forum

[Proposal] Metadata section overhaul

posted
Total Posts
show more
ailv
If the creator of the mapset has done major edits to the .mp3, they are free to name it appropriately to signal that this song is a special version. In this case the original songs must still be clearly indicated in order for players to be able to search for the original songs.
How exactly would the line for "major edits" be drawn? I think this specific part requires additional discussion. I personally would suggest that a major edit constitutes that a given .mp3 is either edited to remove or add additional instruments? I'm not too sure here.

Corner Brackets have to be written as quotation marks instead.
Add an example of what a corner bracket is "⸤ ⸥" and " 「 」 " since there are multiple forms.

Other special characters are to be romanised or dropped on case-by-case basis.
Will these special characters be added to the rc? If not, I would suggest that as they appear on "case-by-case" they be updated.

Brackets within artist or title fields should be separated from the other text surrounding it, unless there is obvious reason not to do so. Reasoning like this would include syntactical use of brackets and the general typesetting of a song title or artist using them without whitespaces often and consistently across multiple platforms.
Can we clarify what the word "separated" refers to in this context? I think it makes more sense to explicitly state that separation should be done using whitespaces, unless there is an obvious reason to not do so. Otherwise title,[stuff] is technically separated by a comma.
Noffy

ailv wrote:

Corner Brackets have to be written as quotation marks instead.
Add an example of what a corner bracket is "⸤ ⸥" and " 「 」 " since there are multiple forms.
That's why it's in the glossary
ailv

Noffy wrote:

That's why it's in the glossary
oh shit im blind, add "⸤ ⸥" still though.
CrystilonZ

Okoratu wrote:

also the source is a unicode field as such it can hold anything we want it to -> the mapper should have the choice to decide which one is shown in the client
The point is that I don't consider the romanised source as being official. Why don't we just stick to the original language since it's clearly a better alternative? There's no need to romanise it to begin with
Topic Starter
Okoratu
oh there is, if you are english speaking and map japanese songs, the source in the top left ingame is unable to be translated at all to tell english speaking people what it is from without sounding cryptic to them
CrystilonZ
Properly crediting the source should take priority here imo. Like there are measures to increase metadata standards so that it credits stuff properly. Replacing titles (even they are in foreign scripts) with unofficial ones is not the best way to credit the source properly.
Sieg
How about official translations, crunchyroll for example?
Sieg
mhm, I can't see any changes about Cyrillic Romanisation in draft. You said it was updated?

Okoratu wrote:

Kurai wrote:

- Cyrillic Romanisation should follow the BGN/PCGN system (except for the letter ё in Russian which should follow the GOST 2002(B) system). Read more here: http://up.kuraip.net/032209ex3724.pdf
can some russians say something about http://up.kuraip.net/032209ex3724.pdf ? it seems to make sense and encompass all things said
That's fine for Russian, but I don't see a reason to apply replace rules from Russian to Ukrainian as it is in draft rn. As for other Cyrillic based languages - we don't write Romanisation of Hieroglyphs\Chinese so I don't see a reason why this done for Cyrillic.

also

pdf wrote:

Hopefully, the BGN/PCGN systems have been built so that Cyrillic can be rendered by using only the basic letters and punctuation found on English language keyboards.
No, some of Cyrillic based languages uses umlauts for Romanisation in BGN/PCGN.
CrystilonZ
just as third party stuff arent accepted as refs imo crunchyroll shouldn't be accepted as well i guess

for cases like games that are released in a lot of regions english names should be okay
ea. both ポケモン超不思議のダンジョン and Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon are fine
Sieg

CrystilonZ wrote:

just as third party stuff arent accepted as refs imo crunchyroll shouldn't be accepted as well i guess

for cases like games that are released in a lot of regions english names should be okay
ea. both ポケモン超不思議のダンジョン and Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon are fine
Can you elaborate why you think this is acceptable for games but e.g. not for anime series?

Crunchyroll wrote:

officially-licensed content from leading Asian media producers directly to viewers translated professionally in multiple languages
CrystilonZ
Titles on crunchyroll are released by a third party company. Licensed or not crunchyroll is still a third party company. This same logic applies to itunes spotify etc. so just keep things to the same standards I guess.
Sieg
well.. localizations for games usually also done by outsourced third party companies, even publishers can differ in regions.
CrystilonZ
Bringing the Mandarin Romanisation up again in this thread. I'll try to summarise every argument made.

Gonna change the wordings a bit and add some stuff to make it more clear

Proposed Rules wrote:

1. Languages in Chinese language family must be Romanised accordingly. Do not Romanise Cantonese texts with Hanyu Pinyin method of Romanisation.
  2. Songs with Mandarin titles and/or Mandarin artists must use the Hanyu Pinyin method of Romanisation when there is no Romanisation or translation information listed by an official source. The ü vowel should be Romanised into u and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields.
  3. For capitalisation and word separation, refer to The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography (汉语拼音正词法基本规则/漢語拼音正詞法基本規則). In short, generally every word should be separated and capitalised. Surname and first name are separated using a space and are capitalised.
  4. Particles (助词) are written separately and should not be capitalised.
our arguments

CrystilonZ wrote:

1. The one-character-one-word method is impractical. Similar to Japanese, one Chinese character does represent one single syllable. However, a word is not necessarily comprised of one syllable (like Japanese, Chinese is a polysyllabic language). For example 图书馆 (túshūguǎn) as a whole means library, and writing 'li bra ry' would defeat the purpose of Romanisation by not resembling the structure of languages using the Roman alphabet.
  2. Using v as the Romanisation of the vowel ü is nonsense. The purpose of Romanisation is to enable players to read titles / artist names written in scripts that are foreign to them. For anyone that does not know Mandarin and/or how pinyin works, Lv Guang (Lü Guang) is just begging to be read as Level Guang.
  3. The current Romanisation method is baseless and irrational considering the linguistic specifities of the Mandarin language. The current method is based on a discussion comprised of a small number of people only.
The difference in pronunciation of u and ü is acknowledged but Romanising a vowel into something like v is most likely not the best idea.

Wafu wrote:

I think it is worth doing a little comparison the current system and the system in the proposal to highlight the pros a bit more.
  1. Current system
    1. Titles are easy read ✘ (most of people will read every syllable as if it was one word)
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✘ (words are easier to remember than separate syllables, humans remember the words easier by their shape)
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✘ (Latin script is alphabetical, therefore separating each syllable doesn't make sense and doesn't read well for majority of Latin script)
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms. Chinese is also not syllabary script, so separating each syllable again doesn't make sense.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✘
    6. Includes tones in Romanised text ✘ (Impossible with characters which we are limited to. You could use "a1", "a2" (redundant) etc., but that would make the text incomprehensible, majority of people wouldn't even know how to pronounce it)
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others which have no evidence of being similar to the intended character. ✘ (ü is replaced with v, which doesn't seem to be supported by any logical argument)
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✘
    9. Isn't related to politics ✘ (Impossible, picking any Romanisation system is picking a side, every Romanisation system is related to politics)
  2. Proposal
    1. Titles are easy read ✔
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✔
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✔
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔
    6. Includes tones in Romanised text ✘ (Impossible with characters which we are limited to. You could use "a1", "a2" (redundant) etc., but that would make the text incomprehensible, majority of people wouldn't even know how to pronounce it)
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✔
    9. Isn't related to politics ✘ (Impossible, picking any Romanisation system is picking a side, every Romanisation system is related to politics)
So far, no issues that aren't solved or would have to be solved were brought up. We obviously accept your opinions, but it must be to the topic and it must be an actual issue that the system has.

Counterarguments and our replies
Counterarguments are in bold
  1. Mandarin does not equal to Chinese. There are various types of Chinese dialects with different Pin Yin Systems. Sometimes the boundaries between Mandarin and other languages within Chinese language family is vague. You need extra rules to clarify this boundary.
    It's not our job to define language boundary. The boundary is already defined my the language itself. The "Mandarin does not equal to Chinese" was acknowledged since the beginning.

===
  2. China Mainland, Taiwan and other regions (maybe) utilizes different kind of systems of romanisation. "Official" in the international standard means P.R.C. Official. Yet the standard from Chinese mainland is not fully utilized in Taiwan. Let alone other regions. It is not like Japanese, which is shared by only one country.
    This is not at all our concern. The Romanisation system we picked is to resemble the way our other Romanisation systems (like Modified Hepburn) read, to ensure more uniformity and readability for a regular player who knows only the Latin alphabet. We don't care what is official somewhere else, because that's not the community this is directed at.

===
  3. Spacing each word/idiom is hard to implement. Word-by-Word Romanisation is better because no problem will arise.
    If problems regarding word separation arise (for example there are two possible ways to Romanise a particular phrase/word), a research must be done to determine which way is more preferable like what we do with the Romanisation of Japanese. Using word-by-word Romanistation is not fixing the problem but rather making it worse. Romanising them syllable by syllable will yield the exact same Romanisation for both contexts/meanings. That doesn't only mean the problem is not fixed (the text still may not align with what the meaning is supposed to be), it also means introducing second problem (now, the meaning is completely undetectable).

===
  4. Han Yu Pin Yin is also involved within political issues, which of course should be considered if you would like to establish a rule of it.
    This is just pure fallacy.
=======
p/6443024 if anyone wants the full version
Fycho

Proposed Rules wrote:

1. Songs with Mandarin titles and/or Mandarin artists must use the Hanyu Pinyin method of Romanisation when there is no Romanisation or translation information listed by an official source. The ü vowel should be Romanised into u and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields. There is a vowel that is "u", using "u" for "ü" just mess up them, currently there are not better choice other than "v". And only at very a few cases, it may use 'yu' for people name, and it's arguable, but I am not able to consider this is suitable to represent all the "ü"
Below are copied from my post from originally thread, this is some explanation and fact about Chinese:

Chinese is pictograph which is different from phonogram like English. Romanising “我的未来式” to "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be better reading or having more meaning than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi". When we read "Weilaishi", we have to spend time splitting the word, and translate them to characters in our minds, which has no difference from "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", both of them are not intuitive except "我的未来式" because Latin letters are used as marking, they don't stand for meaning to read, and as don't expect Chinese speakers read the Pinyin/other-type-romanisation articles, that's impossible and unreadable. Therefore, using English as example (eg, simple okay => si mp le o k ay') is meaningless. Also, "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be easier to search songs than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", players would spend more time to think how to search songs, because most title are hard to find a way to be divided into words (although they use chracters to search at most time).

Below are that I disagree: (blue are my replies)

Wafu wrote:

1. Current system
    1. Titles are easy read ✘ (most of people will read every syllable as if it was one word)
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✘ (words are easier to remember than separate syllables, humans remember the words easier by their shape)
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✘ (Latin script is alphabetical, therefore separating each syllable doesn't make sense and doesn't read well for majority of Latin script)
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms. Chinese is also not syllabary script, so separating each syllable again doesn't make sense.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✘
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others which have no evidence of being similar to the intended character. ✘ (ü is replaced with v, which doesn't seem to be supported by any logical argument)
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✘
  2. Proposal
    1. Titles are easy read ✔ sorry but as a Chinese speaker I don't think they are not easier to read than current seperated romanisation format
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✔ They are not easier to remember than current seperated romanisation from a Chinese speaker side as well
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✔Latin script isn't fittable to Chinese, Pinyin system is much better from my side too
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔explained above, for Chinese characters, Pinyin or any other romanisation system doesn't have any meaning at all, it's just a way to use as mark for Mandarin
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔ as the pinyin or anyother romanisation/latin letters (they are just used as mark as I said)doesn't stand for meaning, this feels unnecessary
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✔ Dialects don't have an official way of writing formally, even in HK, schools teach the Mandarin grammar and write standard Chinese grammar while only use cantonese as a pronuciation. There wouldn't be songs that use dialects as song titile and artist, so they don't need to be romanised at any case.
CrystilonZ
ü is a vowel in pinyin system therefore should be replaced with a vowel. If I am a typical english speaking person how am I going to pronounce stuff like Lv? If you believe there is a better alternative I really want to hear it. imo changing a vowel into a consonant just renders phrases cryptic.

I am aware that Chinese characters are logograms and languages that use the Latin alphabet are phonograms. However, Romanisation is transcribing languages in other scripts in Latin script and thus should follow grammatical rules of languages that use the Latin script: spaces separate words; not syllables. Mandarin is polysyllabic (to people that think that it's monosyllabic - f u); some words contain more than one syllable.
I don't believe players will spend more time to search for Mandarin songs when the new Romanisation rules have been applied. Chineses probably use Chinese characters to search for stuff. However, for the majority of osu players who don't speak chinese the new rules make titles feel more familiar because they are categorised into words, like English, and should spend less time searching for a particular map.
If you say both "Wo de Weilaishi" and "Wo De Wei Lai Shi" are pretty much the same for Chinese people as they are both counter-intuitive. Why do you oppose the proposed rules then? They might not improve stuff for the Chinese but for the english speaking players they will make the Romanised titles much more appealing.

Fycho wrote:

Wafu wrote:

Proposal
  1. Titles are easy read ✔ sorry but as a Chinese speaker I don't think they are not easier to read than current seperated romanisation form As stated above they are easier for the majority of the player base and they are not harder to read for the Chinese. That means no cons just pros.
  2. Titles are easy to remember ✔ They are not easier to remember than current seperated romanisation from a Chinese Speaker side as well
  3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✔Latin script isn't fittable to Chinese, Pinyin system is much better from my side too
  5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔explained above, for Chinese characters, Pinyin or any other romanisation system doesn't have any meaning at all, it's just a way to use as mark for Mandarin I think the point here is about homophones and stuff. Same sequence of pronunciation might produce two (or more) different meanings. Separating Romanised titles into words should help with the comprehensibility.
  7. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔ as the pinyin or anyother romanisation/latin letters (they are just used as mark as I said)doesn't stand for meaning, this feels unnecessary speaking about u and v here. v is just impossible to pronounce. I'm always open for a better alternative.
  8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✔ This is only about Mandarin, dialects are not included. (Cantonese, Wu-Chinese(Shanghainese, Suzhou Hua, Wuxi , HangZhou), Jiang–Huai Mandarin, Southern Fujian Dialect, Hakka Dialect, etc don't need to be discussed for now this is speaking about the new rule. Languages in Chinese language family must be Romanised accordingly. This opens room for other Chinese languages to use suitable Romanisation systems, not restricting all Chinese languages to one bad system which may or may not fit the language.
Fycho
Romanising "ü" to "u" completely messes up things.
吕 => Lü
鲁 => Lu
雨 => Yu
currently there aren't better choice other than "v", and "v" is the way that major input keyboard use.

CrystilonZ wrote:

I think the point here is about homophones and stuff. Same sequence of pronunciation might produce two (or more) different meanings. Separating Romanised titles into words should help with the comprehensibility.
Romanisation provides no meanings, both "Wei Lai Shi" and "Weilaishi" are just a mark of "未来式"(logograms), in the meaning, there is no different between "Wei Lai Shi" and "Weilaishi". "Weilaishi" doesn't help the comprehensibility for both people who speak Chinese and don't speak Chinese. For Chinese people needs to spend time switching them to characters, for non-Chinese people, it's just mark/pronunciation of "未来式", they don't have the meaning. They could use "Wei Lai Shi" to search, they don't speak Chinese how can they know "Weilaishi" is a whole word?

Since the romanization of Chinese(include dialects) is much more complex than other languages, I think it's better to have a good knowledge/research of them before revising old rules and doing a proposal.
Hollow Wings
OK, what a mess.

just wanna warning: my post will be long.
check it as detail as you can to know about Chinese language and its romanisation, if you wanna get involved into this.

A. Important things about Chinese Romanisation

I. "ISO 7098:2015".
1st thing of all, know things about ISO 7098:2015 as much as you can.
ISO 7098:2015 explains the principles of the Romanization of Modern Chinese Putonghua (Mandarin Chinese), the official language of the People's Republic of China as defined in the Directives for the Promotion of Putonghua, promulgated on 1956-02-06 by the State Council of China. This International Standard can be applied in documentation of bibliographies, catalogues, indices, toponymic lists, etc.
all contents in this document are important, you may know some before. and there's two parts i wanna specially mention for you, they are like:
1. In automatic romanizing working progress, there're two ways for Chinese Romanisation:
a. semi-automatic romanisation from Chinese words separated by following proper rules.
b. automatic romanisation from Chinese characters one by one.
2. During this period of time, most of other countries aside of PRC can't fully accept that romanizing Chinese characters into separated words according to combinations between Chinese characters, because the works of finding and dealing with the concept of Chinese words are complex, also the grammar of Chinese sentence can even blur it.
after thousand of thoughts, they decide to do the romanization work from Chinese characters one by one.

↑ this is my opening, just mark it and go on.

