forum

Why is cursor movement on 4+ years old plays so weird?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_9227906
Have you ever seen an old replay from 2007 - 2013? Why is the cursor movement so smooth? Could the players move their cursor like that? Is it about the replay system?
mulraf
i started in january 2012 and i can reassure you that the replays have no issues whatsoever as far as i know.
i can see what you mean in lybydose's play. uan's play i only watched the first 500 combos which seemed normal to me except for a bit of a different acceleration. i also watched some of my old replays and noticed the same acceleration and the first thing that instantly comes to mind is raw windows input (and maybe it was even more influential in older windows versions? idk). but nowadays you rarely see good players going without raw input. without raw input you get the effect of the cursor movement starting slower and gradually getting faster which might play a role in it looking a bit robotic. i spinned in squares that went along all 4 corners of the screen lol. i know that my sensivitiy and dpi got a lot faster than back in the days but i could never spin that far. it's because when spinning you got a lot of inital movement that makes you go a lot faster after a bit of time so you can't spin that close to the middle and that's what you also see in these videos.
then: as you can see in lybydose's play he seemingly plays mouse only. i'm sure you started the same way and you probably know that it plays a little different. it kinda feels like when you play a fps with recoil, after you clicked you gotta 'recover' before going to the next point.
old mice sensors could be another problem. maybe some people still had those old trackball mice back in 2008, i can imagine that. this can have various effects too.
the next possibilitie is the client. have you ever downloaded the old 2008 osu client? try playing with that. yeah. it's not just the looks that changed, you will feel how the old client was different.
Cryption
Due to old plays having 30fps instead of 60 so it makes it look weird
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_9227906
Ok, thanks
Penguin

mulraf wrote:

i started in january 2012 and i can reassure you that the replays have no issues whatsoever as far as i know.
This isn't true at all, you're thinking way too deep into this.

It's pretty simple, replays weren't recorded with 1:1 tracking back then, so the cursor had a lot of smoothing added to it in playback

Check out FunOrange's old 2013 replay, and you can see what I mean during the breaks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI18S5bwtqM)
DXPOHIHIHI
Idk I think the slow cursor movement that you think wont make the next hit-cirle is even weirder
abraker
old replays didn't record as many data points. They recorded data points on button click. Then changed to low frequency, then to what have now