forum

Tablet Purchase Guide for osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kyollo
Does this one seem legit? I live in Norway so selection of touch pads isnt too big :P would appreciate it if someone replies ^^

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-manga

PS: open for recommendation ;)
TakuMii
Intuos Manga = Intuos Pen&Touch with included Manga Studio Debut + Anime Studio Debut software

If that's the only one you have access to, go for it. If not, look for a cheaper Wacom tablet.
Rukia_old_1
Cinagro
Thread definitely needs an update, especially with the announcement of the Osu! tablet. There are also some cheaper ones on Amazon (VPad) that I'm wondering if anybody has tried.
Genshin

Cinagro wrote:

Thread definitely needs an update, especially with the announcement of the Osu! tablet. There are also some cheaper ones on Amazon (VPad) that I'm wondering if anybody has tried.
Since no one but the winners of the owc can have it (it's not on sale atm and probably it will never be), it shouldn't be considered as available Tablet.
Spyrunite
Just because it isn't on sale atm that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. It is definitely a valid option, planning ahead is a thing.
TakuMii

Genshin wrote:

Cinagro wrote:

Since no one but the winners of the owc can have it (it's not on sale atm and probably it will never be), it shouldn't be considered as available Tablet.
The osu!tablet is being mass-produced, so there's absolutely no reason for peppy not to sell them... It's not like he can use thousands of tablets all by himself.
Genshin
The osu!tablet is being mass-produced, so there's absolutely no reason for peppy not to sell them... It's not like he can use thousands of tablets all by himself.
Source?
(and price possibly)
happy30

Genshin wrote:

How did you even come up with this?

For information about osu!tablet go here↓
t/169139
TakuMii

Genshin wrote:

Source?
(and price possibly)
osu!tablet official thread (with availability info and estimated price)

older (locked) thread asking for feedback whether a bulk investment would be viable

I really don't know how you came to the conclusion that only OWC players would get them...
ksg
Good clarification on why one would use a tablet. Now I know I definitely don't need one.

Still, good and thorough guide.
Jafem
This sure helps me cause i am planning on wishing for a tablet for christmas. But what do i do when osu! tablet comes out.
Swift
I approve of this guide. ^^
Abbydicted
Hey guys,
I really want to buy a tablet and I will be using it for osu! ONLY.

I can't decide between the following 2 tablets:
Wacom Intuos Pen
or
Wacom Bamboo Pad light
(the website gives terrible information about specs btw)

I have no idea which one would be better for playing osu! but...
The Bamboo Pad light tablet seems to have a 4:3 ratio or something.
The Intuos Pen tablet seems to have 16:9 ratio which is the same as my monitor, therefor I think this one would be better.

What do you guys think?
VIDgamefrk9
I have the Wacom Intuos Pen and I have to say it is very good. the nice thing is that you can adjust the settings to match your preferences, or in this case, tweak them until you get the optimal setup. I just got mine yesterday and I can say that the small works very well, just remember to change how the buttons act on the pen or you might open up the radial menu like I did while playing
Emerald773
I use the Inutos small pen and multi touch and it works very well with osu!
Cinagro
The osu! Tablet is based on the newer Huion 420 Portable Tablet (Yes, you read correctly).

http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Portable-St ... 00DTPYWBG/

Peppy tweeted that the only modifications done from the bare board are button removal/led change, so the specifications are the same.

I'd imagine that tablet and this one have the same specs:
http://www.amazon.com/DigiPro-Graphics- ... B00E8LB1UA

I'd assume these tablets wouldn't be too bad for osu, as peppy has had the base tested for the osu! tablet.
Espionage724
Wacom Bamboo (CTH-460) vs osu!tablet/Huion H420?

The price of the CTH-460 seems to be around double that of the H420, yet the H420 has better on-paper specs (4000 vs 2048 LPI, 200 vs 133 RPS). Only big differences (for osu!) seem to be the area (H420 is maybe half the full area of the CTH-460), and the pen (H420 uses a battery).
Syclasm

Espionage724 wrote:

Wacom Bamboo (CTH-460) vs osu!tablet/Huion H420?

The price of the CTH-460 seems to be around double that of the H420, yet the H420 has better on-paper specs (4000 vs 2048 LPI, 200 vs 133 RPS). Only big differences (for osu!) seem to be the area (H420 is maybe half the full area of the CTH-460), and the pen (H420 uses a battery).
If you're planning to draw with the tablet as well as play osu! I would say the Wacom simply because the larger area benefits both activities. Although if you can't get past the price tag and can comfortably draw on the area (and play osu!), the H420 is a great tablet as well, just great value overall in my opinion.
BulletStrike
Hello,
I play osu! since 1 year now and decided to buy a tablet. I searched the internet a bit and found this now
Wacom Intous Pen Tablet S
Anyone has experience with that? It's a small size and only pen. I think it would work good for osu!. If not, could anyone recommend a good tablet which works perfect for osu! and doesn't cost that much?

Thanks, BulletStrike
Fetish

BulletStrike wrote:

Hello,
I play osu! since 1 year now and decided to buy a tablet. I searched the internet a bit and found this now
Anyone has experience with that? It's a small size and only pen. I think it would work good for osu!. If not, could anyone recommend a good tablet which works perfect for osu! and doesn't cost that much?