II. How special Chinese is as a kind of language.

according to the way characters comprise words, languages can be divided into alphabetic language and ideographic language, with alphabet and ideogram as their own characters.

a. alphabetic language is simple, most of you can easily know its concept. also, most of languages exist now, are alphabetic language. they are comprised with proper alphabet of their own. as i known:
  1. Cyrillic alphabet (eg. Russian)
  2. Hebrew characters (eg. Hebrew)
  3. Arabic alphabet (eg. Arabic)
  4. Armenian character (eg. Armenian)
  5. Georgian character (eg. Georgian)
  6. Old Geez abjad (eg. Old Geez) ←already dead
  7. Devanagari script (eg. Sanskrit)
  8. Tamil alphabet (eg. Tamil)
  9. Kana script (eg. Japanese)
  10. Hangul script (eg. Korean)
  11. Thai script (eg. Thai)
  12. Tibetan script (eg. Tibetan)
  13. Mongolian script (eg. Mongolian)
... and tons of other alphabetic languages which may not be widely used or just dead.
b. ideographic language is like, every single character was born from some exact thing or matter, this is very different from alphabetic language.
however, as i known, language that is ideographic language are:
  1. Egyptian hieroglyphs (eg. Ancient Egyptian) ←already dead
  2. Cuneiform script (eg. Ancient Sumerian) ←already dead
  3. Seal hieroglyphs (eg. Ancient Indian) ←already dead
  4. Maya hieroglyphs (eg. Ancient Mayan) ←already dead
  5. Chinese characters (eg. Chinese)
and NO MORE.
if you want to know why language system is like that, then that's a long story, i wont start telling them here.
the reason i pick up those truth above, is because i want you guys know the chinese language's specificity and leading to how different romanisation is done between alphabetic language and ideographic language.

III. “Transliteration” and “Transcription”
1. still, let's see what the most important 12 international transliteration standards aside of Chiniese's are:
  1. ISO 9-1995: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Cyrillic characters into Latin characters – Slavic and non-Slavic languages
  2. ISO 233-1984: Documentation: Transliteration of Arabic characters into Latin Characters
  3. ISO 233-2-1993: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Arabic characters into Latin characters – Part 2: Arabic language – Simplified transliteration
  4. ISO 233-2-1999: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Arabic characters into Latin characters – Part 3: Persian language – Simplified transliteration
  5. ISO 259-1984: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Hebrew characters into Latin characters
  6. ISO 259-2-1994: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Hebrew characters into Latin characters--Part 2: Simplified transliteration
  7. ISO 3602-1989: Documentation: Romanization of Japanese (kana script)
  8. ISO 9984-1996: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Georgian character into Latin characters
  9. ISO 9985-1996: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Armenian characters into Latin characters
  10. ISO 11940-1998: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Thai
  11. ISO 15919-2001: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Devanagari and related Indic characters into Latin characters
  12. ISO TR 11941-1996: Information and Documentation: Transliteration of Korean scripts into Latin characters
see? these nearly contained all of alphabetic language i've mentioned before.
and because of that, transliteration between their scripts and Latin characters can be easily done, no matter which one's character set is larger.
and again, because of that, retransliteration can be done easily as well. also, this is the basic rule of transliteration.

for example: Cyrillic word "окружающая среда" (means "envirment") can be directly conversed into "okruzhayushchaya sreda" with its proper transliteration rule:
о→o
к→k
р→r
у→u
ж→zh
а→a
ю→yu
щ→shch (even used four Latin characters to make sure there's no various meaning)
а→a
я→ya
с→s
р→r
е→e
д→d
а→a
↑really simple right? just do automatic transliteration and all works will be perfect.
conversely, if you see "okruzhayushchaya sreda" in Latin characters, you can do transliteration that make it "окружающая среда" with no trouble. the transliteration is reversible.
follow the rule and i can do this even i know nothing about Cyrillic characters or Russian.
like i see "обстановка" i can transliterate it into "obstanovka" directly, even thou i have no idea what that word means.

this situation is also perfect match to all transliteration works between Latin characters and other alphabetic language.

2. now, let's see Chinese.
remember the word "envirment"?
in Chinese, it's "环境“.
now tell me, how can you transliterate it into Latin characters, even if you know the transliteration rule and Pinyin system very well?

the deep reason of the transliteration work can be easily done between Latin characters and other alphabetic language, is that their character set is really small.
there're 26 Latin characters in total.
and there're 38 Cyrillic alphabet in total.
it's easy to do the mathematic mapping between them (even using 4 words like "shch" for "щ") and build an easy rule for transliteration system.

how much Chinese characters are there?
- at least 80 thousand. and still as much as 8 thousand frequently used ones.
because it's a kind of, or i want to say, the only living ideographic language.

so what?
so, that effects romanisation very much.
it has a completely different level of buiding a romanisation rule to what alphabetic languages do.
Transliteration won't do, we need to do "Transcription".
when we do transcription from Chinese characters into Latin characters, we need to use Pinyin system to help us.
there're 405 syllable, so yeah, we can finally do it, with similar rules as alphabetic languages did:
it's easy to transcript Chinese characters' pingyin into Latin characters.
like "环境" reads "Huan Jing" (i decide to get rid of phonetic symbols for pinyin for now, before it become more complex.), then that's the exact Latin version of that Chinese word.

however, this is not reversible.
for example, if i see "Huan Jing" in Latin characters for pinyin, i can't transcript into Chinese.
i don't know if it is "环境" or "幻境" or "幻镜" or whatever other thousands of possible meanings.
all Latin characters of pinyin will occur that, and it means all of them can have various meanings.

if it's a sentence, the situation will be worse.
for example: "Wu Huan Jing Ran Zhe Me Yuan", which has "Huan Jing" in it.
but it's chinese is: "五环竟然这么远", which means "Fifth ring road is unexpectly far from here"... which has 0 connection to "环境“(envirment).

we chinese ourselves even cant understand what those words said in a short time, if they are all written in Latin characters of pinyin one by one.
and this just mess this whole system up.

there're already lots of chinese language specialists noticed this, and all i've written above are all old age conversations.
they already gave a solve: do romanisation from Chinese words separated by following proper rules.
like, if i met "环境", i transcript it into "huanjing".
thou there're still lots of varity meaning, words can be clearly recognized in a Latin character line.
we can easily pick up two or three Latin characters of pinyin which can be combined as a Chinese word, that helped reading the sentence a lot.

wonderful right?
not really...

basic Chinese grammar is simple, just like English maybe.
but, for Chinese language's own ideographic language property: every characters, and their combinations of words, and interchanges/flexible uses happened among them, can make all those meanings different.
and what's more, that just produced a lot works of dealing "what is proper Chinese words".

examples to show how hard transcription into separated words method can be:
a. "他好说话" in Chinese, its pinyin written one by one is "Ta Hao Shuo Hua".
one version of meaning: "他 好说话" means "he is an easy going person", and the separated version of transcription is "Ta Haoshuohua".
another version of meaning:" 他 好 说话" means "he is volubility", and the separated version of transcription is "Ta Hao Shuohua".
b. "他谁都赢不了“ in Chinese, its pinyin written one by one is "Ta Shui Dou Ying Bu Liao".
one version of meaning: "他 谁都赢不了" means "he can beat nobody", and one version of meaning: "他 谁 都赢不了" means "nobody can beat him". sadly, i don't even know how to transcript that sentence into correct Latin characters of pinyin, before i studied deep into the The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography (汉语拼音正词法基本规则) or other rules like that..
and by the way, not all of that rule is solid. rules of pinyin usually changes to fit more special situations.

that shows how complex we gonna deal with Chinese words:
it's already complex enough to have those sentence understood, it'll drive we people crazy if you ask them to romanize it with words separated.
like if i saw "五环境内": i'm gonna get rid of my intuition with the obvious word "环境"(enviroment) and analyse the sentence; then i know it should be regarded as "五环 境内"(within fifth ring road precinct); then finally i output the result "Wuhuan Jingnei". this is already sick, even with 4 simple Chinese characters.
if i saw things like "阴晴圆缺", ”七里香", "非常道" which has vague concept in various Chinese language system (i'll mention this later in detail), i'll easily be mad if someone ask me romanize it.
i'm sure most Chinese CAN'T do this very well, and i think other foreigners will be worse at it for sure.

although the method of transcription from Chinese separated words helps people read Chinese sentences easier, it's a really really tough work to do that transcription.
besides, there's no official standards of transcription yet. that orthography of rules just help people do it, but will not automatically do it.

(what's more discouraging, is that Chinese words sometimes dont have exact meaning.
that'll be further complex, i'll just stop here.)

all those truth above stated that: transcription of Chiniese characters into Latin characters is a really tired and tough work to do. it cost lots of dedication and time, and required rich reserve of Chinese language knowledge, which not much of people can do.
it's all because Chinese is a kind of ideographic language, you need to know the exact meaning of every morpheme by analysing the whole sentence before you separate those characters into exact words, if you really want separated Latin characters after transcription.

B. Relation to osu community nomination system

CrystilonZ wrote:

Other languages that use the Chinese script are irrelevant to this proposal.
We are only talking about Standard Mandarin here and Mandarin is not equivalent to Chinese.
We only use 'Chinese' in the draft for simplicity. The wording will be changed if this is implemented.
↑i don't know if CrystilonZ know the whole Chinese language family clear enough, so i'll add some additional things as basic background knowledge here.
ISO 639 code sets
Documentation for ISO 639 identifier: zho
Identifier: zho
Name: Chinese
Code sets: 639-2/T and 639-3
Equivalents: 639-1: zh
639-2/B: chi
Scope: Macrolanguage
Type: Living
Denotation: See corresponding entry in Ethnologue.
The individual languages within this macrolanguage are
  1. Gan Chinese [gan] → 赣语
  2. Hakka Chinese [hak] → 客家话
  3. Huizhou Chinese [czh] → 惠州话
  4. Jinyu Chinese [cjy] → 晋语
  5. Literary Chinese [lzh] → 文言文
  6. Mandarin Chinese [cmn] → 官话(普通话)
  7. Min Bei Chinese [mnp] → 闽北话
  8. Min Dong Chinese [cdo] → 闽东话
  9. Min Nan Chinese [nan] → 闽南话
  10. Min Zhong Chinese [czo] → 闽中话
  11. Pu-Xian Chinese [cpx] → 莆仙话
  12. Wu Chinese [wuu] → 吴语
  13. Xiang Chinese [hsn] → 湘语
  14. Yue Chinese [yue] → 粤语
ok, so, things above are just for electric area. there're still lots of other native language in PRC.
and i just don't post PRC's official native language list here, in case make things more complex.

since people like CrystilonZ may insist that Mandarin Chinese is the main target and other Chinese systems have none business with it, let's start from the concept level of "macrolanguage":
it actually has a property of "same standard pronunciation and style of writing".
and to Chinease as the macrolanguage, its standard, is just Mandarin Chinese.

so the truth is, all Chinese language families DO has a common standard, and also with hundreds and thousands of connection to it. when you are talking about some other Chinese family menbers, it always be effected by Mandarin system, which is the exact center of the whole topic.
if you wanna get rid of every other Chinese language families, then you need to give another complete romanisation rule, to solve some problems may happened in transcription process. otherwise, Mandarin Chinese's is automatically an official solving way. in case of that, be shall be care about this one's effection to other Chinese language families.

and also, the so called "Cantonese" is actually a concept of "languages spoken in Guangdong Province“, contained "Min Zhong Chinese", "Hakka Chinese“ and "Yue Chinese". people just usually use its narrow sense of concept: almost regard "Cantonese" as "Yue Chinese".
what's more, native language spoken in Taiwan is a kind of Min Nan Chinese, in case some ignorant one jumps out.

with all those knowledges above, we can move on:

I. How to deal with Mandarin Chinese transcription with words from other Chinese language families, but also already became a part of it?

1. Chinese archaism

it's a part of Literary Chinese, but also become a part of Mandarin Chinese.
some of them even changed meaning, and it's hard to distinguish.
if Literary Chinese is regarded as another individual language aside of Mandarin Chinese, then when meet words like "空穴来风", "闭门造车", "人尽可夫", etc, how to deal with these?

2. multi-Chinese based songs

for example, there's a Chinese song called "好心分手", one of its version is sang by both Yue Chinese and Mandarin Chinese.
so Yue Chinese romanized version is "Hou Sam Fan Sau/Housam Fansou" (actually this is jupting, a special kind of pinyin)
and Mandarin Chinese romanized version is "Hao Xin Fen Shou/Haoxin Fenshou".
both of them are spoken exactly correct, then how to deal with these?

3. with Chinese families that no romanisation rules supported
for example, there's a Chinese song called "外滩18号", which is sang by three kind of Chinese language: Mandarin Chinese, Wu Chinese and "Southwestern Hakka" (an official native Chinese language of PRC).
so it can be romanized like:
Mandarin Chinese: "Wai Tan Shi Ba Hao/Waitan Shibahao"
Wu Chinese: "Nga Thae Tze Ba O/Ngathae Tzebao"
Southwestern Hakka Chinese: "Vai Tan Si Ba Hao/Vaitan Sibahao"
i'm not sure if those ones are correct (just typed here with searching dictionary of native romanisation) aside of Mandarin ones, but it can still have chance to have the romanisation of their own part, right?
then how to deal with these?

II. Even if we shall transcript Mandarin Chinese from separated words into Latin characters, who is the one help those mappers mapping a Chinese song?

it has some part:
  1. is this a Mandarin Chinese song?
    - maybe from official settings or sites, not a big deal. but will not do if you map some cult song.
  2. how to get the right romanized characters?
    - ask some Chinese staff/mapper/player? i doult any of them have time/ability to do it.
  3. how to make sure those things i got is correct?
    - some kind of same as the one above, if that person exsist and can do his job endlessly, he will be really welcomed to this system.
you may think most of Chinese words may not complex like that, but if you wanna build a reasonable system for rules, it should be strict.
and it's not you become the person who do this kind of work, you can hardly imagine if it's hard to do it or not.

C. Summary

I. Opinions

1. even international level groups can't do lots of romanisation for Mandarin-Latin transcription from separated words.
it's feasible, for it's truth. but it's efficiency is really really badly low.
Chinese staffs will be weary/tired out to death if they really do this. because as you see what i've explained, it's a tough work with a tough progress to do.

also i even can predict that someone wanna find a right answer of correct Mandarin romanisaton for month, and still dqed after he found the answer he got is still wrong. then it may block people mapping Chinese songs, personally i think that's really a bad news.

2. Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese has standard romanisation rules, but not other Chinese families. it's hard to complete one of you don't care all of them, for every single one of them has a common standard pronunciation and style of writing: Mandarin Chinese.

in case of that, rebuilding the Mandarin Chinese romanisation system in to a better and complete one will be a really hard work to do, and it's for sure out of osu community's range.

3. Chinese osu community already argued this for several times long time ago, and the result is still: keep the current state.

II. Conclusion

do romanisation from one by one Mandarin Chinese characters is the best way SO FAR.
until we find some genius invent a dictionary of Mandarin-Chinese-characters-Latin-characters romanisation, and upgrade the efficiency a lot more than current one.
and also, this is the exact thing what international groups do right now. (they only combine proper nouns like people's or place's name, etc.)

--------------

simple extra p.s. here:
to CrystilonZ, and other people who know little things about Chinese:

i think you had some wrong idea about Chinese characters, for i've seen written these:

CrystilonZ wrote:

Similar to Japanese, one Chinese character does represent one single syllable. However, a word is not necessarily comprised of one syllable (like Japanese, Chinese is a polysyllabic language).For example 图书馆 (túshūguǎn) as a whole means library, and writing 'li bra ry' would defeat the purpose of Romanisation by not resembling the structure of languages using the Roman alphabet.
Chinese is far different from Japanese. the syllable thing you are talking about may be just the differences between Japanese's Hiragana or Katagana, but not that true for Kanji part.
(btw, you may already know that a part of Japanese language system is just the exact Chinese.)

and now after reading all things i wrote above, you may know Chinese is not only a kind of polysyllabic language, but also the only living ideographic language.
"图书馆" reads "tú shū guǎn" and means "library", true.
However, "图书" reads "tú shū" and means "library book" or just “(picture) book", you ever know that?
this is far different from that you can't separate an English word in most cases: but you DO can separate a Chinese word, because every single character of Chinese can be a word.
eg.
图→graph, graphic, or lots of other meanings;
书→book, writing, letter, or lots of other meanings;
馆→shop, embassy, galleries or any building that showing something it wants to.

so, the one-character-one-word method is a solid reasonable metod for Chinese romanisation.

with knowledge of these, hope you can restructure your idea about Chinese, for helping you understand previous romanisation part.

--------------

hope all of these things could help you know more about Chinese romanisation.

also if you have any confusion about anything above, you are always welcomed to ask.
Mafumafu
Regarding the Romanisation of Mandarin, I would like to post my comments here.

Firstly I would like to start with the following proposal:

Proposed Rules wrote:

The ü vowel should be Romanised into u and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields.

