forum

Tablet Purchase Guide for osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
AlexSant
I'm using mouse and keyboard, I think it's a good way to play.
Can I use wacom tablets with keyboard ?
[CrystalHeart]
B00l3t
Types of Tablets

Wacom is the "brand name" of tablets - tablets are all they make, and they're widely accepted (by artists) as producing the best quality, most reliable tablets. I recommend buying from Wacom because of their reputation as producing high-quality products as a leader in the tablet world. They produce three main lines:

Cintiq - "Draw directly on the screen" tablets, these are used in very high-end professional applications, and cost a pretty penny.
Intuos - The Professional line of tablets, these have features above and beyond the Bamboo line, but lack a screen.
Bamboo - The general consumer line of tablets, these come cheap with all the features you need to get started as a hobbyist.

There are other lines, such as the Graphire or Volito tablets, but these names have been discontinued, replaced by the above lines.

For osu!, you are very unlikely to need a Cintiq or Intuos - these two lines cater to professional in graphic design and illustration, and cost much more than the tablets in the Bamboo line. They feature increased pressure sensitivity, more bundled graphics software, and advanced features such as barrel rotation or tilt sensitivity. These mean nothing in osu!, so only buy one of these if you're planning on using your tablet for serious graphic design work outside of osu!.

At the time of writing there are three versions of the Bamboo, all confusingly under the same "Bamboo" moniker (The Intuos lines are distinguished by number - Intuos5 is the latest at the time of writing). I would recommend either buying the second or third generation Bamboos - the first generation Bamboo tablets had the extra buttons on the top of the tablet rather than the side, which makes them awkward for use in osu!.
This is a helpful guide, thanks! I Recently bought a Wacom Bamboo Connect CTL470 I've been using it to play since I joined and I really love it.
Frediiiih
Very helpful.

I wanna get one and support osu! at the same time, but I am not familiar with Amazon at all. Is there any ways the item could be shipped to Quebec, Canada? From the page it seems they only ship to the U.S.
Kyaputen Murasa

Frediiiih wrote:

Very helpful.

I wanna get one and support osu! at the same time, but I am not familiar with Amazon at all. Is there any ways the item could be shipped to Quebec, Canada? From the page it seems they only ship to the U.S.

http://www.amazon.ca/
TakuMii

SueMelody wrote:

I'm starting to get it now.
Since I just got my tablet I'm thinking whether or not to use it, but mouse/keyboard is a bit ok as well even though I saw a video (Just saying) that shows that tablets get more points and go more faster. Not sure if thats true but I guess I'll just remain a mouse/keyboard player c:
That's not true at all. The game gives absolutely no bonus for using a tablet, nor does it even have a way of detecting what pointing device you're using.
Lobotomizer
This might have been asked again gain, but I was wondering if these tablets can be shipped outside USA (I live in Greece).Btw thats my first post so... Hi forum!! :P (offtopic ftw).
Kyaputen Murasa

YayMii wrote:

SueMelody wrote:

I'm starting to get it now.
Since I just got my tablet I'm thinking whether or not to use it, but mouse/keyboard is a bit ok as well even though I saw a video (Just saying) that shows that tablets get more points and go more faster. Not sure if thats true but I guess I'll just remain a mouse/keyboard player c:
That's not true at all. The game gives absolutely no bonus for using a tablet, nor does it even have a way of detecting what pointing device you're using.
Maybe they meant better accuracy equals better scores?
Suhem
Hey! Thanks a lot for the post, I wanted to buy a tablet for osu! for a while but didn't have a clue where to start, this makes things a lot easier. :)

I do have a question though, as I'm fairly confused. You mentioned in your guide that "Pen", "Fun" and "Craft" are 2nd Gen tablets while "Connect", "Capture" and "Create" are 3rd Gen. And from what I understand from the posts here, 3rd Gen has better specifications than 2nd Gen. Now, I was doing some research through means other than this post, and Wacom's Wikipedia page doesn't mention anything about Generations. From what I understand, it says over there that "Create", "Capture", "Splash" and "Connect" are just the names the tablets are sold under in the Americas and "Fun", "Pen & Touch", "Pen" and "Manga" are the names they're sold under in the European region.
(Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom#Product_lines )

So I was wondering if only 2nd Gen models are released in Europe with 3rd Gen only being available in the Americas, or is Wikipedia's info about the models having nothing more than different names just wrong?
Please

Suhem wrote:

Hey! Thanks a lot for the post, I wanted to buy a tablet for osu! for a while but didn't have a clue where to start, this makes things a lot easier. :)

