forum

[Archived] osu! game and song folders on separate HDDs?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kitty McWittles
My main drive is a SSD and my secondary is a 5400rpm. osu! lags fairly frequently on the 5400, and almost never on the SSD, but my maps take up almost half my drive space, so I'd like to move the songs but keep the main game files on my main drive.

I know in Minecraft it's possible to trick the launcher with a set %appdata%=%cd% command (it only installs to AppData\roaming\.minecraft, no official option to change it anywhere) but trying to set %cd%\Songs=D:\osu!\Songs doesn't seem to work. (Sorry if that's a stupid attempt, but it's the only one I could think of :| )

Anyone know of a way to do this, or is it just impossible right now?
MDuh
I would also want to kow how to this with a different reason, Songs folder is already 23GB and want to specifically place songs folder to an ext. HDD because whenever you play osu.exe in an Ext.HDD, lag happenes when you first encountered an event (e.g.: 50 combo mark where stars will fly out, first kiai time, Finishing spinner in taiko, etc)
MDuh
bump
peppy
If you are getting lag as you say due to disk IO, it is a bug. All textures should be preloaded.
ziin
peppy
You can use junctions, yes.
MDuh
It worked thanks ziin
main Osu.exe and its dependencies (.dll, skins, replays, etc.) now recides on Main Drive(C:\)
now, I'm currently testing if lag disappeared on those events,

Command used (for future reference)
http://puu.sh/emNK

----EDIT----

some scores ranks were scrambled (e.g. TOP 1 was "S" but it displays as "A" in the song ranking) but scores, replays were still there, though it doesn't matter to me much :P
peppy
Your rankings should sort themselves out after a few days (they generally cache for 24-48 hours in your client).
Topic Starter
Kitty McWittles

peppy wrote:

If you are getting lag as you say due to disk IO, it is a bug. All textures should be preloaded.
Idk if you were talking to him or both of us, but my lag was just random spikes wherever. I recently found out my secondary drive is 7200rpm instead of 54 like I originally thought, so now I'm thinking having it on my SSD hasn't actually done anything, it just appears to be better because I know the SSD is much faster.

Either way, thanks to ziin I've got it setup how I want it, so thank you.