CrystilonZ wrote:

speaking about u and v here. v is just impossible to pronounce. I'm always open for a better alternative.
Please understand first, if you want to change the current rule, namely from ü to u, you have to prove yourself FIRST u is a better choice than v, instead of announcing you are going to change it to “u” while asking us to provide a better choice. There are plenty of letters and characters could be chosen, why you chose u? Just because they look similar after omitting the you called “diacritical tone mark”? I don’t think that is a reliable reason for this change as only judging by visual appearance is pretty unprofessional when talking about romanization. Additionally, Fycho has already mentioned the potential mess that might result from changing v to u, indicating that this entry within the proposal is not only pros. Therefore, prior to this discussion, you should not simply saying “The ü vowel should be Romanised into u…” and explain this change only by why “ü” cannot be implemented by the current system due to technical difficulties but to explain why “u” is better than “v” with valid reason, ( “u” can be pronounced is not a valid reason: there are many characters that could be pronounced, like a e I o and some bi-characters like yu, which is mentioned by Fycho. All of them have pros and cons, why do you gave preference to u in thisdraft?), as well as how you are going to address potential problems if this “u” proposal is implemented.

Again, if you would like to change the current criteria, try to form up solid reasons and show people why your proposal is better than the current. Saying “I am going to change this into that, if you don’t have better choices then this will be the new criteria.” sounds pretty irrelevant, illogic, and showing kind of manipulation toward criteria about Romanization of Mandarin.

I would like to proceed to comparison between current and proposed system in the previous discussion:

Previous Discussion wrote:

1. Current system
  2. Proposal
I don’t think with the proposal, titles are easier to read and remember.
How do you expect speakers who don’t know how to pronounce “ü“, “v” and “u” to differentiate syllables and words under Romanisation of Mandarin?

For non-Mandarin speakers, there are no differences regarding readability between “Wo De Wei Lai Shi” and “Wo de Weilaishi” or any other combinations like “Wode Weilai Shi”. They have no idea what is a syllable and what is a word. If you think words are easier to remember (you did not post any proof or research regarding this either), why can’t a player treat the syllables as words? Now that the player have no idea what you are reading is word or syllable. There are less syllables than words in total, they should be more easier to read and memorize!

Additionally, about a post in previous discussion thread:

For my thoughts on the matter I don't understand how romanising 学不会 to Xue Bu Hui is more informative than Xue Buhui or Xuebuhui. Word separation can be ambiguous at times but whether you write Xue Buhui or Xuebuhui it's more informative than the Xue Bu Hui according to the current RC.
I think the current Romanizing method is more informative. At least, they are equal regarding informative from the Latin language-wide. Let me raise an example:

Current you have a title like this:
best pro po sal e ver
And you admit that word separation can be ambiguous at times, so we could actually have those with the proposed criteria:

Bestpro posale ver, or
Bestpro po salever, or even
Bestproposalever

Though they seem illogic in English, yet they are both possible when it comes to Mandarin.
Back to Xue Bu Hui, in Mandarin we don’t mark them in words. It is written as 学不会 in which 学 stands for Xue, 不 stands for Bu and 会 stands for Hui. No marks are used to define words like 学[不会] Xue Buhui or [学不会] Xuebuhui because either has a unique and reasonable meaning. Thus readers could understand the multi-layer meaning by themselves with flexibility regarding different kind of meanings. If you would like to choose Xue Buhui or Xuebuhui, you are misleading player to only one type of meaning, providing narrower range of information.

Also, I don’t see any feasible clarifications or methodologies of “separating with words” within this draft. The references linked are only providing insufficient examples, which is far from being enough and completion.

1. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms.)
  2. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔
  3. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔
These statements are also problematic.
First, In formal Chinese writing, there is no logograms as well. And split syllables when romanization does fit the rules of Chinese script, as I’ve mentioned above: Syllables in Chinese also own meaning, or rather, syllables and words are not mutual exclusive. And also, the proposed method failed to differentiate between different romanizations either. Nor could the proposed change could resolve the third issue listed, as mentioned above.

So the table of proposal in fact should be modified like this:
  1. Proposal
    1. Titles are easy read ✘
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✘
    3. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘
    4. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✘
    5. Includes tones in Romanised text ✘
    6. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✘
    7. Isn't related to politics ✘
    8. Easy for non-Mandarin speakers/players to search in the beatmap list. ✘
    9. Avoid mislead players about the meaning of title. ✘
    10. Provide a practical or feasible method of romanization. ✘
CrystilonZ
holy molly what the heck
ok I'll try to answer stuff to my best capabilities.
I don't know why there are so many points brought up because basically there are only 2 changes.
1. Stuff are now categorised into words not syllables.
2. v --> u (changed)
Other than that we just made the rules more clear and more standardised.

and that's pretty much it. Any other problems that you guys mention are still there even though there are no changes made to the RC. If you want to bring up other Chinese languages as well please be informed that this new proposal addresses other Chinese languages better than the old one. The new proposed rules make sure texts in Hanzi script are not overgeneralised and get the appropriate Romanisation (ea. you can use Jyutping or whatever for Cantonese stuff). As stated in the old thread we are trying to propose a better Romanisation system, not a perfect one. Though this new proposal does not address all the problems in the world, I have firm belief that it's better than the old one.

Tbh I haven't seen any arguments supporting v as an alternative of ü except "v is used as the input for ü on most keyboards" which is not very sensible to be used as a reason here.
Here are my reasons for why u is better than v as a substitution of ü.
1. In the pinyin system ü is pronounced with /y/ kinda like the germanic ü. Germanic umlauts are romanised with two-letter equivalents (ue for ü). However stuff like lüe exists in the pinyin system and if it were to be romanised with the same two-letter equivalent the result would be luee which is nonsensical.
2. u that pronounced with ü exists in the pinyin system already. Stuff like xuan are pronounced with the ü vowel, not u. Though this is limited to j, x and q.
3. How the heck are nv or lv pronounced (do not pronounce nü or lü instead)? It's basically impossible. Can't even represent them with IPA stuff.

However substituting ü with yu might also be a great alternative because it has all the same pros that u does over v (stuff like yue exist as well) and additionally it doesn't change both nü and nu into nu. So if there are no further problems regarding pronunciation and ambiguity arise, I'm going to revise the proposal.
  1. Songs with Mandarin titles and/or Mandarin artists must use the Hanyu Pinyin method of Romanisation when there is no Romanisation or translation information listed by an official source. The ü vowel should be substituted with yu and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields.
With backing reasons as follows
  1. Replacing ü with yu exists in the pinyin system already. Yue (ea. 月) is pronounced like üe.
  2. Nyu lyu and the likes can be pronounced by a normal english speaking person and the pronunciation is, though not ideal, quite close to the actual ü.
  3. Replacing ü with yu is seen in practical use among Chinese people as well.
  4. The substituted Romanised texts can be easily traced back to the original pinyin (with umlauts) and don't cause any ambiguity.
I hope this new substitution satisfies both parties.

[]

Moving on to the replying stuff. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hollow Wings wrote:

1. In automatic romanizing working progress, there're two ways for Chinese Romanisation:
a. semi-automatic romanisation from Chinese words separated by following proper rules.
2. During this period of time, most of other countries aside of PRC can't fully accept that romanizing Chinese characters into separated words according to combinations between Chinese characters, because the works of finding and dealing with the concept of Chinese words are complex, also the grammar of Chinese sentence can even blur it.
after thousand of thoughts, they decide to do the romanization work from Chinese characters one by one.
For point 1. I just don't see how this is related to our discussion. " In automatic romanizing working progress"
2. Can you quote the exact words from the document? also all the reasons as stated in the standard as well. I couldn't read it while working on the proposal because 115 swiss franc is hella expensive.

Hollow Wings wrote:

and NO MORE.
if you want to know why language system is like that, then that's a long story, i wont start telling them here.
the reason i pick up those truth above, is because i want you guys know the chinese language's specificity and leading to how different romanisation is done between alphabetic language and ideographic language.
Read more about ideograms here. These are logograms. Modern Chinese characters are logographic.

A number of lines after this are about pinyin being a method of transcription. No comments there this is acknowledged since the beginning that this is just the way to pronounce stuff. And the next few lines are about Mandarin having a lot of homophones.

Hollow Wings wrote:

This is not exactly true. If it were Mandarin would have been dead a long while ago because the only way to communicate would be carrying a crap ton of paper with you at all time and write stuff when you want to communicate.
In English context it would be equivalent to you guys seeing or hearing /tīm/ (IPA stuff. This reads time). Intuitively the first thing that come into your heads would be the time. Tick-tock clocky stuff. However under different contexts:
"Can you buy me some /tīm/. I'm going to use it to cook dinner." In this case /tīm/ is the herb thyme.
"I don't have enough /tīm/ to do my homework. It's due tomorrow." In this case it's "time"
"Two /tīm/ two equal four." In this context it means multiply. 10/10 grammar.
As you can see they are reversible with context. And when you guys speak to each other you're actively tracing back to the original Hanzi characters using their pronunciation. Therefore, saying that it is not reversible is not true. It's harder in Mandarin (410 syllables - crap tons of words. Do the maths) but the fact that there are people speaking Mandarin proves the fact that it's possible.

[]

Gonna stop here for now as it's getting really late. Further replies will be given by Wafu or me. Whoever that gets some free time will reply more to other stuff.
abraker
Any thoughts about mapping style or patterns the maps have being in tags?
Shima Rin

abraker wrote:

Don't you see that you are in the wrong topic.
Fycho
The main arguments are listed below:
  1. If we romanise Chinese title in word-by-word way(each character must be romanised into a single, capitalised, separated word) or generally every word should be separated and capitalised according to The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography.
  2. If using "yu" or "u" for the romanisation of the vowel "ü".
  3. If we need to distinguish dialects from Mandarin in romanisation.
For the first point, I recommend everybody has a read about ISO7098:2015 before sharing opinions, the romanisation of Chinese is much complex than others, which needs a lot of professional knowledges about Chinese. The new proposal can't stand “a word or phrase with double or more meanings”. For example, specific examples like "他谁都打不过", it's used intentionally to represent two meanings that are "Nobody can beat him" and "He can beat everybody", "Ta / Shui / Dou Da Bu Guo" and "Ta / Shui Dou Da Bu Guo". And it wouldn't be easier to be remember / read to Chinese / non-Chinese speakers. I am not going for detail, as someone would like to give more professional explanations.

For the second point, currently, "v" stands a lot. "ü" is one-word vowel, it works differently in pronunciation from two-words-vowel like "iu", "an", "ie", "üe", "ai", "ao", etc... We use "YU" for "ü" only in passport and other specific cases, because the passport require a captial letter about the name and "ü" doesn't have captial case. In other ways, there are still "v". For one-word vowel, "v" is the most common and familiar letter and it's officially supprted, and that is what the input keyboard uses in majority. I believe using "yu" for "ü" only makes it easier to read than "v" for non-Chinese speakers, but it's technically wrong, there aren't any other beneficial cases. The "u" of syllable "yu" is vowel "ü" actually and technically, but for "j / q / x / y / w", we use "u" for "ü", but it doesn't mean "u" can completely stand for "ü", and don't mean it's "yu" can stand for "ü", "y" isn't a vowel in Pinyin system at all, "y" is a consonant that has the same pronunciation as vowel "i", meanwhile "iu" and "yu" are completely two different things. In the pinyin system, "vowels" couldn't be made from "consonant". That means, By no means could "yu" become a two-word vowel, and could "yu" be used for romanisation which disobeying the language systems totally. "v" works best at the moment.

For the third point, is it necessary to distinguish dialects from Mandarin in romanisation. As all of us know, dialects are different in pronunciation, and some have different grammars. However, all the dialects don't have an official written format, and all the dialects do have a relation with Mandarin. A lot of Chinese characters words that are stand by all the dialects, like "好心分手", you can't know if it's Mandarin or Wu-Chinese or Cantonese unless someone pronounces it, but officially and technically we can't differ and figure out what it is, and it's just modern standard Chinese, and we romanise it in a standard way. Personally, I am a dialect-used person, and I can speak Wu-Chinese and Mandarin well. The major issue is there aren't any official way that we can write the dialect. This is because, It's not like the Japanese dialects, Japanese (Hirakana, Katakana) are same as lantin scripts, which are phonograms, however Chinese characters are ideographic and ideogram, this mades Chinese characters can't be used to represent the pronunciation to dialects, and decides that there wouldn't be any officially written form dialects, and there wouldn't be any song title that writes as dialects. There aren't any official published ways to romanise the pronuciation of dialects. Therfore it's unnecessary to distinguish dialects from Mandarin. By the way, if you are likely to say cantonese(Yue-Chinese), there isn't any official written form for cantonese as well, and in HK and Macau, the school teaches the standard Chinese written form, people personally like to type Yue-Characters in cantonese, which is more like a culture. It's not taught by the school officially. Enforcing something unofficial just makes us end up with endless discussions, that's why there isn't any official romanisation way until now, because we have already argued a lot in the real world, and haven't come out a conclusion. How can we romanise an independent language that even doesn't have a written format? I believe this is beyond out of the osu! community, and it's unnecessary to figure them out at the moment.

Current way of romanisation is a fair relatively way, which covers all the cases, and remain as a good result. It's not the best, but it's the most proper.
I've asked some Chinese-spoken QAT/GMT (Nardoxyribonucleic, spboxer3 and Zero__wind) for opinions about the proposal, and all of them think it's not necessary to revise the current romanisation rules about Chinese.
Hollow Wings
(maybe i'm not attentive enough... )

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

For point 1. I just don't see how this is related to our discussion. " In automatic romanizing working progress"
1. if osu community don't use automatic or semi-automatic working progress, it'll be manual. and i just told you all things about why that progress is complex.
2. other alphabetic languages can be romanized automatically. so that's what osu community is doing.

you gonna let that complex work be done by Chinese osu staffs in manual? (you are not Chinese so you won't the one do it anyway.
i prefer just get rid of that and keep what we have: automanically romanisation with one by one words.

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

2. Can you quote the exact words from the document? also all the reasons as stated in the standard as well. I couldn't read it while working on the proposal because 115 swiss franc is hella expensive.
omg... you even don't have any channel or way to read that document? then you may not know lots of concepts it mentions.
and if you don't read it, then you even didn't pass my previous post's precondition, that's bad news to me.
i still recommend you try hard to find a way to read that document.

so as you just so strict about that, i'll paste some part of that document. (but since it had copyright, i just paste text here but not original pictures.)

ISO7098:2015 said:
12 Automatic transcription for named entities

In the comuputer-assisted documentation, there are two approaches to automatic transcription for named entities, namely:

- fully automatics syllable transcription;

- rule-based and semi-automatic word transcription.
since you didn't read that document, i just wanna say that:
the main part of the document are just discussions about how to transcript proper nouns (or just "names") of places and persons.
that's what i summed up for that in previous post about ISO7098:2015.

and i emphasize this again: at international level, most of Chinese words are still transcripted into one by one characters in Latin characters of pinyin.
ISO7098:2015 just made a small step: make proper names combined.
the romanisation of Chinese in ISO is far more uncompleted.

i don't think osu commutity can do what ISO wasn't able to do.

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

Read more about ideograms here. These are logograms. Modern Chinese characters are logographic.

A number of lines after this are about pinyin being a method of transcription. No comments there this is acknowledged since the beginning that this is just the way to pronounce stuff. And the next few lines are about Mandarin having a lot of homophones.
seems like you are really obsessed with concepts, maybe it's my bad to simplify those things.

then let me explain clearly: the ideogram i called Chinese character, is one of its property, like other ancient ones.

so called "logograms" is not Modern Chinese character's exact definition. let's see what ISO7098:2015 showed:

ideophonographical character

graphic character (2.6) that represents an object or a concept and is associated with a sound element in a natrual language.

EXAMPLE Chinese hanzi 鹤(crane), Japanese kanji 戦(war) and Korean hanja 册(book) are ideophonographical characters.
just mention: hanzi (Chinese), kanji (Japanese), and hanja (Korean) reads similar right? they all came from the common source: Chinese characters (汉字). and that is the exact "Chinese character" i pointed out at my prevous post as a ideogram.

and addtional knowledges here: you may know that, at the VERY FIRST, alphabetic characters are ideographic charcters as well. people comes later just get rid of their meanings and just use those characters as a tool to complete words, which didn't happen to Chinese.
(like you saw a character "m" and you may see nothing or you can see everything, that's not what Chinese characters do.

now we are clear to compromise with concepts: the Modern Chinese character is a kind of ideophonographic character.

(and also you may know that both ancient Chinese character and alphabetic character are ideographic character.)

