forum

[Rule Change Proposal] Hybrid mapsets including osu!catch

posted
Total Posts
show more
JBHyperion
Basically what ZiRoX said, the ideas's been floated around for a while now but it's nice to have it on "paper" so to speak.

Yes, catch converts are typically of better quality than taiko or mania ones, but with more experienced and improving mappers nowadays, they don't match up anywhere close to specifics. We're at a point now where we have enough active catch mappers to support additional diffs.

Whilst people did initially complain about the old "Overdose only" rule being changed, it did allow a great deal more mappers (myself included) to get into the GD-ing game and overall has greatly increased the accessibility and breadth of content in the mode. More of the same can't be a bad thing.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

JBHyperion wrote:

Whilst people did initially complain about the old "Overdose only" rule being changed, it did allow a great deal more mappers (myself included) to get into the GD-ing game and overall has greatly increased the accessibility and breadth of content in the mode. More of the same can't be a bad thing.
This is a really big point. Hopefully this change will allow some newer mappers or maybe ones proficient in lower difficulties to have a bigger impact on osu!catch!
celerih
We've seen a few ppl already add this in their personal criteria for checking hybrids, so I couldn't agree more with this proposal, yes please
Sorceress

Benny- wrote:

ZiRoX wrote:

I fully agree with this.
Hareimu
couldn't agree more
Sotarks

Sanyi wrote:

Ascendance wrote:

As of recently, there have been a lot of one-difficulty Rain hybrid mapsets in qualified, and their appearance seems to only be gaining traction.
Isn't true from what I can tell since Sotarks stopped pushing standard sets with a rain diff added to it xD (please don't quote me on that it's a joke okay thanks)

I think that the rule change is a good idea
What lol
JierYagtama
Platter in hybrid sets deserve some love
_handholding

JeirYagtama wrote:

_Meep_

Kisses wrote:

JeirYagtama wrote:

Jemzuu
i hate platters rrrrrr
Yumeno Himiko
Pretty valid cuz nowadays catch mapping has it's own style and this rule is pretty old.
Xinnoh
Devil's advocate here, but no one can map platters. Everyone and their mum can map a rain, so I don't know if this will really be beneficial in the long run if all hybrids are required to have a platter if there are fewer made.

Why not change the rule so that it's required to have two diffs, but the lowest diff should be rain or easier.
Benita
If someone can map a rankable Rain, it shouldn’t take them too long or too much effort to learn how to map a rankable Platter.
Shohei Ohtani

Sinnoh wrote:

Devil's advocate here, but no one can map platters. Everyone and their mum can map a rain, so I don't know if this will really be beneficial in the long run if all hybrids are required to have a platter if there are fewer made.

Why not change the rule so that it's required to have two diffs, but the lowest diff should be rain or easier.
Uh maybe people can also learn how to map platters that aren't shitty did you think about that.

"yeah everyone sucks at making normals we should stop requiring those" like lmfao
Kimitakari

JeirYagtama wrote:

JBHyperion

Sinnoh wrote:

no one can map platters.

what are you smoking kid lol
Dea ex machina
epic
MBomb
revival of mbomb's platter
Pachiru
I don't map CTB, but I think it can be good, cause it's frustrating to see good maps with only Rain, when you can't play over Platter. Also it will create more content for this mode so I really agree with this :)
JBHyperion
Ok so let's set an official deadline for final suggestions and reviews here:

The following rule change from the General Ranking Criteria is proposed:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties...
  1. One or more osu!catch difficulties may be included. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than an Insane.

to:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties...
  1. Any two or more osu!taiko, osu!mania, or osu!catch difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Hard.

Discussion for this proposed rule change will be open for two weeks from today, ending at 23:59 UTC+0, Thursday the 5th of April. If there are no open discussions that warrant revision by this point, the proposal will be amended into the Ranking Criteria with immediate effect. Therefore, if you have questions, concerns, or ideas for further improvement, please continue to discuss them here over the next two weeks.
Deif
I'm happy to see Ascendance's idea has been accepted by most people in here. Back then when the older rule got amended, mappers weren't mentally prepared for that though in the long term it helped making more balanced spreads.

Mapping evolves every day, and it's time to include Platters in hybrid sets to increase their diversity. Creating more content to cover a wider range of players would be indeed beneficial, and nowadays there are enough mappers to cover those necesities.

With that being said, I wholeheartedly agree with this proposal implementation.
Okoratu
pishifat
merged
JBHyperion
Please take note that the above spread rule for osu!catch has been amended into Ranking Criteria with immediate effect.

Any mapsets that were previously nominated before this change will still be considered rankable under the previous ruleset for the following 6 months, after which ALL beatmaps must conform to the new rule.