forum

osu!mania pp system is trash at present

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
So, mania pp used to be great, right? Well, I don't think it is anymore. Back then, I used to think that cause mania seemed the most fair and easy to rank up, but now, it's the opposite. My rank and pp are so artificially inflated by pp maps that it is impossible for me to actually rank up by any significant amount.

Now here's the real bad part: Most mania maps are designed for pp, with 4k maps being the worst offender. It's not often that you see a map 4 stars or above without jumptrill spam or 1/6 dump streams. Luckily, most 5k+ maps are not as bad in this regard, with most of them being competently designed and easy to read (relatively speaking).

Anyway, back to the pp system. So mania is based entirely off acc, right? Now this sounds like a good idea on paper, and it does seem to work, for a time; but as you get higher ranked, you'll notice that if your acc is anywhere close to bad, you won't get any additions to your total pp. This can cause a lot of rank stagnation that you don't see in other modes. In all other modes, I'm improving on a linear scale, but with mania, there's a wall that's been going on for like 4 months now.

I think an easy fix for mania would be to give more pp for high star rating passes and less pp for low star rating passes, and have it not be based almost entirely off acc. This would make difficult high SR passes worth more, and easy low SR passes worth less. Another possible solution would be to add a flat/percentage pp bonus for A ranks and S ranks, but this would have to be done carefully, as to not cause inflation.

Something like this maybe:

tl;dr: Buff high SR map passes, lower low SR map passes. Make acc a bit less of a factor.

Edit: I know the pp values are way off, but you get my point
Yyorshire
the easy solution to the pp problem is to stop playing for pp and play for fun, also pp is score based not acc based
abraker
1) What you propose doesn't fix the issue you are complaining about
2) What you propose is wrong

1 - You are just readjusting the scale. You will get more pp, but so will everyone else above you. You will still be stuck at the same wall only with slightly higher pp

2 - The pp system is ok. It's not actually broke. What is broke is the star rating system. The reason 4k is mostly pp maps is because the star rating sees handtrills as hard patterns due to their density despite you being able to wrist spam through them. Meanhile single column 3 triple note jacks with graces sprinkled at 220 BPM would be seen as low density by the star rating, giving you less pp even though it's hard to do
Tripletth

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

So mania is based entirely off acc, right? Now this sounds like a good idea on paper, and it does seem to work, for a time; but as you get higher ranked, you'll notice that if your acc is anywhere close to bad, you won't get any additions to your total pp.

what
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tripletth wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

So mania is based entirely off acc, right? Now this sounds like a good idea on paper, and it does seem to work, for a time; but as you get higher ranked, you'll notice that if your acc is anywhere close to bad, you won't get any additions to your total pp.

what

I’ve been playing mania for two years. I know how this shit works
snoverpk_old
mania pp has always been a joke and i'm surprised it took this long for people to realize
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

snoverpk wrote:

mania pp has always been a joke and i'm surprised it took this long for people to realize

At least it isn’t combo based tho
CircusGalop
Osu!Mania pp is calculated by score, and the mania scoring is not combo based but 300-judgement combo based.

Mania BonusScore
BonusScore = (MaxScore * ModMultiplier * 0.5 / TotalNotes) * (HitBonusValue * Sqrt(Bonus) / 320)
Bonus = Bonus before this hit + HitBonus - HitPunishment / ModDivider
Bonus is limited to [0, 100], initially 100.

Judgement / HitValue / HitBonusValue / HitBonus / HitPunishment
MAX / 320 / 32 / 2 /
300 / 300 / 32 / 1 /
200 / 200 / 16 / / 8
100 / 100 / 8 / / 24
50 / 50 / 4 / / 44
Miss / 0 / 0 / / ∞

- Consecutive 200 judgement make the combo score zero. So reducing 200 judgement is more important than miss judgement generally.
- About the combo score, MAX300 judgement has better effect than 300 judgement.

In a nutshell, combo is meaningless about the osu!mania score. Yes. it's the worst scoring system among the VSRG games I have ever played.
Yyorshire

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

I’ve been playing mania for two years. I know how this shit works
Obviously not since the majority of what you wrote is incorrect.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

So, mania pp used to be great, right?
No.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Well, I don't think it is anymore.
It never was.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

My rank and pp are so artificially inflated by pp maps that it is impossible for me to actually rank up by any significant amount.
You should probably try playing pp maps better then.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

or 1/6 dump streams.
Because dumps aren't rankable, and I remember you saying you only play ranked maps.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

So mania is based entirely off acc, right?
As previously stated, this is incorrect. It is based off of score.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Now this sounds like a good idea on paper
It is a nice idea. And can be seen properly implemented in a game called Etterna.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

but as you get higher ranked, you'll notice that if your acc is anywhere close to bad, you won't get any additions to your total pp.
Really? I have a low A rank in my top 5 that gives me 627pp. Naturally it was a jumptrill spam fest but at least my score was decent enough for the pp!

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

This can cause a lot of rank stagnation that you don't see in other modes.
Rank stagnation or skill stagnation?

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

but with mania, there's a wall that's been going on for like 4 months now.
Welcome to the club!

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

I think an easy fix for mania would be to give more pp for high star rating passes and less pp for low star rating passes
It already does this.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

and have it not be based almost entirely off acc.
Honestly, I would agree with this, namely because osu!mania's judgement timings are comparatively garbage to every other rhythm game.

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

This would make difficult high SR passes worth more, and easy low SR passes worth less.
Why do you want to make the huge mania pp gap even wider?

Honestly I half convinced this is a troll post. The tl;dr kinda sold it to me.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Lol that’s a detailed response
abraker
rekt
Freek
Yea no.

Acc is important as well, not just mashing.

The only thing broken is the star rating system.
Bobbias
100% correct. SR is a flaming pile of garbage, which heavily distorts pp values since the pp calculation is heavily reliant on SR calculation. Its been like this since SR was introduced.
nadavv
MAKE THE FOOL MOON 70% 10000PP DREAM A REALITY
ReTLoM
bellow 80% should be a fail anyways :) mania is to spammy in general imo
jespi
ggwp
lemonguy
I can't tell if the OP is joking or not, but this might be the dumbest thing I have read all week
Stefan
can I just lock it
WalterToro

Stefan wrote:

can I just lock it

stupud man
this is so FUNNY!!! like my favorite osu Mania playter (EtienneXC) make funny thread about pausing cheat xD

PROVE ME WRONG LOLL!!!!

ur so funny bro :)