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

Hollow Wings wrote:

This is not exactly true. If it were Mandarin would have been dead a long while ago because the only way to communicate would be carrying a crap ton of paper with you at all time and write stuff when you want to communicate.
In English context it would be equivalent to you guys seeing or hearing /tīm/ (IPA stuff. This reads time). Intuitively the first thing that come into your heads would be the time. Tick-tock clocky stuff. However under different contexts:
"Can you buy me some /tīm/. I'm going to use it to cook dinner." In this case /tīm/ is the herb thyme.
"I don't have enough /tīm/ to do my homework. It's due tomorrow." In this case it's "time"
As you can see they are reversible with context. And when you guys speak to each other you're actively tracing back to the original Hanzi characters using their pronunciation. Therefore, saying that it is not reversible is not true. It's harder in Mandarin (410 syllables - crap tons of words. Do the maths) but the fact that there are people speaking Mandarin proves the fact that it's possible.
lol

NONSENSE.

i think you still don't have enough cognition about how Chinese words and sentences can become.

again, you CAN'T simply know what those Chinese character exactly is, until you need to fully understand all of conponents both in and out of it.
if you just get the sentence without any other notice, you will never be able to do that, which means that sentence's meaning is various.

here are some examples:
a. one best example here, which shows that if you make mistake with it, you may got big trouble.
"Gu Niang, Shui Jiao Yi Wan Duo Shao Qian?"
this sentence mainly has two meanings:
1. "Hey gril, how much it costs if i buy a bowl of your dumplings?" (姑娘,水饺一碗多少钱?)
2. "Hey gril, how much it costs if i sleep you one night?" (姑娘,睡觉一晚多少钱?)
this widely happens in electric alphabet systems without tones, just like osu system.

b. a more common one here.
"Jie Dao Shou Zhang Zai He Shang"
this is too complex, i just do some transcription, and you may just do your mathematics mapping and see if you can figure out all of that sentence may means:
1. "Jie Dao" → 接到(catch/catch up/get/take/etc.), 街道(street/road/way/etc.), etc.
2. "Dao Shou" → 到手(already get sth./reach your hands/etc.), 倒手(transfer things between hands/buy in&out/left hand/etc.), etc.
3. "Shou Zhang" → 手掌(palm/people you trust/etc.), 首长(boss/highest level person/etc.), 收账(charge/blackmail/etc.), etc
oh hell, i won't continue.

this also happens even you have words separated:
"Jiedao Shouzhang Zai Heshang"
↑ maybe try your best to figure out what this means, and i can predict that you may find out at least 4 of meanings.

that's why i'm always saying why it's complex:
alphabetic characters can be transliterated immediately, even if you don't know what that word means.
and this won't work to ideophonographic characters, expecially Chinese characters.

and that's also the detail part of why it's not reversible.

c. some special meme here.
"Shi Shi Shi Shi Shi"
non-Chinese speakers may have no idea what's this.
but it's a popular article called "施氏食狮史" which is a best example to show how hard it may effect us to just read Chinese with only pinyin (or romanized Latin characters).

if you insist your opinion then try to figure out what this sentence means:
"Ji Ji Ji Ji Ji"
just mention: that's also a wonderful article in Chinese writing.

this is just one form of Chinese meme, there're tons of others in Modern Chinese.
like "爷爷", "不星", etc.
this is what general phenomenon in Chinese language environment and its romanisation like.

Latin-Chinese transcript is not reversible, is the exact truth.

------------------------

if you think separated words of pinyin in Latin characters as the romanisation of Chinese characters is better,
then you are wrong.

as a pure system, it's better ofc.
because it helps non-Chinese people read and understand.
and actually it's the very last of goal Chinese romanisation want to reach.

but in all of other sides, it sucks.
1. automanical works can't be done, so it need manual ones, which is tough and complex. you are not the one do it, so you won't understand.
2. you still need deep knowledge to know "what is a Chinese word" before you want to search some. that's just worse because it's harder.
3. osu staffs are not language specialists. they are the best at mapping or mapping checking works, but not at language area.
4. etc. (too much and just stop here

------------------------

the standard of Chinese romanisation is not even build up, "The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography" is just a tool to show rules we have a way do it, it doesn't mean we can really do it.
it's also why we call transcription for separated words of Chinese romanized words is "semi-automatic", becasue part of it is still manual, and will always be manual for a long time.
unless our AI tech is upgraded to a really high level that it can analyse that complex Chinese sentence, and do the rest just what alphabets languages' transliteration had already done. (or maybe you can just know some Chinese language specialists and pay them to do this work.

thou i've told you truths about how complex the separating work for Chinese words, here's some other ISO document conponents:

10.7 At present, in Chinese linguistics, there is no clear common definition of a Chinese word yet, so it is difficult to decide the boundary (dividing line) of a common Chinese word sometime, and, of course, it poses difficulty to link the monosyllables to form a common polysyllabic Chinese word.
sure metadata of osu maps is important, but this topic is far from what osu community could do.

waiting for next progress then.
Wafu
Warning: I will use a word "conservative" in this post. That doesn't refer to your political stance, but to your stance towards this issue.

conservative = a person who favors maintenance of the status quo
So, first of all, I'm quite surprised you are even trying to prove how Chinese is not logogram language. One says pictogram, one says ideogram, one says ideophonograph. I feel like you're trying to defend this so much that you have to take every single thing we said (even out of context, by the way) and simply make up something and say "do your research", while completely ignoring what we said. You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese, so stop acting like you are the better one and we know nothing because we didn't read document X, which nobody's even provided us before (and one of you in particular accusing others of not reading it, while misunderstanding it). Today's Chinese language is using only logograms. Origin of many of these logograms is pictographic or ideographic. You have to realise that something having pictographic/... features doesn't mean it's not logogram. I think you should know it, if you want to use it as an argument. What Hollow Wings said about this, by the way, is exactly proving that CrystilonZ was completely right on the fact that Chinese is logogram language, it's just that HW didn't understand the concept mentioned in the ISO file.

I think, as many of you have taken things out of context, I'll have to go through all the post and respond to them. I will be a bit more technical and in-depth. I hope you will not ignore and take it out of the context again.

Fycho wrote:

Wafu wrote:

1. Current system
  2. Proposal
    1. Titles are easy read ✔ sorry but as a Chinese speaker I don't think they are not easier to read than current seperated romanisation format
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✔ They are not easier to remember than current seperated romanisation from a Chinese speaker side as well
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✔Lantin script isn't fittable to Chinese, Pinyin system is much better from my side too
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔explained above, for Chinese characters, Pinyin or any other romanisation system doesn't have any meaning at all, it's just a way to use as mark for Mandarin
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔ as the pinyin or anyother romanisation/lantin letters (they are just used as mark as I said)doesn't stand for meaning, this feels unnecessary
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✔ Dialects don't have an official way of writing formally, even in HK, schools teach the Mandarin grammar and write standard Chinese grammar while only use cantonese as a pronuciation. There wouldn't be songs that use dialects as song titile and artist, so they don't need to be romanised at any case.
tl;nr: Current romanisation of Chinese is a fair enough way, I don't think it needs to be revised.
  1. 1. As for the readability point, you should probably know that Romanisation is not designed for Chinese people. It's not designed for people who use that language daily. You, I assume, are fluent in Chinese. That means you know how to read this language and your ability to read it either way is in no way impaired. Romanisation is for people who use Latin script as their primary writing script. Because such languages separate words (not syllables), these people are used to reading them, so reading something what appears to resemble a whole word is much easier for them to comprehend and read. If you want, we can hook up some people who have no knowledge of Chinese (and use Latin script), ask one group to read some song titles in the current system, and the other group, to read it with the other system. Obviously, both groups will pronounce it poorly, but the latter one will be slightly less robotic (I assume Chinese people don't like to hear the "ching chong" epithet. This is one of the reason it exists, I don't understand how you actually don't see it), they will actually read it more continuously, rather than with a gap between each syllable.
  2. 2. As for the memory point, again, you are considering this point from the Chinese speaker perspective. That's not the target group. As above, it's about how Latin script works with words. As you probably know, when people who use Latin script read longer words, they generally don't read them, they just recognize it by the shape of the word. Because of that, they will also miss minor spelling errors, because they read the originally intended word by the shape. That suggests (which is a fact by the way) that they memorize text (that is seemingly a word) much easier than syllables. As an example, you probably have the shape of "Romanisation" memorized pretty well. That means if I'd misspell it to "Ronamisation", you would quite likely not notice that. Whereas if I did "Ro Na Mi Sa Ti On", you would more likely notice the error, because you would read it syllable by syllable. You can look up information about this pretty easily. Again, this can be easily proven the same way as 1. We could just find some people for a memory test, one group given the syllable version, the other one the seemingly "words".
  3. 3. Non-sense. I think, if you are interested in Romanisation, you should know that it's not "Lantin", it's "Latin". Could make some assumption, but I won't accuse anyone of not doing research as some of you have. The point below exactly explains that it's impossible to fit to Chinese script, no Romanisation/transcription/transliteration system can do it. If you think we shouldn't be using Latin, you may have problem with current Romanisation system. (It's fully based on Latin script, no other script is allowed in the Romanised title/artist field)
  4. 4. That's not at all what I'm talking about. And you are plain making stuff up.
  5. 5. How does this make sense? The Romanisation systems we are currently using in the proposal all have very similar reading, in fact as similar to each other as possible. We care about the way people will read that. What you are saying here is that "it doesn't matter if some characters are represented with wrong character". You are literally saying that it wouldn't matter if we romanise 大 as "Da" or as "Wx". The ü character was suggested as "u", because it sorta sounds like a "swallowed" hard "u", tiny bit similar to German. That's why it made sense (whether that is the best option is up to discussion, but not up to denial for a reason that is "most keyboard layouts have v here", there's no linguistic basis behind v, that makes the current system completely invalid)
  6. 6. There's enough major evidence that the current system doesn't work. This is only a conservative stance that you guys have, so that no change happens, because that's the way you are used to it. You should be open to the fact that old things are not always the best and some things just have to be replaced at some point.
Regarding the "how can someone know that this is one word, they don't speak Chinese" argument, we do the same for Japanese Romanisation, that's also one of the reasons we wanted it to be more consistent. Both of these languages have conflicting "words", for some reason, I've never seen anyone complaining about "complicated" Japanese Romanisation, I've mostly seen people having no problems reading, memorizing and saying any Japanese title just from the Romanisation. It's not about knowing that this is a word, it's about the impression that it's a word, which leads to many aforementioned benefits for people who use Latin script.

Hollow Wings wrote:

OK, what a mess.

just wanna warning: my post will be long.
check it as detail as you can to know about Chinese language and its romanisation, if you wanna get involved into this.

A. Important things about Chinese Romanisation

I. "ISO 7098:2015".
1st thing of all, know things about ISO 7098:2015 as much as you can.
ISO 7098:2015 explains the principles of the Romanization of Modern Chinese Putonghua (Mandarin Chinese), the official language of the People's Republic of China as defined in the Directives for the Promotion of Putonghua, promulgated on 1956-02-06 by the State Council of China. This International Standard can be applied in documentation of bibliographies, catalogues, indices, toponymic lists, etc.
all contents in this document are important, you may know some before. and there's two parts i wanna specially mention for you, they are like:

↑ this is my opening, just mark it and go on.

II. How special Chinese is as a kind of language.

according to the way characters comprise words, languages can be divided into alphabetic language and ideographic language, with alphabet and ideogram as their own characters.

a. alphabetic language is simple, most of you can easily know its concept. also, most of languages exist now, are alphabetic language. they are comprised with proper alphabet of their own. as i known:
  1. Cyrillic alphabet (eg. Russian)
  2. Hebrew characters (eg. Hebrew)
  3. Arabic alphabet (eg. Arabic)
  4. Armenian character (eg. Armenian)
  5. Georgian character (eg. Georgian)
  6. Old Geez abjad (eg. Old Geez) ←already dead
  7. Devanagari script (eg. Sanskrit)
  8. Tamil alphabet (eg. Tamil)
  9. Kana script (eg. Japanese)
  10. Hangul script (eg. Korean)
  11. Thai script (eg. Thai)
  12. Tibetan script (eg. Tibetan)
  13. Mongolian script (eg. Mongolian)
... and tons of other alphabetic languages which may not be widely used or just dead.
b. ideographic language is like, every single character was born from some exact thing or matter, this is very different from alphabetic language.
however, as i known, language that is ideographic language are:
and NO MORE.

III. “Transliteration” and “Transcription”
(Wafu: I have to shorten this because of character limit.)

B. Relation to osu community nomination system

CrystilonZ wrote:

Other languages that use the Chinese script are irrelevant to this proposal.
We are only talking about Standard Mandarin here and Mandarin is not equivalent to Chinese.
We only use 'Chinese' in the draft for simplicity. The wording will be changed if this is implemented.
↑i don't know if CrystilonZ know the whole Chinese language family clear enough, so i'll add some additional things as basic background knowledge here.
ISO 639 code sets
Documentation for ISO 639 identifier: zho
Identifier: zho
Name: Chinese
Code sets: 639-2/T and 639-3
Equivalents: 639-1: zh
639-2/B: chi
Scope: Macrolanguage
Type: Living
Denotation: See corresponding entry in Ethnologue.
The individual languages within this macrolanguage are
  1. Gan Chinese [gan] → 赣语
  2. Hakka Chinese [hak] → 客家话
  3. Huizhou Chinese [czh] → 惠州话
  4. Jinyu Chinese [cjy] → 晋语
  5. Literary Chinese [lzh] → 文言文
  6. Mandarin Chinese [cmn] → 官话(普通话)
  7. Min Bei Chinese [mnp] → 闽北话
  8. Min Dong Chinese [cdo] → 闽东话
  9. Min Nan Chinese [nan] → 闽南话
  10. Min Zhong Chinese [czo] → 闽中话
  11. Pu-Xian Chinese [cpx] → 莆仙话
  12. Wu Chinese [wuu] → 吴语
  13. Xiang Chinese [hsn] → 湘语
  14. Yue Chinese [yue] → 粤语
ok, so, things above are just for electric area. there're still lots of other native language in PRC.
and i just don't post PRC's official native language list here, in case make things more complex.

since people like CrystilonZ may insist that Mandarin Chinese is the main target and other Chinese systems have none business with it, let's start from the concept level of "macrolanguage":
it actually has a property of "same standard pronunciation and style of writing".
and to Chinease as the macrolanguage, its standard, is just Mandarin Chinese.

so the truth is, all Chinese language families DO has a common standard, and also with hundreds and thousands of connection to it. when you are talking about some other Chinese family menbers, it always be effected by Mandarin system, which is the exact center of the whole topic.
if you wanna get rid of every other Chinese language families, then you need to give another complete romanisation rule, to solve some problems may happened in transcription process. otherwise, Mandarin Chinese's is automatically an official solving way. in case of that, be shall be care about this one's effection to other Chinese language families.

and also, the so called "Cantonese" is actually a concept of "languages spoken in Guangdong Province“, contained "Min Zhong Chinese", "Hakka Chinese“ and "Yue Chinese". people just usually use its narrow sense of concept: almost regard "Cantonese" as "Yue Chinese".
what's more, native language spoken in Taiwan is a kind of Min Nan Chinese, in case some ignorant one jumps out.

with all those knowledges above, we can move on:

I. How to deal with Mandarin Chinese transcription with words from other Chinese language families, but also already became a part of it?

1. Chinese archaism

it's a part of Literary Chinese, but also become a part of Mandarin Chinese.
some of them even changed meaning, and it's hard to distinguish.
if Literary Chinese is regarded as another individual language aside of Mandarin Chinese, then when meet words like "空穴来风", "闭门造车", "人尽可夫", etc, how to deal with these?

2. multi-Chinese based songs

for example, there's a Chinese song called "好心分手", one of its version is sang by both Yue Chinese and Mandarin Chinese.
so Yue Chinese romanized version is "Hou Sam Fan Sau/Housam Fansou" (actually this is jupting, a special kind of pinyin)
and Mandarin Chinese romanized version is "Hao Xin Fen Shou/Haoxin Fenshou".
both of them are spoken exactly correct, then how to deal with these?

3. with Chinese families that no romanisation rules supported
for example, there's a Chinese song called "外滩18号", which is sang by three kind of Chinese language: Mandarin Chinese, Wu Chinese and "Southwestern Hakka" (an official native Chinese language of PRC).
so it can be romanized like:
Mandarin Chinese: "Wai Tan Shi Ba Hao/Waitan Shibahao"
Wu Chinese: "Nga Thae Tze Ba O/Ngathae Tzebao"
Southwestern Hakka Chinese: "Vai Tan Si Ba Hao/Vaitan Sibahao"
i'm not sure if those ones are correct (just typed here with searching dictionary of native romanisation) aside of Mandarin ones, but it can still have chance to have the romanisation of their own part, right?
then how to deal with these?

II. Even if we shall transcript Mandarin Chinese from separated words into Latin characters, who is the one help those mappers mapping a Chinese song?

it has some part:
  1. is this a Mandarin Chinese song?
    - maybe from official settings or sites, not a big deal. but will not do if you map some cult song.
  2. how to get the right romanized characters?
    - ask some Chinese staff/mapper/player? i doult any of them have time/ability to do it.
  3. how to make sure those things i got is correct?
    - some kind of same as the one above, if that person exsist and can do his job endlessly, he will be really welcomed to this system.
you may think most of Chinese words may not complex like that, but if you wanna build a reasonable system for rules, it should be strict.
and it's not you become the person who do this kind of work, you can hardly imagine if it's hard to do it or not.

