forum

Tablet Purchase Guide for osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
kingking9

Unkind wrote:

why dont you juse hover? then the pen lives on
I'm beginning to do that, but it feels really weird. I almost rely on the feedback from the pen touching the tablet to make sure the note hits...
peppercatastrop
But no one selling any other tablet than Genius in here D:
Or maybe I have to purchase one from Jakarta

... oh wait I already had a tablet
Tsukimi Luna
I think I'm gonna get a Wacom bamboo connect >.<
emergist
I've just bought a Wacom CTF-420, it's awesome.
VaiL_old

AeroRange wrote:

But no one selling any other tablet than Genius in here D:
Or maybe I have to purchase one from Jakarta

... oh wait I already had a tablet
why dont you look for it in singapore? i've seen a lot of tablets over there.. and indonesia is right beside singapore
AliceSuyeong

kingking9 wrote:

Unkind wrote:

why dont you juse hover? then the pen lives on
I'm beginning to do that, but it feels really weird. I almost rely on the feedback from the pen touching the tablet to make sure the note hits...
Is it intentional that the pen moves really slowly? Compared to the mouse of course. It feels to be even slower when I do not hover and use it with a physical contact instead.
Valentiino

AliceSuyeong wrote:

Is it intentional that the pen moves really slowly? Compared to the mouse of course. It feels to be even slower when I do not hover and use it with a physical contact instead.
The only way the cursor can feel "slow" is coz of input lag, caused by something (aero + windowed mode on osu! does that)
Kennjin
Can I also become one of the top players without a tablet or is that impossible with mouse and keyboard ?
YodaSnipe
omg wacom totemo lied to me. They was like NO! you can't use older gen pens on newer gen tablets. So I raged at osu! playing some map and broke my new gen tablet pen, only to find an older gen tablet pen and IT POOTIN' WORKED. Damn wacom you LIED TO ME T_T

/me cries in a corner.
Nekoroll
rofl Yoda.

Great tablet purchasing guide. I use an intuos3 and my tablet has been working just as new for the past 5 or so years that I've used it for art and osu! (2 years+). I hover except for when I spin and the only noticeable wear is just the tiny area in the middle where I spin. My pen is great. :D Keyboard has not broken either.

I agree with everything Daru recommended. SS would read again.

Kennjin wrote:

Can I also become one of the top players without a tablet or is that impossible with mouse and keyboard ?
There are many top players who use mouse. Don't be discouraged. :)
jianzii
I think I might switch from my Intuos4 to a Bamboo Pen. I'm finding that I don't really do any art anymore, so my tablet is basically just an Osu! input device.
atrain
I just wanted to say that Thanks to this article I have decided to buy the Bamboo connect instead of going with some cheaper art tablet.

I get it in tomorrow and I can not wait to start learning tablet. I hope it only takes me a few hours to get used to Like how it did when i was learning arcade stick for the first time.
darkmiz
So many people buy tablets to play osu.
I think tablet companies should pay peppy for increasing their sales :)
peppy
You can support osu! while buying a tablet by using my amazon links :).

These are my two recommendations from a price, size and quality perspective:

Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet ($66.99)
Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch Tablet ($89.99)

If you have any other amazon fulfilled tablets you want to buy, I can create links for those too.
nanashiRei
Just thinking, can you add links that work with the European version of Amazon, too? Those won't work for me, guess it's because of the company split EU/US/Asia
peppy
Not too sure if that works with referral links.
PhiLL A
Do gen 3 pens work on gen 2 tablets?
enik

MxG PhiLL wrote:

Do gen 3 pens work on gen 2 tablets?
SPOILER
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101104194514AA2IZm8
Seems like no.
P.S. Happy 5 Birthday Osu!
PhiLL A
Oh, that sucks. I thought you could, because i saw some live plays by Rucker and apparently he uses gen 2 tablet with gen 3 pen. Go figure.
enik
I'm not sure about it, just googled. Try to contact Wacom tech support or PM Rucker.
Kluddio
Bamboo + intous are the best tablets all of them works, all you need is training with them so .

