forum

[osu!std] 03/25/18 shikata akiko - Katayoku no tori by elchxyrlia Vote/Discussion

posted
Total Posts

Should shikata akiko - Katayoku no tori by elchxyrlia be Loved?

Yes
94.67%
No
5.33%
Total votes: 244
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Toy
shikata akiko - Katayoku no tori by elchxyrlia
Captain's Description (by Toy):
Arguably elchxyrlia's (better known as lahnphnya) most popular map that hasn't already been Loved, Katayoku no tori stands above the rest with a towering 360 favorites and a monstrous 8.56 star rating that culminates at the last chorus matching the intensity of the opera-like vocals. There's not much to say of this jump map very typical of lahphnya's style aside from its mass popularity, though its status among the community alone earns it a spot in this week's vote.

Please use the space below to discuss why you believe this map should (or should not!) enter the Loved Category.
The poll will run for 7 days. Revoting will be enabled for the sole purpose of changing your answer in the case that the discussion sways your vote otherwise after submission.

Link to this week's main thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/721045
[-obee58-]
ugh, why this one? this mapper has plenty of better beatmaps than this imo
i don't think this should be such a popular map; while the map does do a very good job of matching the song's flow and intensity, it's brought down by many other points.
this is my usual issue with arles difficulties...

1. the jumps are excessive. while i understand it's supposed to be a challenge map, there's hardly any reason to make a song like this have a 8.56 star rating.
tm;dr (too modhelp, didn't read) there are many, many notes where there should not be notes at all

2. the general movement speed of an ideal, interesting version would be lower (1.40 sv or so?) and force snappy movements to each jump based on the music's instruments and singer's voice/pitch, instead of "throw cursor over in this direction, now hit the other side of the screen, now this angle to that note" etc.
tm;dr it's not creative at all

3. there is obviously some thought occasionally put into where objects should go aside from just making large cross-screen jumps, but often the way it's done is just awkward and annoying to play. there are quite a few jumps that go from <2x spacing to 4x spacing and sometimes the other way around (which is worse) and some places where the angles of jumps become >90 degrees without any real justification from the song
tm;dr it's weird to play even if there's no reason for it to be

4. overall this map in particular feels like object vomit all over the sides of the screen, as the rhythms (active/passive) tend to partially ignore the song (in the most intense parts at least) and aesthetics are meh at best/mildly ugly overlaps at worst. it's not even hitsounded smh
tm;dr it looks bad to my eyes and ears

i'm just tired of seeing this kind of map praised and favorited just because cookiezi played it and it's super hard and "woah godmode omg". just because a player is really good at a map does not mean the map is good, it never really has been that way. the big, messy outer community as usual has taken whatever cookiezi and other top players play or say and act like it's the second coming of jesus christ
tm;dr community sucks, it's not good because cookie played it and scored well on it

tbh could forgive half of these if the song was the Hommarju remix
Topic Starter
Toy

[-obee58-] wrote:

i don't think this should be such a popular map

That's not really up to us as individuals to decide
We're not here curating maps because we find them to be of the highest possible quality; that's what the ranked section is for. Loved is a home for all graveyarded maps that have achieved mass popularity and that can be regardless of how well it's mapped.

I personally share some of your ideas that maps shouldn't get a free pass simply because people want to see big plays on them (looking at you, Galaxy Collapse) but what can we say when a large majority of the community is voting in favor of them, or asking for it.

We try to be as impartial as possible in decisions regarding quality, and if it's not a complete mess to play, and there's a large portion of the community that will enjoy it in Loved, then who are we as a couple of individuals to veto it against the mass community.

Sorry to hear that those opinions stain your perception of the community as a whole though.
Shaami

[-obee58-] wrote:

ugh, why this one? this mapper has plenty of better beatmaps than this imo
i don't think this should be such a popular map; while the map does do a very good job of matching the song's flow and intensity, it's brought down by many other points.
this is my usual issue with arles difficulties...

1. the jumps are excessive. while i understand it's supposed to be a challenge map, there's hardly any reason to make a song like this have a 8.56 star rating.
tm;dr (too modhelp, didn't read) there are many, many notes where there should not be notes at all

2. the general movement speed of an ideal, interesting version would be lower (1.40 sv or so?) and force snappy movements to each jump based on the music's instruments and singer's voice/pitch, instead of "throw cursor over in this direction, now hit the other side of the screen, now this angle to that note" etc.
tm;dr it's not creative at all

3. there is obviously some thought occasionally put into where objects should go aside from just making large cross-screen jumps, but often the way it's done is just awkward and annoying to play. there are quite a few jumps that go from <2x spacing to 4x spacing and sometimes the other way around (which is worse) and some places where the angles of jumps become >90 degrees without any real justification from the song
tm;dr it's weird to play even if there's no reason for it to be

4. overall this map in particular feels like object vomit all over the sides of the screen, as the rhythms (active/passive) tend to partially ignore the song (in the most intense parts at least) and aesthetics are meh at best/mildly ugly overlaps at worst. it's not even hitsounded smh
tm;dr it looks bad to my eyes and ears

i'm just tired of seeing this kind of map praised and favorited just because cookiezi played it and it's super hard and "woah godmode omg". just because a player is really good at a map does not mean the map is good, it never really has been that way. the big, messy outer community as usual has taken whatever cookiezi and other top players play or say and act like it's the second coming of jesus christ
tm;dr community sucks, it's not good because cookie played it and scored well on it

tbh could forgive half of these if the song was the Hommarju remix

I agree. It doesn't have that 'loved' factor. By loved factor I mean it's fun but unplayable, ridiculous yet has a certain message to it, and insanely difficult but can't be mapped in any other way.This map is only here because it's Favorited by many.So, I vote no.
Kaifin
just keep in mind that we are trying to please everyone!

lots of people enjoy playing this kind of map, and regardless of its difficulty is incredibly playable and well made for top players

note that 94% of people in the vote want this map loved, and it has tons of favourites, which are the two prerequisites for the category! if you have any maps you'd like to see get into the vote instead, please be sure to submit them to the spreadsheet so we can get them in the vote for next time

voting link