C. Summary

I. Opinions

1. even international level groups can't do lots of romanisation for Mandarin-Latin transcription from separated words.
it's feasible, for it's truth. but it's efficiency is really really badly low.
Chinese staffs will be weary/tired out to death if they really do this. because as you see what i've explained, it's a tough work with a tough progress to do.

also i even can predict that someone wanna find a right answer of correct Mandarin romanisaton for month, and still dqed after he found the answer he got is still wrong. then it may block people mapping Chinese songs, personally i think that's really a bad news.

2. Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese has standard romanisation rules, but not other Chinese families. it's hard to complete one of you don't care all of them, for every single one of them has a common standard pronunciation and style of writing: Mandarin Chinese.

in case of that, rebuilding the Mandarin Chinese romanisation system in to a better and complete one will be a really hard work to do, and it's for sure out of osu community's range.

3. Chinese osu community already argued this for several times long time ago, and the result is still: keep the current state.

II. Conclusion

do romanisation from one by one Mandarin Chinese characters is the best way SO FAR.
until we find some genius invent a dictionary of Mandarin-Chinese-characters-Latin-characters romanisation, and upgrade the efficiency a lot more than current one.
and also, this is the exact thing what international groups do right now. (they only combine proper nouns like people's or place's name, etc.)

--------------

simple extra p.s. here:
to CrystilonZ, and other people who know little things about Chinese:

i think you had some wrong idea about Chinese characters, for i've seen written these:

CrystilonZ wrote:

Similar to Japanese, one Chinese character does represent one single syllable. However, a word is not necessarily comprised of one syllable (like Japanese, Chinese is a polysyllabic language).For example 图书馆 (túshūguǎn) as a whole means library, and writing 'li bra ry' would defeat the purpose of Romanisation by not resembling the structure of languages using the Roman alphabet.
Chinese is far different from Japanese. the syllable thing you are talking about may be just the differences between Japanese's Hiragana or Katagana, but not that true for Kanji part.
(btw, you may already know that a part of Japanese language system is just the exact Chinese.)

and now after reading all things i wrote above, you may know Chinese is not only a kind of polysyllabic language, but also the only living ideographic language.
"图书馆" reads "tú shū guǎn" and means "library", true.
However, "图书" reads "tú shū" and means "library book" or just “(picture) book", you ever know that?
this is far different from that you can't separate an English word in most cases: but you DO can separate a Chinese word, because every single character of Chinese can be a word.
eg.
图→graph, graphic, or lots of other meanings;
书→book, writing, letter, or lots of other meanings;
馆→shop, embassy, galleries or any building that showing something it wants to.

so, the one-character-one-word method is a solid reasonable metod for Chinese romanisation.

with knowledge of these, hope you can restructure your idea about Chinese, for helping you understand previous romanisation part.

--------------

hope all of these things could help you know more about Chinese romanisation.

also if you have any confusion about anything above, you are always welcomed to ask.
A
  1. 1. You have to remember that ISO being international doesn't mean that we have to follow ISO (After all we would be breaking many of their standards, even in the other Romanisation systems). There are many references and standards that are not ISO and are better in quality and design. It's not like taking one thing that benefits you is going to help. Regardless, as I've read this standard (and if you are concerned that I may not have done some research, this is a tiny part of what I've read to make my opinions on this issue, the research is much deeper than a single ISO document), I think it benefits you less than you think it does. In fact, from what arguments you are quoting, you don't seem to understand it very well on your own (or maybe you just expressed yourself poorly, but you misrepresent the document you are promoting here).
  2. 2. I already addressed this point in the previous post, but it was kinda taken out of the context. I already explained this in relation to Chinese script incompatibility. Anyway, what you're trying to say here is quite a non-sense. None of the listed languages are actually ideographic. All of these are logogram languages that partially use ideographic characters, but mostly characters that just originate from ideographic characters. The languages itself use logograms.
  3. 3. This has been addressed already. There's no reason why the missing reversibility factor would impair Latin script users from reading or memorizing this (that, however, is impaired by the current system which is reversible). It only has impact on people who actually can use Chinese language, these people do have a solution. The original title/artist is still present, so they don't need to reverse it to logograms. For Latin script users, there's no reason why they would want to reverse the text.

This is the part that many of you have taken out of the context, and therefore misunderstood it. Again, Romanisation (internationally), is not designed for people who are fluent in Chinese, so there is no reason why they would want to convert it back to logograms. For those who are fluent in Chinese, you literally have it in the original title/artist.

"Transliteration won't do, we need to do "Transcription"" argument doesn't make much sense. Not only, as I explained above, it's really not needed in this scenario, but at the same time, you are saying this and want to support a system that omits the phonetics? That literally makes it transliteration.

"we chinese ourselves even cant understand what those words said in a short time, if they are all written in Latin characters of pinyin one by one" Don't make this up. If you can't understand Romanised text, it's because you can't process Latin script, again, there's the original title/artist for you to clarify it. You are not the primary target of the Romanisation. It's more important for a regular player to be able to memorize and read the title/artist, than for Chinese player to memorize, read and understand both the original and Romanised titles/artists.
B
  1. 1. Not worth talking about. This is a bit more out of topic and should already be clear from the previous discussion.
  2. 2. The same way we're doing it for Japanese. And we are doing it for Japanese. The "Metadata Heap" Discord server is quite a big one and people do solve issues here quite quickly and effectively. Even for the languages they don't know very well. You really underestimate this community if you think it will be only and only up to staff members. Sure, they have to recheck, but if this is discussed in the channel, they generally have a good starting point. So far, I haven't seen a problem that wasn't resolved there, it really shouldn't be that big of a drama that you make it look like (And yes, even QATs/GMTs are active here, but they don't do majority of the requests on their own). This is, therefore, not an issue.
C
  1. 1. 1. Same as for the the last point in B. This is not at all an issue. The second part of it, I don't think people take metadata DQs so negatively. I don't remember a single time it happened that people stopped mapping songs of certain language due to complicated metadata, even since metadata became more strict.
  2. 1. 2. Already addressed, this is not what should be discussed. Current system doesn't solve this even though you may imply it does. It doesn't.
  3. 1. 3. The result is "keep the current state" because of the conservative stance. From what I've seen, Chinese people argued for this system poorly and detached from the community that it's primarily about. Now the target community argues for something else, that doesn't mean you just keep conservative stance because we are not Chinese. The argument can never be that "it was discussed by Chinese community" because it's not only about you. We also don't say: "You can't judge most of the things because you don't know how Latin script languages work.", so don't do that to us.
  4. 2. Already explained in above paragraphs.

Regraz wrote:

Regarding the Romanisation of Mandarin, I would like to post my comments here.

Firstly I would like to start with the following proposal:

Proposed Rules wrote:

The ü vowel should be Romanised into u and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields.

CrystilonZ wrote:

speaking about u and v here. v is just impossible to pronounce. I'm always open for a better alternative.
Please understand first, if you want to change the current rule, namely from ü to u, you have to prove yourself FIRST u is a better choice than v, instead of announcing you are going to change it to “u” while asking us to provide a better choice. There are plenty of letters and characters could be chosen, why you chose u? Just because they look similar after omitting the you called “diacritical tone mark”? I don’t think that is a reliable reason for this change as only judging by visual appearance is pretty unprofessional when talking about romanization. Additionally, Fycho has already mentioned the potential mess that might result from changing v to u, indicating that this entry within the proposal is not only pros. Therefore, prior to this discussion, you should not simply saying “The ü vowel should be Romanised into u…” and explain this change only by why “ü” cannot be implemented by the current system due to technical difficulties but to explain why “u” is better than “v” with valid reason, ( “u” can be pronounced is not a valid reason: there are many characters that could be pronounced, like a e I o and some bi-characters like yu, which is mentioned by Fycho. All of them have pros and cons, why do you gave preference to u in thisdraft?), as well as how you are going to address potential problems if this “u” proposal is implemented.

Again, if you would like to change the current criteria, try to form up solid reasons and show people why your proposal is better than the current. Saying “I am going to change this into that, if you don’t have better choices then this will be the new criteria.” sounds pretty irrelevant, illogic, and showing kind of manipulation toward criteria about Romanization of Mandarin.

I would like to proceed to comparison between current and proposed system in the previous discussion:

1. Current system
  2. Proposal
I don’t think with the proposal, titles are easier to read and remember.
How do you expect speakers who don’t know how to pronounce “ü“, “v” and “u” to differentiate syllables and words under Romanisation of Mandarin?

For non-Mandarin speakers, there are no differences regarding readability between “Wo De Wei Lai Shi” and “Wo de Weilaishi” or any other combinations like “Wode Weilai Shi”. They have no idea what is a syllable and what is a word. If you think words are easier to remember (you did not post any proof or research regarding this either), why can’t a player treat the syllables as words? Now that the player have no idea what you are reading is word or syllable. There are less syllables than words in total, they should be more easier to read and memorize!
  1. 1. The point at the beginning was already addressed. Again, taken out of the context. You read nothing. "v" had no linguistic basis whatsoever. The accuracy of the accent doesn't matter, even if you'd exactly hear it, if you can't speak Chinese, you won't pronounce it right. I explained why "u" has been chosen in this post. Again, nobody ever said this is the final decision. It's just that it sounds like deep and unvoiced "u", as if someone punched your chest, similar to German ü, but not the same. That's why it's "u", there was no other letter (with reasoning) suggested and "v" had absolutely no similarity to it. If you call it unprofessional, basing it on keyboard layout and not linguistics, to us, seems less professional.
  2. 2. Issues of both systems (which were more severe for current system) were already addressed in this post and also in the previous posts in the proposal thread that you didn't read, otherwise you wouldn't say there are no reasons.
  3. 3. Readability, we've been over it already. Even in this post.
  4. 4. Yes, there is a difference for non-Mandarin speakers. Explained it previously, and as I said to Fycho, we can do the tests with people that use Latin script if you want this kind of proof.
The rest is just an outrage and has already been explained.
"First, In formal Chinese writing, there is no logograms as well." is complete nonsense. There is no character in Chinese that is not a logogram.
"So the table of proposal in fact should be modified like this" is a part I don't understand. The tables in the proposal were to show what needs to be fixed in the first system if you want to make it work and why the proposed system solves majority of the issues that can be solved at this moment. It's not to show "how much better" the proposed system is. If you are angry because of a table, have to take it out of the context without reading the text related to the table and even just edit it this way without even giving specific reasons for doing so, I'd welcome if you would refrain from even giving your input here. We're trying to give as many reasons as possible and explain every single thing that is mentioned, unfortunately, some of you just can't take it seriously, yet want to talk about it.

Fycho wrote:

The main arguments are listed below:
  1. If we romanise Chinese title in word-by-word way(each character must be romanised into a single, capitalised, separated word) or generally every word should be separated and capitalised according to The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography.
  2. If using "yu" or "u" for the romanisation of the vowel "ü".
  3. If we need to distinguish dialects from Mandarin in romanisation.
For the first point, I recommend everybody has a read about ISO7098:2015 before sharing opinions, the romanisation of Chinese is much complex than others, which needs a lot of professional knowledges about Chinese. The new proposal can't stand “a word or phrase with double or more meanings”. For example, specific examples like "他谁都打不过", it's used intentionally to represent two meanings that are "Nobody can beat him" and "He can beat everybody", "Ta / Shui / Dou Da Bu Guo" and "Ta / Shui Dou Da Bu Guo". And it wouldn't be easier to be remember / read to Chinese / non-Chinese speakers. I am not going for detail, as someone would like to give more professional explanations.

For the second point, currently, "v" stands a lot. "ü" is one-word vowel, it works differently in pronunciation from two-words-vowel like "iu", "an", "ie", "üe", "ai", "ao", etc... We use "YU" for "ü" only in passport and other specific cases, because the passport require a captial letter about the name and "ü" doesn't have captial case. In other ways, there are still "v". For one-word vowel, "v" is the most common and familiar letter and it's officially supprted, and that is what the input keyboard uses in majority. I believe using "yu" for "ü" only makes it easier to read than "v" for non-Chinese speakers, but it's technically wrong, there aren't any other beneficial cases. The "u" of syllable "yu" is vowel "ü" actually and technically, but for "j / q / x / y / w", we use "u" for "ü", but it doesn't mean "u" can completely stand for "ü", and don't mean it's "yu" can stand for "ü", "y" isn't a vowel in Pinyin system at all, "y" is a consonant that has the same pronunciation as vowel "i", meanwhile "iu" and "yu" are completely two different things. In the pinyin system, "vowels" couldn't be made from "consonant". That means, By no means could "yu" become a two-word vowel, and could "yu" be used for romanisation which disobeying the language systems totally. "v" works best at the moment.

For the third point, is it necessary to distinguish dialects from Mandarin in romanisation. As all of us know, dialects are different in pronunciation, and some have different grammars. However, all the dialects don't have an official written format, and all the dialects do have a relation with Mandarin. A lot of Chinese characters words that are stand by all the dialects, like "好心分手", you can't know if it's Mandarin or Wu-Chinese or Cantonese unless someone pronounces it, but officially and technically we can't differ and figure out what it is, and it's just modern standard Chinese, and we romanise it in a standard way. Personally, I am a dialect-used person, and I can speak Wu-Chinese and Mandarin well. The major issue is there aren't any official way that we can write the dialect. This is because, It's not like the Japanese dialects, Japanese (Hirakana, Katakana) are same as lantin scripts, which are phonograms, however Chinese characters are ideographic and ideogram, this mades Chinese characters can't be used to represent the pronunciation to dialects, and decides that there wouldn't be any officially written form dialects, and there wouldn't be any song title that writes as dialects. There aren't any official published ways to romanise the pronuciation of dialects. Therfore it's unnecessary to distinguish dialects from Mandarin. By the way, if you are likely to say cantonese(Yue-Chinese), there isn't any official written form for cantonese as well, and in HK and Macau, the school teaches the standard Chinese written form, people personally like to type Yue-Characters in cantonese, which is more like a culture. It's not taught by the school officially. Enforcing something unofficial just makes us end up with endless discussions, that's why there isn't any official romanisation way until now, because we have already argued a lot in the real world, and haven't come out a conclusion. How can we romanise an independent language that even doesn't have a written format? I believe this is beyond out of the osu! community, and it's unnecessary to figure them out at the moment.

I've asked some Chinese-spoken QAT/GMT (Nardoxyribonucleic, spboxer3 and Zero__wind) for opinions about the proposal, and all of them think it's not necessary to revise the current romanisation rules about Chinese.
  1. 1. For the ISO document part, again, I want to mention this is not the only document that exists. It was taken into consideration during the creation of the proposal. But yes, it's generally good to read. I also already explained why it would be easier to remember, read and pronounce for the target group.
  2. 2. No, "v" doesn't work the best, it doesn't work at all because it has no linguistic basis. That doesn't mean "u" is the best, although we agreed that it generally won't make difference for a regular player, there are still many options that can be considered, but it can't be "v", and probably not "y", because that's associated with a different sound (even in other Romanisation systems we use). "u" pronounced in a certain way will result in the "ü" we are going for, it really is the core sound of it, I described this in the post 2 times already, so I guess I don't have to repeat myself.
  3. 3. It is sort of important. Because some things could be pronounced so differently that reading it regularly wouldn't be even close. Mostly, it would be just Mandarin and Cantonese, I don't believe any other dialect will be used in osu!. Anyway, sticking to the "official" systems shouldn't be considered bad. In this situation, it doesn't do any harm. In osu!, we'd preferably use whatever system works the best for us, based on the similarity to current Romanisation systems and other aspects already mentioned here (Latin script user readability etc.), it's best to keep the minority of languages up to case-by-case decision. (Most of the time, it would use this Romanisation system anyway, but in case we'd think it is needed, we would go for case-by-case, pretty common in these situations). Sticking to 100% official systems only delays us, it's a thing you have to deal with in case-by-case situations. The current Romanisation can't be officially applied to all dialects of Chinese either.
  4. 4. Again, this is a conservative stance that doesn't have any proper reasoning. You either have to solve things or replace them. Not admitting that current system doesn't work because it's easier or you're used to it shouldn't override all the arguments against it.

Hollow Wings wrote:

(maybe i'm not attentive enough... )

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

1. if osu community don't use automatic or semi-automatic working progress, it'll be manual. and i just told you all things about why that progress is complex.
2. other alphabetic languages can be romanized automatically. so that's what osu community is doing.

you gonna let that complex work be done by Chinese osu staffs in manual? (you are not Chinese so you won't the one do it anyway.
i prefer just get rid of that and keep what we have: automanically romanisation with one by one words.

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

omg... you even don't have any channel or way to read that document? then you may not know lots of concepts it mentions.
and if you don't read it, then you even didn't pass my previous post's precondition, that's bad news to me.
i still recommend you try hard to find a way to read that document.

so as you just so strict about that, i'll paste some part of that document. (but since it had copyright, i just paste text here but not original pictures.)

