forum

Vsync or Unlimited FPS?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arona
Ah, hi. So, I've been playing on Vsync (60 FPS) for a while now and had no problem on it. But, I've read something awhile ago that Unlimited FPS is better for the game (because lower input latency) and a lot of people were using it. So, I tried playing in Unlimited FPS and I have noticed my accuracy was really awful and I am hitting notes too early. Tried raising offset but it didn't really help. Does unlimited fps really help you at the game?

Should I just keep playing on Vsync or should I just keep playing unlimited until I get used to it. I hope it doesn't take a while to get used to.
Bobbias
Osu only processes input when it draws a new frame. On vsync, that means that (unless you have a high FPS counter) you're only processing input 60 times a second. That's a difference of 16.6ms if you're off by one frame, which is a HUGE amount of time to be off by in a game like this. The more frames osu can render, the more accurate the timing of your hits will actually be, making unlimited FPS by FAR the better option.

The reason you're hitting early is that on vsync there's much more delay being applied to your hits on average. Perfect timing for notes will rarely line up perfectly with the FPS, introducing a somewhat random delay which increases as the framerate drops, meaning that in order to compensate for the average amount of delay that you have on vsync, you need to hit earlier than you do for higher FPS.

There are 2 ways to deal with this. Change your global offset, or simply play until you adjust to the new reduced delay on unlimited. But I highly recommend you stick with unlimited, rather than vsync. At lower skill levels, this makes a lot less of a difference, but at your skill level, once you adjust to unlimited properly, you should notice a much lower unstable rate and better overall accuracy due to reduced cases where the framerate delay causes what should have been a higher judgement to end up being delayed and judged as a lower judgement instead.