forum

Lowest possible texture/file size skin that is readable

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deviruchi787
Anyone can give me the lowest possible file size on a skin but is still readable prefer 5mb below (extremely prefer 1mb below)

My pc is 15 years old and some of the low file size skin I downloaded was unreadable for me (too identical to default skin)
Shohei Ohtani
new computer
Topic Starter
deviruchi787

CDFA wrote:

new computer
Wow! tnx for this my osu is very fast now :)
abraker
osu! works with 15 year old pcs? The fps on the thing must horrifying
Topic Starter
deviruchi787

abraker wrote:

osu! works with 15 year old pcs? The fps on the thing must horrifying

60fps at 800x600 w/fullscreen and letterboxing, disabled effects n bgs
input delay is 15-20 tho. still playable
abraker

deviruchi787 wrote:

input delay is 15-20 tho.
Considering that a player has about a 30ms window for a 300g hit in mania, 15-20ms latency is huge. I think it's even tighter in taiko. For std, the ability to do high AR is probably affected by it. Idk about CtB

But if it works, I guess there is nothing to complain about. You would notice that effects of latency if you ever get to harder maps.
dung eater
You could make yourself. Using default-x instead of hitcircle/overlay should give some fps (instant disappear instead of zoom fade). Pixelated, sharp border objects make low fps/tearing easier to not notice.

It might be thatsmall skins you used didn't replace many of the default skin objects and that's why they are so similiar/small.
Galkan
Moved the thread to Gameplay & Rankings.
Topic Starter
deviruchi787

abraker wrote:

deviruchi787 wrote:

input delay is 15-20 tho.
Considering that a player has about a 30ms window for a 300g hit in mania, 15-20ms latency is huge. I think it's even tighter in taiko. For std, the ability to do high AR is probably affected by it. Idk about CtB

But if it works, I guess there is nothing to complain about. You would notice that effects of latency if you ever get to harder maps.

I could play 4 up to 5 stars maps but higher than 5.5 is almost impossible. Could be my skill cap or my pc, I wouldn't know lol. I just use relax on 8/9 star maps and feel good about myself

There was this top player back then named silvia who climbed to the top. If you look at his liveplays you'd see how old his pc was. I'll probably get there someday kek
Endaris
Upload your current skin and we can tell you where you can try and get improvements.
Topic Starter
deviruchi787
I'm using this
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EN8ih-_cBFDbhg7dImidhBmT8dAU2kNl

I'm hoping someone can edit it in photoshop to make it like 144p texture in youtube while still retaining perfect circle
Amelia24
Not gunna lie here, seriously for your best interest, get a new pc. 15ms is not playable for most people and is going to effect your gameplay tremendously.
Topic Starter
deviruchi787

Mr Kiwitastic24 wrote:

Not gunna lie here, seriously for your best interest, get a new pc. 15ms is not playable for most people and is going to effect your gameplay tremendously.

I'm living in a 3rd world paradise and affected by poverty so there's that. Adjusting the global offset fixes the timing with my input delay. Aside from the fps drops and screen freeze, you will get used to it.

I just realized my google drive is not public
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5nj2z7mwd0e9bt/Aesthetic%20EDITED%20-%20lol.rar?dl=0
vinnicci
Endaris
I removed unnecessary HD elements from your skin as these have a massive impact on performance.
For other improvements, I'd recommend you to change 100s/50s to the dot-variant as found in WWW skins. The scorebar-ki elements aren't particularly needed as well but I doubt they make a big impact.
https://endaris.s-ul.eu/ewdTwtxA.osk
You also have to consider that a lot of elements aren't active during gameplay so skinsize of 5MB or 10MB doesn't say anything about the performance on a map.

Other considerations:
Do I really need a sliderfollowcircle?
Do I really need a cursortrail?

If you don't do it already:
Play with interface off. (Shift+Tab)

Make sure to have the following settings in your options:
Reduce dropped frames: Off
Fullscreen mode: On
Letterboxing: On (unless your osu! resolution is already full screen)
Snaking sliders: Off
Background Video: Off
Storyboards: Off
Combo bursts: Off (this actually confuses me in your skin because you have skinned them, lol)
Hit lighting: Off (only turn it on for maps where you really need it)
Shaders: Off
Softening filter: Off
Background dim: 100%

If your machine is really that old, you may also want to try and check Compatibility mode and see if that helps with anything (uses DirectX instead of OpenGL for rendering, which might have better hardware support if it's that aged). Naturally try to have as little background processes running as possible, use Snappy Driver Installer to assure you have the best drivers accessible (can make a world's different on bad audio drivers specifically).

After you did all of that, observe your FPS counter while playing. Generally speaking, a lot of graphics card want to prove how awesome they are and try too hard if you put the frame rate on unlimited, resulting in a lot of dropped frames. Check if it runs stable with 240fps first, if not press "Open osu! folder" in the options, open osu!.YourWindowsUsername.cfg and edit the value on the line "CustomFrameLimit" to something your machine can handle. Restart osu! for this to take effect.
Topic Starter
deviruchi787

Endaris wrote:

I removed unnecessary HD elements from your skin as these have a massive impact on performance.
For other improvements, I'd recommend you to change 100s/50s to the dot-variant as found in WWW skins. The scorebar-ki elements aren't particularly needed as well but I doubt they make a big impact.
https://endaris.s-ul.eu/ewdTwtxA.osk
You also have to consider that a lot of elements aren't active during gameplay so skinsize of 5MB or 10MB doesn't say anything about the performance on a map.

Other considerations:
Do I really need a sliderfollowcircle?
Do I really need a cursortrail?

If you don't do it already:
Play with interface off. (Shift+Tab)

Make sure to have the following settings in your options:
Reduce dropped frames: Off
Fullscreen mode: On
Letterboxing: On (unless your osu! resolution is already full screen)
Snaking sliders: Off
Background Video: Off
Storyboards: Off
Combo bursts: Off (this actually confuses me in your skin because you have skinned them, lol)
Hit lighting: Off (only turn it on for maps where you really need it)
Shaders: Off
Softening filter: Off
Background dim: 100%

If your machine is really that old, you may also want to try and check Compatibility mode and see if that helps with anything (uses DirectX instead of OpenGL for rendering, which might have better hardware support if it's that aged). Naturally try to have as little background processes running as possible, use Snappy Driver Installer to assure you have the best drivers accessible (can make a world's different on bad audio drivers specifically).

After you did all of that, observe your FPS counter while playing. Generally speaking, a lot of graphics card want to prove how awesome they are and try too hard if you put the frame rate on unlimited, resulting in a lot of dropped frames. Check if it runs stable with 240fps first, if not press "Open osu! folder" in the options, open osu!.YourWindowsUsername.cfg and edit the value on the line "CustomFrameLimit" to something your machine can handle. Restart osu! for this to take effect.

Woah damn this is good! Thanks for the effort. Also im gonna prolly use opengl since I use intel mobile chipset as GPU (onboard GPU). Thanks for mentioning that. Hopefully I'll get the game more smoother. I also play without apps and explorer.exe so it's all good.

I also already play without interface (shift+tab) and helps alot with the performance

Didn't know about customframelimit on the cfg. Probably why its causing the freeze/stutter. So I had it set to 60. That might help alot :)