12 Automatic transcription for named entities

In the comuputer-assisted documentation, there are two approaches to automatic transcription for named entities, namely:

- fully automatics syllable transcription;

- rule-based and semi-automatic word transcription.
since you didn't read that document, i just wanna say that:
the main part of the document are just discussions about how to transcript proper nouns (or just "names") of places and persons.
that's what i summed up for that in previous post about ISO7098:2015.

and i emphasize this again: at international level, most of Chinese words are still transcripted into one by one characters in Latin characters of pinyin.
ISO7098:2015 just made a small step: make proper names combined.
the romanisation of Chinese in ISO is far more uncompleted.

i don't think osu commutity can do what ISO wasn't able to do.

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

seems like you are really obsessed with concepts, maybe it's my bad to simplify those things.

then let me explain clearly: the ideogram i called Chinese character, is one of its property, like other ancient ones.

so called "logograms" is not Modern Chinese character's exact definition. let's see what ISO7098:2015 showed:

ideophonographical character

graphic character (2.6) that represents an object or a concept and is associated with a sound element in a natrual language.

EXAMPLE Chinese hanzi 鹤(crane), Japanese kanji 戦(war) and Korean hanja 册(book) are ideophonographical characters.
just mention: hanzi (Chinese), kanji (Japanese), and hanja (Korean) reads similar right? they all came from the common source: Chinese characters (汉字). and that is the exact "Chinese character" i pointed out at my prevous post as a ideogram.

and addtional knowledges here: you may know that, at the VERY FIRST, alphabetic characters are ideographic charcters as well. people comes later just get rid of their meanings and just use those characters as a tool to complete words, which didn't happen to Chinese.
(like you saw a character "m" and you may see nothing or you can see everything, that's not what Chinese characters do.

now we are clear to compromise with concepts: the Modern Chinese character is a kind of ideophonographic character.

(and also you may know that both ancient Chinese character and alphabetic character are ideographic character.)

------------------------

CrystilonZ wrote:

lol

NONSENSE.

i think you still don't have enough cognition about how Chinese words and sentences can become.

again, you CAN'T simply know what those Chinese character exactly is, until you need to fully understand all of conponents both in and out of it.
if you just get the sentence without any other notice, you will never be able to do that, which means that sentence's meaning is various.

here are some examples:
a. one best example here, which shows that if you make mistake with it, you may got big trouble.
1. "Hey gril, how much it costs if i buy a bowl of your dumplings?" (姑娘,水饺一碗多少钱?)
this widely happens in electric alphabet systems without tones, just like osu system.

this is too complex, i just do some transcription, and you may just do your mathematics mapping and see if you can figure out all of that sentence may means:
2. "Dao Shou" → 到手(already get sth./reach your hands/etc.), 倒手(transfer things between hands/buy in&out/left hand/etc.), etc.
3. "Shou Zhang" → 手掌(palm/people you trust/etc.), 首长(boss/highest level person/etc.), 收账(charge/blackmail/etc.), etc

↑ maybe try your best to figure out what this means, and i can predict that you may find out at least 4 of meanings.

alphabetic characters can be transliterated immediately, even if you don't know what that word means.
and this won't work to ideophonographic characters, expecially Chinese characters.

"Shi Shi Shi Shi Shi"
but it's a popular article called "施氏食狮史" which is a best example to show how hard it may effect us to just read Chinese with only pinyin (or romanized Latin characters).

"Ji Ji Ji Ji Ji"

this is just one form of Chinese meme, there're tons of others in Modern Chinese.
like "爷爷", "不星", etc.
this is what general phenomenon in Chinese language environment and its romanisation like.

------------------------

if you think separated words of pinyin in Latin characters as the romanisation of Chinese characters is better,
then you are wrong.

as a pure system, it's better ofc.
because it helps non-Chinese people read and understand.
and actually it's the very last of goal Chinese romanisation want to reach.

but in all of other sides, it sucks.
1. automanical works can't be done, so it need manual ones, which is tough and complex. you are not the one do it, so you won't understand.
2. you still need deep knowledge to know "what is a Chinese word" before you want to search some. that's just worse because it's harder.
3. osu staffs are not language specialists. they are the best at mapping or mapping checking works, but not at language area.
4. etc. (too much and just stop here

------------------------

the standard of Chinese romanisation is not even build up, "The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography" is just a tool to show rules we have a way do it, it doesn't mean we can really do it.
it's also why we call transcription for separated words of Chinese romanized words is "semi-automatic", becasue part of it is still manual, and will always be manual for a long time.
unless our AI tech is upgraded to a really high level that it can analyse that complex Chinese sentence, and do the rest just what alphabets languages' transliteration had already done. (or maybe you can just know some Chinese language specialists and pay them to do this work.

thou i've told you truths about how complex the separating work for Chinese words, here's some other ISO document conponents:

10.7 At present, in Chinese linguistics, there is no clear common definition of a Chinese word yet, so it is difficult to decide the boundary (dividing line) of a common Chinese word sometime, and, of course, it poses difficulty to link the monosyllables to form a common polysyllabic Chinese word.
sure metadata of osu maps is important, but this topic is far from what osu community could do.

waiting for next progress then.
  1. 1. Again, nothing is going to be "up to Chinese staff", they don't even communicate about metadata much. It doesn't need to be automatic. Japanese is also not automatic. Your assumption that people who are not Chinese can't do Chinese metadata is incorrect. There are people who do it (e.g. in the aforementioned Discord server for metadata), some do it more reliably than Chinese people. There are many people who look up Japanese characters one by one and they are very accurate with it, even though you have to think of exceptions (there are even Chinese alternatives that are more accurate, btw.). This is not a problem again, unless you assume that where you are born determines what metadata you can do, which is not true.
  2. 2. I don't understand why you would enforce some "preconditions" in your post. I understand you want people to do some research, which is okay, but remember it works vice-versa.
  3. 3. Ancient Chinese was not an ideogram language. You've also proven CrystilonZ right, you just used different terms.
To your point about us being "wrong". You don't know what Romanisation is about. The idea that Chinese Romanisation's goal is not at all to help non-Chinese people is non-sense. We are not in China where you don't care. We are in osu!, which is an international game. Concept of Romanisation in China is different than Romanisation worldwide (target = people using Latin script, this is what we need to use, otherwise we wouldn't have Romanisation at all). Consider everyone equal rather than saying that someone doesn't understand how hard it is because they are not Chinese. 1. Yes, CrystilonZ could Romanise Chinese. 2. That doesn't say much, but no, you don't need to have extreme experience in Chinese to find correct artist name and song title. 3. I don't know where your information about staff's real life and education stems from. osu! is not a full-time job, so these people can very well be experienced in languages. And no, we don't need to pay language specialists, we never did pay anyone and even complicated metadata is being actively produced.

Conclusion:

I think I addressed all the relevant points. I want to make it clear that if some parts sound harsh, that's not what I intended. I just want this discussion to be fair for everyone. (and without Regraz's attempts to make fun of someone)

I hope this makes some clearer. The biggest issue I see you guys didn't understand is how Romanisation works internationally, outside of China. That's probably what makes you all not realise that being able to convert Romanisation back to Chinese is not the primary intention (especially not in osu!, where the original Chinese titles will be visible)
Shad0w1and
I would suggest keeping what we have right now. I have been searching around for an actual standard for Chinese to be romanized to ANSI code, however, there is no standard for that in pinyin.
The Chinese government did have some standard for romanization but it does not really applicable because it is more like an attachment for the English translation guidelines. There isn't a standard for romanizing Chinese into English ANSI code.
I did not read that ISO document but I assume it is for romanization into Latin. It should not be considered as a standard for osu RC because it is a different case.
In China right now, English road signs are mixed with pinyin with tones, English translations, separated pinyin. The government is suggesting using English translation through the country. And even though it is putting the Chinese character identified as a noun together to an English noun, this is not a romanization standard!
example:
Chinese: 青白江路
English direct translation: Blue White River Road
Pingyin: Qing Bai Jiang Lu
The government suggested English translation: Qingbaijiang Rd
Other common used romanization methods: Qingbaijiang Lu, Qingbai River Rd, Qing Bai River Rd, Qing Bai Jiang Lu, Qing Bai Jiang Rd

So let's face the reality, there isn't a standard for Chinese romanization into ANSI code. I can't understand that without a commonly accepted standard, why would you guys try to change the current metadata rule?
While the English translation shows in favor of putting words together, they do have a lot of exceptions in real word that you won't be able to find on any document. There were a lot of jokes about romanization in China and I would say please do not think too much to make a standard for osu. If there is no standard, we should go with the current one.
Mafumafu
Regardless of the totally illogic post Wafu made above, I find it interesting and ironic that Wafu’s post here is in fact contradicting what Wafu sent me in forum private message.

I even could not help laughing when Wafu said:

Wafu wrote:

…and without Regraz's attempts to make fun of someone
Maybe Wafu did a provocative (but bad?) try to labelize, defame, calumniate and libel others? However, from his PM to me, it seems Wafu himself even failed to keep his words civilized. I will attach the screenshot of that forum pm here for everyone to read.

Who do you think is actually making fun of others?

In fact, I do not want to waste time replying to what Wafu posted here as I believe if anyone would like to participate in any kind of discussions, they first ought to learn how to speak properly and get rid of any habits of assaulting others inherited from whatever personal life or background. Yet for the sake of this metadata draft, I tried my best to be benevolent and philanthropic, showing some leniency toward those who cannot speak in a civilized way and filter those profane words when elaborating my reply.

Wafu wrote:

Chinese is a logographic language. It's not pictographic nor ideographic language. They use a some characters with pictographic/ideographic features, but that doesn't make Chinese a pictographic/ideographic language. You guys don't even know your own language. Wake the fuck up.
Sadly, arrogantly defining Chinese as a logographic language is a pure fallacy. In formal Chinese writing today, Chinese characters are input by keyboards in a syllabic way, and it is the dominant method of inputting Chinese (and its Romanization as well) in osu! amongst players. Under the mixed impact of other languages and the development of currently dominant input method of Chinese in Internet, especially when it comes to romanization, "you called" logographic characteristics of Chinese is increasingly ambiguous. Your statement is already groundless and archaic because you still stay with writing Chinese characters in paper, instead of considering the input method with keyboards, which is syllable-oriented and in fact supports the current syllable-based metadata (Romanization) scheme.

More Comments Here

Additionally, I was really shocked to see that former BNG member, current(?) UBKRC member could end up in assualting others when they failed to provide solid reasons toward their own statements.

osu! Rules wrote:

Be productive with your criticism without resorting to personal attacks. Criticism is a wonderful thing when done properly, but if you're resorting to personal attacks to make your point, you're doing it wrong and you should feel bad.
I hold respect toward the entire UBKRC team as they comprise the most experienced people about criteria elaboration and modification but this just makes me quite disappointed. It is really a lackluster, and even a blemish.

At last, I do have some pieces of personal advice for the one who is all the time showing uncivilized, barbarian-like behaviors here:
1. Before involving into this discussion, learn how to speak properly, instead of acting like uncivilized philistines. Insults, personal attacks or profane content would not help you in this discussion. They only illustrate that you failed to support yourself with solid reasons.
2. Learn the basics about metadata and Romanization. I do recommend knowing the basics about Mandarin as well since Romanization is a work requires knowledge about both ends, though I do not expect you to do this much because it seems you have no idea about what is Romanization.
3. Be consistent with your behavior. Pretending to participate in the discussion actively while sending out personal attacks backstage is really a naivete and ignorant act. Especially when your participation in this discussion is full of illogical, self-contradictory, disrespectful, rude content to others. Again, those will NOT make your points accepted by others but could only impair your infinitesimally remaining reputation.
4. Try forming up solid response toward statements or ideas of others when you disagree. However, this only applies after you proved yourself fulfill the first three points. Personally, I do not expect you to fulfill them soon as the above three are already too hard for you, from your previous words. But I listed it there for your future reference.

Best wishes!
CrystilonZ
lol ok I'm starting to understand what the hell is going on. First of all let me rephrase some points being made here to avoid confusion. Please correct me if I'm wrong because this is getting crazy

Regraz wrote:

First, In formal Chinese writing, there is no logograms as well.
I believe what Regraz is trying to say here is about inputting Chinese characters using Latin keyboards. To type Hanzi characters you simply write the pinyin for them and because of there are a lot of characters with the same pronunciation, usually there will be a pop-up list like this for you to choose the characters from

For clarification I did not type the spaces there myself. The computer separates syllables for you and I believe this is what HW mentioned.s
The thing is this is just a way to input Hanzi characters into an electronic system. In the example above wo men de ai is never supposed to be the final result. The way you input stuff is not at all related to how you Romanise things.

I'd like to explain about Chinese characters being logographic as well.
You guys seem to have a little confusion about how characters are formed and how they function nowadays.
Some characters like 月 originally looked like the crescent moon. These are said to be characters with pictographic origin.
Some characters like 上 are created by trying to convey a concept, which in this case is up on above w/e. These are said to be characters with ideographic origin.
There are more ways that Hanzi characters are created but I'll not go there since they are not really related to the topic atm.
However, these are how characters are created not how they function. It's really really important to keep this in mind. As I can see this is where the misconception stems from.
Right now these characters function are to represent words or phrases. Therefore Mandarin is, by definition, a logographic language.

The whole mess above are a result of piling misconceptions I believe due to language barrier or whatever. From now on I'd like to request everyone involving in this discussion to refrain from using condescending tone, sarcasm, personal insults and anything that can impede the process. Don't take every fucking thing personally. Read these things with three pieces of chocolate chip cookie and a cup of tea.

Shad0w1and wrote:

So let's face the reality, there isn't a standard for Chinese romanization into ANSI code. I can't understand that without a commonly accepted standard, why would you guys try to change the current metadata rule?
We've expressed (thoroughly I believe) what problems the current system has. Please read all the previous points made in this discussion.
Mafumafu

CrystilonZ wrote:

The thing is this is just a way to input Hanzi characters into an electronic system. In the example above wo men de ai is never supposed to be the final result. The way you input stuff is not at all related to how you Romanise things.
This paragraph is quite illogic.

“The thing is this is just a way to input Hanzi characters into an electronic system” I have no idea on why you use a “just”, maybe you want to state your opinion that inputting Han Zi into an electronic system is not related to Romanization? This is completely wrong. Romanization of Mandarin is closely related to inputting with computers or other electronic systems.

wo men de ai is never supposed to be the final result.” What final result do you mean? From the Romanization point view, Wo Men De Ai or wo men de ai has already been a final result! By stepping ahead you will have the Chinese characters you are going to input, which is, in osu! The title/artist in Mandarin.

“The way you input stuff is not at all related to how you Romanise things.” Totally problematic, as mentioned above. It is closedly related to Romanization under contemporary prospective.

CrystilonZ wrote:

I'd like to explain about Chinese characters being logographic as well.
You guys seem to have a little confusion about how characters are formed and how they function nowadays.
Some characters like 月 originally looked like the crescent moon. These are said to be characters with pictographic origin.
Some characters like 上 are created by trying to convey a concept, which in this case is up on above w/e. These are said to be characters with ideographic origin.
There are more ways that Hanzi characters are created but I'll not go there since they are not really related to the topic atm.
However, these are how characters are created not how they function. It's really really important to keep this in mind. As I can see this is where the misconception stems from.
Right now these characters function are to represent words or phrases. Therefore Mandarin is, by definition, a logographic language.
This paragraph is even more illogic than that above. I think it is you who have quite a few confusions toward Chinese/Mandarin and the characters.

You did a try to bifurcate origin and function of a word (actually they are combined and in a synergy now, however) by referencing some standard that is pretty irrelevant to what we discussed here. I think you missed (or omitted) the title of the the ISO file you quoted, is called “Graphic technology -- Symbols for text proof correction”

ISO wrote:

ISO 5776:2016 specifies symbols for use in copy preparation and proof correction in alphabetic languages and in logographic languages. It is applicable to texts submitted for correction, whatever their nature or presentation (manuscripts, typescripts, printer's proofs, etc.), and for marking up copy for all methods of composition.
See? This standard is specific for copy preparation and proof correction. The standard has to classify languages into types for the sake of copy preparation and proof correction since in this standard, copy preparation and proof correction of alphabetical and logographic language differs. Moreover, I believe copy preparation and proof correction is quite digressing and deviant from the topic here.

So I would like to borrow your sentence here:

CrystilonZ wrote:

It's really really important to keep this in mind.
Actually, more pertinent standards have already been provided by Hollow Wings above, however, you totally give no attention on them when posting stuffs here while bring up this standard. This is really not a good manner. And it failed to be a support to your statement.

I have some other comments:

CrystilonZ wrote:

From now on I'd like to request everyone involving in this discussion to refrain from using condescending tone, sarcasm, personal insults and anything that can impede the process. Don't take every fucking thing personally. Read these things with three pieces of chocolate chip cookie and a cup of tea.
It is really interesting to read this: “I'd like to request everyone involving in this discussion to refrain from using condescending tone, sarcasm, personal insults and anything that can impede the process.”

