys :D
Kondou-Shinichi
tldr yes

input lag is basically another fps display