I do have a question though, as I'm fairly confused. You mentioned in your guide that "Pen", "Fun" and "Craft" are 2nd Gen tablets while "Connect", "Capture" and "Create" are 3rd Gen. And from what I understand from the posts here, 3rd Gen has better specifications than 2nd Gen. Now, I was doing some research through means other than this post, and Wacom's Wikipedia page doesn't mention anything about Generations. From what I understand, it says over there that "Create", "Capture", "Splash" and "Connect" are just the names the tablets are sold under in the Americas and "Fun", "Pen & Touch", "Pen" and "Manga" are the names they're sold under in the European region.
(Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom#Product_lines )

So I was wondering if only 2nd Gen models are released in Europe with 3rd Gen only being available in the Americas, or is Wikipedia's info about the models having nothing more than different names just wrong?
Pen = Connect
Touch = Capture
Pen & Touch = Create

they do sell both generation models at both regions, they just call it by different names. well, let's just say that Wikipedia doesn't have enough information about Wacom.
Neiji Razuiya
another tablet can use? .__.

i use kanvus tablet. hard to use x.x
HanabichiChan
Wow... I really want in but I have to make my mind first...
:x 8-) :cry:
tuurts
heh, i got the wacom bamboo pen and i love it :D miss my mouse tho :(
Sabishii Otaku
Really nice Guide :) Thank you!
chokbar de bz
I'm thinking of buying this tablet http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pe ... p_t_1_5F9N ,is that a scam or is it a good price ? I don't know very much from tablets so yeah.

Thank u

PS: Could you link me to the cheapest tablets ?
LTTP

filsdelama wrote:

I'm thinking of buying this tablet http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pe ... p_t_1_5F9N ,is that a scam or is it a good price ? I don't know very much from tablets so yeah.

Thank u

PS: Could you link me to the cheapest tablets ?
Nha its just cheap.
Great for uso tho!
Amanda
i got a Wacom Bamboo ctl-470 for like 40$. i think it works great and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a bit "cheaper" tablet ^^
theowest
New lineup of Intuos and Intuos Pro pen tablets!
http://www.wacom.com/gb/en/creative

Here's the cheesy ad:

and here's the product most of us will be getting. The one without touch features.
TakuMii
Yeah, I think the OP needs a bit of an update, seeing as the new Intuos is replacing the Bamboo lineup (while the Intuos Pro replaces the old Intuos lineup).
Akani
i use bamboo cth-470k but i feel like a slight delay on the cursor is it the tablet or my computer ?
and is the cth-470s creativ better than mine?
- L A U R A -
Exactly my opinion, good guide
Dantoria
I'm planning on buying a tablet soon. I'm wondering if I should get an Intuos4 CTL-480 or Capture CTH-470.
If anyone could help me decide, thank you.
Edit: Nevermind. I've already decided to get the Intuos4.
[ Yuugiri ]
Question: Does osu support all tablet? I'm thinking about getting a Wacom intuos-- the newer gen. I'm not sure if it will work or not.
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Smal ... ords=wacom
Abalysa
Hey Guys,
Im relativly new to the Game and can play most songs on Hard.
Im playing with a Mouse and would like to know if a Tablet would be worth it to get into the faster songs.

Im not sure if the Money would be worth it tough, since i dont know if and how much i would improve with it.

Here is the Tablet i was looking at... its pretty cheap... would it do the trick for OSU?
http://www.amazon.de/Wacom-Bamboo-Touch ... mboo+small

Best regards,
Abalysa
NoYzE

XenXus wrote:

Question: Does osu support all tablet? I'm thinking about getting a Wacom intuos-- the newer gen. I'm not sure if it will work or not.
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Smal ... ords=wacom
I'm sure it will.
I have a SilverCrest (very cheap) Tablet from a discounter and it worked (just fine).
However it had no "scaling" and i would have to go all over the big workspace all the time to reach the points, also it sometimes just stops working until i touch the tablet with the pen.
So i just bought a Intuos Pen Small now to get rid of the problems and have fun with high quality.
There was a comment on Amazon for it (in german) stating that it works great with osu.
A friend bought it also, so if you want i can tell you how it works in a few days.
But i'm sure it will work perfectly :)
- Umeru -
Can I ask something? If I buy the one that is pen and touch (Wacom Bamboo ) is it will affect the cursor like for example : warping cursor problem when the fingers touch because i see some of my friends use them and sometimes they hit the tablet and the mouse is getting move to the way that they don't like.
But I am planning to buy for drawing and playing osu! so i can't decide what should I buy.
Can anyone pls answer me what should I buy.

Thanks
Juice
Awesome! Thanks.
TakuMii

filllykung wrote:

Can I ask something? If I buy the one that is pen and touch (Wacom Bamboo ) is it will affect the cursor like for example : warping cursor problem when the fingers touch because i see some of my friends use them and sometimes they hit the tablet and the mouse is getting move to the way that they don't like.
But I am planning to buy for drawing and playing osu! so i can't decide what should I buy.
Can anyone pls answer me what should I buy.