So who do you think is using condescending tone, sarcasm, personal insults and anything that can impede the atmosphere of this discussion? Wasn’t the discussion going on well until someone abruptly broken in and started to insult others? This sentence from you, misleads people to think that, many people are violating the code of conduct while, in fact, there is only one (maybe) who is doing obnoxious stuffs.

CrystilonZ wrote:

Please read all the previous points made in this discussion.
This is exactly what I want to say to you, though actually I would like to say: Please read all the previous points made carefully in this discussion. Rest of your misconceptions have been already explained by Hollow Wings and Fycho so, if you choose to ignore them and force your idea, then I have nothing to do with that. People do not want to explain over and over again as that is pretty time-wasting.
Hollow Wings
pretty clear that almost all of wafu's replies are nonsense, just like what CrystilonZ did.

------------

Wafu wrote:

So, first of all, I'm quite surprised you are even trying to prove how Chinese is not logogram language. One says pictogram, one says ideogram, one says ideophonograph. I feel like you're trying to defend this so much that you have to take every single thing we said (even out of context, by the way) and simply make up something and say "do your research", while completely ignoring what we said.
i'm not defending you anything, i'm picking up international standard to show concepts that have officially confirmed, not what you're using as usual words or just some wikipedia instant knowledge.

Wafu wrote:

You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese,
↑ and this the most hilarious thing i've saw this day.

i'm Chinese so i have no priority in this matter? you gonna be kidding.
on the contrary, Chinese people have the exact highest priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese.

i'll mark this so hard so that it can be a very useful joke to reply everything you have post and want to post.

Wafu wrote:

so stop acting like you are the better one and we know nothing because we didn't read document X, which nobody's even provided us before (and one of you in particular accusing others of not reading it, while misunderstanding it). Today's Chinese language is using only logograms. Origin of many of these logograms is pictographic or ideographic. You have to realise that something having pictographic/... features doesn't mean it's not logogram. I think you should know it, if you want to use it as an argument. What Hollow Wings said about this, by the way, is exactly proving that CrystilonZ was completely right on the fact that Chinese is logogram language, it's just that HW didn't understand the concept mentioned in the ISO file.
nonsense.
and how ignorant.
there're tons of Chinese characters' still using their pictographic and ideographic features. i'm even too tired to give examples.

if you didn't read an international document that lot's of official governments of countries identified, then i'm better than you for sure.
because you are still ignorant about what the world's level common concepts are, and it is you who's the one don't understand the concept mentioned in the ISO file.

besides, nobody provide us that document as well, we find it by ourselves, and try hard to catch the international standard.
sadly that you didn't do that, and just like you talking in your own area lower than international level.
if you still have no interest in reading and knowing some international identified informantions, then you can still keep things understood from nowhere.
that leads to the fact that your understanding are just misunderstanding, and you refuse to correct it.

------------------------------------

Wafu wrote:

1. 1. You have to remember that ISO being international doesn't mean that we have to follow ISO (After all we would be breaking many of their standards, even in the other Romanisation systems). There are many references and standards that are not ISO and are better in quality and design. It's not like taking one thing that benefits you is going to help. Regardless, as I've read this standard (and if you are concerned that I may not have done some research, this is a tiny part of what I've read to make my opinions on this issue, the research is much deeper than a single ISO document), I think it benefits you less than you think it does. In fact, from what arguments you are quoting, you don't seem to understand it very well on your own (or maybe you just expressed yourself poorly, but you misrepresent the document you are promoting here).
nonsense.

do you ever know how ISO7098:2015 was born?
it's done after thousands of language specialists' research, and went through a long time even after 3 times' editions, refering all of works related to Chinese romanisation to do their best to avoid troubles from it.
then eventually give a result as that ISO document.

you are saying your little reserch is greater than theirs? and so that osu community can override that ISO standard?
another joke confirmed.

we've already showed what inconvenient troubles those things may occur, and those are still small part of it.
but you even haven't cared any of them, even thought you are like albe to solve them with your research.

besides, other rules mentioned like "The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography" is a country level standard which called "GB/T" identified by PRC government.
and there're a lot more documents like that, about Chinese romanisation.
i still don't wanna mention these because osu community is an international community, and i thought it's not appropriate to rule it with one countries' standard, since it's just made for ourselves (and actually only in elementary education and test area, as a tool to learn how to read Chinese characters), not for other non-Chinese people.
then ISO shall be a better choice, obviously, at least better than GB/T.

you gonna throw away ISO the international standard and pick up some PRC standard?
Wafu: "You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese,"
hell, we Chinese people have even higher pirority about standards made by our own country.

or you wanna create some osu rules aside of them, and even result in more and more troubles?
that will be surely a worse system than the current, not a better one.

------------

Wafu wrote:

1. 2. I already addressed this point in the previous post, but it was kinda taken out of the context. I already explained this in relation to Chinese script incompatibility. Anyway, what you're trying to say here is quite a non-sense. None of the listed languages are actually ideographic. All of these are logogram languages that partially use ideographic characters, but mostly characters that just originate from ideographic characters. The languages itself use logograms.
nonsense, and ignorant, again.

see what i've said about Chinese characters above, tired to repeat.

besides, do your research about Latin characters' pictographic property, like why you call eye "eye", to become a person knows Latin characters actually more than me.

------------

Wafu wrote:

1. 3. This has been addressed already. There's no reason why the missing reversibility factor would impair Latin script users from reading or memorizing this (that, however, is impaired by the current system which is reversible). It only has impact on people who actually can use Chinese language, these people do have a solution. The original title/artist is still present, so they don't need to reverse it to logograms. For Latin script users, there's no reason why they would want to reverse the text.

This is the part that many of you have taken out of the context, and therefore misunderstood it. Again, Romanisation (internationally), is not designed for people who are fluent in Chinese, so there is no reason why they would want to convert it back to logograms. For those who are fluent in Chinese, you literally have it in the original title/artist.

"Transliteration won't do, we need to do "Transcription"" argument doesn't make much sense. Not only, as I explained above, it's really not needed in this scenario, but at the same time, you are saying this and want to support a system that omits the phonetics? That literally makes it transliteration.

"we chinese ourselves even cant understand what those words said in a short time, if they are all written in Latin characters of pinyin one by one" Don't make this up. If you can't understand Romanised text, it's because you can't process Latin script, again, there's the original title/artist for you to clarify it. You are not the primary target of the Romanisation. It's more important for a regular player to be able to memorize and read the title/artist, than for Chinese player to memorize, read and understand both the original and Romanised titles/artists.
the reason i show you it's not reversible is mainly telling you that Chinese characters are really special in romanisation area.

and as i have said, and i say this again here, is that:

THE TRASNCRPTION STANDARD OF CHINESE-LATIN IS NEVER EVER COMPLETED BY FAR.

do you ever know how much troubles through the way we wanna find the method to converse Chinese the ideophonographic characters into some system composed with alphabetic characters?
that work have been last for over 70 years, and it's still in program.
which means all of so called Chinese-Latin transcription method are uncompleted, that's the most important point i want all of you noticed.

and the best system from all of them, is the ISO.
why???
because Latin characters of pinyin for Chinese is made for us to show people who don't know Chinese characters' reading.
this is the original purpose of pinyin, it will never replace Chinese characters itself, because it can't do what Chinese characters do.
the romanisation of Chinese working is actually: Chinese character → pinyin.

AND, THAT WORKING STILL HAS NO STABLE STANDARD.

what you've post like " Don't make this up. If you can't understand Romanised text, it's because you can't process Latin script, again, there's the original title/artist for you to clarify it." is just completely nonsense.

have you earn any idea about how difficult it is to transcript Chinese characters into Latin characters even you wanna make its words separated?

you may have no idea because you just missed what i've posted with so long components.
well the deep reason of it is just because you barely know anything about Chinese.

and what the heck necessary is if i shall understand romanised text or not? Latin script is just one of tools to show how to pronunce Chinese character, and nothing more to it.

what's more, none of tools can do that better because that's how complex Chinese character's pronunciation is like.

and that's why we prefer one by one character transcription because it occurs the least trouble, at any side of the romanisation work.

Wafu wrote:

B
  1. 1. Not worth talking about. This is a bit more out of topic and should already be clear from the previous discussion.
  2. 2. The same way we're doing it for Japanese. And we are doing it for Japanese. The "Metadata Heap" Discord server is quite a big one and people do solve issues here quite quickly and effectively. Even for the languages they don't know very well. You really underestimate this community if you think it will be only and only up to staff members. Sure, they have to recheck, but if this is discussed in the channel, they generally have a good starting point. So far, I haven't seen a problem that wasn't resolved there, it really shouldn't be that big of a drama that you make it look like (And yes, even QATs/GMTs are active here, but they don't do majority of the requests on their own). This is, therefore, not an issue.
1. how is that out of topic when all Chinese language families' standard is Mandarin Chinese, which CrystilonZ really wanna focus on building the system for?
it is just like you are refusing to face it.

create all of those Chinese language's individual rules, or just follow Mandarin Chinese.
i don't see this is out of topic.

2. how ridiculous, that you compare Chinese to Japanese.

Japanese's kanji is part of Chinese culture, the main Japanese part is still structured by alphabetic characters: hiragana and katagana.
no trouble with most Japanese romanisation works when they are hiragana and katagana, just like other alphabetic languages.
only have trouble with kanji, which is really "Chinese" like.

However.

it's still a small part of Japanese, which means it can be recognized easily with those kanji's property.
then easily romanized into its proper Latin characters from its pronunciation, even kanji are written together:
there're still rare conditions need to be discussed.

that will not work for Chinese characters, because Chinese are structured with only hanzi.

"落下"

↑ simple Chinese word here. until i tell you what is said before or after this word, or the sentence contain it, or even the whole article,
you won't know how to read this word.
and that means you won't know what's its correct pinyin.
and that means you can't romanize it.

this is just a simple word example, that will be widely happend in sentence. just stop here because there're enough examples before.

even you have a great group of people that willing to do it, i will always doult that you can actually do it correct, because there's no standard for it and even Chinese people may not know what's the correct answer.

besides, google or wikipedia won't help to reduce the staff's pressure when you guys do the previous work and just leave recheck work to them.

if you always meet song title like: "达拉崩吧", "但愿人长久", "唐僧在女儿国抒怀并看着女儿国王的眼睛" or "如果下雨的时候你拖着行李箱子站在屋檐下面那么其实我没有足够的时间找一个好一点的理由抛弃家里面的狗坐上K667次列车到你在的地方找个商店买一把伞然后给我妹妹弹吉他因为她要参加比赛所以我回不去了我也不会给你说我泡面的碗还没洗好“.

Wafu wrote:

C
  1. 1. 1. Same as for the the last point in B. This is not at all an issue. The second part of it, I don't think people take metadata DQs so negatively. I don't remember a single time it happened that people stopped mapping songs of certain language due to complicated metadata, even since metadata became more strict.
  2. 1. 2. Already addressed, this is not what should be discussed. Current system doesn't solve this even though you may imply it does. It doesn't.
  3. 1. 3. The result is "keep the current state" because of the conservative stance. From what I've seen, Chinese people argued for this system poorly and detached from the community that it's primarily about. Now the target community argues for something else, that doesn't mean you just keep conservative stance because we are not Chinese. The argument can never be that "it was discussed by Chinese community" because it's not only about you. We also don't say: "You can't judge most of the things because you don't know how Latin script languages work.", so don't do that to us.
  4. 2. Already explained in above paragraphs.
1.1 i think you just don't get it at all, for you don't understand that no standards is identified. this is addressed lots of time.

1.2 the current system is a better one than what you wanna bring. this is addressed lots of time, even with its reason.

1.3 and that doesn't mean you are the one to make it forward, because you don't have that ability. this is addressed lots of time.

and ofc i'll say and do this as much as i can: you can't judge most of things because you don't know how Chinese script language work. and because of that, you also don't know how romanisation of Chinese script language work. that's why you are still here argued with nonsense.

maybe i know less about Latin script than you, even i can type and compose English words myself.
and you know less about Chinese script than me, even you can hardly know any character of Chinese.

------------

Wafu wrote:

1. 1. Again, nothing is going to be "up to Chinese staff", they don't even communicate about metadata much. It doesn't need to be automatic. Japanese is also not automatic. Your assumption that people who are not Chinese can't do Chinese metadata is incorrect. There are people who do it (e.g. in the aforementioned Discord server for metadata), some do it more reliably than Chinese people. There are many people who look up Japanese characters one by one and they are very accurate with it, even though you have to think of exceptions (there are even Chinese alternatives that are more accurate, btw.). This is not a problem again, unless you assume that where you are born determines what metadata you can do, which is not true.
again, nonsense with ignorant, that you compare Chinese to Japanese. won't text more addressed thing here.

Wafu wrote:

1. 2. I don't understand why you would enforce some "preconditions" in your post. I understand you want people to do some research, which is okay, but remember it works vice-versa.
because i think we shall talk about things at the international stage, so the standard of international level document is the basic prediction of our topic and discussion.

but since you thought that you can even create something that overrides international standards and throw those things international groups confirmed and identified away, ofc you won't understand anything of it.

Wafu wrote:

1. 3. Ancient Chinese was not an ideogram language. You've also proven CrystilonZ right, you just used different terms.
how ignorant that you even don't understand what Ancient Chinese is.

and Ancient Chinese do is an ideogram language.

Wafu wrote:

To your point about us being "wrong". You don't know what Romanisation is about. The idea that Chinese Romanisation's goal is not at all to help non-Chinese people is non-sense. We are not in China where you don't care. We are in osu!, which is an international game. Concept of Romanisation in China is different than Romanisation worldwide (target = people using Latin script, this is what we need to use, otherwise we wouldn't have Romanisation at all). Consider everyone equal rather than saying that someone doesn't understand how hard it is because they are not Chinese. 1. Yes, CrystilonZ could Romanise Chinese. 2. That doesn't say much, but no, you don't need to have extreme experience in Chinese to find correct artist name and song title. 3. I don't know where your information about staff's real life and education stems from. osu! is not a full-time job, so these people can very well be experienced in languages. And no, we don't need to pay language specialists, we never did pay anyone and even complicated metadata is being actively produced.
nonsense with ignorance.

go and learn history about how pinyin was born. and you'll find that it's not at all to help non-Chinese people is non-sense is wrong.

i said so called pinyin you can see today is almost romanisation of Chinese, but that's not the purpose it was made.
the pinyin is just made for EVRYONE OF people who don't know how to read Chinese character, including Chinese people themselves.
their are lot's of other formations of alphabetic language AND ideophonographic language method that can do that.

romanisation of Chinese is just one of it, and it's not the thing that effect the convertion much.
it's the mode of convertion which can't be easily decide effect the most.

back to the romanisation of Chinese to non-Chinese speakers: they are all the same as Chinese babies who don't know how to read Chinese characters. in that case, romanisation is never a project to serve non-Chinese speakers, but all people who don't know how to read Chinese characters.
so if you require some "Romanisation worldwide" then sadly as i've already addressed, no standard has been identified.

and from the last part i can see that you still don't get it, so i address this again: there is no standard of it.

with low efficiency, not international, and result in wrong ends.

Wafu wrote:

Conclusion:

I think I addressed all the relevant points. I want to make it clear that if some parts sound harsh, that's not what I intended. I just want this discussion to be fair for everyone. (and without Regraz's attempts to make fun of someone)

I hope this makes some clearer. The biggest issue I see you guys didn't understand is how Romanisation works internationally, outside of China. That's probably what makes you all not realise that being able to convert Romanisation back to Chinese is not the primary intention (especially not in osu!, where the original Chinese titles will be visible)
the biggest issue here now is:

1. you think you can override international standards, before you even starting talking about romanisation works internatinally.

2. striked with thoughts like "You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese," which just make other people like "what the hell is this guy even talking about".

clear your mind before you make any further nonsense like things above, i don't see what direction all these mess would leads.
Wafu

Regraz wrote:

Regardless of the totally illogic post Wafu made above, I find it interesting and ironic that Wafu’s post here is in fact contradicting what Wafu sent me in forum private message.

I even could not help laughing when Wafu said:

Wafu wrote:

…and without Regraz's attempts to make fun of someone
Maybe Wafu did a provocative (but bad?) try to labelize, defame, calumniate and libel others? However, from his PM to me, it seems Wafu himself even failed to keep his words civilized. I will attach the screenshot of that forum pm here for everyone to read.

Who do you think is actually making fun of others?
Your false accusations (of us not reading stuff or not being professional) did, indeed, make me send you this message (and it is called exactly that: "Private message"). I'm not making fun of you as it was not public, you making it public doesn't mean I'm making fun of you. I wanted you to know that putting this down to "there's no research" was unfair of you, as you didn't invest your time into the research either. Was I being rude to you in the private message? Yes, as as you were when you clearly did, intentionally ridicule the proposal, except I at least could keep it private.