(using a Wacom intous 4 with a small area 1/4 of the size)
ann_old
I hate how they sell different tablets in Asia, the USA and the EU.
But reading through this thread helped me a lot, got myself a Wacom Intuos 5 and wow, it's really good and actually responds without any (noticeable)delay.
Thanks for this thread!
Kluddio

xann wrote:

I hate how they sell different tablets in Asia, the USA and the EU.
But reading through this thread helped me a lot, got myself a Wacom Intuos 5 and wow, it's really good and actually responds without any (noticeable)delay.
Thanks for this thread!
If you activate a circle when you press down you can fix that, i googled a bit and found out that you have to disable a think in W7 and the ring got removed. it basicly it right klicks everytime you press it down.
ann_old
nah, I already fixed all that, thanks for the thought though :)
with the delay I meant that it reacts perfectly, I read that tablets have a standard delay, but I don't notice it. p:
Pixa_old
Hello,
Lucky me I already had a tablet (the Trust Slimline Sketch tablet) when I discovered Osu!. However, it is a very cheap tablet and I wonder if I should keep it, for some reasons:

Even if the tablet is large enough with a good accuracy, the pen contains 2 AAA batteries which makes it big and heavy, and it sometimes opens itself.
The pen is made in a plastic material that gets slippy in my hand after 1min of non-intensive use, is it my fault ? :(
The hoovering gets regularly buggy (immobile pointer) and I need to click on the tablet to make it work (even with new batteries). This made me ragequit many maps.
I feel a lack of reactivity, but I may be wrong on this point.

I just can't seem to find any decent review of this tablet so does anyone knows something about it ?
Since I may use the tablet for other graphic applications, I'm considering buying real Wacom stuff, there are plenty of people who sell their tablets (that they almost never used) cheaper than the official price.
ann_old
It's probably too old to have a decent review of it.
I would buy a new tablet, playing with a broken/old one is hell.
If you're going to buy another tablet then keep in mind that buying a used one is risky, it could be old and have a massive delay. I had a 7 year old tablet that I never used before, after all that time I started using it but it had a delay of like 1/10th of a second. You could buy a tablet for half the price of a new one, but paying that extra ensures warranty and quality in my opinion.
Whatever you choose to do, stay with Wacom. ;)
Pixa_old
Thanks for your answer. I was rather thinking of buying a used Bamboo Fun/Pen/Pen&touch. Some people buy one for no solid reason, use it for 2h and then try to get rid of it, most of the time 20-30% cheaper. I'd just like to keep the same area I have now, without paying too much. But I'll go for a Wacom obviously ^^
ann_old
I am aware of people who do that. If you buy a tablet that has been used be sure to check how old it is, hardware also has an expiry date. (Just don't go buying 7 year old tablets)
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Pixa_old

BRBP wrote:

You don't happen to know if it's possible to adjust the tablet area, do you? (I couldn't get it working).
I didn't have any trouble changing the area, if the "Trust Tablet Control Panel" doesn't install automatically you can download it on their website.
It looks like this with me

I guess Wacom totally owns this market 8-)
ann_old
Wacom also doesn't automatically install, but it comes with a driver software CD.
A vitally important feature Wacom products have is "Force proportions" which forces your area to have the same proportions as your screen resolution.
Pixa_old
There is nothing to say about the software for this tablet. The "force proportions" option exists ("rapport d'écran" in french, for "screen ratio"), and many customizable parameters too. The only matter is the quality of the tablet itself
Pixa_old
Sorry, I have another question now ^^
I can find a bamboo Pen&Touch for 50€ approximatively, and a bamboo Connect (pen only) for 60€.
Is it really worth buying the newest wacom generation ? It is more expensive and it doesn't feature the touch usage, so is it balanced by an improvement in the quality, the stylus, durability, etc ? (I keep in mind that I may use it for occasional drawings)
Elysion
The new gen is as precise as an intuos4, go for it.
Pixa_old

Elysion wrote:

The new gen is as precise as an intuos4, go for it.
I read that it was only more precise for the pressure levels of the stylus (1024, like the intuos4), and not for spacial precision. I do care about pressure levels but intuos4 is for professionals, I don't really need that :/
Elysion
I'm talking about spacial precision too. For 10 more €, it's worth it.
Pixa_old
They have the same resolution and the same active area, how could it be more precise ?
Elysion
I have no idea, it just is. Try it out somewhere if you don't believe me, you'll see.
Aubrey888
will work on samsung galaxy tab? :\
RBRat3
FYI lpi has 0 influence on osu! unless your active area is something thats 0.5sq inch which the driver wont let you do nor I don't think anyone here has that kind of motor control. Its high density count is purely for graphic applications that utilize absolute position data (Not cursor position) for example like drawing a very small circle on a 12,000px x 9000px canvas thats fitting inside a 1920x1080 screen the circle would look like a pixel when drawn on the monitor but if you zoom in it will be a small circle in retrospect its just to pick up the finer things.

ann wrote:

I am aware of people who do that. If you buy a tablet that has been used be sure to check how old it is, hardware also has an expiry date. (Just don't go buying 7 year old tablets)
I proudly use a 12 year old tablet just fine thank you very much :P
show more