forum

news flash

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
peppy announcing release of new osz2 format in lazer

In an exclusive interview with our correspondent, peppy revealed first specifics about the new and long anticipated osz2 format.
'Its implementation follows an innovative technology where the confusing bunch of files is hidden in a package with the osz2 extension. We are essentially at eye level with leading companies like Microsoft using a very similar concept as their successful Office applications.'
But it doesn't stop here. In order to provide the highest quality experience for osu! players peppy wants to go a step further than just providing top class usability of the software.
'We have listened to the players' feedback and found that crashes through manipulated beatmaps were a big concern among the community.'
In order to reduce the frequency and impact of such cases in the future, 'direct access to the source files of a beatmap should no longer be possible'.
peppy is kind enough to let us take a glance on how the songs folder will look in the future:

'Malign users seeking to manipulate beatmaps through the source will no longer be able easily make tweaks that cause the client to crash, nor will they know which beatmap they actually manipulated.'
It is expected that the occurence of crashes through manipulated beatmaps will quickly down to 'essentially 0' as soon as lazer goes live.
Regarding future plans of osz2 peppy answered that 'further changes won't be necessary' in the near future as other minor problems such as pp mapping would easily be 'solved by not implementing a way to alter or turn off distance snap in the editor'.
Comfy Slippers
What the fuck is this? Where's my inferno cop? reee
Comfy Slippers
What the fuck is this? Where's my inferno cop? reee
Foxi
B-But, how are we going to make cool symmetrical shapes with sliders if we can't edit the files to make them perfect?
Star and heart sliders might disappear. I always thought they were cool.
ColdTooth

Foxi wrote:

B-But, how are we going to make cool symmetrical shapes with sliders if we can't edit the files to make them perfect?
it's still possible to make them perfect without editing files?
Shohei Ohtani

Foxi wrote:

I've met about 10 gay furry dudes with that exact same profile picture
abraker

Endaris wrote:

''Malign users seeking to manipulate beatmaps through the source will no longer be able easily make tweaks that cause the client to crash, nor will they know which beatmap they actually manipulated.'
Sound likes a challenge
johnmedina999
How the fuck will I have 0 BPM sections of my map now? 0 BPM is currently achieved through editing the .osu file and changing the BPM there. We won't have any incredible, cool SV maps anymore. This sucks.

This is all due to people stealing MP3 files. But isn't piracy already addressed with the new ranking criteria? The max bitrate you can have on a map is 192, so it would be low enough quality to avoid too many copyright strikes. How come ppy has to go even further and fuck us all in the ass?
johnmedina999
Also this isn't a "news flash", this has been known for months.
johnmedina999
ALSO, as abraker pointed out, it's only a matter of time before people find a way to crack this. I give it 4 weeks.
Foxi

CDFA wrote:

I've met about 10 gay furry dudes with that exact same profile picture
I mean, I'm a lesbian, but Tokifuji draws nice art.
B1rd
"I am incredibly concerned about crashes because of manipulated beatmaps"

-no one ever