I did not label anyone. If there is a single case in my post where I did so, I'm willing to apologize to that person. I didn't use any racial slur (I used epithet as an example that is actually relevant to the discussion, didn't aim it at anyone, that's pretty clear in my post), I didn't use "Chinese" with relation to any stereotype or in an insulting manner (if you are concerned about the word "conservative", I stated the definition in the beginning, this is not related to politics, it's just "I don't want change" stance). I did not defame/calumniate/libel others, I did give counter-arguments to all the points that seem to be invalid based on the reasons I've given (majority of them were given before, but I had to make this post essentially again, because the discussion in the proposal was mostly ignored). Yes, I did say "you should know this" or something along the lines. That is because if you have some requirements for us (e.g. reading ISO documents), you should at least know things that you are required to know to understand the document in the first place.

I did not use profanity in that post when elaborating your reply. In fact, I didn't use profanity in that post at all. Proof. I was fair to everyone publicly, but mentioned that I did not like your attitude towards us when publicly humiliating us and suggested that people would refrain from it in this discussion. Rewriting a table (that was used to compare and summarize points that were elaborated before) to something that exists for no other reason than to humiliate someone, is not what anyone expects in a discussion where people are trying to give arguments.

Regraz wrote:

Sadly, arrogantly defining Chinese as a logographic language is a pure fallacy. In formal Chinese writing today, Chinese characters are input by keyboards in a syllabic way, and it is the dominant method of inputting Chinese (and its Romanization as well) in osu! amongst players. Under the mixed impact of other languages and the development of currently dominant input method of Chinese in Internet, especially when it comes to romanization, "you called" logographic characteristics of Chinese is increasingly ambiguous. Your statement is already groundless and archaic because you still stay with writing Chinese characters in paper, instead of considering the input method with keyboards, which is syllable-oriented and in fact supports the current syllable-based metadata (Romanization) scheme.
Why am I arrogant for saying that Chinese is a logographic language? What you are saying is a fallacy, because you are changing the topic to relation of language to keyboards. Yes, logograms can be typed as syllables on a keyboard. That however doesn't change the class of the characters. This is because you can't fit all the characters on one keyboard. Language is logographic if it is using primarily logograms. Hanzi, by definition, are logograms, that is what makes Chinese logographic language. It's the characters that are logograms, that makes it logographic language, even though you write Chinese differently on the keyboard, it doesn't change definition of logogram, nor the fact that the resulting characters are logograms. If couldn't find an example of a Chinese character that is not logogram, I don't think that several standards, including ISO would get it wrong.

Regraz wrote:

Learn the basics about metadata and Romanization. I do recommend knowing the basics about Mandarin as well since Romanization is a work requires knowledge about both ends, though I do not expect you to do this much because it seems you have no idea about what is Romanization.
I said what it is about and what the intention is (even in the proposal posts). You just ignored the reasoning completely.
-Atri-

Wafu wrote:

You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese,

Let me reword that:
"You, as Westerners have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese"
Sieg
Summary on Russian \ Cyrillic Romanisation:

Current wording, was agreed as needed to be improved in previous discussion 10 months ago.

draft wrote:

Cyrillic Romanisation: Use BGN/PCGN system for Russian/Cyrillic. Е and е should be romanised as ye if it stands alone or after a, e, ё, и, о, у, ы, э, ю, я, й, ъ, ь. In other cases, it should be romanised as e. ё should be romanised to ye, however, use yo or o to avoid usage of special characters. Ignore any other rules in the file provided, these are either irrelevant or wouldn't help in the game. If an artist uses a preferred romanisation, follow it regardless of this rule. For most of the other characters, refer to the first page of this document.

draft wrote:

Songs with Russian metadata must be romanised using the Cyrillic Romanisation method in romanised fields when there is no romanisation or translation information listed by a reputable source. The same applies to the Source field if a romanised Source is preferred by the mapper.

Lack in the current wording is attempt to generalize all Cyrillic based languages with replacement rules discussed and agreed only for Russian language.
While we suggest to use BGN/PCGN there is ASCII limitation in osu! for romanisation fields. So it was discussed and agreed on replacement rules for "special" characters from other standards e.g. from ISO 9:1995 for "ё" - "yo" (in BGN/PCGN it stated as "ё" - "ë" or "yë"). Also exceptions was done for some phonetic sequences.
Considering that there are may be cases where expanding rules that work for Russian language to others wont give acceptable results. Same for simply mention of BGN/PCGN for other Cyrillic based languages because as stated we have ASCII limitations or other not covered unavoidable exceptions.

proposal for new wording (changes are highlighted)
Russian Romanisation: Use BGN/PCGN system. Е and е should be romanised as ye if it stands alone or after a, e, ё, и, о, у, ы, э, ю, я, й, ъ, ь. In other cases, it should be romanised as e. ё should be romanised to ye, however, use yo or o to avoid usage of special characters. Ignore any other rules in the file provided, these are either irrelevant or wouldn't help in the game. If an artist uses a preferred romanisation, follow it regardless of this rule. For most of the other characters, refer to the first page of this document.
Songs with Russian metadata must be romanised using the Russian Romanisation method in romanised fields when there is no romanisation or translation information listed by a reputable source. The same applies to the Source field if a romanised Source is preferred by the mapper.
As for other Cyrillic based languages I propose to leave it to case by case scenario because current amount of such sets are negligible.

Kurai wrote:

- Cyrillic Romanisation should follow the BGN/PCGN system (except for the letter ё in Russian which should follow the GOST 2002(B) system). Read more here: http://up.kuraip.net/032209ex3724.pdf
Well.. we can separate Ukrainian and discuss details but due to extremely low amount of beatmaps and people involved I don't see this as productive work.
Wafu
@Sieg: Yes, I did split it previously, but somehow it didn't end up edited in the proposal. Not sure where the error was, I maybe didn't remind them to add it. I will mention this. Your proposed wording seems about right.

Answering to Hollow Wings by the ----- paragraphs:

1. 1. First of all, you did use the ISO document as your argument, but you didn't even know that the citation about "ideophonograph" language was just confirming what CrystilonZ posted. You agree with ISO on the same thing that you disagree with CrystilonZ on. They state the same thing. Second of all, stop taking what I said out of the context again. I didn't say Chinese have no say in this matter, I said they are not the primary target, Chinese don't need Romanisation to be able to read, memorize and search the Chinese title/artist. It's Latin script users who need it. I did explicitly explain what I mean by this, you call me ignorant in multiple parts of your post, but at the same time, you ignored what I said about this part. This makes complete sense, if you don't just cut it like this.

"i'll mark this so hard so that it can be a very useful joke to reply everything you have post and want to post."
    Not sure if you are even serious with this part, but either way, it's not a very useful joke. You are encouraging people to use it against us, instead of using arguments. Please refrain from that. If you want a serious discussion, stop humiliating people and taking stuff out of context.

Yes, I agree with that point. Some Chinese characters indeed do use "pictographic and ideographic features". You even quoted me saying that. That doesn't make the language pictographic or ideographic, because even the characters with pictographic or ideographic features are logograms. That makes the language logographic. Why do you call something non-sense and then say the same thing?

I didn't say I did not read the document. In fact I did read it before the proposal was even submitted. There is, however, more stuff important to read than just one standard. This was in relation to your false accusations—we were accused of not reading that and were treated as uninformed/unintelligent/unskilled/whatever you wanna call it. Even if I didn't read it, you wouldn't suddenly have the right to override whatever I said. We could do the same thing, tell you that you didn't read what we did, and ignore you from the discussion, we have never done anything like that. We are discussing with you no matter how much research you have.

I'm not refusing to correct anything. I won't just correct something that we have a pretty sensible argument for.
  2. 2. Not sure why you call it non-sense again. How is it relevant whether I know how a document was made? I never said it is bad, I said it is not the only reference we should consider and that it is not the best for osu!. Already gave reasons for that.

I never said my "little research" is better than ISO's, so I don't understand this accusation again. osu! community can ignore ISO standard because we are not obligated to use ISO standards. We are breaking many standards in osu! (including all the Romanisation systems we use right now (except for Korean), even the current Chinese Romanisation breaks its standards). If we see the benefit of breaking a standard, we can do that. Because you promote ISO standards in osu!, I have a question. How would you deal with the issue that ISO actually has, which is that their research takes such a long time that by the time of the publication of the documents, the data is outdated and sometimes limiting (some going even 10 years outdated, despite being released in 2015)? That's why I mentioned that having a wider knowledge rather than relying on one standard is important. It limits us. And by this, I'm not saying ISO is bad, I'm saying there are issues with every standard, sticking to one that would cause us issues wouldn't be the best choice.

Higher priority about standards made by your own country? It doesn't belong to your country. I already explained that you taking this out of context doesn't help anything. I explained why Chinese don't have the highest priority here very clearly.
  3. 3. Explained it in the 1. point. And several posts before. It's not non-sense, and it's not ignorant. You are the one who took what I said out of the context.

Why would I do my research on Latin script's pictographic property? Why are you even commanding me to do a research, again? And why do you think you know Latin script better than I do? I don't understand where this is coming from and why'd you even have to make this comment.
  4. 4. The first part, we've been over this. I even addressed this and again, this is true, but it doesn't make ISO the best for our needs.

Second part, more accusations? As I already said, people can convert Chinese to Latin script this way (already mentioned which part of community can), you are intentionally making it look harder than it is. Chinese to this system is not hard, it's the other way around which is harder, but reversible way is not necessary because you have the original title here.

In context of osu!, it's not only about pronouncing the Chinese characters. It's about reading, memorizing and pronouncing. All of these parts are crucial, you can't ignore them again, I did explain this thoroughly. Even if the opinion among the majority of the community was that only pronunciation is important, then the current system still has more pronunciation problems than the proposed one. Already explained that too.
  5. 5. This is off-topic because this topic was already clearly explained, and why the case-by-case system would be used for it (as it is, even now). Why are you giving us only two options, when we explained a third option, which anyway would mostly tell you to use Mandarin Romanisation?

I don't compare Chinese with Japanese. I compare the way we Romanise Japanese, because it has the same problem. I don't understand what's your problem here. I was obviously talking about Kanji, as that's the part where Romanisation is complicated. Again, there have been no issues.

"besides, google or wikipedia won't help to reduce the staff's pressure when you guys do the previous work and just leave recheck work to them"
    What? Who talks about Wikipedia? That's literally even said to be an unreliable source for metadata. This system doesn't mean that they will have to check it from now and on. They are already checking it, so it's not this systems problem. I said these people, who actually do check metadata actively (not exactly calling it staff), would give quite enough references, and from what I've seen, majority of cases have been successful even with very complicated metadata. The pressure on staff will be minimal because of this, already explained this though.
  6. 6. Could you please reword your first point? It doesn't seem related to what I said at all. You are telling me that I don't understand something when I was talking about an experience. (no, this is not meant to be provocative as some of you will think, this is not to mock HW's English, I genuinely can't understand what the meaning of that sentence and want HW to reword it if they want me to understand it).

The second point, I could say that too. It was only addressed internally within the Chinese community. The target group are Latin script users, don't just end it with "it was discussed many times in past".

Third point, not sure why you are personally attacking me. How do you know what my education is, what my job is, what my real life is? You don't know any single thing about my personal life, so don't act like you do. I could just tell you that you use VPN and accuse you of not being Chinese and can't participate in this discussion. I never did anything like that, so stop doing it.
  7. 7. If you have problem with me comparing how osu! works for 2 different Romanisation, I think there's a different problem. Stop calling me ignorant if you ignore what I've even written in that paragraph. It's also not non-sense. I literally just say how people work. How can that be non-sense? That is an observation.

Already talked about this. I also don't ignore you because you didn't read what we did.

Oh yeah, call me ignorant again. Ancient Chinese was, again, a logographic language because it used logograms, not ideograms. Yes, the logograms did have ideographic features. Again, that doesn't make the language ideographic.
  8. 8. As for the rest, I don't think I have to respond to that. I already explained that this is how Romanisation should work in this game, I did repeat this in 3 posts or more already, so I don't think copying it is required.
As for the end "you think you can override international standards, before you even starting talking about romanisation works internatinally", it was explicitly explained multiple times.

"striked with thoughts like "You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese," which just make other people like "what the hell is this guy even talking about"", sure, it's going to sound bad if you take it out of the context like this.

@Firis Mistlud: This thread is for discussion about the proposal. Not about trolling and taking this out of the context.
VINXIS
ehat are u on wafu and why do u expect people to follow your Almost Character limit hitting posts can u ATLEAST stop vomiting a bunch of dictionary words

you are talking to an international community and you expect people who speak English as a second/third/fourth hand language to follow ur posts saturated with random noise Ok
CrystilonZ
To be honest I'm very pissed off right now and you have no idea how hard it is for me to post in this calm manner.

First off

Firis Mistlud wrote:

Wafu wrote:

You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese, <--- True

Let me reword that:
"You, as Westerners have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese" <--- Also true

You, as Chinese have no priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese. I believe all people here are civilised people and civilised people argue with reason.Read more about this here <Argument from authority>

Hollow Wings wrote:

on the contrary, Chinese people have the exact highest priority in this matter, just because it's about Chinese.
NONSENSE

Secondly

Hollow Wings wrote:

CrystilonZ wrote:

lol

NONSENSE.

here are some examples:

"Shi Shi Shi Shi Shi"

"Ji Ji Ji Ji Ji"

like "爷爷", "不星", etc.

This is for Regraz. Please allow me to demonstrate how Hollow Wings have been posting so far.

lol
DID YOU READ ANYTHING I POSTED AT ALL EXCEPT THE LAST LINE?
My opinion here partly AGREES WITH THE CHINESE SIDE and saying it's NONSENSE means you are CONTRADICTING YOURSELVES. This is what I said

CrystilonZ wrote:

Maybe people like Hollow Wings are not good at speaking English. Let me simplify this for you.
Phrases in pinyin are reversible with CONTEXT, but it is indeed quite hard (or impossible if the prerequisites aren't met) compared to other languages because in Mandarin there are a lot of HOMOPHONES.
Every single example you provide either does not have enough context or is ambiguous because of HOMOPHONES. EXACTLY LIKE I SAID
Furthermore you even mentioned the input method yourselves. What you input is pinyin and if IT'S IN ALL CASES IRREVERSIBLE HOW EXACTLY DO COMPUTERS CHANGE THOSE INTO HANZI CHARACTERS?
Read more about this fallacy here <Faulty Generalisation>

I'm going to stop here. Can you see that the text above is really condescending and provoking?
There are a bunch of misconception here because of bad interpretation or bad agreements plagued with fallacy and unfortunately I don't have enough time to go through all of them.
abraker

Tofu1222 wrote:

abraker wrote:

Don't you see that you are in the wrong topic.
Metadata covers tag guideline/rules. How am I in the wrong topic?
Sieg

abraker wrote:

I don't see any restrictions for this right now as long as they are related to the set. Also don't think that this worth specific mentioning.
VINXIS
the discussion of this topic shouldve ended like w few posts sfter fychos

it makes absolutely no sense that the chinese do not have the higher priority when talking about chinese.. it is Quite Literally the language that they speak AND they are also... Quite Literally... the most Affected by the proposal regarding chinese metadata.. not sure how the priority of a group of people is parallel to a nonreasonable discussion either..

why has the discussion even devolved to the point where we are talking about he method of speaking to one another in chinese when this is in fact about chinese metadata which is mostly targeting the track's title and artist

i think what fycho said makes sense in that chimese metadata should be separated by syllables since it is the standard of romanization used in many other places evidently and it's easier for chinese people to understand the titling + it really doesnt make it any harder to read the title/artist with separated syllables so i dont see the harm in staying consistent with other platforms alongside making it easier for chinese people to..... read their own language L
Wafu

Mishima Yurara wrote:

it makes absolutely no sense that the chinese do not have the higher priority when talking about chinese.. it is Quite Literally the language that they speak AND they are also... Quite Literally... the most Affected by the proposal regarding chinese metadata.. not sure how the priority of a group of people is parallel to a nonreasonable discussion either..
To your previous post, if we discuss language, we will use terms related to languages and linguistics. I can't avoid that.

Can you elaborate how are people, who are able to read Chinese affected more than people who use Latin script? This is the difference for them: Current system, system in the proposal. In what scenario would Chinese read the the Latin title and convert it to Chinese, if it's in the game already? That's why Chinese isn't the highest priority. They are actually affected the least of all players by that, because they don't need to read the Romanised title/artist.

Mishima Yurara wrote:

it really doesnt make it any harder to read the title/artist with separated syllables so i dont see the harm in staying consistent with other platforms alongside making it easier for chinese people to..... read their own language L
Where's the basis for that? It does make it harder for the reasons mentioned already. In both the proposal and several of these posts. How do Chinese people read it easier, if the text doesn't change for them at all?
VINXIS
ive only seen Romanized Chinese separated by syllables everywhere and not by phrases or any other way
show more