Thanks
I have a Bamboo Pen and Touch. You can disable the touch feature.
- Umeru -

YayMii wrote:

I have a Bamboo Pen and Touch. You can disable the touch feature.
Thanks YayMii :D you help me alot.
Chibi211
If anyone could tell me what the better tablet is, it would be much appreciated. I am having a very difficult time deciding between the Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet and Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch Tablet.
Thanks.
Suhem

Chibi211 wrote:

If anyone could tell me what the better tablet is, it would be much appreciated. I am having a very difficult time deciding between the Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet and Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch Tablet.
Thanks.
The Capture comes with the Autodesk SketchBook Express, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Nik Color Filters softwares bundled with it. It also has 4 programmable buttons on the tablet itself that you can customize, and has a multi-touch function (you can use fingers - pinch to zoom, scroll, etc).

The Splash is about 20$ cheaper, comes with the Autodesk SketchBook Express and ArtRage 3 Studio bundled.

Both tablets are otherwise completely similar, the active area, pressure sensitivity and accuracy are all exactly the same as well.
So, basically the 20$ difference would be the 4 programmable buttons and the multi-touch function and the Photoshop Elements. There's also some minor aesthetic and color differences as well.
Now, to answer your question, if you're planning to use the tablet solely for osu!, the additional buttons and touch functions are just a hindrance and going for the Capture would be pointless. If you're actually seriously considering to use it for other purposes as well, the additional buttons help a little with laziness as you can assign functions to them in Photoshop or other programs instead of manually clicking and selecting tools, but are still otherwise pretty much entirely pointless. The touch function doesn't have a whole lot of uses as well. So, in my opinion I think the Splash is better all around since Capture doesn't really offer anything additional that's a whole lot worthwhile.
Shozonu
Monoprice 10x6.25in Tablet user checking in.
The tablet and pen works fine for everything I need, but the alternate Monoprice pen (which is around $10) has a larger detection range (I can lift the pen farther away from the tablet and it will still track movement; >1cm as opposed to the default's ~0.7cm). However, the default pen's tip is easier to activate; I can rest it at a generous angle on the tablet and it will detect that minute pressure. The alternate pen is more rigid and needs to stand more vertically and needs more force to detect pressure.

The large surface of the tablet fatigues my arm more than a smaller one would while I play osu!, but I personally like the almost 1:1 ratio of pen to cursor movement.

The tablet costed me around $70 in total, $60+$5 shipping + tax. The alternate pen costs $10 dollars itself.
Tupples
Is the new Intuos Pen fine for osu! ? Should I go for the Touch and Pen if I'm going to do a bit of Digital art (not a lot) ?
TakuMii

Tupplez wrote:

Is the new Intuos Pen fine for osu! ? Should I go for the Touch and Pen if I'm going to do a bit of Digital art (not a lot) ?
Yeah, it should be fine for osu!. For art, you should probably get the Intuos Pen and Touch since it has an eraser on its pen.
But at this point, the Intuos tablets are the ones you should consider the most (unless you can get your hands on an older Wacom tablet for a lower price, but usually those don't have pens with erasers).
Lilarcors
I was reading through this thread, and I was wondering since its mainly the more expensive stuff, if other brands are worth considering. I was looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... d_i=468294
And its quite cheap, and seems to fit my screen decently. Just wanted to know someone with a little more knowledge on this subject's opinion
NoYzE
Everyone who is wondering if the Intuos Pen Small (the new bamboo) is good for Osu!: Yes it is.
I'm using it since a couple of weeks now and i'm really happy with it (just like a friend of mine).
The accuracy is outstanding and the settings are highly configurable to fit your needs (like the tablet area you want to use).
If you have a look in the thread "area of your bamboo tablet" you'll see some others using it too ;)
So you don't have to fear that it could not be as good as a bamboo.
Greetings,
NoYzE
Mollerz

NoYzE wrote:

Everyone who is wondering if the Intuos Pen Small (the new bamboo) is good for Osu!: Yes it is.
I'm using it since a couple of weeks now and i'm really happy with it (just like a friend of mine).
The accuracy is outstanding and the settings are highly configurable to fit your needs (like the tablet area you want to use).
If you have a look in the thread "area of your bamboo tablet" you'll see some others using it too ;)
So you don't have to fear that it could not be as good as a bamboo.
Greetings,
NoYzE
Thanks for this, I was taking a look at this and now I'm definitely going to get it after this!
Swe_Wrestler
Thinking about buying this one " http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HG ... d_i=507846 ", are there any better variants available?
Genshin
Maybe this has been already asked but... does anyone know if/when the osu!tablet (this) will be available on the store? (if yes, what will be the price?)
Kyollo
Does this one seem legit? I live in Norway so selection of touch pads isnt too big :P would appreciate it if someone replies ^^

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-manga

PS: open for recommendation ;)
show more