Thanks, BulletStrike
I'm using the Touch + Pen model right now and it's great for Osu.
Spec_old_1

BulletStrike wrote:

Hello,

Thanks, BulletStrike
I use the same one,but I notice a bit of cursor jitter. Not sure if it's my hand or the tablet though
Fetish

Spectreee wrote:

I use the same one,but I notice a bit of cursor jitter. Not sure if it's my hand or the tablet though
You could try going to the Wacom site and updating your drivers for your tablet. Maybe it's because you hover too high.
TakuMii

Spectreee wrote:

Do you have your in-game mouse speed set to 1.0x?
[ Dom ]
Does anyone know how long Huion usually takes to ship? I got the H420 yesterday and I am very excited :3 BTW,I live on the East Coast :D
Cinagro

drdom888 wrote:

Does anyone know how long Huion usually takes to ship? I got the H420 yesterday and I am very excited :3 BTW,I live on the East Coast :D
Where did you get it from? If it's Chinese shipping, it could take a week or two. I got it fulfilled by Amazon, so it was shipped from the US.
[ Dom ]

Cinagro wrote:

drdom888 wrote:

Where did you get it from? If it's Chinese shipping, it could take a week or two. I got it fulfilled by Amazon, so it was shipped from the US.
I ordered it straight from the Huion website. So thanks for the info :3 MINI EDIT:I hope Huion is fast so I don't regret ordering it straight from their website,didn't even check amazon :P
eltee
What is the general opinion on huion's H420 tablet, if anyone even has one?

The osutablet is based on it, and it's 30 dollars as well on amazon right now, and since I can get free 2 day shipping on it, there really is no reason for me to wait for availability on the osutablet.

The nearest wacom competitor in price has 70 dollars, which is more than twice the price. Is it worth it? Will I even notice the difference? I do not plan on doing any drawing.
Pixlsocks
Does anyone know when a new batch of tablets will be ready?
Xuphor
So I'm thinking about getting a tablet solely for osu (not a drawer) and I'm stuck between these two choices: Wacom Splash Pen Tablet (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E0 ... HU0KPCGV8S) or Wacom Intuos Pen Small Tablet (http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Smal ... com+tablet). I also have a $25 Amazon GC that was redeemed via my parents' cc rewards program being delivered to my house. Which one should I get?
ksg

Xuphor wrote:

Intuos or Splash
I would imagine both of those do their job well enough for osu! and if you aren't huge into digital art, you probably don't need more than the Splash.
darkman21
I wanted to get a bamboo, but then saw another drawing tablet for the same price but had a bigger drawing area, but I'm not sure what's the right setup in OSU! for the pointer speed, my mouse moves a bit slow in OSU! while it moves at a good speed in PS
Karuta-_old_1

ks- wrote:

Xuphor wrote:

Intuos or Splash
I would imagine both of those do their job well enough for osu! and if you aren't huge into digital art, you probably don't need more than the Splash.
The optimal pointer speed is probably x1.00 for tablets unless you want to scale it down to x0.5 depending on your preference
Which drawing tablet are you looking at? You don't need too large an area, most people usually don't use the entire area. Most player will tell you what they are using and the active area in their setting in their profiles.

The important thing is that the tablet is able to detect the pen and that you are comfortable with the grip and weight of the pen itself
I myself bought CTL-470 as I don't have much choice here since tablets are not widely available here (Not that I am complaining, rttyui is using this too)
You will eventually find out that most players probably uses the same tablets around, price may vary from 25 USD to 100 USD and above depending on who they are and what they use it for.

In osu, bigger area means more control and better precision which is good for stream but bad for jumps because you have to move more.

Edit: My bad, Niko's configuration was 2/3 of the tablet area. This is what most players set it to. mine is barely 1/9
Selective
Im planning on buying a tablet soon. Was wondering if I should get the one from osu! the https://astore.amazon.com/osugame-20/detail/B008E0RSYY , osu! official tablet or the Hiuon 420 although theyre the same with same prices,

Which is better in your opinion. Is it worth waiting for the next batch of osu! official tablet, or buy either Hiuon 420 Tablet or the Wacom CTL471 Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet.

Since it's only for osu I don't mind if its refurbished.

Also, whats the difference between the CTL 471 and the CTL 470?
Karuta-_old_1

Extalias wrote:

whats the difference between the CTL 471 and the CTL 470?
I also bought tablet just to play osu, sometimes I use it to write something in my pdf files.

I can't tell from the size or the picture, they are identical to each other but it seems that CTL 471 comes with better software
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407436,00.asp

I can't judge which is better when it comes to osu, since tablet quality doesn't really affect much in osu. At most you will only be looking at how compatible it is with your computer and the active size.

CTL 471 has a mouse mode and gives you a bigger active size, 14.7mm x 9.2mm while H420 gives you 10.2cm x 5.8cm
but the downside to CTL 471 is actually that wasted space aside from the active area.
I have also heard that the pen for H420 is kind of heavy.

you can look at the feedbacks here for the osu! tablet or H420
p/2768198
Selective
Alright then whats the difference between CTH470 and CTL 470?
Blueprint
I can get a CTL 460 for dirt cheap possibly but does not include software and instructions I could download them online right? or my Computer will install them automatically the drivers
Karuta-_old_1

Blueprint wrote:

I can get a CTL 460 for dirt cheap possibly but does not include software and instructions I could download them online right? or my Computer will install them automatically the drivers
They can be downloaded online, You probably want to install the drivers cause they help a lot.
VIDgamefrk9
I use a CTL 480, which is the intuos small tablet and it works really well. The pen feels like a pen should and it's just sensitive enough for Osu. The only downside is that I had to pay $70 USD for it, but I think it was well worth it considering that some tablets cost way more than that.
Valdyr
http://www.gigatronshop.com/graficke_table/wacom_intuos_pen_-_ctl-480s-enes-26051

I'm planning on buying this tablet. Ignore the price and random description in Serbian, do you think it's an okay tablet for osu or have you seen someone use it before?
show more