forum

What makes a good avatar?

posted
Total Posts
show more
abraker

dedKK wrote:

Usually its made by the person who is looking for an avatar. Take a look at the masterpiece that I made.
High quality
himiken

abraker wrote:

dedKK wrote:

Usually its made by the person who is looking for an avatar. Take a look at the masterpiece that I made.
High quality
IKR. But in all seriousness though a good avatar is usually something that is made by the user himself, or is something that is truly unique and incorporates what makes you you.
Green Platinum
So the fact you are an osu player is unique to you on this site?
Akanagi

dedKK wrote:

or is something that is truly unique and incorporates what makes you you.
Except that you can't possibly pick an avatar that is not "you". You can go ahead and pick a blank white image because you're some nonconformist, or just pick some character from a game / anime etc., which you do because you either like or identify that character, just like you'd pick a blank image probably because you want to be different and special.

Liking something is always based on, well, you. Just like being able to identify with a certain character, so that's that.
Shohei Ohtani
hot anime girl with big smile
Topic Starter
Scioness

Rayne wrote:

dedKK wrote:

or is something that is truly unique and incorporates what makes you you.

Except that you can't possibly pick an avatar that is not "you". You can go ahead and pick a blank white image because you're some nonconformist, or just pick some character from a game / anime etc., which you do because you either like or identify that character, just like you'd pick a blank image probably because you want to be different and special.

Liking something is always based on, well, you. Just like being able to identify with a certain character, so that's that.

That's really an interesting way to look at it. Though, I think that you can like something without identifying with a character or attribute of that thing. Sometimes we like something because were impressed by it, or motivated by it.
Flauxy
MS paint avatars are obviously the best avatars, come on now.
Husa

Kahvichi wrote:

I just use what ever avatar i want.
It just depends on eye of the viewer. Other then that. every avatar is good avatar in its own way.
Green Platinum
This thread has gone to crap like anime opinion threads.

Just boring post-modernist stuff now.
Topic Starter
Scioness

Green Platinum wrote:

This thread has gone to crap like anime opinion threads.

Just boring post-modernist stuff now.

Yeah. I'm glad it existed, though. I got to hear some ideas.
jacksonisiah
have a cute anime girl.
xXOsuPersonXx
the question mark avatar you get when you join the game is best
Dilectus
Somehow everybody is into close-ups of anime girls.
Renaylria
I guess my profile pic falls under Medium Quality by abraker XD
Personally I try to take the style of the image I have at hand and try and fit my name into it. Try and make it feel like it was there to begin with... This also makes it really transparent though...
DXPOHIHIHI
My avatar is better than yours xd
VinZentVanDough
A good avatar requires an anime girl

B-)
- Incarndine -
Needs to clean and suit you, if you like it, its good.
Hasubi_old
It should be a pic of best girl
Green Platinum
Touhou, Love Live etc. avatars are automatically crap because there are too many people using them already. Have some originality.
dung eater
Something that makes you smile is good.
Kujar3

Rayne wrote:

5. The background and the character should have a certain contrast so the character is more distinguishable and generally more visible. The character should be the thing that stands out after all. A girl with green hair on a green and yellow background doesn't look very good.

F

Just to add something myself.
I have my own logo that I made a while ago, I usually use it everywhere, this place is full of Anime stuff weebs, so I went with my waifu for an avatar.
Whatever you find to be nice, I feel like you're overthinking it much, just go with what you feel like is the best for you. Could be a character from something you watch, could be a game character, can be your pet, can be your dream car or a landscape shot.
Some may be more suitable than others, some will just have a selfie as an avatar, that's an option too.

Besides, it's not like it's "for life", you can change daily, experiment and eventually settle for something.
Calamari
It should be a face.
Flanster
something that fits a lot with your post content
Quibbly
It MUST be anime-themed.
DXPOHIHIHI
1) it has to be an anime
2) it has to be best girl
3) it has to be lewd
Izzywing

Cometi wrote:

It should be a face.
mega woke
Comfy Slippers

Flanster wrote:

something that fits a lot with your post content
Ditto.

Both me and Asuka are:

-intellectually superior to other simpletons
-always showing high class
-multitalented
-the only true patricians in our respective surroundings
-beautiful
-passionate
-not caring. Anta baka!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing)
Funnily enough, it seems as everyone has embraced the 'cute anime girsl avys' as it serves as the primary example on this wiki page.
johnmedina999
I think it's a bonus if it matches with your signature, if present. Though I might have some bias on that one (:
ColdTooth
It has to be your OC

And it has to be cringe